geemike

Default Brisket novice: Chips aint a smokin'

I'm keeping my grill temp at 260 (upper rack) as measured by my temp
probe resting near the brisket with the tip elevated off the rack and
not touching anything.
That temp requires that I have the off-side burner set to just above
low.
Problem is, my chips aren't smoking in the envelope - which is on the
lower rack. I tried tossing a few on the "char diamonds" below the
lower rack, and still no smoke.

??????????

Thanks

Mike

Reg

geemike wrote:

> I'm keeping my grill temp at 260 (upper rack) as measured by my temp
> probe resting near the brisket with the tip elevated off the rack and
> not touching anything.
> That temp requires that I have the off-side burner set to just above
> low.
> Problem is, my chips aren't smoking in the envelope - which is on the
> lower rack. I tried tossing a few on the "char diamonds" below the
> lower rack, and still no smoke.

If possible, try putting them below the grates close to, but not directly
in the flames. You might need to add extra foil so it doesn't burn up
too quickly.

geemike

You can faintly smell smoke, but there is no visible smoke. Should
there be?

kilikini

"geemike" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> You can faintly smell smoke, but there is no visible smoke. Should
> there be?

Not necessarily. Just a faint blue wisp of smoke coming from the vents.

kili

NotHome

"geemike" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> You can faintly smell smoke, but there is no visible smoke. Should
> there be?

You really don't want to have much at all coming out. If the sniffer says it
is there, you are probably A-OK Too much smoke, too fast = bitter

"geemike" > wrote:
> You can faintly smell smoke, but there is no visible smoke. Should
> there be?

Whispy white smoke is about all ya want, unless ya like yer food ta taste
like creosote!

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

Craig Ramseur

"NotHome" > wrote in
:

> "geemike" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> You can faintly smell smoke, but there is no visible smoke. Should
>> there be?
>>

> You really don't want to have much at all coming out. If the sniffer
> says it is there, you are probably A-OK Too much smoke, too fast =
> bitter

Ain't this the truth. I got amy first offset (Char-Broil silver w/mods) and
tried chicken for the first time...bitter as all get out. The smoke was
POURING out of the chimney. I was concerned that the fire wasnt big enough,
and put some cold fuel on there...sure path to ruination.

I'm trying the 2nd chicken today...we'll see.
--
Now Go Play!

Craig Ramseur

Say It Aint So, Joe. Joseph Littleshoes[_2_] General Cooking 5 03-04-2009 09:35 AM
Aint no time for spaghetti! Andy[_15_] General Cooking 3 11-01-2009 07:36 PM
Tea novice [email protected] Tea 12 06-12-2006 04:44 PM
help for novice Paul Winemaking 5 09-11-2006 12:23 AM
Brisket for the disinterested novice geemike Barbecue 19 08-09-2005 04:11 AM