bk

Default BBQ Festival

I've been speaking with a local non-profit to organize a BBQ and Carribean
food festival in an ocean front park in Miami Beach. My concerns are
licensing requirements for non professionals or any other type of
requirements. The concept would be for local resterants and local back yard
grillers to show off and create some excitment. The organization has to
follow all the rules. Anyone have any experience in this type of situation?
I'd sure appreciate some input. Thanks in advance.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:23:32 GMT, "bk" > wrote:

>I've been speaking with a local non-profit to organize a BBQ and Carribean
>food festival in an ocean front park in Miami Beach. My concerns are
>licensing requirements for non professionals or any other type of
>requirements. The concept would be for local resterants and local back yard
>grillers to show off and create some excitment. The organization has to
>follow all the rules. Anyone have any experience in this type of situation?
>I'd sure appreciate some input. Thanks in advance.

This summer and the summer before the local health department had no
problem with a competition that adhered to the rules of the Kansas
City Barbecue Society. Note especially the info in Rule 24.

http://www.kcbs.us/kcbs_bbq_contest_rules.jsp

BOB

bk wrote:
> I've been speaking with a local non-profit to organize a BBQ and
> Carribean
> food festival in an ocean front park in Miami Beach. My concerns are
> licensing requirements for non professionals or any other type of
> requirements. The concept would be for local resterants and local
> back yard
> grillers to show off and create some excitment. The organization has
> follow all the rules. Anyone have any experience in this type of
> situation?
> I'd sure appreciate some input. Thanks in advance.

There's already an organization in place.
http://www.flbbq.org/main.htm
Click on "Request sanctioning"
Miami Beach should fit right in here if there are any open dates. You
can also check the current calander by clicking on "Contest / Judge
Training"

BOB

--
Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

Edwin Pawlowski

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:23:32 GMT, "bk" > wrote:
>
>>I've been speaking with a local non-profit to organize a BBQ and Carribean
>>food festival in an ocean front park in Miami Beach. My concerns are
>>licensing requirements for non professionals or any other type of
>>requirements. The concept would be for local resterants and local back
>>yard
>>grillers to show off and create some excitment. The organization has to
>>follow all the rules. Anyone have any experience in this type of
>>situation?
>>I'd sure appreciate some input. Thanks in advance.
>>

> This summer and the summer before the local health department had no
> problem with a competition that adhered to the rules of the Kansas
> City Barbecue Society. Note especially the info in Rule 24.
>
> http://www.kcbs.us/kcbs_bbq_contest_rules.jsp

That covers competition, but my interpretation is the OP is interested in
selling food. Different rules if that is the case.

Steve Calvin

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
>
>>On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:23:32 GMT, "bk" > wrote:
>>

>>>I've been speaking with a local non-profit to organize a BBQ and Carribean
>>>food festival in an ocean front park in Miami Beach. My concerns are
>>>licensing requirements for non professionals or any other type of
>>>requirements. The concept would be for local resterants and local back
>>>yard
>>>grillers to show off and create some excitment. The organization has to
>>>follow all the rules. Anyone have any experience in this type of
>>>situation?
>>>I'd sure appreciate some input. Thanks in advance.
>>>

>>This summer and the summer before the local health department had no
>>problem with a competition that adhered to the rules of the Kansas
>>City Barbecue Society. Note especially the info in Rule 24.
>>
>>http://www.kcbs.us/kcbs_bbq_contest_rules.jsp

> That covers competition, but my interpretation is the OP is interested in
> selling food. Different rules if that is the case.

Just a thought. Could they sell admission tickets and give away samples
of the food and by-pass some of the red tape?

--
Steve
Ever notice that putting the and IRS together makes "theirs"?

Matthew L. Martin

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Just a thought. Could they sell admission tickets and give away samples
> of the food and by-pass some of the red tape?

Not that I know anything about the particulars, but if there is an
insurance company involved, they will probably set the rules and they
may well be more strict than the local authorities.

Matthew

Insurance Companies: The most effective legislative body in the USA.
They make all the rules.
Dave Bugg

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Just a thought. Could they sell admission tickets and give away
> samples of the food and by-pass some of the red tape?

No. Health dept. rules must be followed no matter how you finesse it. And
that is a very goood thing.

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:
> >
> > Just a thought. Could they sell admission tickets and give away samples
> > of the food and by-pass some of the red tape?

> Not that I know anything about the particulars, but if there is an
> insurance company involved, they will probably set the rules and they
> may well be more strict than the local authorities.
>
> Matthew
>
> Insurance Companies: The most effective legislative body in the USA.
> They make all the rules.

Hear! Hear! Mandatory seatbelt and helmet laws defeat Darwinism!

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

Harry Demidavicius

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:24:13 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>> Just a thought. Could they sell admission tickets and give away
>> samples of the food and by-pass some of the red tape?

>No. Health dept. rules must be followed no matter how you finesse it. And
>that is a very goood thing.

Except in Chinatowns everywhere where the BBQ'ed sausage, pork, &
duck is allways hung in the window [like has been for 3,00 years].
Every once in a while the Calgary Health guys descend on them and
make them put the stuff into chilled display cases. A couple of days
later the BBQ product is back in the window. . . . I notice they don't
dick around with the fresh meat & poultry though. That is
refridgerated.

Harry
Steve Calvin

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Steve Calvin wrote:
>

>>Just a thought. Could they sell admission tickets and give away
>>samples of the food and by-pass some of the red tape?

> No. Health dept. rules must be followed no matter how you finesse it. And
> that is a very goood thing.

no, I didn't mean health issues. I meant sales permits, etc...

--
Steve
Ever notice that putting the and IRS together makes "theirs"?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message

>> No. Health dept. rules must be followed no matter how you finesse it.
>> And that is a very goood thing.
>>

> no, I didn't mean health issues. I meant sales permits, etc...
>
> --
> Steve

Without Healtt Deparment approval, there will be no sales permits. The DOH
may have a different name in different states, but you don't get to sell
food unless they give the OK and it is not easy to get without an approved
commercial kitchen.

bk

" BOB" > wrote in message
.. .
> bk wrote:
>> I've been speaking with a local non-profit to organize a BBQ and
>> Carribean
>> food festival in an ocean front park in Miami Beach. My concerns are
>> licensing requirements for non professionals or any other type of
>> requirements. The concept would be for local resterants and local back
>> yard
>> grillers to show off and create some excitment. The organization has to
>> follow all the rules. Anyone have any experience in this type of
>> situation?
>> I'd sure appreciate some input. Thanks in advance.

> There's already an organization in place.
> http://www.flbbq.org/main.htm
> Click on "Request sanctioning"
> Miami Beach should fit right in here if there are any open dates. You can
> also check the current calander by clicking on "Contest / Judge Training"
>
> BOB
>
> --
> Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

Thanks for the link. I've read thru it, but in these florida events are
competitors selling? And if so, are the ones selling licensed and insured?
This seems to be the issue that is killing the concept for the event. If
folks can't sell their food, others won't come to the area.

Barry Bean

"bk" > wrote in news:11gcru4mqus5r66
@corp.supernews.com:

> If
> folks can't sell their food, others won't come to the area.

They do at BBQ contets all across the country!
Edwin Pawlowski

"Barry Bean" > wrote in message
.. .
> "bk" > wrote in news:11gcru4mqus5r66
> @corp.supernews.com:
>
>> If
>> folks can't sell their food, others won't come to the area.
>>

> They do at BBQ contets all across the country!

But not all. At a couple of contests I'm familiar with, there are
commercial vendors that sell while the KCBS contestants are not allowed to
by health regulations. They do not have the approved equipment do get a
permit.

There are "contests" where commercial vendor compete. These are not true
competition, but mostly just a good time and opportunity to make money.
Unlike the MIM or KCBS sanctioned events.

I've never seen where a bunch of DIY bbq guys can set up cookers and sell to
the public. Just won't happen legally.

BOB

bk wrote:
> " BOB" >> There's already an organization in place.
>> http://www.flbbq.org/main.htm
>> Click on "Request sanctioning"
>> Miami Beach should fit right in here if there are any open dates.
>> You can
>> also check the current calander by clicking on "Contest / Judge
>> Training"
>>
>> BOB
>>
>> --
>> Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

> Thanks for the link. I've read thru it, but in these florida events
> are
> competitors selling? And if so, are the ones selling licensed and
> insured?
> This seems to be the issue that is killing the concept for the
> event. If
> folks can't sell their food, others won't come to the area.

I'm hoping that Ricky will see this and answer, but until then, I'll
give what *I THINK* is the way it works.

Yes, the competitors can "vend" their products to the public,
depending on the organizer's rules, and if the competitor has applied
for a "vending permit" from the contest organizer. There are
inspections and sometimes local health department regulations
involved, but from what I've observed, they aren't prohibitive.

In the case of *your* event, *you* would be the organizer, and you
would have to meet all of the local as well as FBA rules and
regulations.

BOB

Owensboro, KY BBQ Festival piedmont Barbecue 0 19-01-2010 01:00 AM
festival in DC Scott Dorsey Tea 0 22-03-2009 12:17 PM
Festival of Lights Virginia Tadrzynski Preserving 1 07-12-2007 03:40 PM
National BBQ Festival BOB General Cooking 0 31-10-2006 09:12 PM
Sonker Festival The Cook General Cooking 1 09-10-2006 07:17 PM