ceed

Default Smokering.

Hi,

I did a great tasting moist and tender brisket yesterday. 13 hours to 190F
internal. A little oak and pecan for smoke during the first few hours. I
am getting a smoke ring, but was wondering how wide it is supposed to be
to be considered "perfect"? I put up some pictures of it he

As you can see it has a smokering, but it's not very wide.

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
Matthew L. Martin

ceed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did a great tasting moist and tender brisket yesterday. 13 hours to
> 190F internal. A little oak and pecan for smoke during the first few
> hours. I am getting a smoke ring, but was wondering how wide it is
> supposed to be to be considered "perfect"? I put up some pictures of it
> he

> As you can see it has a smokering, but it's not very wide.

I'm no judge, but that ring looks fine to me. I've done a few briskets
that didn't develop any ring.

Matthew
Edwin Pawlowski

"ceed"
<ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqr stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com>
wrote in message newsp.svh5wjns21xk10@bobdello...
> Hi,
>
> I did a great tasting moist and tender brisket yesterday.
>>

> As you can see it has a smokering, but it's not very wide.

OK by me. The ring adds no flavor, just appearance.

The last photo show incorrect (IMO) cutting though. If you separate the
point from the flat you can follow the meat grain and not have to go criss
cross the grain.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

ceed

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:28:31 -0500, Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

> The last photo show incorrect (IMO) cutting though. If you separate the
> point from the flat you can follow the meat grain and not have to go
> criss
> cross the grain.

Thanks! Separate it before you cut that part, or separate it as soon as
you start carving?

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
The Naked Whiz

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:39:16 -0500, ceed
wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:28:31 -0500, Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> The last photo show incorrect (IMO) cutting though. If you separate the
>> point from the flat you can follow the meat grain and not have to go
>> criss
>> cross the grain.

>Thanks! Separate it before you cut that part, or separate it as soon as
>you start carving?

Well, often the flat will get done before the point, so some folks
like to separate the two and put the point back on the cooker to make
burnt ends. Cook the point until it is "done", then chop it up, add
some sauce, and then you can put it back on the cooker to get some
more smoke, if you like.

Meanwhile, you can then put the flat in a cooler for a rest and then
slice it up.

TNW

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message newsp.svh8fqpc21xk10@bobdello...
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:28:31 -0500, Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> The last photo show incorrect (IMO) cutting though. If you separate the
>> point from the flat you can follow the meat grain and not have to go
>> criss
>> cross the grain.

> Thanks! Separate it before you cut that part, or separate it as soon as
> you start carving?
>

> --
> //ceed ©¿©¬

Depends. Often, it is just the two of us, I'm going to freeze part of it
so I'll cut the point off, trim the excess fat and wrap it for the freezer.
Whatever is left of the flat the next day will probably get frozen also. If
it is a large group, I trim it when I get to that part.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Brick

On 14-Aug-2005, ceed <ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqr stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:28:31 -0500, Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> > The last photo show incorrect (IMO) cutting though. If you separate the
> > point from the flat you can follow the meat grain and not have to go
> > criss
> > cross the grain.

> Thanks! Separate it before you cut that part, or separate it as soon as
> you start carving?
>

> --
> //ceed ©¿©¬

Matter of fact, I separate the tip from the flat before I cook them. My flat
always gets done before the tip.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)