BratFryinNJ

Default Great Brats

I am from Sheboygan WI and love great brats! I live in NJ now and have
found only Johnsonville Brats out here for the past 5yrs! (I tried some
store brands - ugh!) I looked around online today for Poth Brats
website with no luck. Any one know it? Or Miesfeld's? Of course there
is nothing out here to compare to a terrific Sheboygan Hard Roll.......
Getting ready to "fry out" now! Also, I would never ever pre-soak a
brat! But, I love the beer/onion/butter mixture afterward to keep
brats in (a Nesco works great) for large gatherings so the brats don't
get dry. Thanks!

BratFryinNJ wrote:
> I am from Sheboygan WI and love great brats! I live in NJ now and have
> found only Johnsonville Brats out here for the past 5yrs! (I tried some
> store brands - ugh!) I looked around online today for Poth Brats
> website with no luck. Any one know it? Or Miesfeld's? Of course there
> is nothing out here to compare to a terrific Sheboygan Hard Roll.......
> Getting ready to "fry out" now! Also, I would never ever pre-soak a
> brat! But, I love the beer/onion/butter mixture afterward to keep
> brats in (a Nesco works great) for large gatherings so the brats don't
> get dry. Thanks!

(anti flame suit on) - Jonsonville brats.... NASTY! These are the worst
I have ever eaten... salty, greasy, and full of MSG. In fact, the first
brat I ever ate was a Jonsonville and I vowed to never eat another.
Then I found a local market and had some homemade brats. It was like
day and night.

Try to find a local meat market or even an ethnic market that makes
homemade sausage.

or

http://www.miesfeldsmarket.com/

Try this one too:

http://www.bratwurst.net/

Edwin Pawlowski

"BratFryinNJ" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am from Sheboygan WI and love great brats! I live in NJ now and have
> found only Johnsonville Brats out here for the past 5yrs! (I tried some
> store brands - ugh!)

Consider making your own. Not all that hard to do.

Heavy_Smoker

Edwin Pawlowski said

> "BratFryinNJ" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>I am from Sheboygan WI and love great brats! I live in NJ now and
>>have
>> found only Johnsonville Brats out here for the past 5yrs! (I
>> tried some store brands - ugh!)

> Consider making your own. Not all that hard to do.

I've been considering this. Any favorite websites?

(Actually, I love Johnsonville Hot Italian but the amount of fat is
horrendous. They can be downright dangerous when poked! ;-) )
--
Better living through smoking.
Dave

BratFryinNJ wrote:
> I am from Sheboygan WI and love great brats! I live in NJ now and have
> found only Johnsonville Brats out here for the past 5yrs! (I tried some
> store brands - ugh!) I looked around online today for Poth Brats
> website with no luck. Any one know it? Or Miesfeld's? Of course there
> is nothing out here to compare to a terrific Sheboygan Hard Roll.......
> Getting ready to "fry out" now! Also, I would never ever pre-soak a
> brat! But, I love the beer/onion/butter mixture afterward to keep
> brats in (a Nesco works great) for large gatherings so the brats don't
> get dry. Thanks!

Try Making your own, here is a web site that will help (best recipes on
the web.)
http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/index.htm

Fred C. Dobbs

On 30 Jul 2005 13:30:04 -0700, "BratFryinNJ" >
wrote:

>I am from Sheboygan WI and love great brats! I live in NJ now and have
>found only Johnsonville Brats out here for the past 5yrs! (I tried some
>store brands - ugh!) I looked around online today for Poth Brats
>website with no luck. Any one know it? Or Miesfeld's? Of course there
>is nothing out here to compare to a terrific Sheboygan Hard Roll.......
>Getting ready to "fry out" now! Also, I would never ever pre-soak a
>brat! But, I love the beer/onion/butter mixture afterward to keep
>brats in (a Nesco works great) for large gatherings so the brats don't
>get dry. Thanks!

My fomer Boss's Boss worked out of Lincolnshire IL and he used to
send all of the employees a Christmas package from
http://www.usinger.com/. They are out of WI and they have Brats. If
the quality of their Brats are as good as their Franks, you should be
OK with them.

Fred

"Heavy_Smoker" > wrote:
> Edwin Pawlowski said
> > "BratFryinNJ" > wrote in message
> >
> >>I am from Sheboygan WI and love great brats! I live in NJ now and
> >>have
> >> found only Johnsonville Brats out here for the past 5yrs! (I
> >> tried some store brands - ugh!)

> > Consider making your own. Not all that hard to do.

> I've been considering this. Any favorite websites?
>
> (Actually, I love Johnsonville Hot Italian but the amount of fat is
> horrendous. They can be downright dangerous when poked! ;-) )

"Great Sausage and Meat Curing Recipes", Rytek Kutas, p. 196.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

TDKozan

Fred C. Dobbs wrote:
> On 30 Jul 2005 13:30:04 -0700, "BratFryinNJ" >
> wrote:
>

>>I am from Sheboygan WI and love great brats! I live in NJ now and have
>>found only Johnsonville Brats out here for the past 5yrs! (I tried some
>>store brands - ugh!) I looked around online today for Poth Brats
>>website with no luck. Any one know it? Or Miesfeld's? Of course there
>>is nothing out here to compare to a terrific Sheboygan Hard Roll.......
>>Getting ready to "fry out" now! Also, I would never ever pre-soak a
>>brat! But, I love the beer/onion/butter mixture afterward to keep
>>brats in (a Nesco works great) for large gatherings so the brats don't
>>get dry. Thanks!

> My fomer Boss's Boss worked out of Lincolnshire IL and he used to
> send all of the employees a Christmas package from
> http://www.usinger.com/. They are out of WI and they have Brats. If
> the quality of their Brats are as good as their Franks, you should be
> OK with them.
>
> Fred

Add another vote for Usinger's. Their brats are the best I've come
across.

TK

--
Cogito ergo bibo
Edwin Pawlowski

"Heavy_Smoker" > wrote in message

> I've been considering this. Any favorite websites?
>
> (Actually, I love Johnsonville Hot Italian but the amount of fat is
> horrendous. They can be downright dangerous when poked! ;-) )

Start with mine and you will find links on the Sausage Ring to many more.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Heavy_Smoker

Edwin Pawlowski said

> "Heavy_Smoker" > wrote in message
>>
>> I've been considering this. Any favorite websites?
>>

> Start with mine and you will find links on the Sausage Ring to
> many more.

Thanks. Great site.

I did a bit of surfing on other sites too. I didn't have any idea
there was that much to making sausages. I'm not sure I'm interested
in cold smoking and such. Maybe someday.

Can I just take your "Italian Cheese and Red Wine Sausage" and smoke
it in my WSM.... until ~180F?

--
Better living through smoking.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Heavy_Smoker" > wrote in message
> I did a bit of surfing on other sites too. I didn't have any idea
> there was that much to making sausages. I'm not sure I'm interested
> in cold smoking and such. Maybe someday.
>
> Can I just take your "Italian Cheese and Red Wine Sausage" and smoke
> it in my WSM.... until ~180F?

Sure. Cold smoking is for curing. Hot smoking is for cooking. I do a lot of
Italian and Brats for the grill. I also make a lot of breakfast sausage but
just fry it as patties, not stuffed into casings. We keep some of the
Italian bulk packed for lasagna also.

bbq

BratFryinNJ wrote:
> I am from Sheboygan WI and love great brats! I live in NJ now and have
> found only Johnsonville Brats out here for the past 5yrs! (I tried some
> store brands - ugh!) I looked around online today for Poth Brats
> website with no luck. Any one know it? Or Miesfeld's? Of course there
> is nothing out here to compare to a terrific Sheboygan Hard Roll.......
> Getting ready to "fry out" now! Also, I would never ever pre-soak a
> brat! But, I love the beer/onion/butter mixture afterward to keep
> brats in (a Nesco works great) for large gatherings so the brats don't
> get dry. Thanks!

I have tried some 'store brands' also and not been impressed. Also, I
have tried making my own with recipes found on the net. Didn't come out
as good as I would like. So it's back to Johnsonville!!!

Found a recipe for Sheyboygan rolls, but have not had the time to try
and make them. When I was looking for the Sheyboygan roll recipe, I
learned that at a 'Brat Fry' it's not uncommon to have a double(2 brats
in one roll). I can't imagine trying to eat one of them.

Have done the soak in beer/onions before q'ing and will not do that
again. Maybe will try soaking in beer onions after cooking though.

BBQ
Jimbo

I was born and raised in WI.
I will never eat a Johnsonville product.
They are for all reasons below dog food .

Family and friends favorite is Usingers or Klements.
Klements is the best of the two.
Some small town German butchers make great stuff
but if you want it shipped in dry ice check out this Klements site.

We now live in FL and get um this way.

http://www.klements.com/cgi-bin/fron...P68b&prod=4340

"BratFryinNJ" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am from Sheboygan WI and love great brats! I live in NJ now and have
> found only Johnsonville Brats out here for the past 5yrs! (I tried some
> store brands - ugh!) I looked around online today for Poth Brats
> website with no luck. Any one know it? Or Miesfeld's? Of course there
> is nothing out here to compare to a terrific Sheboygan Hard Roll.......
> Getting ready to "fry out" now! Also, I would never ever pre-soak a
> brat! But, I love the beer/onion/butter mixture afterward to keep
> brats in (a Nesco works great) for large gatherings so the brats don't
> get dry. Thanks!

kilikini

"Fred C. Dobbs" > wrote in message
> On 30 Jul 2005 13:30:04 -0700, "BratFryinNJ" >
> wrote:
>
> >I am from Sheboygan WI and love great brats! I live in NJ now and have
> >found only Johnsonville Brats out here for the past 5yrs! (I tried some
> >store brands - ugh!) I looked around online today for Poth Brats
> >website with no luck. Any one know it? Or Miesfeld's? Of course there
> >is nothing out here to compare to a terrific Sheboygan Hard Roll.......
> >Getting ready to "fry out" now! Also, I would never ever pre-soak a
> >brat! But, I love the beer/onion/butter mixture afterward to keep
> >brats in (a Nesco works great) for large gatherings so the brats don't
> >get dry. Thanks!

> My fomer Boss's Boss worked out of Lincolnshire IL and he used to
> send all of the employees a Christmas package from
> http://www.usinger.com/. They are out of WI and they have Brats. If
> the quality of their Brats are as good as their Franks, you should be
> OK with them.
>
> Fred

Usingers is one of the best, for sure, but if he's from Sheboygan, he
already knows that. :~)

kili <----------former cheesehead turned Californian/Hawaiian and now
Floridian and hating Florida.

kilikini

"Jimbo" > wrote in message
> I was born and raised in WI.
> I will never eat a Johnsonville product.
> They are for all reasons below dog food .
>
> Family and friends favorite is Usingers or Klements.
> Klements is the best of the two.
> Some small town German butchers make great stuff
> but if you want it shipped in dry ice check out this Klements site.
>
> We now live in FL and get um this way.

http://www.klements.com/cgi-bin/fron...0P68b&prod=434
0

Where in hellhole FL are you located, Jimbo? We're in Pasco County, above
Tampa.

kili

BratFryinNJ

Being from Sheboygan (Brat Capital in the US) I have tried all the best
brats! Poth & Meisfelds are the best! Usingers are good, too. I don't
really want to make my own, for lazy reason's, just want to crack open
a cold beer, rip open a pack of brats, and put them on the hot grill!
Double brats are very common in Sheboygan! I have had them myself, but
they are messy to eat! Have you ever been to Sheboygan's Bratwurst Days
Festival? They have a brat eating contest, and the contestant that eats
the most double brats wins! Good stuff! But must be sooo very unhealthy
in more ways than one! One favorite of mine is the bratburger. Its a
Sheboygan hardroll with a hamburger patty and a brat patty
(Johnsonville makes them). Mmmmm Good!!!!

Jack Schidt®

"BratFryinNJ" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am from Sheboygan WI and love great brats! I live in NJ now and have
> found only Johnsonville Brats out here for the past 5yrs! (I tried some
> store brands - ugh!) I looked around online today for Poth Brats
> website with no luck. Any one know it? Or Miesfeld's? Of course there
> is nothing out here to compare to a terrific Sheboygan Hard Roll.......
> Getting ready to "fry out" now! Also, I would never ever pre-soak a
> brat! But, I love the beer/onion/butter mixture afterward to keep
> brats in (a Nesco works great) for large gatherings so the brats don't
> get dry. Thanks!

If you have a Karl Ehmer store near you, check them out. They sell both
cooked and raw bratwurst, both a lot better than Johnsonville, which IMO is
lousy wurst. KE has a website, too. The best bratwurst I've bought in the
U.S. is at the Forest Pork Store in Queens. They make it right there in the
store.

Others have correctly pointed you to 'rolling your own'. Try it, as it's
fun to make and not all that difficult.

Jack

Jack Schidt®

"BratFryinNJ" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Being from Sheboygan (Brat Capital in the US) I have tried all the best
> brats! Poth & Meisfelds are the best! Usingers are good, too. I don't
> really want to make my own, for lazy reason's, just want to crack open
> a cold beer, rip open a pack of brats, and put them on the hot grill!
> Double brats are very common in Sheboygan! I have had them myself, but
> they are messy to eat! Have you ever been to Sheboygan's Bratwurst Days
> Festival? They have a brat eating contest, and the contestant that eats
> the most double brats wins! Good stuff! But must be sooo very unhealthy
> in more ways than one! One favorite of mine is the bratburger. Its a
> Sheboygan hardroll with a hamburger patty and a brat patty
> (Johnsonville makes them). Mmmmm Good!!!!

LMAO

Jack

Jimbo

> Where in hellhole FL are you located, Jimbo? We're in Pasco County, above
> Tampa.
>
> kili

Walton County Destin Gulf Coast Panhandle area ....
Where all the F'ing hurricanes aim at.

bbq

BratFryinNJ wrote:

> Being from Sheboygan (Brat Capital in the US) I have tried all the best
> brats! Poth & Meisfelds are the best! Usingers are good, too. I don't
> really want to make my own, for lazy reason's, just want to crack open
> a cold beer, rip open a pack of brats, and put them on the hot grill!
> Double brats are very common in Sheboygan! I have had them myself, but
> they are messy to eat! Have you ever been to Sheboygan's Bratwurst Days
> Festival? They have a brat eating contest, and the contestant that eats
> the most double brats wins! Good stuff! But must be sooo very unhealthy
> in more ways than one! One favorite of mine is the bratburger. Its a
> Sheboygan hardroll with a hamburger patty and a brat patty
> (Johnsonville makes them). Mmmmm Good!!!!

Have not been to the Brat Festival, but do have a friend living in
Sheboygan and imagine he has. I looked it up to find out it is this
coming weekend. Sounds like a lot of fun. Doubt I would enter the
contest though. Quantity eating contests don't turn me on. Speed eating
maybe, but not quantity.

The bratburger sounds interesting for sure.

BBQ

kilikini

"Jimbo" > wrote in message

> > Where in hellhole FL are you located, Jimbo? We're in Pasco County,

above
> > Tampa.
> >
> > kili

> Walton County Destin Gulf Coast Panhandle area ....
> Where all the F'ing hurricanes aim at.

Oh, shoots! I'm sorry! I feel for you. And from what's expected, you're
not gonna get a break for the remainder of the season either. Good luck, my
friend and stay dry.

kili

Leacha

I feel your pain! I'm from northern Illinois near the border and I
moved to Colorado a few years ago. No brats, hot dogs, polish, kraut,
etc. Oh, and don't get me started on pizza or trying to explain an
italian beef to someone.

Anyways look up local butcher shops. Some of them will make thier own
sausages and what nots. Try 'em you might find something you like. Also
try making your own brats. Here is a recipe I pulled off a NG a few
years ago.

Sorry I do not have the original posters name to give credit to.

Fresh Bratwurst
10 lbs.

1 to 2 cups cold whole milk
4 eggs
5 tbs. salt
1 tbs. mace
1 tbs. ground black pepper
2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. ground ginger
6 lbs. trimmed pork butts and 4 lbs. trimmed beef chuck or
6 lbs. trimmed pork butts, 2 lbs. trimmed beef chuck and 2 lbs. veal

Grind the meat through a 3/8" grinder plate into a large container for
mixing. Mix the spices together and add to the meat with the milk and
eggs. Mix the ingredients well taking care to keep the meat cold
throughout the sausage making process. This is a fresh sausage, so add
no curing salt.

Stuff sausage into any size hog casing and link about 6" long. Separate
links with a sharp knife, place sausage in plastic food containers and
refrigerate immediately. Fresh sausage is very perishable and should be
cooked within 24 hours or frozen. Fresh bratwurst has become one of the
new grilling favorites throughout the U.S. It is a unique sausage and
this is a time-tested recipe.

Fred C. Dobbs

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 10:39:42 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>"Jimbo" > wrote in message
>> I was born and raised in WI.
>> I will never eat a Johnsonville product.
>> They are for all reasons below dog food .
>>
>> Family and friends favorite is Usingers or Klements.
>> Klements is the best of the two.
>> Some small town German butchers make great stuff
>> but if you want it shipped in dry ice check out this Klements site.
>>
>> We now live in FL and get um this way.
>>

>http://www.klements.com/cgi-bin/fron...0P68b&prod=434
>0
>

>Where in hellhole FL are you located, Jimbo? We're in Pasco County, above
>Tampa.
>
>kili

That's your problem you live in Pasco County, that is a hellhole,
compared to most places in California.

Fred, formerly a Floridian and now a Californian
kilikini

4
> >0
> >

> >Where in hellhole FL are you located, Jimbo? We're in Pasco County,

above
> >Tampa.
> >
> >kili
> >

> That's your problem you live in Pasco County, that is a hellhole,
> compared to most places in California.
>
> Fred, formerly a Floridian and now a Californian

I'm a former California/Hawaiian turned Floridian. Why do you think I hate
it?

kili

Fred C. Dobbs

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 23:14:13 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

snip
>I'm a former California/Hawaiian turned Floridian. Why do you think I hate
>it?
>
>kili

Hey there are much better places than Pasco County in Florida, You
need to move south and west to the Gulf beaches or East to the
Atlantic Coast or South east to the coast or to the Keys Somewhere
near civilization

Fred
kilikini

"Fred C. Dobbs" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 23:14:13 GMT, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
> snip
> >I'm a former California/Hawaiian turned Floridian. Why do you think I

hate
> >it?
> >
> >kili
> >

> Hey there are much better places than Pasco County in Florida, You
> need to move south and west to the Gulf beaches or East to the
> Atlantic Coast or South east to the coast or to the Keys Somewhere
> near civilization
>
> Fred

True, but we own a house and my husband has a job here. We're stuck for a
while. I'll just continue to morn Maui.

kili

Harry Demidavicius

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 17:26:34 -0500, bbq > wrote:

wrote:

>> "Heavy_Smoker" > wrote:
>>
>>>Edwin Pawlowski said

>>>I've been considering this. Any favorite websites?
>>>
>>>(Actually, I love Johnsonville Hot Italian but the amount of fat is
>>>horrendous. They can be downright dangerous when poked! ;-) )

>> "Great Sausage and Meat Curing Recipes", Rytek Kutas, p. 196.
>>

>After seeing this book recommended a number of times, I finally placed
>an order for it today.
>
>BBQ

It's a great book. I've had it for years - I just cut back on his
salt rations.

Harry

Brats z z General Cooking 8 13-06-2013 01:29 AM
Backyard Brats Beth Layman Recipes (moderated) 0 08-06-2005 04:06 AM
Brats! Bill Rehm Barbecue 18 10-06-2004 11:33 PM
lookin for best Brats nexus Barbecue 10 16-02-2004 07:50 PM