dwacon

Default Yelow fat?

I was watching that documentary on hamburgers and this guy from Texas was saying that if cows eat only grass, their fat is yellow and yellow fat won't stick to your arteries. It is corn fed cows that produce white fat which will kill you.

Is this guy full of it or is he onto something?

I would like to eat more red meat to get natural creatine in my diet... and of course marbeled meat is tastier than the lean, lean stuff that you have to cook medium or less to avoid it tasting like shoe leather. So, izzit true... and, if so, where can I find beef with the yellow fat.

And please, no replies dealing with urine or such.

Thanks!

--
I made magic once. Now, the sofa is gone...
http://www.dwacon.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-0, 07/04/2005
Tested on: 7/5/2005 2:50:43 PM

Edwin Pawlowski

" dwacon" > wrote in message

> And please, no replies dealing with urine or such.

> Thanks!

No, stinky urine is from asparagus.

You're welcome

dwacon wrote:
> I was watching that documentary on hamburgers and this guy from Texas was saying that if cows eat only grass, their fat is yellow and yellow fat won't stick to your arteries. It is corn fed cows that produce white fat which will kill you.
>
> Is this guy full of it or is he onto something?
>
> I would like to eat more red meat to get natural creatine in my diet... and of course marbeled meat is tastier than the lean, lean stuff that you have to cook medium or less to avoid it tasting like shoe leather. So, izzit true... and, if so, where can I find beef with the yellow fat.
>
> And please, no replies dealing with urine or such.
>
> Thanks!

True? Probably not, but I am no expert.

I will say that in my time of restaurant employment and meat cutting
experience, the only yellow fat I saw was Country Cured pork fatback.
All of the beef we cut (both Choice and Black Angus) came with solid
white or ivory colored fat.

I cannot say if he is full of {used grass} or if he might know some
hidden secret, so you will have to use your own judgement. I can see
where that solid grass fed cows might have a slightly different taste
that corn fed cows, but I cannot see where it would make a difference
in the fat.

Just my tuppence.

Jon

D. Alan

There is a difference in the fat content of grass-fed beef (natural
beef) and grain-fed beef (feed-lot aberrations). Grass-fed beef has
less saturated fat and more omega-3 EFA (polyunsaturated fat). In that
regard, grass-fed beef is healthier in that the typical American diet
is deficient in omega-3 EFAs. Research has shown that putting a cow on
grain for only a few weeks prior to slaughter substantially reduces the
omega-3 content and increases the saturated fat content. If all you
ever eat is grain-fed beef, then grass-fed beef may taste slightly
sweet and "wild". Some people liken the taste to venison. I much
prefer the rich taste of grass-fed beef to the bland taste of grain-fed
beef. Grass-fed steaks should not be cooked past medium rare or they
tend to dry out and toughen.

Last weekend, I smoked several grass-fed cuts of chuck roast, arm
roasts and brisket from half a cow I bought from a local farmer earlier
this year (although what my meat processor labeled as brisket was
mostly unidentified bones with little brisket meat attached - I need to
dig through the chest freezer for the rest of the brisket. Hopefully,
the meat processor did not grind it into ground beef.) After about 14
hours in the WSM, I had some very good barbecue which I pulled and
enjoyed. There was slightly less residual fat then with grain-fed beef
and the fat in the sink after pulling was mostly yellow and did not
harden as much as the white fat from grain-fed beef, probably because
of the lower saturated fat content.

KenR

D. Alan wrote:

>[snip] If all you
>ever eat is grain-fed beef, then grass-fed beef may taste slightly
>sweet and "wild". Some people liken the taste to venison. I much
>prefer the rich taste of grass-fed beef to the bland taste of grain-fed
>beef. Grass-fed steaks should not be cooked past medium rare or they
>tend to dry out and toughen.

When I was a young man in Alberta whenever beef prices got too high,
horse meat became available in specialty shops. I was always
disappointed when beef prices dropped and the horse meat shops closed.
I remember thinking that the horse was much sweeter than the beef. I am
guessing that after reading the above, maybe the grass diet was what did it.

KenR

dwacon

"D. Alan" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> There is a difference in the fat content of grass-fed beef (natural
> beef) and grain-fed beef (feed-lot aberrations). Grass-fed beef has
> less saturated fat and more omega-3 EFA (polyunsaturated fat). In that
> regard, grass-fed beef is healthier in that the typical American diet
> is deficient in omega-3 EFAs. Research has shown that putting a cow on
> grain for only a few weeks prior to slaughter substantially reduces the
> omega-3 content and increases the saturated fat content. If all you
> ever eat is grain-fed beef, then grass-fed beef may taste slightly
> sweet and "wild". Some people liken the taste to venison. I much
> prefer the rich taste of grass-fed beef to the bland taste of grain-fed
> beef. Grass-fed steaks should not be cooked past medium rare or they
> tend to dry out and toughen.
>
> Last weekend, I smoked several grass-fed cuts of chuck roast, arm
> roasts and brisket from half a cow I bought from a local farmer earlier
> this year (although what my meat processor labeled as brisket was
> mostly unidentified bones with little brisket meat attached - I need to
> dig through the chest freezer for the rest of the brisket. Hopefully,
> the meat processor did not grind it into ground beef.) After about 14
> hours in the WSM, I had some very good barbecue which I pulled and
> enjoyed. There was slightly less residual fat then with grain-fed beef
> and the fat in the sink after pulling was mostly yellow and did not
> harden as much as the white fat from grain-fed beef, probably because
> of the lower saturated fat content.

Great content. Thanks!

---
Now featuring Jo Lo Lingerie by Jennifer Lopez
http://www.cafepress.com/dwacon

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-2, 07/08/2005
Tested on: 7/9/2005 2:31:01 AM