phyteach

Default trimming spares questions

Greetings,

Can anyone point me to a website with [pictures for how to do
this? Also suggestions for what to do with the trimmings would be
appreciated. I am considering bbq those in a weber kettle while the
ribs cook in the smoker, and chopping them into bite size "nibbles" for
an appetizer.

Regards,
Scott

Duwop

"phyteach" > wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> Can anyone point me to a website with [pictures for how to do
> this? Also suggestions for what to do with the trimmings would be
> appreciated. I am considering bbq those in a weber kettle while the
> ribs cook in the smoker, and chopping them into bite size "nibbles" for
> an appetizer.

I don't do this myself, but got a link that someone else posted once apon a
drunk:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribselect1.html

Dave Bugg

phyteach wrote:

> Can anyone point me to a website with [pictures for how to do
> this?

I suggest NOT trimming.
--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

phyteach

Dave,

I'm now very curious. Do you trim your spares in your restaraunt?
Also, I'm a bit concerned about different parts getting done at
different times i.e. the skirt finishing and drying out before the ribs
are done. Or am I just taking too much of ohters advice on faith?
Thanks,

Scott

BOB

"phyteach" > wrote in message
oups.com
> Dave,
>
> I'm now very curious. Do you trim your spares in your
> restaraunt?
> Also, I'm a bit concerned about different parts getting done at
> different times i.e. the skirt finishing and drying out before the
> ribs
> are done. Or am I just taking too much of ohters advice on faith?
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

I trim if I'm concerned about presentation.
All other times, untrimmed spares are what I cook. More meat per rib.
It all gets done at the same time.
When I do trim the ribs, I trim similar to a St. Louis cut, and cook
the rib tips around the edges of the grill at the same time. Rib tips
do get done sooner, but they're the chef's treat to sample while
everything else is cooking.

BOB

Duwop

"phyteach" > wrote in message

> are done. Or am I just taking too much of ohters advice on faith?

Bet the same people are telling you to do other "contest required" things,
like removing the membrane, adding a glaze of some kind, foiling to
finish......basically tarting up a good piece of meat like a 10 cent hooker
that doesn't need it outside the contest carnival tent.

Dave Bugg

phyteach wrote:
> Dave,
>
> I'm now very curious. Do you trim your spares in your restaraunt?

Nope. In fact, those patrons who'd previously been indoctrinated by the
"babybacks are nirvana" bandwagon, would probably pitch a fit if I served
'em any other way. :-)

> Also, I'm a bit concerned about different parts getting done at
> different times i.e. the skirt finishing and drying out before the
> ribs are done. Or am I just taking too much of ohters advice on
> faith? Thanks,

'Q 'em at 250F, and when you can bend the thickest part back and crack the
meat away from the bone, it's ready to pull. I also leave the membrane on.
--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Barbecue Spares bbq Barbecue 4 03-07-2011 07:49 AM
Trimming Spareribs aem General Cooking 3 26-06-2006 07:16 PM
Spares & the f-word Douglas Barber Barbecue 6 21-06-2004 02:26 AM
Spares have made it to the WSM Matthew L. Martin Barbecue 13 15-03-2004 02:44 AM