PB

Default Smoker BBQ - cooking takes too long?

Hello

Got myself a Char-Broil Sierra smoker/barbeque and so far it's been
fantastic. I tried my hand at slow cooking using the firebox to indirectly
cook some ribs and lamb chops (two different nights). I have a book I'm
reading and it tells me that is should take between 45 and 55min to cook the
chops (rare) at 200-225F. I was at 325F (according to my thermometer) for 2
hours before I gave up and "cheated" by moving the chops next to the firebox
side of the grill and basically ended up grilling the darn things so my
family wouldn't starve to death. Even then thick areas of the meat where
rare/medium rare.

Some quick info on the cook:

- used a full chimney of lump charcoal for fuel, adding half a dozen or so
approx every 20min or so.
- started with damper system (firebox + chimney opposite side of grill) at
1/4 then opened it up 100% after an hour of cooking and realizing the meat
was not cooking.
- opened only once (1 hour in) to check things out.

The American Gourmet Smoker is the same style smoker I'm using except mine
is larger at 492 square inches.
http://www.charbroil.com/smokers/index.asp

I need help

Thanks for your time.