Default Big Jim's Lazy-Q FAQ

Big Jim's Lazy-Q FAQ
----------------------
--------
Contents
--------
Introduction
I=2E Frequently Asked Questions
II. Methods
III. Recipes
IV. The Story of Mile Marker 113
-------------
Introduction
-------------
"The most important thing I can tell someone about smoke cooking is to
keep
it simple. Learn to cook the meat first, then add the rubs and such if
you
don't like what it tastes like. You may find that you won't want any
more
than S&P. Good luck. Big Jim"

Note: Big Jim barbecues in off-set, propane fueled pits of his own
design. This information is for those who want to know more about his
cooking methods. This FAQ was complied from postings collected on the
AFB
internet newsgroup.

-------
I=2E FAQ
-------

Q: At what temperature do you Q?:
A: "I cook butts,briskets,ribs and chicken every day (well almost) and
run my pits above
300=B0 as high as 400=B0 a lot of times. It is justa matter of
preference.
There are folks that will say there is only one way cook BBQ. Low and
Slow. Well son it ain't so. What I am saying is you don't have to start

yesterday or the day before to eat smoke cooked meat today."

Q: Do all the usual Q' meats (Ribs, Chicken, Turkey) work as well as
the brisket at this temp range?
A: "Yes. I don't trim any fat. If there is a lot left after cooking I
trim it then.
I am one of the ones that like FAT."

Q: Do you leave out or just use a little sugar as a rub ingredient due
to the higher temps?
A: "I don't use sugar in my rub, No particular reason, other than when
I was
learning to smoke cook I cooked nekked. After I learned to properly
cook the
meat. I decided that all It needed was S&P." (See "Big Jim's Rub in
Recipes)

Q: What info do you have on how much propane is used for a cook?
A: On one of my 30" X 96" (250 gallon) pits I get around 2 days cooking

out
of a 20# cylinder. On the R2D2 type pits you might get a weeks cooking
out of a tank.

Q: How much wood do you use? How much smoke is ideal?
A: "Remember you don't need a lot of smoke. just two or three fist size
chunks. One at a time."

------------
II.Methods
------------
"I cook BUTTS fat side up and briskets fat side down. I seem to get
less
waste on the brisket. On ribs. BONE side down."

------------
III. Recipes
------------

Big Jim's Rub
-------------
3# Kosher Salt
1# Restaurant grind black pepper
about =BD a 1# size of Durkee 6 Pepper Blend
4 tablespoons of granulated garlic.

Directions:
"I sprinkle it on until it looks like the pepper is right. [...]
just before I put it in the pit."

Big Jim's Rib Glaze (3 versions)
--------------------------------
"The ribs get a painting of my version of Danny Gaulden's glaze. The
glaze started life as a ham glaze and has at least 3 versions."

A=2E) Original

1/3 cup each of
brown sugar
apple cider vinegar
yeller mustard.

B=2E) Second Version

1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup each of
mustard
apple cider vinegar

C=2E)Latest version
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
=BC cup mustard

Mix all the ingredients together in a sauce pan and simmer for a few
minutes.

Notes:
"Some paint the ribs about 15 minutes before taking them off the pit
and
again after they are off. I paint mine when I take them off. I paint
both
sides. I make a double batch and nuke for 3 minutes. All the simmering
does is
dissolve the sugar."

Big Jim's Jalapeno and Cheddar Hushpuppies

2 c white selfrising cornmeal
2 eggs
1/4 c fine chopped onions
1/4 c shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 c fine chopped japaleno peppers
1/4 ts salt
Orange juice

Mix all ingredients until well blended. Add orange juice until it makes

stiff moist batter.
Drop by teaspoon (like you stir tea with) into 350 degree oil and fry
until
golden brown. drain on paper towels and eat.

--------------------------------
IV. The Story of Mile Marker 113
--------------------------------

"Happened in '98 on the way to a Q-Fest. Had a small trailer pit behind

OMJ's
station wagon. On the front of that was tied a small Backyard pit for
Bill
Martin. We had just made the comment that everything was going well and

only
had 25 miles to go. About that time BOOM a brand new tire goes on the
trailer. Pull over to the side of the road at mile marker 113. Anyway a
spring had broken and the axle skewed and the fender cut the tire. No
way to
fix it.So I leave OMJ with the pit and go looking for a U-Haul to drag
the
little trailer up on and get it to Morton. 3 hours later I ain't found
U-Haul. So we take everything we can and leave the two pits on the side

of
the road. Check into the motel and find an auto parts store and buy a
9/16"
wrench, a hacksaw and a U-bolt kit. Decided to take the broke spring
off and
mount the axle direct to the frame with the U-bolts. Getting dark so
decide
to wait till early morning and go back with Bill Martin and his truck
and
load His pit on the truck and he can take it to the park so they can
start
cooking. Me and Dave Clark stand the trailer on it's ass end so I can
get to
the springs and axle. Bill and Dave take off ro the park and start
cooking.
I hacksaw the springs and axle off and mount the axle to the frame with

the
U-Bolts. Hook up and head to the park. Too late for breakfast that day
so we
fix breakfast in the Motel parking lot the next morning.
Bill Martin named the pit Ole 113."

Compiled 5/13/2004 by Rob Ainbinder,

Who is too lazy to... jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 277 15-06-2015 04:15 AM
Big Jim's Lazy-Q FAQ [email protected] Barbecue 0 12-08-2006 09:48 PM
Big Jim's Lazy-Q FAQ [email protected] Barbecue 0 21-10-2005 09:33 PM
Big Jim's Lazy-Q FAQ Rob Barbecue 3 19-11-2004 03:30 PM
Just how lazy have we become? TBK General Cooking 117 16-11-2003 02:21 AM