bk

Default 13 pound brisket

13 pounds, 17 hours at 250.
fork tested and it feels tough, firm maybe dry. I'm very concerned. Hope I
didn't F it up.

bk

"bk" > wrote in message
> 13 pounds, 17 hours at 250.
> fork tested and it feels tough, firm maybe dry. I'm very concerned. Hope I
> didn't F it up.
>Internal temp is 185

BOB

bk wrote:
> "bk" > wrote in message
>> 13 pounds, 17 hours at 250.
>> fork tested and it feels tough, firm maybe dry. I'm very concerned.
>> Hope I didn't F it up.
>> Internal temp is 185

what are you cooking it in, and where are you taking the cooking temp?

bk

" BOB" > wrote in message
> bk wrote:
>> "bk" > wrote in message
>>> 13 pounds, 17 hours at 250.
>>> fork tested and it feels tough, firm maybe dry. I'm very concerned.
>>> Hope I didn't F it up.
>>> Internal temp is 185

> what are you cooking it in, and where are you taking the cooking temp?
>Cooken large BGE, temp taken in flat.

At 187 internal temp, I removed from egg, basted it up, wrapped in foil and
returned to egg with all vents closed.It's been like this for 2.5 hours now.
Current Egg temp is 150.

Brick

On 25-Dec-2004, "bk" > wrote:

> " BOB" > wrote in message
> > bk wrote:

> > what are you cooking it in, and where are you taking the cooking temp?
> >Cooken large BGE, temp taken in flat.

> At 187 internal temp, I removed from egg, basted it up, wrapped in foil
> and
> returned to egg with all vents closed.It's been like this for 2.5 hours
> now.
> Current Egg temp is 150.

I must be missing something here. At 185° internal your brisket still tests
tough. You need to get it hotter, but your cooker is only at 150°. I'd like
to understand how that meat is supposed to get hotter under those
conditions.
Cooker temp of 225° would work, but 250° would be a lot better.
--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Brick

On 25-Dec-2004, "bk" > wrote:

> " BOB" > wrote in message
> > bk wrote:

> > what are you cooking it in, and where are you taking the cooking temp?
> >Cooken large BGE, temp taken in flat.

> At 187 internal temp, I removed from egg, basted it up, wrapped in foil
> and
> returned to egg with all vents closed.It's been like this for 2.5 hours
> now.
> Current Egg temp is 150.

I must be missing something here. At 185° internal your brisket still tests
tough. You need to get it hotter, but your cooker is only at 150°. I'd like
to understand how that meat is supposed to get hotter under those
conditions.
Cooker temp of 225° would work, but 250° would be a lot better.
--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Brick

On 25-Dec-2004, "bk" > wrote:

> " BOB" > wrote in message
> > bk wrote:

> > what are you cooking it in, and where are you taking the cooking temp?
> >Cooken large BGE, temp taken in flat.

> At 187 internal temp, I removed from egg, basted it up, wrapped in foil
> and
> returned to egg with all vents closed.It's been like this for 2.5 hours
> now.
> Current Egg temp is 150.

I must be missing something here. At 185° internal your brisket still tests
tough. You need to get it hotter, but your cooker is only at 150°. I'd like
to understand how that meat is supposed to get hotter under those
conditions.
Cooker temp of 225° would work, but 250° would be a lot better.
--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

BOB

Brick wrote:
> On 25-Dec-2004, "bk" > wrote:

>>> what are you cooking it in, and where are you taking the cooking
>>> temp?

>> Cooken large BGE, temp taken in flat.

Where are you taking the cooking temperature of the egg? Dome or grate?
Remember, the grate temperature is higher than the grate. Your meat is on
the grate, so it is cooking at a lower temperature than you are reading up
in the dome.

>> At 187 internal temp, I removed from egg, basted it up, wrapped in
>> foil and
>> returned to egg with all vents closed.It's been like this for 2.5
>> hours now.
>> Current Egg temp is 150.

> I must be missing something here. At 185° internal your brisket still
> tests tough. You need to get it hotter, but your cooker is only at
> 150°. I'd like to understand how that meat is supposed to get hotter
> under those conditions.
> Cooker temp of 225° would work, but 250° would be a lot better.

Exactly. if your cooking the meat at a lower temperature than it already
is, you'll never get the meat temperature to rise.

Think about it. If you put a pan of water in an oven at 200 degrees, it
cannot possibly get to boiling temperature of 212 degrees. Laws of
physics. It will take almost forever to get to the 200 degree
temperature.

BOB

bk

" BOB" > wrote in message
> Brick wrote:

>>> Cooken large BGE, temp taken in flat.

> Where are you taking the cooking temperature of the egg? Dome or grate?
> Remember, the grate temperature is higher than the grate. Your meat is on
> the grate, so it is cooking at a lower temperature than you are reading up
> in the dome.
>
>>> At 187 internal temp, I removed from egg, basted it up, wrapped in
>>> foil and
>>> returned to egg with all vents closed.It's been like this for 2.5
>>> hours now.
>>> Current Egg temp is 150.

>> I must be missing something here. At 185° internal your brisket still
>> tests tough. You need to get it hotter, but your cooker is only at
>> 150°. I'd like to understand how that meat is supposed to get hotter
>> under those conditions.
>> Cooker temp of 225° would work, but 250° would be a lot better.

> Exactly. if your cooking the meat at a lower temperature than it already
> is, you'll never get the meat temperature to rise.
>
> Think about it. If you put a pan of water in an oven at 200 degrees, it
> cannot possibly get to boiling temperature of 212 degrees. Laws of
> physics. It will take almost forever to get to the 200 degree
> temperature.
>
> BOB
>

>Maybe my stupidity got ahead of me, but I never tried to raise a temp
>higher than the source temp. The issue was removing it before it was done.
>I can't imagine that you were serious with you discription. With that said,
>I was essentailly letting the meat dwel, in theory anyway. This method
>worked well once before with a ten pounder, but I had my concerns with a
>larger brisket.

Have a nice holiday, Bob.

$22 a pound? Kalmia General Cooking 127 29-07-2014 02:25 PM
One Pound Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 5 03-12-2010 02:04 PM
One Pound Chemiker General Cooking 0 02-12-2010 03:18 AM
One Pound Jim Elbrecht General Cooking 0 02-12-2010 02:26 AM
Brisket versus brisket Edwin Pawlowski Barbecue 6 06-08-2005 12:50 AM