Piedmont

Default Time to play!

Well it's now 8:05 AM and none of the schools have called me to sub
today! Yeah! Which is great as I get to recover from having to stop two
large students, a boy and a girl (high School) from fighting in class
yesterday! Once he broke her necklace, all hell broke loose!

Being a substitute teacher is easy if you can imitate, the large
dominant silver back lowland male mountain gorilla and know when and how
to do a bluff charge! Glaring, charging, screaming and raising the hair
on your back all at the same critical time! Do that and your in baby!

Today I will try out the new indirect lump making process along with
stacking bricks in the cooker firebox. Last night I did a batch of TFM
brine for doing 12 turkey breasts which are thawing. I'll put the bird
boobs in brine tonight for a 2 day soaking.

Trying it a little different this time. Normally I make the brine and
start the soak right away. This time I'll have allowed the brine it self
to soak for 24 hours prior to using on the bird boobs. See if I can get
the same flavor with less time in the brine!

--
Mike Willsey (AMWILatCOMPORIUMdotNET)

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Cam

Piedmont wrote:
> Trying it a little different this time. Normally I make the brine and

> start the soak right away. This time I'll have allowed the brine it

self
> to soak for 24 hours prior to using on the bird boobs. See if I can

get
> the same flavor with less time in the brine!
>
> --
> Mike Willsey (AMWILatCOMPORIUMdotNET)

Great minds think alike (or fools seldom differ). I had the same
thought last time I brined. I wanted to give the pepper flakes and
other spices time to soak some heat into the brine.

Cam

Jack Curry

"Piedmont" > wrote in message
> Well it's now 8:05 AM and none of the schools have called me to sub
> today! Yeah! Which is great as I get to recover from having to stop two
> large students, a boy and a girl (high School) from fighting in class
> yesterday! Once he broke her necklace, all hell broke loose!
>
> Being a substitute teacher is easy if you can imitate, the large
> dominant silver back lowland male mountain gorilla and know when and how
> to do a bluff charge! Glaring, charging, screaming and raising the hair
> on your back all at the same critical time! Do that and your in baby!
>
> Today I will try out the new indirect lump making process along with
> stacking bricks in the cooker firebox. Last night I did a batch of TFM
> brine for doing 12 turkey breasts which are thawing. I'll put the bird
> boobs in brine tonight for a 2 day soaking.
>
> Trying it a little different this time. Normally I make the brine and
> start the soak right away. This time I'll have allowed the brine it self
> to soak for 24 hours prior to using on the bird boobs. See if I can get
> the same flavor with less time in the brine!

You can infuse the brine by boiling then letting it cool (refrigerate before
using).
In my experience, the way(s) to improve brine/flavor intensity in meat is by
1) longer brining periods, 2) injecting the brine into the meat or 3) using
a stronger brine (more ingredients, less water).
But be careful, it's not hard to overbrine and produce a salty product.

Jack Curry

Piedmont

Cam wrote:
> Piedmont wrote:
>
>>Trying it a little different this time. Normally I make the brine and

>>start the soak right away. This time I'll have allowed the brine it

> self
>
>>to soak for 24 hours prior to using on the bird boobs. See if I can

> get
>
>>the same flavor with less time in the brine!
>>
>>--
>>Mike Willsey (AMWILatCOMPORIUMdotNET)

> Great minds think alike (or fools seldom differ). I had the same
> thought last time I brined. I wanted to give the pepper flakes and
> other spices time to soak some heat into the brine.
>
> Cam

It's the, Chili Principal! Chili always taste better the next day. I
figure you just gotta give the spices time to leach their flavor into
the water.

--
Mike Willsey (AMWILatCOMPORIUMdotNET)

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw
Piedmont

Jack Curry wrote:
snip
> You can infuse the brine by boiling then letting it cool (refrigerate before
> using).
> In my experience, the way(s) to improve brine/flavor intensity in meat is by
> 1) longer brining periods, 2) injecting the brine into the meat or 3) using
> a stronger brine (more ingredients, less water).
> But be careful, it's not hard to overbrine and produce a salty product.
>
> Jack Curry

I tend to prefer the saltiness but my wife is sensitive to it. I had
been brining for 3 days after doing your suggestion about starting out
with hot water then cooling it and then plunking in the bird for 3 days.

We both enjoyed the taste, what I'm looking at now is reducing the time
needed to brine. As I always aggatate the brine every morning and every
night, plus had to keep adding bottles with frozen water.

I do too many birds (12 breasts) at a time to put in a fridge, now that
its getting cooler outside. I can take the ice chest out to the shed and
let the birds brine out there in the cool weather.

It's a real cold winter this year down here, getting down to 22 F at
night but pops back up to 45-55 during the day. My South Carolina cactus
and Palm trees are good to 10 degrees so they'll all be ok!

--
Mike Willsey
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

ToLo

Jack Curry said on 12/15/2004 11:18 AM:
> "Piedmont" > wrote in message
>>
>>Today I will try out the new indirect lump making process along with
>>stacking bricks in the cooker firebox. Last night I did a batch of TFM
>>brine for doing 12 turkey breasts which are thawing. I'll put the bird
>>boobs in brine tonight for a 2 day soaking.
>>
>>Trying it a little different this time. Normally I make the brine and
>>start the soak right away. This time I'll have allowed the brine it self
>>to soak for 24 hours prior to using on the bird boobs. See if I can get
>>the same flavor with less time in the brine!
>>

> You can infuse the brine by boiling then letting it cool (refrigerate before
> using).
> In my experience, the way(s) to improve brine/flavor intensity in meat is by
> 1) longer brining periods, 2) injecting the brine into the meat or 3) using
> a stronger brine (more ingredients, less water).
> But be careful, it's not hard to overbrine and produce a salty product.
>
> Jack Curry

Would microwaving the brine mix it better? I've noticed that anything
spicy hot, like when I've add habaneros, gets a lot hotter on reheat in
a microwave. Think it does a great job of defusing the flavors. I get
a lot of heat out of my habaneros to use in chili by microwaving my
dried peppers in olive oil for use later in the mix.