Default Pit design using surface bonding cement

Hey all-

I have been thinking/dreaming about a permanent pit using info from
Dave Linebacks's "Wilbur D" at:
http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/wdh.htm
and Quikrete Surface Bonding Cement like the "Concrete Block grill
plan" at the BOTTOM of the page he
http://www.quikrete.com/diy/Barbeques.html

I have reasoned that it will be less expensive and faster to build
using the block/surface bond cememt for the exterior rather than brick
for the exterior. I will still use fire brick for the inside.

I currently have a NBBD so, an offset design seems more intuitive than
Lineback's shovel and move design.

I would probably also create a door of some type between the "fire pit"
and the cook area so, we could enjoy an outdoor fireplace occasionally.

Has anyone used surface bonding cement and what were your results?
Rob

It's done when it's done.

J.P.

Rob:

Sorry I am of no help. However, this idea intrigues me greatly. Please let
us all know if you decide to build a pit and how it all works out for you.

Thanks in advance,

J.P.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hey all-
>
> I have been thinking/dreaming about a permanent pit using info from
> Dave Linebacks's "Wilbur D" at:
> http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/wdh.htm
> and Quikrete Surface Bonding Cement like the "Concrete Block grill
> plan" at the BOTTOM of the page he
> http://www.quikrete.com/diy/Barbeques.html
>
> I have reasoned that it will be less expensive and faster to build
> using the block/surface bond cememt for the exterior rather than brick
> for the exterior. I will still use fire brick for the inside.
>
> I currently have a NBBD so, an offset design seems more intuitive than
> Lineback's shovel and move design.
>
> I would probably also create a door of some type between the "fire pit"
> and the cook area so, we could enjoy an outdoor fireplace occasionally.
>

> Has anyone used surface bonding cement and what were your results?
> Rob
>
> It's done when it's done.

> I'm wasn't recommending the pit, just the coating they applied to the

> exterior as a possibility for the original question.
>
> --
> Mike Willsey (AMWILatCOMPORIUMdotNET)
>
> http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Mike-

The "coating" is the same type stuff just a different manfacturer
Bonsai vs. Quickrete.

Rob

> I'm wasn't recommending the pit, just the coating they applied to the

> exterior as a possibility for the original question.
>
> --
> Mike Willsey (AMWILatCOMPORIUMdotNET)
>
> http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Mike-

The "coating" is the same type stuff just a different manfacturer
Bonsai vs. Quickrete.

Rob

Woogeroo

Hey Piedmont, that's an interestign read, thanks for the URL.

-W

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:20:49 -0600, Piedmont > wrote:

>http://www.motherearthnews.com/arc/154/

-Woogeroo

<- remove NOBS to send email.

Woogeroo's Simple Smoking Page:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp/

smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...
Woogeroo