FoodBanter.com

-   -   BBQ in a towel?!??!? (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/434667-bbq-towel.html)

los Golondrinas 28-08-2015 07:04 PM

BBQ in a towel?!??!?

Got to get some disposable towels.

Now this is pure perfect campfire food!

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...alt-crust.html

My wife is Colombian, and at this point I've been to the country often
enough that I've gotten accustomed to its eating culture, aware of its
most classic dishes and regional specialties. So I was pleasantly
surprised when, on my most recent visit, her family suggested we try
lomo al trapo, a preparation I'd never heard of.* Literally translated
as "beef tenderloin in a towel," it's made by wrapping a big chunk of
beef tenderloin in a thick crust of salt swaddled in a towel, tying it
up, and throwing it directly on a fire until it's cooked.

It's one of the easiest, most foolproof, primally delicious, and
downright impressive methods of cooking beef I've ever seen. I flat-out
guarantee that every single one of your guests will be floored. All it
takes is three ingredients, a few basic kitchen supplies, and a fire. No
pots, pans, or even a grill required.

Ed Pawlowski 30-08-2015 03:54 PM

BBQ in a towel?!??!?

On 8/28/2015 2:04 PM, los Golondrinas wrote:

> Got to get some disposable towels.
>
> Now this is pure perfect campfire food!
>
> http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...alt-crust.html
>

> My wife is Colombian, and at this point I've been to the country often
> enough that I've gotten accustomed to its eating culture, aware of its
> most classic dishes and regional specialties. So I was pleasantly
> surprised when, on my most recent visit, her family suggested we try
> lomo al trapo, a preparation I'd never heard of.* Literally translated
> as "beef tenderloin in a towel," it's made by wrapping a big chunk of
> beef tenderloin in a thick crust of salt swaddled in a towel, tying it
> up, and throwing it directly on a fire until it's cooked.
>
> It's one of the easiest, most foolproof, primally delicious, and
> downright impressive methods of cooking beef I've ever seen. I flat-out
> guarantee that every single one of your guests will be floored. All it
> takes is three ingredients, a few basic kitchen supplies, and a fire. No
> pots, pans, or even a grill required.

That certainly looks good to me. If I get to put a fire pit back
together I'll try it.

los Golondrinas 30-08-2015 06:08 PM

BBQ in a towel?!??!?

On 8/30/2015 8:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/28/2015 2:04 PM, los Golondrinas wrote:
>>
>> Got to get some disposable towels.
>>
>> Now this is pure perfect campfire food!
>>
>> http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...alt-crust.html
>>

>> My wife is Colombian, and at this point I've been to the country often
>> enough that I've gotten accustomed to its eating culture, aware of its
>> most classic dishes and regional specialties. So I was pleasantly
>> surprised when, on my most recent visit, her family suggested we try
>> lomo al trapo, a preparation I'd never heard of.* Literally translated
>> as "beef tenderloin in a towel," it's made by wrapping a big chunk of
>> beef tenderloin in a thick crust of salt swaddled in a towel, tying it
>> up, and throwing it directly on a fire until it's cooked.
>>
>> It's one of the easiest, most foolproof, primally delicious, and
>> downright impressive methods of cooking beef I've ever seen. I flat-out
>> guarantee that every single one of your guests will be floored. All it
>> takes is three ingredients, a few basic kitchen supplies, and a fire. No
>> pots, pans, or even a grill required.

> That certainly looks good to me. If I get to put a fire pit back
> together I'll try it.

We've done this a few times when camping.

But you need to be able to part with some cheap kitchen towels without
remorse.

That said, it darned well works.

los Golondrinas 30-08-2015 07:23 PM

BBQ in a towel?!??!?

On 8/30/2015 8:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/28/2015 2:04 PM, los Golondrinas wrote:
>>
>> Got to get some disposable towels.
>>
>> Now this is pure perfect campfire food!
>>
>> http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...alt-crust.html
>>

>> My wife is Colombian, and at this point I've been to the country often
>> enough that I've gotten accustomed to its eating culture, aware of its
>> most classic dishes and regional specialties. So I was pleasantly
>> surprised when, on my most recent visit, her family suggested we try
>> lomo al trapo, a preparation I'd never heard of.* Literally translated
>> as "beef tenderloin in a towel," it's made by wrapping a big chunk of
>> beef tenderloin in a thick crust of salt swaddled in a towel, tying it
>> up, and throwing it directly on a fire until it's cooked.
>>
>> It's one of the easiest, most foolproof, primally delicious, and
>> downright impressive methods of cooking beef I've ever seen. I flat-out
>> guarantee that every single one of your guests will be floored. All it
>> takes is three ingredients, a few basic kitchen supplies, and a fire. No
>> pots, pans, or even a grill required.

> That certainly looks good to me. If I get to put a fire pit back
> together I'll try it.

You will be pleased with the results, just be sure to get that meat off
early (115-20F) so it doesn't retain heat and overcook.

Heavy_Smoker 03-04-2016 01:55 PM

BBQ in a towel?!??!?

los Golondrinas said

> On 8/30/2015 8:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 8/28/2015 2:04 PM, los Golondrinas wrote:
>>>
>>> Got to get some disposable towels.
>>>
>>> Now this is pure perfect campfire food!
>>>
>>> http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/l...bian-beef-tend
>>> erloin-towel-wrapped-salt-crust.html

> You will be pleased with the results, just be sure to get that meat
> off early (115-20F) so it doesn't retain heat and overcook.

Sorry for responding to such an old post.

Anyway, anyone tried this in the fireplace? In the home?

--
Better living through smoking.

onglet 03-04-2016 05:53 PM

BBQ in a towel?!??!?

On 4/3/2016 6:55 AM, Heavy_Smoker wrote:
> los Golondrinas said

>> You will be pleased with the results, just be sure to get that meat
>> off early (115-20F) so it doesn't retain heat and overcook.

> Sorry for responding to such an old post.
>
> Anyway, anyone tried this in the fireplace? In the home?

Using one of these?

http://www.menards.com/main/heating-...4436307727.htm

Heavy_Smoker 10-04-2016 11:11 PM

BBQ in a towel?!??!?

onglet said

> On 4/3/2016 6:55 AM, Heavy_Smoker wrote:
>> los Golondrinas said

>>> You will be pleased with the results, just be sure to get that meat
>>> off early (115-20F) so it doesn't retain heat and overcook.

>> Sorry for responding to such an old post.
>>
>> Anyway, anyone tried this in the fireplace? In the home?
>>

> Using one of these?
>
> http://www.menards.com/main/heating-...e-starters-lig
> hters/pine-mountain-reg-classic-4-hour-fire-log/p-1444436307727.htm

LOL, no. Hardwood firewood/coals - setting the firewood aside for the
duration of the cook.

--
Better living through smoking.

onglet 11-04-2016 06:36 PM

BBQ in a towel?!??!?

On 4/10/2016 4:11 PM, Heavy_Smoker wrote:
> onglet said
>
>> On 4/3/2016 6:55 AM, Heavy_Smoker wrote:
>>> los Golondrinas said

>>> Sorry for responding to such an old post.
>>>
>>> Anyway, anyone tried this in the fireplace? In the home?
>>>

>> Using one of these?
>>
>> http://www.menards.com/main/heating-...e-starters-lig
>> hters/pine-mountain-reg-classic-4-hour-fire-log/p-1444436307727.htm
>>

> LOL, no. Hardwood firewood/coals - setting the firewood aside for the
> duration of the cook.

In a gaslog fireplace?

Heavy_Smoker 13-04-2016 01:51 PM

BBQ in a towel?!??!?

onglet said

> On 4/10/2016 4:11 PM, Heavy_Smoker wrote:
>> onglet said

>>> Using one of these?
>>>
>>> http://www.menards.com/main/heating-...ire-starters-l
>>> ig
>>> hters/pine-mountain-reg-classic-4-hour-fire-log/p-1444436307727.htm
>>>

>> LOL, no. Hardwood firewood/coals - setting the firewood aside for
>> the duration of the cook.
>>

> In a gaslog fireplace?

Yes, I place the hardwood over the gas logs.

--
Better living through smoking.

onglet 13-04-2016 04:46 PM

BBQ in a towel?!??!?

On 4/13/2016 6:51 AM, Heavy_Smoker wrote:
> onglet said
>
>> On 4/10/2016 4:11 PM, Heavy_Smoker wrote:
>>> onglet said

>>> LOL, no. Hardwood firewood/coals - setting the firewood aside for
>>> the duration of the cook.
>>>

>> In a gaslog fireplace?
>>

> Yes, I place the hardwood over the gas logs.

Doesn't that make a big old mess in the ember rocks beneath them?