FoodBanter.com

-   -   What's your favorite Slaw recipe? (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/428644-whats-your-favorite-slaw.html)

Do Be Do Wah 21-04-2014 10:06 PM

What's your favorite Slaw recipe?

I've been using a copycat recipe for KFC coleslaw and I'm getting tired of
it and want to try something different. If you got a favorite recipe, post
it here!

gregz 22-04-2014 03:05 AM

Do Be Do Wah > wrote:
> I've been using a copycat recipe for KFC coleslaw and I'm getting tired of
> it and want to try something different. If you got a favorite recipe, post
> it here!

The best slaw I've had, was made with really thick cabbage, not a soupy
mess.

Greg

notbob 22-04-2014 03:37 AM

On 2014-04-21, Do Be Do Wah > wrote:
> I've been using a copycat recipe for KFC coleslaw and I'm getting tired of
> it and want to try something different. If you got a favorite recipe, post
> it here!

An old fave is mustard-pineapple slaw.

Take some pineapple chunks and put in with the cabbage, then mix in a
simple mayo/mustard/sugar/pineapple-juice dressing. It's sweet n'
sour, the mustard (French's Yellow) providing the sour, the sugar and
pineapple juice, the sweet. Don't mix all together until jes before
serving, as the pineapple quickly sogs out the cabbage.

nb

Thomas Prufer 22-04-2014 01:25 PM

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 21:06:27 +0000 (UTC), Do Be Do Wah > wrote:

>I've been using a copycat recipe for KFC coleslaw and I'm getting tired of
>it and want to try something different. If you got a favorite recipe, post
>it here!

German "Krautsalat", recipe with handwaving "by feel" amounts.

Slice raw cabbage thinly, skipping the thick woody bits in the middle. (Think
sauerkraut). Salt, mix in really well by hand. OK to oversalt, because you will
pour of a part of that salt. Let stand until it weeps, 1/2 hour or so.

Fry bacon. Alternatively dice ham/pork finely.

Boil a broth, instant is fine. Add ham/bacon bits, whole caraway seeds and
vinegar, trace of sugar. (I like to boil that well so the caraway softens a
bit.)

Drain salty fluid from cabbage. Put boiling broth over cabbage. Cabbage should
be well wetted by the broth, not drenched. Cover well, and let steep until cool.
Cabbage should be not raw, not cooked.

Add a bit of oil, to taste.

(Easy on the oil, easier on the sugar. The sugar is to give the vinegar body,
not to sweeten.)

Thomas Prufer

[email protected] 23-04-2014 11:15 PM

On 22-Apr-2014, Thomas Prufer > wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 21:06:27 +0000 (UTC), Do Be Do Wah >
> wrote:
>
> >I've been using a copycat recipe for KFC coleslaw and I'm getting tired
> >of
> >it and want to try something different. If you got a favorite recipe,
> >post
> >it here!

> German "Krautsalat", recipe with handwaving "by feel" amounts.
>
> Slice raw cabbage thinly, skipping the thick woody bits in the middle.
> (Think
> sauerkraut). Salt, mix in really well by hand. OK to oversalt, because you
> will
> pour of a part of that salt. Let stand until it weeps, 1/2 hour or so.
>
> Fry bacon. Alternatively dice ham/pork finely.
>
> Boil a broth, instant is fine. Add ham/bacon bits, whole caraway seeds and
> vinegar, trace of sugar. (I like to boil that well so the caraway softens
> bit.)
>
> Drain salty fluid from cabbage. Put boiling broth over cabbage. Cabbage
> should
> be well wetted by the broth, not drenched. Cover well, and let steep until
> cool.
> Cabbage should be not raw, not cooked.
>
> Add a bit of oil, to taste.
>
> (Easy on the oil, easier on the sugar. The sugar is to give the vinegar
> body,
> not to sweeten.)
>

> Thomas Prufer

This is kind of close to what you just did there. It's
certainly one of my all time favorites. Methinks this
version could use just a smidgen of lemon juice though.

This is from Ginger the BBQ Girl and I'm sure she copied
it from someone else. The actual origin is obscure, but
somebody brought it to a gathering at Bob and Ginger's
homestead in Milan, GA many years ago.

Ingredients

1 medium head cabbage, finely shredded
3 to 4 green onions, sliced
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup vinegar
1-1/2 teaspoons celery seed
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 cup canola oil

Directions

In a large bowl, combine cabbage and onions. In a saucepan, combine the
sugar, vinegar, celery seed and salt; bring to a boil. Add oil; return
to boiling and cook until sugar dissolves. Pour over cabbage; toss
gently. Chill. Yield: 14-18 servings.

Brick said that.

Thomas Prufer 24-04-2014 08:47 AM

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 22:15:00 GMT, wrote:

>This is kind of close to what you just did there. It's
>certainly one of my all time favorites. Methinks this
>version could use just a smidgen of lemon juice though.

I asked a friend what recipe he used (for Hungarian paltscintas...) -- he put
sparkling water in to make them fluffy. I'd never heard of that, all recipes I
knew were with the batter "flat"...

His answer: "So? There are as many recipes for that out there as there are
grandmothers!"

Thomas Prufer

[email protected] 24-04-2014 11:37 PM

On 24-Apr-2014, Thomas Prufer > wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 22:15:00 GMT, wrote:
>
> >This is kind of close to what you just did there. It's
> >certainly one of my all time favorites. Methinks this
> >version could use just a smidgen of lemon juice though.

> I asked a friend what recipe he used (for Hungarian paltscintas...) -- he
> put
> sparkling water in to make them fluffy. I'd never heard of that, all
> recipes I
> knew were with the batter "flat"...
>
> His answer: "So? There are as many recipes for that out there as there are
> grandmothers!"
>

> Thomas Prufer

Amen to that. I personally have used 'Club Soda' in that application. As I
dimly remember, it does give it a fluffy texture. Whether it be jerk, curry,

sofrito, masala, et., al, every grandmother has her own.

Brick said that.