Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

Default BBQ chicken on the grill

tutall > wrote:

> I have a barrell style grill, use charcoal and have grilled chicken
> down to a science. Man I make some pretty ones, with or without BBQ
> sauce.
>
> With the fire stacked to one end I put the two halves close to, maybe
> a bit over the edge of the lit coals in sort of a < (sideways V )
> shape. then about every 10 minutes will flip them, interchanging
> longwise flip with crossways so all 2 sides of each side get even heat
> close to the coals for a nice even browning and crispness Once the
> desired color is close, will pull them a bit further from the fire, an
> inch or two is all it takes. If coating them with BBQ sauce, after the
> skin is browned up *enough* (scientific talk there) start coating and
> flipping as before. The family likes it best after 3 or more coats are
> cooked on, don't need to be too afraid of some blackening either, you
> want some of that, naturally.
>
> Lid is down for cooking of course, typically get temps between 375-450
> (peak 450). Like 375-400, but it gets hotter sometimes. Lump charcoal
> will do that.
>
> Am sure many others here get similar results.

Count my results similar in that happy people mounge on chix!
I've been finding split breastesses (them with the hayracks) for
cheeap,a sofl ate.Thems good eatin grilled.
I 2 cook @ 350-400 but aint too pickish about the direct/indirectness of
the fire. Haven't burned yardbird in a loooong time.
Beats all hell outta bakin em.

dub(this aint hard...)
Experienced Member

Great illustration it made the recipe too easy.

BBQ chicken on the grill Gary General Cooking 48 16-08-2012 07:52 AM
Chicken Grill jhrayhan General Cooking 1 25-11-2011 12:21 PM
Spatchcock and grill chicken? 43fan Barbecue 13 04-08-2006 04:52 AM
Whole chicken on the grill. Dimitri Barbecue 4 05-08-2005 08:12 PM
Whole chicken on a grill Dimitri General Cooking 16 31-07-2005 04:22 PM