FoodBanter.com

-   -   Is my brisket safe (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/419072-my-brisket-safe.html)

Dday 28-07-2012 02:37 PM

Is my brisket safe

I started my smoke at 1:15 am with the temp in the egg at 260. It was still at 260 when I went to bed at 245. When I woke at 630 am the egg was at 130 and the internal temp of the brisket was at 126. Is the brisket still safe to finish and eat?

Pico Rico[_2_] 28-07-2012 04:51 PM

Is my brisket safe

"Dday" > wrote in message

> I started my smoke at 1:15 am with the temp in the egg at 260. It was
> still at 260 when I went to bed at 245. When I woke at 630 am the egg
> was at 130 and the internal temp of the brisket was at 126. Is the
> brisket still safe to finish and eat?

yes

Ed Pawlowski 28-07-2012 05:34 PM

Is my brisket safe

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:37:33 +0000, Dday
> wrote:

>I started my smoke at 1:15 am with the temp in the egg at 260. It was
>still at 260 when I went to bed at 245. When I woke at 630 am the egg
>was at 130 and the internal temp of the brisket was at 126. Is the
>brisket still safe to finish and eat?

Yes, it was not below 140 very long and the 126 is just on the way up.

monroe, of course 28-07-2012 09:55 PM

Is my brisket safe

Dday > wrote:
> I started my smoke at 1:15 am with the temp in the egg at 260. It was
> still at 260 when I went to bed at 245. When I woke at 630 am the egg
> was at 130 and the internal temp of the brisket was at 126. Is the
> brisket still safe to finish and eat?

I wouldn't worry about it unless you are feeding it to immunocompromised
elderly folks or month-old babies.
Salt,garlic,smoke and pepper all help kill pathogens on the meat surface.
Gotta remember to stir that fire before you retire...

monroe(this is NOT a PSA)

Steve B[_13_] 29-07-2012 03:31 AM

Is my brisket safe

"Dday" > wrote in message

> I started my smoke at 1:15 am with the temp in the egg at 260. It was
> still at 260 when I went to bed at 245. When I woke at 630 am the egg
> was at 130 and the internal temp of the brisket was at 126. Is the
> brisket still safe to finish and eat?> --
> Dday

If you put the anti-gravity blanket on it, it should be fine.

Steve

Earl[_30_] 03-08-2012 01:13 AM

Is my brisket safe

Dday wrote:
> I started my smoke at 1:15 am with the temp in the egg at 260. It was
> still at 260 when I went to bed at 245. When I woke at 630 am the egg
> was at 130 and the internal temp of the brisket was at 126. Is the
> brisket still safe to finish and eat?

I would say yes since the temp was higher than the meat. You might want
to invest in one of these - they are outstanding!

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wirel.../dp/B004IMA718