Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Walmart beef ribs..vac-packed

Just scored some Beef ribs yesterday at Wally World vac-packed for
$1.88 a pound. into the freezer went 4 big slabs. They look real good
too.

Heads up!

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 02:33:36 -0600, Gene >
wrote:

>Just scored some Beef ribs yesterday at Wally World vac-packed for
>$1.88 a pound. into the freezer went 4 big slabs. They look real good
>too.
>
>Heads up!
>
>Gene

Are they injected with water? I avoid Wal Mart meats and most are
adulterated and I don't pay meat prices for water. The only think I
do get there is the cryo packed briskets.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2-Jan-2012, Gene > wrote:

> Just scored some Beef ribs yesterday at Wally World vac-packed for
> $1.88 a pound. into the freezer went 4 big slabs. They look real good
> too.
>
> Heads up!
>
> Gene

Good score Gene. That's a good follow-on to the $1.60 brisket I found
last week. The flats are now busily corning in the cooler and the points
got smoked and vac packed for the freezer.

--
Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
then to speak up and remove all doubt)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 07:38:49 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 02:33:36 -0600, Gene >
>wrote:
>
>>Just scored some Beef ribs yesterday at Wally World vac-packed for
>>$1.88 a pound. into the freezer went 4 big slabs. They look real good
>>too.
>>
>>Heads up!
>>
>>Gene

>Are they injected with water? I avoid Wal Mart meats and most are
>adulterated and I don't pay meat prices for water. The only think I
>do get there is the cryo packed briskets.

I won't pay for water either. Frikin stupid to do so.

Thanks for the heads up.

So I went and double checked. No added water.

Thanks again!

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 09:01:53 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 02:33:36 -0600, Gene wrote:
>
>> Just scored some Beef ribs yesterday at Wally World vac-packed for
>> $1.88 a pound. into the freezer went 4 big slabs. They look real good
>> too.

>You gonna make soup?
>
>I but the short ribs for $.70/more a pound.
>
>-sw

No, I'm gonna smoke and grill some tasty beef ribs.

I wish I could find the shorts for that price.

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip

>Good score Gene. That's a good follow-on to the $1.60 brisket I found
>last week. The flats are now busily corning in the cooler and the points
>got smoked and vac packed for the freezer.

Sounds yummy!

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 19:59:06 -0600, Gene wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 09:01:53 -0600, Sqwertz >
> > wrote:

> >>You gonna make soup?
> >>
> >>I but the short ribs for $.70/more a pound.

> > No, I'm gonna smoke and grill some tasty beef ribs.
> >
> > I wish I could find the shorts for that price.

> Ask your meat guys (but not a Walmart). Much of the markup of short
> ribs is trimming, cutting and packaging. They sell for $4.98/lb when
> sold that way. But if I ask them for the whole racks just as they get
> them, "packer cut", they're $2.59/lb.
>
> It's the same way with deli meat. Whole chubs of deli meat are pretty
> damn cheap (especially at wholesale). It's the cutting and packaging
> into smaller quantities on demand, and the merchandising that triples
> the price.
>
> I gave up on beef back ribs a long timer ago. I can't fit enough in
> my R2D2 smoker to make them worthwhile. And the prices are
> ridiculous.
>
> -sw

shoot they shave 'em til' they shine anyhow.

monroe(that's why they call 'em shiners)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 11:40:22 -0500, monroe, of course wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:

> >> Ask your meat guys (but not a Walmart). Much of the markup of short
> >> ribs is trimming, cutting and packaging. They sell for $4.98/lb when
> >> sold that way. But if I ask them for the whole racks just as they get
> >> them, "packer cut", they're $2.59/lb.
> >>
> >> It's the same way with deli meat. Whole chubs of deli meat are pretty
> >> damn cheap (especially at wholesale). It's the cutting and packaging
> >> into smaller quantities on demand, and the merchandising that triples
> >> the price.
> >>
> >> I gave up on beef back ribs a long timer ago. I can't fit enough in
> >> my R2D2 smoker to make them worthwhile. And the prices are
> >> ridiculous.
> >>
> >> -sw

> > shoot they shave 'em til' they shine anyhow.

> You can thank 3-D X-ray machines and automatic laser guided meat
> cutters for the lack of meat on beef ribs nowadays. Rib roasts sell
> for $5-$25/lb, ribs $2-$3/lb. So it makes sense (financially) to get
> as much of that rib meat off the bones and onto the roast.
>
> -=sw

Plate ribs or shortribs (or whateverthafooch) catch my eye from time to
time for their meat content but I'd just as soon have them braised as to
bother smokin' them. They're still too feakin'expensive.
Thanks to all holythings I have access to a real butcher. He sics a
'Miguel Model 1 Primal Cuts Reducer Unit' on his beeves.

monroe(but that adds cost too don;t it)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip

>Ask your meat guys (but not a Walmart). Much of the markup of short
>ribs is trimming, cutting and packaging. They sell for $4.98/lb when
>sold that way. But if I ask them for the whole racks just as they get
>them, "packer cut", they're $2.59/lb.
>
>It's the same way with deli meat. Whole chubs of deli meat are pretty
>damn cheap (especially at wholesale). It's the cutting and packaging
>into smaller quantities on demand, and the merchandising that triples
>the price.
>
>I gave up on beef back ribs a long timer ago. I can't fit enough in
>my R2D2 smoker to make them worthwhile. And the prices are
>ridiculous.
>
>-sw

My meat guy at Angelo's cuts the damn bone off the short ribs before I
can get to him. I tried to assplain to him I wanted them uncut and
untrimmed but he no speak so good eanglish.

I can scope an entire beef shank at $2 a pound from time to time if I
get him before he cuts them all up.

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip

>You can thank 3-D X-ray machines and automatic laser guided meat
>cutters for the lack of meat on beef ribs nowadays. Rib roasts sell
>for $5-$25/lb, ribs $2-$3/lb. So it makes sense (financially) to get
>as much of that rib meat off the bones and onto the roast.
>
>-=sw

I have never seen beef ribs around here for under $4.75 a pound, that
is why I jumped at them for $1.88.

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip

>Plate ribs or shortribs (or whateverthafooch) catch my eye from time to
>time for their meat content but I'd just as soon have them braised as to
>bother smokin' them. They're still too feakin'expensive.
>Thanks to all holythings I have access to a real butcher. He sics a
>'Miguel Model 1 Primal Cuts Reducer Unit' on his beeves.
>
>monroe(but that adds cost too don;t it)

I got a butcher about 20 miles away but he is way expensive.

I do a marinade on shorts then smoke, then wrap, then place in a
cooler. Moist, light smoke, tender sweet meat.

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip

>I've said it before and I'll say it again:
>
>Short ribs are the best single piece of cow you can smoke.
>
>This weekends starting first:
>http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/2...ibssmoking.jpg
>http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/4...spartialco.jpg
>http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/199...ribssmoked.jpg
>http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/6...ribssliced.jpg
>
>-sw

Hard to argue with you on this, I love them too!

I don't really understand the sliced image. Why do that? Finger food
should remain finger food. Besides, I love chewing on that rib bone.

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip
In my opinion, beef back ribs are
>pretty darn nice soup bones, but not good for much else.
>
>MartyB

I tend to disagree. But to each their own.

I do like them as does my family. How are you smoking/grilling them?
Maybe it is technique?

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip
>I double cook the plate shortribs. First I do them in the smoker until they
>have a real nice bark and have rendered somewhat, about 8 hours at low temp
>200-225F. At this point they will taste good but still be fatty. Then I
>chill them down and the next day they go into a dutch oven with some stock
>and red wine and mirepoix for a nice braise. Comes out fantastic, with an
>extra layer of flavor from the smoker you won't get otherwise. Yet the
>braising still yields tasty pan juices and disintegrated mirepoix to make a
>great gravy.
>
>BTW I do not use barbecue type seasonings for cooking the rib plates in the
>smoker. I just go with salt, pepper, and gran garlic.
>
>When done, cut yourself off a dinosaur bone and enjoy!
>
>Somewhere I have a photoset of the process, I'll try to find a link if
>you're interested.
>
>MartyB

I am. Always looking for another/better way.

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 8-Jan-2012, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 01:04:58 -0600, Gene wrote:
>
> > I have never seen beef ribs around here for under $4.75 a pound, that
> > is why I jumped at them for $1.88.

> Beef short ribs or beef back ribs (whole 7-rib slabs of mostly bones)
>
> $4.75 is a joke for beef back ribs.
>
> Of they're excuse is "Well, the demand for these is low". Well, duh.
>
> -sw

Once upon a time I was getting some decent beef rib slabs for decent
money and I posted about some of them here and at a.b.f. Alas It has
been quite a long time since I saw any that I would carry home for
reasons that Sqwertz has noted here. It looks like the last decent
beef back ribs that I did was on 10/20/09 and they cost $1.27/lb at
the MacDill AFB commissary. They were the kind that you had to eat
with a Bib lest you drenched your shirt with grease. Sigh!!