Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default NB Longhorn at HD, some thoughts

I was in HD last night looking at the lawn mowers ( I need another
one). I went down one aisle to the grills/smokers. Whoa! To my
amazement I spot TWO assembled NB Longhorns ~$499. Never thought I'd
see this in NC or in HD. I thought the large smokers in the range were
dead after the shut down the plant in New Braunfels.
This thing even had the brass looking plate that my 7 yr old NB SS
has.
I was happy to know that my original NB SS pit was made here. Before
walking on... I noticed it said "Made In China". I knew they moved
production to China....

We went on with our browsing. The more I thought of it last night and
today... the more I thought AGAINST buying it. I loved the size of it
and the solid feel of the build. But, there seems to never be a month
go by that we don't hear a story about some "defective" product from
China made with something that shouldn't be part of the product.

Is it coincidence? More and more, we think not.

So, if I decided not to buy this pit I guess I'm saying I am willing
to pay more for less cooking space. From the looks of things my
options are Gator Pits or Tejas Pits.

Are there any other offset steel pit options I am overlooking?

Rob

Q 4 All

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" > wrote
> I was happy to know that my original NB SS pit was made here. Before
> walking on... I noticed it said "Made In China". I knew they moved
> production to China....
>
> We went on with our browsing. The more I thought of it last night and
> today... the more I thought AGAINST buying it. I loved the size of it
> and the solid feel of the build. But, there seems to never be a month
> go by that we don't hear a story about some "defective" product from
> China made with something that shouldn't be part of the product.
>
> Is it coincidence? More and more, we think not.

What can possibly be in a pit from China that should not be there? Paint?
The rest is pretty straightforward steel and welding.

I prefer to buy American, but the stuff from China can be very persuasive.
The quality can be darned good too.
Case in point. We bought four sets of tools (all similar, but not exactly
the same) in the past couple of months. One from Idaho, two from Illinois,
one from China.

Price:
Idaho 26,000
Illinois 22,000
China 18,000

Delivery
Idaho and Illinois 12 to 14 weeks
China 25 days to ship, four to transport and deliver

Quality:
Idaho went back for missing operations like missing mounting holes (46 of
them)
One Illinois reworked in our shop for missed counter bore and wrong machine
screws
Other Illinois tool being evaluated for leaks. Dimensions are out of
tolerance and must be re-worked, re-tested
China: Tooling set-up and run perfectly.

So, tell me again why I should buy American and distrust from China.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article
" > wrote:

> I was in HD last night looking at the lawn mowers ( I need another
> one). I went down one aisle to the grills/smokers. Whoa! To my
> amazement I spot TWO assembled NB Longhorns ~$499. Never thought I'd
> see this in NC or in HD. I thought the large smokers in the range were
> dead after the shut down the plant in New Braunfels.
> This thing even had the brass looking plate that my 7 yr old NB SS
> has.
> I was happy to know that my original NB SS pit was made here. Before
> walking on... I noticed it said "Made In China". I knew they moved
> production to China....
>
> We went on with our browsing. The more I thought of it last night and
> today... the more I thought AGAINST buying it. I loved the size of it
> and the solid feel of the build. But, there seems to never be a month
> go by that we don't hear a story about some "defective" product from
> China made with something that shouldn't be part of the product.
>
> Is it coincidence? More and more, we think not.
>
> So, if I decided not to buy this pit I guess I'm saying I am willing
> to pay more for less cooking space. From the looks of things my
> options are Gator Pits or Tejas Pits.
>
> Are there any other offset steel pit options I am overlooking?
>
> Rob
>
> Q 4 All

New Braunfels smokers.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> So, tell me again why I should buy American and distrust from China.

China's lifeblood is export.

They tend to execute dishonest sellers...

Mistakes are generally only made once. ;-)

To date, I've been happy with the product I am importing.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 15 May 2010 22:06:24 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> What can possibly be in a pit from China that should not be there? Paint?
> The rest is pretty straightforward steel and welding.

Maybe there's something they're using something in their steel that
will cause it to crumble, or burst into flames, or give the meat a
bad taste, or maybe even a (think drywall) rotten egg smell.

I don't put anything past them any more.

> I prefer to buy American, but the stuff from China can be very persuasive.
> The quality can be darned good too.

The quality is really up to the American companies who spec the
products. The company has complete control over the materials used
in China and how the Chinese build them. They (American companies)
just get greedy. They don't just hand the Chinese a picture of a
BBQ grill ro pit and say, "Here, build this".

It's easy to blame China for a lot of these things, but it's up to
the American companies to make sure they meet requirements and
specs. And to test food products regularly.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 15 May 2010 21:15:14 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>
>> So, tell me again why I should buy American and distrust from China.

> China's lifeblood is export.
>
> They tend to execute dishonest sellers...
>
> Mistakes are generally only made once. ;-)

The DChinese murdered Zheng Xiaoyu to set an example and prove to us
they were serious about fixing the problems.

What happened next? Three more cases of tainted food products not
under Zheng Xiaoyu's prior direction.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 15 May 2010 21:10:17 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> New Braunfels smokers.

Made in China.

They were one of the first ones to go.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> It's easy to blame China for a lot of these things, but it's up to
> the American companies to make sure they meet requirements and
> specs. And to test food products regularly.
>
> -sw

Indeed... and up to the FDA and customs to do their jobs as well.
It's more complicated than some people think. How some of this stuff
gets past them is beyond me! The regulations for imports are pretty
tight.

But I don't think that drywall is FDA regulated. This is unfortunate. :-(
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 15 May 2010 21:15:14 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> >
> >> So, tell me again why I should buy American and distrust from China.

> > China's lifeblood is export.
> >
> > They tend to execute dishonest sellers...
> >
> > Mistakes are generally only made once. ;-)

> The DChinese murdered Zheng Xiaoyu to set an example and prove to us
> they were serious about fixing the problems.

And then there was the CEO that committed suicide over an export
scandal. I'm sure he had help.

> What happened next? Three more cases of tainted food products not
> under Zheng Xiaoyu's prior direction.
>
> -sw

I suspect they will fix that too.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 15 May 2010 21:10:17 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > New Braunfels smokers.

> Made in China.
>
> They were one of the first ones to go.
>
> -sw

I've been operating mine now for well over 10 years.
It's still fine.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" > wrote in message
> So, if I decided not to buy this pit I guess I'm saying I am willing
> to pay more for less cooking space. From the looks of things my
> options are Gator Pits or Tejas Pits.
>
> Are there any other offset steel pit options I am overlooking?
>
> Rob

Klose

Jambo

Lang

Meadow Creek

Tucker

etc

etc

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet > wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>
> > So, tell me again why I should buy American and distrust from China.

> China's lifeblood is export.
>
> They tend to execute dishonest sellers...
>
> Mistakes are generally only made once. ;-)
>
> To date, I've been happy with the product I am importing.

Do you buy children's toys or jewelry incorporating uranium or cadmium?

Food? Current research has focused on the combination of melamine and
cyanuric acid in causing renal failure. Reports that cyanuric acid may be
an independently and potentially widely used adulterant in China have
heightened concerns for both pet and human health.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote:
> > "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> >
> > > So, tell me again why I should buy American and distrust from China.

> > China's lifeblood is export.
> >
> > They tend to execute dishonest sellers...
> >
> > Mistakes are generally only made once. ;-)
> >
> > To date, I've been happy with the product I am importing.

> Do you buy children's toys or jewelry incorporating uranium or cadmium?
>
> Food? Current research has focused on the combination of melamine and
> cyanuric acid in causing renal failure. Reports that cyanuric acid may be
> an independently and potentially widely used adulterant in China have
> heightened concerns for both pet and human health.

No, I'm purchasing bandages... (sport tape)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
>> Omelet > wrote:

>> > China's lifeblood is export.
>> >
>> > They tend to execute dishonest sellers...
>> >
>> > Mistakes are generally only made once. ;-)
>> >
>> > To date, I've been happy with the product I am importing.

>> Do you buy children's toys or jewelry incorporating uranium or cadmium?
>>
>> Food? Current research has focused on the combination of melamine and
>> cyanuric acid in causing renal failure. Reports that cyanuric acid may be
>> an independently and potentially widely used adulterant in China have
>> heightened concerns for both pet and human health.

> No, I'm purchasing bandages... (sport tape)

What unwanted additives could they (chinese) be adding to those? Lead?
Cadmium? Uranium??

Think about it. They could be trying to conquer the world by slowly killing
everyone that buys their exports, one person at a time, very slowly.

> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food
> groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
" Joe" > wrote:

> > No, I'm purchasing bandages... (sport tape)

> What unwanted additives could they (chinese) be adding to those? Lead?
> Cadmium? Uranium??

I am registered with the FDA. They will have the right to sit on my
shipments in customs and run testing on them. Toxic shipments can be
confiscated so I'm taking quite a gamble.

However, both companies I am ordering from have sent me documentation of
FDA inspections and registrations.

> Think about it. They could be trying to conquer the world by slowly killing
> everyone that buys their exports, one person at a time, very slowly.

Not without destroying their economy. ;-)

You have no idea how much time and effort I've put into this and am
making sure that I am complying with the letter of the law. Importing
can get complicated!

The product I am importing is drastically overpriced. By bringing it in
at a lower price, the Doctors that want to use it can afford to use it
to help more people. That is my main interest... and I will make sure it
is safe.

The samples I have purchased so far are working well, and I even use
them on myself. The local FDA import agents like my attitude. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" Joe" > wrote

> Think about it. They could be trying to conquer the world by slowly
> killing everyone that buys their exports, one person at a time, very
> slowly.

Yes, think about it. We'll rule the economic world by getting rid of the
people that buy our products. Duh!

They can take over the world much easier. Then just have to stop
exporting to Wal-Mart for a few weeks driving up the price of everything
astronomically. Then they buy Wal-Mart.

It will take a while yet, but eventually the rankings will be 1. China 2.
India 3. United States 4. The EU
GM plants are doing rather well in both China and India. As is Mittal
Steel.

If anyone doubts this, just read a history book.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 16, 8:15*am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> It will take a while yet, but eventually the rankings will be *1. China * 2.
> India * 3. *United States *4. The EU
> GM plants are doing rather well in both China and India. * As is Mittal
> Steel.
>
> If anyone doubts this, just read a history book.

For 23 of the past 25 centuries China has been the world's largest
economy. The West's recent success has been a blip on the chart.

Cam