Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Rub for brined pork blade roast

Hi all @ 2:52 AM. I have two 6lb bone in pork blade roasts brinning in
salt,sugar, cider vinegar and seasoning solution. It will go into the Smokey
Mountain early Sunday @ 250F. I'm planning on about 8 hours. What would you
do about a rub after brinning? Might you not rub? The brine is 20% cider
vinegar, with 1/4 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar per quart. It will have been in
the brine 72 hours.
Thanks so much,
Kent
--
,constantly struggling with my level of ignorance

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> Hi all @ 2:52 AM. I have two 6lb bone in pork blade roasts brinning in
> salt,sugar, cider vinegar and seasoning solution. It will go into the Smokey
> Mountain early Sunday @ 250F. I'm planning on about 8 hours. What would you
> do about a rub after brinning? Might you not rub? The brine is 20% cider
> vinegar, with 1/4 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar per quart. It will have been in
> the brine 72 hours.
> Thanks so much,
> Kent

No herbages???
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Kent" > wrote:
>
>> Hi all @ 2:52 AM. I have two 6lb bone in pork blade roasts brinning in
>> salt,sugar, cider vinegar and seasoning solution. It will go into the
>> Smokey
>> Mountain early Sunday @ 250F. I'm planning on about 8 hours. What would
>> you
>> do about a rub after brinning? Might you not rub? The brine is 20% cider
>> vinegar, with 1/4 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar per quart. It will have been
>> in
>> the brine 72 hours.
>> Thanks so much,
>> Kent

> No herbages???
> --
> Peace! Om

I didn't, and usually don't. I think it's hard to get a herbal flavor
throughout a brine, even though this was relatively small liquid enclosing
the roasts in ziplock bags. I use the assertive seasonings, like clove,
allspice, etc. You can put some prov. herbs in a small amt. of water,
microwave that and add that to your brine. I just realized I forgot garlic!
Oh Well.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "Kent" > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all @ 2:52 AM. I have two 6lb bone in pork blade roasts brinning in
> >> salt,sugar, cider vinegar and seasoning solution. It will go into the
> >> Smokey
> >> Mountain early Sunday @ 250F. I'm planning on about 8 hours. What would
> >> you
> >> do about a rub after brinning? Might you not rub? The brine is 20% cider
> >> vinegar, with 1/4 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar per quart. It will have been
> >> in
> >> the brine 72 hours.
> >> Thanks so much,
> >> Kent

> > No herbages???
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >

> I didn't, and usually don't. I think it's hard to get a herbal flavor
> throughout a brine, even though this was relatively small liquid enclosing
> the roasts in ziplock bags. I use the assertive seasonings, like clove,
> allspice, etc. You can put some prov. herbs in a small amt. of water,
> microwave that and add that to your brine. I just realized I forgot garlic!
> Oh Well.
>
> Kent

Garlic, Thyme and a bit of basil.

If you cook your brine into a "tea" ahead of time, the herbal flavors DO
soak in. I know from personal experience.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> Hi all @ 2:52 AM. I have two 6lb bone in pork blade roasts brinning in
> salt,sugar, cider vinegar and seasoning solution. It will go into the Smokey
> Mountain early Sunday @ 250F. I'm planning on about 8 hours. What would you
> do about a rub after brinning? Might you not rub? The brine is 20% cider
> vinegar, with 1/4 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar per quart. It will have been in
> the brine 72 hours.
> Thanks so much,
> Kent

Leave out the vinegar or anything else high acid. It
makes the meat mushy.

Without any acidic ingredients the "soak time"
becomes much less of an issue. You don't have to
worry about ruining the meat by leaving it in
too long.

For rub I like ground chipotle (some seeds removed
before grinding to knock down the capsaicin a bit),
paprika, garlic powder, ground black pepper, salt.

--
Mort

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> Hi all @ 2:52 AM. I have two 6lb bone in pork blade roasts brinning in
> salt,sugar, cider vinegar and seasoning solution. It will go into the
> Smokey Mountain early Sunday @ 250F. I'm planning on about 8 hours.
> What would you do about a rub after brinning? Might you not rub? The
> brine is 20% cider vinegar, with 1/4 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar per
> quart. It will have been in the brine 72 hours.

I would still use rub. Apply it just before putting them into the WSM.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>> Hi all @ 2:52 AM. I have two 6lb bone in pork blade roasts brinning in
>> salt,sugar, cider vinegar and seasoning solution. It will go into the
>> Smokey Mountain early Sunday @ 250F. I'm planning on about 8 hours.
>> What would you do about a rub after brinning? Might you not rub? The
>> brine is 20% cider vinegar, with 1/4 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar per
>> quart. It will have been in the brine 72 hours.

> I would still use rub. Apply it just before putting them into the WSM.
>
> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

Dave, in view of what I've already put into the brine, what would you rub
with?\
Thanks,
Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2/20/2010 9:45 AM, Kent wrote:
> > wrote in message
> news
>> In >,
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all @ 2:52 AM. I have two 6lb bone in pork blade roasts brinning in
>>> salt,sugar, cider vinegar and seasoning solution. It will go into the
>>> Smokey
>>> Mountain early Sunday @ 250F. I'm planning on about 8 hours. What would
>>> you
>>> do about a rub after brinning? Might you not rub? The brine is 20% cider
>>> vinegar, with 1/4 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar per quart. It will have been
>>> in
>>> the brine 72 hours.
>>> Thanks so much,
>>> Kent

>> No herbages???
>> --
>> Peace! Om
>>

> I didn't, and usually don't. I think it's hard to get a herbal flavor
> throughout a brine, even though this was relatively small liquid enclosing
> the roasts in ziplock bags. I use the assertive seasonings, like clove,
> allspice, etc. You can put some prov. herbs in a small amt. of water,
> microwave that and add that to your brine. I just realized I forgot garlic!
> Oh Well.
>
> Kent

You could use an injector or poke holes into meat.

--
regards, mike
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2/20/2010 11:39 AM, Mort wrote:
> Kent wrote:
>
>> Hi all @ 2:52 AM. I have two 6lb bone in pork blade roasts brinning in
>> salt,sugar, cider vinegar and seasoning solution. It will go into the
>> Smokey Mountain early Sunday @ 250F. I'm planning on about 8 hours.
>> What would you do about a rub after brinning? Might you not rub? The
>> brine is 20% cider vinegar, with 1/4 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar per
>> quart. It will have been in the brine 72 hours.
>> Thanks so much,
>> Kent

> Leave out the vinegar or anything else high acid. It
> makes the meat mushy.
>
> Without any acidic ingredients the "soak time"
> becomes much less of an issue. You don't have to
> worry about ruining the meat by leaving it in
> too long.
>
> For rub I like ground chipotle (some seeds removed
> before grinding to knock down the capsaicin a bit),
> paprika, garlic powder, ground black pepper, salt.

I agree about vinegar, cut out the vinegar, brine longer. I brine
brisket and 12 LB turkey for three days (max, no longer!)

--
regards, mike
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r
http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
(mawil55)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

piedmont wrote:

> On 2/20/2010 11:39 AM, Mort wrote:
>

>> Leave out the vinegar or anything else high acid. It
>> makes the meat mushy.
>>
>> Without any acidic ingredients the "soak time"
>> becomes much less of an issue. You don't have to
>> worry about ruining the meat by leaving it in
>> too long.
>>
>> For rub I like ground chipotle (some seeds removed
>> before grinding to knock down the capsaicin a bit),
>> paprika, garlic powder, ground black pepper, salt.
>>

> I agree about vinegar, cut out the vinegar, brine longer. I brine
> brisket and 12 LB turkey for three days (max, no longer!)

Yep. Vinegar is fine, as evidenced by the popularity of
vinegar based sauces. There's a million of those recipes
out there for a good reason.

It just has no place whatsoever in a brine.

--
Mort

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> Mort said:
>
>>For rub I like ground chipotle (some seeds removed
>>before grinding to knock down the capsaicin a bit),
>>paprika, garlic powder, ground black pepper, salt.

> Chipotle powder is a fine rub. One of my rib treatments is to slather with
> CYM, sprinkle with chipotle powder, gran garlic and onion, and S&P. It's not
> nearly as spicy hot on the finished ribs as you might expect.

We have different sources for chipotle product, I'm
fairly sure.

I smoke dry my own. It's seriously hot stuff and
nothing like store bought.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> "Kent" > wrote:
>
>> Hi all @ 2:52 AM. I have two 6lb bone in pork blade roasts brinning in
>> salt,sugar, cider vinegar and seasoning solution. It will go into the Smokey
>> Mountain early Sunday @ 250F. I'm planning on about 8 hours. What would you
>> do about a rub after brinning? Might you not rub? The brine is 20% cider
>> vinegar, with 1/4 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar per quart. It will have been in
>> the brine 72 hours.
>> Thanks so much,
>> Kent

Call me stupid for killfiling Kent and having to piggyback off of
someone else's response, but isn't a pork blade roast what we here
have been calling a "pork butt" or "pork shoulder" 800+ times a
year?

And hasn't the idea of vinegar in a brine been nixed here about a
dozen times a year, several times in response to other Kent posts?

It's like talking to a brick wall.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> And hasn't the idea of vinegar in a brine been nixed here about
> dozen times a year, several times in response to other Kent
> posts?

Steve, here's a somewhat related question. I know that shimp and
scallops can be "cooked' in the refrigerator by merely submerging
them in lemon juice. It's called Caviche, as I recall but am too
lazy to look up. Wouldn't injecting or submerging any meat in an
acid like citric acid or vinegar to the same thing?

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonny wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>

>> And hasn't the idea of vinegar in a brine been nixed here about a
>> dozen times a year, several times in response to other Kent posts?

> Steve, here's a somewhat related question. I know that shimp and
> scallops can be "cooked' in the refrigerator by merely submerging them
> in lemon juice. It's called Caviche, as I recall but am too lazy to
> look up. Wouldn't injecting or submerging any meat in an acid like
> citric acid or vinegar to the same thing?

ding ding ding

Correct

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Feb-2010, Sqwertz > wrote:

> > "Kent" > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all @ 2:52 AM. I have two 6lb bone in pork blade roasts brinning in
> >>
> >> salt,sugar, cider vinegar and seasoning solution. It will go into the
> >> Smokey
> >> Mountain early Sunday @ 250F. I'm planning on about 8 hours. What
> >> would you
> >> do about a rub after brinning? Might you not rub? The brine is 20%
> >> cider
> >> vinegar, with 1/4 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar per quart. It will have
> >> been in
> >> the brine 72 hours.
> >> Thanks so much,
> >> Kent

> Call me stupid for killfiling Kent and having to piggyback off of
> someone else's response, but isn't a pork blade roast what we here
> have been calling a "pork butt" or "pork shoulder" 800+ times a
> year?
>
> And hasn't the idea of vinegar in a brine been nixed here about a
> dozen times a year, several times in response to other Kent posts?
>
> It's like talking to a brick wall.
>
> -sw

It's amusing to watch the unexpected degradation of seemingly
sane people to a level that can be described only as moronic. By
commenting at all, I guess I have joined the herd.

I wonder if I can still persuade my NB Silver to convert a fresh
pork butt into legitimate barbecue.

--
Brick (Better to remain silent and be thought a fool)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 22, 7:03*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> > *"Kent" > wrote:

> >> Hi all @ 2:52 AM. I have two 6lb bone in pork blade roasts brinning in
> >> salt,sugar, cider vinegar and seasoning solution. It will go into the Smokey
> >> Mountain early Sunday @ 250F. I'm planning on about 8 hours. What would you
> >> do about a rub after brinning? Might you not rub? The brine is 20% cider
> >> vinegar, with 1/4 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar per quart. It will have been in
> >> the brine 72 hours.
> >> Thanks so much,
> >> Kent

> Call me stupid for killfiling Kent and having to piggyback off of
> someone else's response, but isn't a pork blade roast what we here
> have been calling a "pork butt" or "pork shoulder" 800+ times a
> year?
>
> And hasn't the idea of vinegar in a brine been nixed here about a
> dozen times a year, several times in response to other Kent posts?
>
> It's like talking to a brick wall.
>
> -sw

Well, I'm giving Om the benefit of a doubt for being new here and was
going to let him discover Kent all on his own. Thought it would be
amusing to watch someone else go through: the helpful phase, to the
WTF? stage, to the final disgusted stage. Had some side bets going too
on how long it would take. But you ruined it, thanks Steve.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article
tutall > wrote:

> > Call me stupid for killfiling Kent and having to piggyback off of
> > someone else's response, but isn't a pork blade roast what we here
> > have been calling a "pork butt" or "pork shoulder" 800+ times a
> > year?
> >
> > And hasn't the idea of vinegar in a brine been nixed here about a
> > dozen times a year, several times in response to other Kent posts?
> >
> > It's like talking to a brick wall.
> >
> > -sw

> Well, I'm giving Om the benefit of a doubt for being new here and was
> going to let him discover Kent all on his own. Thought it would be
> amusing to watch someone else go through: the helpful phase, to the
> WTF? stage, to the final disgusted stage. Had some side bets going too
> on how long it would take. But you ruined it, thanks Steve.

<lol> I know Steve in Person as he's local to me. ;-)
Oh, and, by the way, Om is a "she".
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> > Garlic, Thyme and a bit of basil.
> >
> > If you cook your brine into a "tea" ahead of time, the herbal flavors
> > DO soak in. I know from personal experience.

> I'm skeptical but I'll give it a try some time. I know from experience that
> there's little difference between seasoned brines and those loaded up with
> herbs but maybe if the salt water is infused with the flavor it makes a
> diff. I also suspect that the acidic components which are often incorrectly
> added would break down small bits of seasoning even faster than it breaks
> down meat, and before it can affect the taste.
>
> MartyB

I've done the herbal "cure" bit for 3 to 5 days with Potassium Nitrate,
then slow smoke. Works a treat for making Canadian Bacon:

<http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/CandadianBacon#>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> "Kent" > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all @ 2:52 AM. I have two 6lb bone in pork blade roasts brinning in
>>> salt,sugar, cider vinegar and seasoning solution. It will go into the
>>> Smokey
>>> Mountain early Sunday @ 250F. I'm planning on about 8 hours. What would
>>> you
>>> do about a rub after brinning? Might you not rub? The brine is 20% cider
>>> vinegar, with 1/4 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar per quart. It will have
>>> been in
>>> the brine 72 hours.
>>> Thanks so much,
>>> Kent

> Call me stupid for killfiling Kent and having to piggyback off of
> someone else's response, but isn't a pork blade roast what we here
> have been calling a "pork butt" or "pork shoulder" 800+ times a
> year?
>
> And hasn't the idea of vinegar in a brine been nixed here about a
> dozen times a year, several times in response to other Kent posts?
>
> It's like talking to a brick wall.
>
> -sw

Steve, your posts sounds like you've been drinking and posting again. Please
try to refrain from this. It doesn't do anything for the group as a whole.
Your dialogue above isn't worth reponding to.

Again please continue killfiling my posts.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonny" > wrote in message

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>
>> And hasn't the idea of vinegar in a brine been nixed here about a
>> dozen times a year, several times in response to other Kent posts?

> Steve, here's a somewhat related question. I know that shimp and scallops
> can be "cooked' in the refrigerator by merely submerging them in lemon
> juice. It's called Caviche, as I recall but am too lazy to look up.
> Wouldn't injecting or submerging any meat in an acid like citric acid or
> vinegar to the same thing?
>
> --
> Nonny

Nonny, cerviche, usually white fish which has been salted and acidified,
usually by lemon or lime juice, but also vinegar, is "cooked" by this
process. I know of no meat[pork, beef, chicken, etc] where this alone makes
it edible. However there probably is some primitive tribal village where
something lke this is practiced.. Dry cured pork isn't cooked of course.
Gravlax, a favorite of mine, is only salted.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> Brick said:
>
>> It's amusing to watch the unexpected degradation of seemingly
>> sane people to a level that can be described only as moronic. By
>> commenting at all, I guess I have joined the herd.
>>
>> I wonder if I can still persuade my NB Silver to convert a fresh
>> pork butt into legitimate barbecue.

> Only if it's one of those boneless blade butts.

I qued my 6lb bone in blade roast at 225-250F for eight hours yesterday to a
temp of 180F. The bone fell off. The result was excellent. The meat sliced,
though it pulled apart with ease. It tasted great.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mort" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>
>> Hi all @ 2:52 AM. I have two 6lb bone in pork blade roasts brinning in
>> salt,sugar, cider vinegar and seasoning solution. It will go into the
>> Smokey Mountain early Sunday @ 250F. I'm planning on about 8 hours. What
>> would you do about a rub after brinning? Might you not rub? The brine is
>> 20% cider vinegar, with 1/4 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar per quart. It will
>> have been in the brine 72 hours.
>> Thanks so much,
>> Kent

> Leave out the vinegar or anything else high acid. It
> makes the meat mushy.
>
> Without any acidic ingredients the "soak time"
> becomes much less of an issue. You don't have to
> worry about ruining the meat by leaving it in
> too long.
>
> For rub I like ground chipotle (some seeds removed
> before grinding to knock down the capsaicin a bit),
> paprika, garlic powder, ground black pepper, salt.
>
> --
> Mort

The vinegar[approximately 15-20%] did not "mush" the meat at all. It may
have given a very slight "bite" to the taste of the pork, something I think
it can use.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> "Mort" > wrote in message
>
>>Leave out the vinegar or anything else high acid. It
>>makes the meat mushy.
>>
>>Without any acidic ingredients the "soak time"
>>becomes much less of an issue. You don't have to
>>worry about ruining the meat by leaving it in
>>too long.
>>
>>For rub I like ground chipotle (some seeds removed
>>before grinding to knock down the capsaicin a bit),
>>paprika, garlic powder, ground black pepper, salt.
>>

> The vinegar[approximately 15-20%] did not "mush" the meat at all. It may
> have given a very slight "bite" to the taste of the pork, something I think
> it can use.

What's so strange about your pronouncements is how
completely backward they are.

I've seen you comment previously that leaving something
too long in a salt based brine makes them "mushy". In fact,
salt (or any other strong solute such as sugar) have the
effect of tightening meat fibers. The longer the cure
time the more the effect.

Now you advocate vinegar which has a proven and well
documented effect of breaking down meat texture (see:
the tenderizing effect of acidic marinades).

Topsy turvy.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> The problem is finding red ripe jalapenos around here most of the year so
> for me, I can only go the DIY route near the end of the garden season, and
> that's not enough for a year since I use the ripe japs for other things too.
> If you're growing your peppers try smoking some chilacas (normally pasilla
> when dry but there is another name for them smoked IIRC, which I don't RC
> right now). Or try smoking some habanero for a very different taste, or some
> pimento to get smoked paprika. Wonderful stuff.

This is the problem... finding the right japs from a good
supplier.

Anyone else notice how completely inconsistent jalapeno
crops seem to be? Every year is different. Drives me nuts.

Habs, on the other hand, seem to be right on the money
every time. Very predictable.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 23, 10:19*am, Mort > wrote:

> What's so strange about your pronouncements is how
> completely backward they are.

You're new here, aren't ya? That's not strange, for Kent.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2/23/2010 9:58 AM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
snip like my momma said too

>> If you cook your brine into a "tea" ahead of time, the herbal flavors
>> DO soak in. I know from personal experience.

> I'm skeptical but I'll give it a try some time. I know from experience that
> there's little difference between seasoned brines and those loaded up with
> herbs but maybe if the salt water is infused with the flavor it makes a
> diff. I also suspect that the acidic components which are often incorrectly
> added would break down small bits of seasoning even faster than it breaks
> down meat, and before it can affect the taste.
>
> MartyB

It helps get the flavors out of the herbal (garlic, pepper, any seeds,
any leaf type herbs, etc) seasonings and into the water, especially good
if soaking meats for just a short times.

--
regards, mike
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r
http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
(mawil55)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mort" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>
>> "Mort" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Leave out the vinegar or anything else high acid. It
>>>makes the meat mushy.
>>>
>>>Without any acidic ingredients the "soak time"
>>>becomes much less of an issue. You don't have to
>>>worry about ruining the meat by leaving it in
>>>too long.
>>>
>>>For rub I like ground chipotle (some seeds removed
>>>before grinding to knock down the capsaicin a bit),
>>>paprika, garlic powder, ground black pepper, salt.
>>>

>> The vinegar[approximately 15-20%] did not "mush" the meat at all. It may
>> have given a very slight "bite" to the taste of the pork, something I
>> think it can use.

> What's so strange about your pronouncements is how
> completely backward they are.
>
> I've seen you comment previously that leaving something
> too long in a salt based brine makes them "mushy".

Please document this. What did I say?

>In fact, > salt (or any other strong solute such as sugar) have the
> effect of tightening meat fibers. The longer the cure
> time the more the effect.

What is your source?

> Now you advocate vinegar which has a proven and well
> documented effect of breaking down meat texture (see:
> the tenderizing effect of acidic marinades).

What is you source?

> Topsy turvy.
>
> --
> Mort

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Nonny" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> And hasn't the idea of vinegar in a brine been nixed here
>>> about a
>>> dozen times a year, several times in response to other Kent
>>> posts?

>> Steve, here's a somewhat related question. I know that shimp
>> and scallops can be "cooked' in the refrigerator by merely
>> submerging them in lemon juice. It's called Caviche, as I
>> recall but am too lazy to look up. Wouldn't injecting or
>> submerging any meat in an acid like citric acid or vinegar to
>> the same thing?
>>
>> --
>> Nonny
>>

> Nonny, cerviche, usually white fish which has been salted and
> acidified, usually by lemon or lime juice, but also vinegar, is
> "cooked" by this process. I know of no meat[pork, beef, chicken,
> etc] where this alone makes it edible. However there probably is
> some primitive tribal village where something lke this is
> practiced.. Dry cured pork isn't cooked of course. Gravlax, a
> favorite of mine, is only salted.

I've had it often at casino buffets or on the lido deck of cruise
ships where they do it with small shrimp and bay scallops,
together with onion, green pepper and (occasionally) very finely
shaved cabbage. It's not bad at all.

--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a Republican seating option. These are
seats which blow heated air onto your backside in the winter
and cooled air in the summer. If they were democrat car seats,
they would just blow smoke up your rump year-round.