Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Bob Bob is offline

Default Very disapointed in Traeger handling a known manufacturing defect

Shortly after I bought a Traeger grill it began to shed paint. Then
it was coming off in sheets. They had a known (and admitted) problem
learning how to powder coat and nearly all units had the problem. I
keep my grill in a dry garage.

The issues were well documented and even went to litigation. All
searchable on line.

Their solution when confronted was to offered to send a free can of
spray paint.

Another letter was written and yielded their final answer (after 2
calls and several transfers, finally to George Costner); "Sorry, now
out of warranty, too bad for you".

Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bob wrote:
> Shortly after I bought a Traeger grill it began to shed paint. Then
> it was coming off in sheets. They had a known (and admitted) problem
> learning how to powder coat and nearly all units had the problem. I
> keep my grill in a dry garage.

You have to be fairly inept not to be able to powercoat properly.

> The issues were well documented and even went to litigation. All
> searchable on line.
>
> Their solution when confronted was to offered to send a free can of
> spray paint.

Hopefully heat rated so it doesn't blister. But you can't just lay down
paint over pealing powerder coat. :/

> Another letter was written and yielded their final answer (after 2
> calls and several transfers, finally to George Costner); "Sorry, now
> out of warranty, too bad for you".
>
> Bob

If I bought it using a credit card it would have gone back that day
and been contested with the credit card company. But it sounds like
you waited way too long for this company to make good.

All I can say is file a BBB complaint so that it's documented and/or
go write a complaint at ripoffreport.com

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

DougW wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>> Shortly after I bought a Traeger grill it began to shed paint. Then
>> it was coming off in sheets. They had a known (and admitted) problem
>> learning how to powder coat and nearly all units had the problem. I
>> keep my grill in a dry garage.

> You have to be fairly inept not to be able to powercoat properly.
>
>> The issues were well documented and even went to litigation. All
>> searchable on line.
>>
>> Their solution when confronted was to offered to send a free can of
>> spray paint.

> Hopefully heat rated so it doesn't blister. But you can't just lay
> down paint over pealing powerder coat. :/
>
>> Another letter was written and yielded their final answer (after 2
>> calls and several transfers, finally to George Costner); "Sorry, now
>> out of warranty, too bad for you".
>>
>> Bob

> If I bought it using a credit card it would have gone back that day
> and been contested with the credit card company. But it sounds like
> you waited way too long for this company to make good.
>
> All I can say is file a BBB complaint so that it's documented and/or
> go write a complaint at ripoffreport.com

http://www.ripoffreport.com/outdoor-...powd-c58pd.htm

Someone already has.

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:18:23 -0600, DougW wrote:

> Bob wrote:
>> Shortly after I bought a Traeger grill it began to shed paint. Then
>> it was coming off in sheets. They had a known (and admitted) problem
>> learning how to powder coat and nearly all units had the problem. I
>> keep my grill in a dry garage.

> You have to be fairly inept not to be able to powercoat properly.

Is this some sort of baked enamel finish, or is it just a spray on?

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:18:23 -0600, DougW wrote:
>
>> Bob wrote:
>>> Shortly after I bought a Traeger grill it began to shed paint. Then
>>> it was coming off in sheets. They had a known (and admitted)
>>> problem learning how to powder coat and nearly all units had the
>>> problem. I keep my grill in a dry garage.

>> You have to be fairly inept not to be able to powercoat properly.

> Is this some sort of baked enamel finish, or is it just a spray on?

close.

Basically you are using static electricity to cover a bare piece
of metal with a powder (usually a thermoset plastic). The whole
thing then goes into an oven to bake. The end result is a very
tough heat resistant coating.

The main thing is having the metal clean and getting to the correct
temperature. I'm guessing they missed on getting the part up to
a proper temperature or left machining oil on it.

I've done powdercoating in an old oven. It stinks like hell
and the stuff isn't food safe, so don't do it in your home oven.
http://www.alternatorparts.com/powde..._main_page.htm

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

DougW wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> You have to be fairly inept not to be able to powercoat properly.

^
Also realizes he can't spell powDercoat properly.

>> Is this some sort of baked enamel finish, or is it just a spray on?

> close.
>
> Basically you are using static electricity to cover a bare piece
> of metal with a powder (usually a thermoset plastic). The whole
> thing then goes into an oven to bake. The end result is a very
> tough heat resistant coating.
>
> The main thing is having the metal clean and getting to the correct
> temperature. I'm guessing they missed on getting the part up to
> a proper temperature or left machining oil on it.
>
> I've done powdercoating in an old oven. It stinks like hell
> and the stuff isn't food safe, so don't do it in your home oven.
> http://www.alternatorparts.com/powde..._main_page.htm

Ribs almost done. Just got to let them rest without being tempted
...oh so tempted.. to start munching dinner.

I know. Make some cornbread muffins!

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2/15/2010 1:52 PM, Bob wrote:
> Shortly after I bought a Traeger grill it began to shed paint. Then
> it was coming off in sheets. They had a known (and admitted) problem
> learning how to powder coat and nearly all units had the problem. I
> keep my grill in a dry garage.
>
> The issues were well documented and even went to litigation. All
> searchable on line.
>
> Their solution when confronted was to offered to send a free can of
> spray paint.
>
> Another letter was written and yielded their final answer (after 2
> calls and several transfers, finally to George Costner); "Sorry, now
> out of warranty, too bad for you".
>
> Bob

start a pressure campaign against them make contacts with and register
complaints with documentation to their local Better Business Bureau, any
group they may have registered with, such as any bbq associations, their
local chamber of commerce and be persistant.

--
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

(mawil55)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Bob Bob is offline

I saw that report on ripoff .com. I'll file another one. The BBB is
a good idea. Will do. And Doug, Who has the problem with powdercoat
spelling?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bob wrote:
> I saw that report on ripoff .com. I'll file another one. The BBB is
> a good idea. Will do. And Doug, Who has the problem with powdercoat
> spelling?

Me. For some reason I typed powercoat. :/ I blame lack of good scotch.

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Bob Bob is offline

On Feb 15, 7:07*pm, "DougW" >
wrote:
> Bob wrote:
> > I saw that report on ripoff .com. *I'll file another one. *The BBB is
> > a good idea. *Will do. *And Doug, Who has the problem with powdercoat
> > spelling?

> Me. *For some reason I typed powercoat. :/ *I blame lack of good scotch.
>
> --
> DougW

Ahaa! easy mistake. Report filed on Ripoff. Will campaign BBB
later.
When dealing with Traeger, I was not demanding a new grill, I was open
to their suggestions on resolving the problem. I would have
considered them covering, or sharing the cost of
disassembly,sandblast, refinishing and asembly, a partial; credit on a
replacement unit, or any other solution. Offering a $3.00 can of
spray paint was unacceptable. When George Costner (Traeger Pellet
Grills LLC) immediately drew a line in the sand, I expressed my
dissapointment and initiated sharing my experience. Maybe if they see
other correspondance they will reopen a dialog. Amazon and several
BBQ sites have my review.

I am not sure that the cost of litigation would pay off after attorney
fees, etc.

Bob

food defect levels Somebody General Cooking 1 26-06-2012 07:20 AM
Handling grapes Phluge General Cooking 18 30-08-2008 09:17 PM
Inflatables Manufacturing [email protected] General Cooking 0 01-04-2008 04:02 AM
Sushi Manufacturing David J Sushi 4 27-02-2004 12:38 PM
REQ Advice: Tokusei Nakiri Santoku Gata Knife care and handling? MojoJojo Cooking Equipment 2 24-11-2003 07:42 PM