Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Picking up the slack for Nonny

Well...

We haven't had any new recipes around here for a while, and usually by
now Nonny has hit us with something.

Since he is under the weather, I wanted to post a recipe on his behalf
that I used last year that was a combination of a few recipes to make
some good, easy junk food for the upcoming bowl game.

This particular idea is important for me since I have no dog in the
upcoming fight, I will be concentrating on eating grilled sausages,
heart stopping dips (with vegetables of course!), dogs, burgers, and
of course beer drinking with the Super Bowl as my excuse.

The only way this recipe could be easier is if someone made it for
you.

Grilled Hot Wings

Take about 5 - 6 pounds (or more) of chicken wings and separate the
wing and the drum.

Put them in a bag just large enough to hold them all. Cover with any
brand of "zesty" Italian salad dressing and leave them for 24 hours or
so in the fridge.

Take them out before grilling, and let them drain on a rack, leaving
on all the seasonings. By the time the fire is ready, they will have
enough dressing off of them.

Indirectly grill until the meat is fully cooked. Don't grill only as
they are too small to pick up much smoke.

Move the wings over the fire to crisp up the skin, then remove from
the fire. Let them sit about 5 minutes to cool a bit and make sure
the skin stays crisp. Lightly salt and set aside.

In a *large* bowl, pour in a bottle of bleu cheese dressing, or bleu
cheese ranch. Add Frank's hot sauce (or any vinegar based hot sauce)
until it is just a bit hotter than you like it.
Feel free to add ground cayenne or anything else to add the burn.

Take the still "almost" hot wings and put them in your bowl with your
wing sauce. Toss them in your orange sauce concoction, until they are
well coated.

Pour out on a large tray and stand back. They will be gone shortly.

Other adds to the homemade wing sauce have been parmesan cheese
(cheap stuff in the green tube, not the good grated stuff), tequila to
thin it down a bit, more salt, etc.

I made some with Ranch dressing, Franks, lots of fresh ground black
pepper and parmesan that was also very popular. It came out kind of
sticky due to the dry cheese, so it hung onto the wings very well. It
also tasted great on large strips of grilled zucchini, and on grilled
green onions.

Get well soon, Nonny.

Anyone else got any quick, down and dirty recipes to celebrate a day
of ignoring your diet?

Please... no gourmet stuff.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4-Feb-2010, " > wrote:

> Well...
>
> We haven't had any new recipes around here for a while, and usually by
> now Nonny has hit us with something.
>
> Since he is under the weather, I wanted to post a recipe on his behalf
> that I used last year that was a combination of a few recipes to make
> some good, easy junk food for the upcoming bowl game.
>
> This particular idea is important for me since I have no dog in the
> upcoming fight, I will be concentrating on eating grilled sausages,
> heart stopping dips (with vegetables of course!), dogs, burgers, and
> of course beer drinking with the Super Bowl as my excuse.
>
> The only way this recipe could be easier is if someone made it for
> you.
>
> Grilled Hot Wings
>
> Take about 5 - 6 pounds (or more) of chicken wings and separate the
> wing and the drum.
>
> Put them in a bag just large enough to hold them all. Cover with any
> brand of "zesty" Italian salad dressing and leave them for 24 hours or
> so in the fridge.
>
> Take them out before grilling, and let them drain on a rack, leaving
> on all the seasonings. By the time the fire is ready, they will have
> enough dressing off of them.
>
> Indirectly grill until the meat is fully cooked. Don't grill only as
> they are too small to pick up much smoke.
>
> Move the wings over the fire to crisp up the skin, then remove from
> the fire. Let them sit about 5 minutes to cool a bit and make sure
> the skin stays crisp. Lightly salt and set aside.
>
> In a *large* bowl, pour in a bottle of bleu cheese dressing, or bleu
> cheese ranch. Add Frank's hot sauce (or any vinegar based hot sauce)
> until it is just a bit hotter than you like it.
> Feel free to add ground cayenne or anything else to add the burn.
>
> Take the still "almost" hot wings and put them in your bowl with your
> wing sauce. Toss them in your orange sauce concoction, until they are
> well coated.
>
> Pour out on a large tray and stand back. They will be gone shortly.
>
> Other adds to the homemade wing sauce have been parmesan cheese
> (cheap stuff in the green tube, not the good grated stuff), tequila to
> thin it down a bit, more salt, etc.
>
> I made some with Ranch dressing, Franks, lots of fresh ground black
> pepper and parmesan that was also very popular. It came out kind of
> sticky due to the dry cheese, so it hung onto the wings very well. It
> also tasted great on large strips of grilled zucchini, and on grilled
> green onions.
>
> Get well soon, Nonny.
>
> Anyone else got any quick, down and dirty recipes to celebrate a day
> of ignoring your diet?
>
> Please... no gourmet stuff.
>
> Robert

For years Nathalie and I drove twice a month or so the the Air Base
commissary and after a hard day in the aisles and on the roads, we
would return home both famished and pressed for time to get the
perishables put away. However the fetish got started, we adapted
a routine of throwing together a quick beenie weenie from Campbells
Pork and Beans and hotdogs du jour.

Open can of pork and beans. Dump into sauce pan over medium
heat. While beans are getting warm, open a package of hotdogs
and cut two or three into half inch lengths. Add to pot with pork
and beans. Stir to incorporate. When bubbly hot serve with your
favorite bread. After four hours of driving and shopping, it tastes
as good as surf & turf. For a gourmet version, add chopped onion
and green pepper.
--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message
er.com...

> [...]

> Base
> commissary and after a hard day in the aisles and on the roads,
> we
> would return home both famished and pressed for time to get the
> perishables put away. However the fetish got started, we adapted
> a routine of throwing together a quick beenie weenie from
> Campbells
> Pork and Beans and hotdogs du jour.
>
> Open can of pork and beans. Dump into sauce pan over medium
> heat. While beans are getting warm, open a package of hotdogs
> and cut two or three into half inch lengths. Add to pot with
> pork
> and beans. Stir to incorporate. When bubbly hot serve with your
> favorite bread. After four hours of driving and shopping, it
> tastes
> as good as surf & turf. For a gourmet version, add chopped onion

Sorry to be not posting much, but I'm just now trying to get out
of the sling. When Mrs. Nonny and I married, we went to Expo '67
in my Dad's pickup. We camped out beside the road, cooking on the
grill. Money was tight and all we had was a mattress in back, a
grill and an ice chest. For most of the 2-1/2 weeks, our dinner
was grilled hot dogs or hamburgers with canned chili. To this
very day, it still brings back good, warm, memories.

Someday, I might be able to bring myself to describe what it's
like "showering" in a very cold rain on the N. side of Lake
Superior, using the rain to wash away the soap.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 4, 8:06*pm, "Nonny" > wrote:
> "Brick" > wrote in message

> > On *4-Feb-2010, " >

> *For most of the 2-1/2 weeks, our dinner
> was grilled hot dogs or hamburgers with canned chili. *To this
> very day, it still brings back good, warm, memories.

One of life's pleasures is grilled burgers or dogs with canned chile.
And for some damn reason the blackened meat bits go best. And yeah,
damn damn good stuff together. And we all know the man who invented
chile dogs was blessed.

> Someday, I might be able to bring myself to describe what it's
> like "showering" in a very cold rain on the N. side of Lake
> Superior, using the rain to wash away the soap.

No need, but don't forget the pleasurable parts, like getting warm
again. I still remember as a young man, hell still a boy, coming back
from a duck hunt tired, dirty and cold, enjoying laying in the back of
the station wagon with the dog sleeping next to me and soaking up the
warmth on the ride home, the car smelling like dead duck, wet dog,
marsh mud and effort.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2/4/2010 11:06 PM, Nonny wrote:
> SNIP
> Someday, I might be able to bring myself to describe what it's like
> "showering" in a very cold rain on the N. side of Lake Superior, using
> the rain to wash away the soap.

That's OK Nonny, perhaps an image better left alone, Naked Nonny, nope,
don't go there man! : )
--
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 4, 9:04*pm, " >
wrote:
> Well...
>
> We haven't had any new recipes around here for a while, and usually by
> now Nonny has hit us with something.

SNIP

> Anyone else got any quick, down and dirty recipes to celebrate a day
> of ignoring your diet?
>
> Please... no gourmet stuff.
>
> Robert

2 lbs frozen pulled pork
1 cup dry mixed beans
4 cups beef broth
5 cups water
2 onions, diced
1 stick celery, diced
6 oz tomato paste
salt & pepper to taste

I put all that in the crock pot yesterday morning and came home last
night to a wonderful smell. I froze the leftovers to make 3 more easy
dinners for cold weeknights. We are half way through winter today and
the tough half is behind us <knocks on wood>.

Cam
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article
" > wrote:

> Anyone else got any quick, down and dirty recipes to celebrate a day
> of ignoring your diet?
>
> Please... no gourmet stuff.
>
> Robert

Your recipe sounds interesting, but I prefer my wings a bit simpler with
no heat. ;-) Chicken wings are already a richly flavored meat imo.

Anyhoo, here is my recipe for Armadillo Eggs:

24 fresh or canned Jalapenos (whole)
3 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
4 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temp
4 oz. Italian Sausage, cooked and broken up
8 strips of bacon, raw and cut into 1/3rd's.

Slice peppers down one side and open up. Remove stems, seeds and
internal veins.

Mix cream cheese, cheddar and sausage. Stuff the cheese and sausage mix
into the peppers, as much as they will hold and still close up.

Take one of the 1/3 strips of bacon and wrap around the pepper and
secure with a toothpick.

Grill until the bacon is done.

Serve.

These are even easier to grill if you skewer several on a bamboo skewer
as it makes them easier to turn. They can be served with a BBQ sauce or
salad dressing, but it's not really needed!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article om>,
"Brick" > wrote:

> For years Nathalie and I drove twice a month or so the the Air Base
> commissary and after a hard day in the aisles and on the roads, we
> would return home both famished and pressed for time to get the
> perishables put away. However the fetish got started, we adapted
> a routine of throwing together a quick beenie weenie from Campbells
> Pork and Beans and hotdogs du jour.
>
> Open can of pork and beans. Dump into sauce pan over medium
> heat. While beans are getting warm, open a package of hotdogs
> and cut two or three into half inch lengths. Add to pot with pork
> and beans. Stir to incorporate. When bubbly hot serve with your
> favorite bread. After four hours of driving and shopping, it tastes
> as good as surf & turf. For a gourmet version, add chopped onion
> and green pepper.
> --
> Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

You could also probably use Vienna sausages for this?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 5, 6:42*am, Cam > wrote:
> On Feb 4, 9:04*pm, " >
> wrote:
>
> > Well...

> > We haven't had any new recipes around here for a while, and usually by
> > now Nonny has hit us with something.

> SNIP
>
> > Anyone else got any quick, down and dirty recipes to celebrate a day
> > of ignoring your diet?

> > Please... no gourmet stuff.

> > Robert

> 2 lbs frozen pulled pork
> 1 cup dry mixed beans
> 4 cups beef broth
> 5 cups water
> 2 onions, diced
> 1 stick celery, diced
> 6 oz tomato paste
> salt & pepper to taste
>
> I put all that in the crock pot yesterday morning and came home last
> night to a wonderful smell. I froze the leftovers to make 3 more easy
> dinners for cold weeknights. We are half way through winter today and
> the tough half is behind us <knocks on wood>.
>
> Cam

Huhn! Would never have thought of that myself, will have to give that
a try. Thanks Cam.

Pulled pork also does well with a potato and egg scramble, make sure
to add salsa garlic and onion.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article
Cam > wrote:

> > Anyone else got any quick, down and dirty recipes to celebrate a day
> > of ignoring your diet?
> >
> > Please... no gourmet stuff.
> >
> > Robert

> 2 lbs frozen pulled pork
> 1 cup dry mixed beans
> 4 cups beef broth
> 5 cups water
> 2 onions, diced
> 1 stick celery, diced
> 6 oz tomato paste
> salt & pepper to taste
>
> I put all that in the crock pot yesterday morning and came home last
> night to a wonderful smell. I froze the leftovers to make 3 more easy
> dinners for cold weeknights. We are half way through winter today and
> the tough half is behind us <knocks on wood>.
>
> Cam

Gods this sounds good! I presume any frozen cooked meat would do? Or
even any thinly sliced or cubed raw. I'll bet ham would be the gods. ;-d

Been looking for good crockpot recipes lately. Ones that are not soup
but chunky stews and stuff.

I have a few pounds of black soybeans left on hand so can keep this low
carb too. Thanks!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 5, 10:46*am, Omelet > wrote:

> Been looking for good crockpot recipes lately. Ones that are not soup
> but chunky stews and stuff.

Have you tried pork carnitas? Same cut of meat.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...s-Tacos-241855

Per some of the reviews on here added 4 garlic cloves and 1tsp of
cumin to the slow cooker and it turned out great.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article
tutall > wrote:

> On Feb 5, 10:46*am, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > Been looking for good crockpot recipes lately. Ones that are not soup
> > but chunky stews and stuff.

> Have you tried pork carnitas? Same cut of meat.
>
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...s-Tacos-241855
>
> Per some of the reviews on here added 4 garlic cloves and 1tsp of
> cumin to the slow cooker and it turned out great.

* 2 pounds boneless country-style pork ribs or pork shoulder (Boston
butt), cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
* 2 teaspoons dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
* 1/2 large onion, cut into 4 pieces
* 1 avocado, halved, pitted, sliced
* Fresh cilantro sprigs
* Corn tortillas
* Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

Preparation

Toss pork in bowl of slow cooker with salt, black pepper, and dried
oregano to coat. Place onion pieces atop pork. Cover slow cooker and
cook pork on low setting until meat is very tender and falling apart,
about 6 hours.

Using slotted spoon, transfer pork to cutting board. Discard onion
pieces. Using fingers, shred pork; transfer carnitas to platter. Place
avocado slices, cilantro sprigs, and sliced red bell peppers, if
desired, alongside. Wrap corn tortillas in damp kitchen towel; microwave
until warm, about 1 minute. Serve carnitas with warm tortillas and
tomatillo salsa.

They sell packages of boneless pork shoulder chunks around here on the
cheap for "carnitas". Good idea, thanks! :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"tutall" > wrote in message
> On Feb 5, 6:42 am, Cam > wrote:
>> On Feb 4, 9:04 pm, "
>> >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Well...

>> > We haven't had any new recipes around here for a while, and
>> > usually by
>> > now Nonny has hit us with something.

>> SNIP
>>
>> > Anyone else got any quick, down and dirty recipes to
>> > celebrate a day
>> > of ignoring your diet?

>> > Please... no gourmet stuff.

>> > Robert

>> 2 lbs frozen pulled pork
>> 1 cup dry mixed beans
>> 4 cups beef broth
>> 5 cups water
>> 2 onions, diced
>> 1 stick celery, diced
>> 6 oz tomato paste
>> salt & pepper to taste
>>
>> I put all that in the crock pot yesterday morning and came home
>> last
>> night to a wonderful smell. I froze the leftovers to make 3
>> more easy
>> dinners for cold weeknights. We are half way through winter
>> today and
>> the tough half is behind us <knocks on wood>.
>>
>> Cam

> Huhn! Would never have thought of that myself, will have to give
> that
> a try. Thanks Cam.
>
> Pulled pork also does well with a potato and egg scramble, make
> sure
> to add salsa garlic and onion.

If the pulled pork is smoked, does the smoke flavor add or detract
when crock potting?

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonny wrote:

> "tutall" > wrote in message
>>
>> Huhn! Would never have thought of that myself, will have to give that
>> a try. Thanks Cam.
>>
>> Pulled pork also does well with a potato and egg scramble, make sure
>> to add salsa garlic and onion.

> If the pulled pork is smoked, does the smoke flavor add or detract when
> crock potting?

This is all subjective, but I think it's great. I make
stews with leftover pulled pork, brisket, etc. Also smoked beef
chuck.

--
Mort

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 5, 12:25*pm, Mort > wrote:
> Nonny wrote:
>
> > "tutall" > wrote in message

> >> Huhn! Would never have thought of that myself, will have to give that
> >> a try. Thanks Cam.

> >> Pulled pork also does well with a potato and egg scramble, make sure
> >> to add salsa garlic and onion.

> > If the pulled pork is smoked,

Is there any other kind? The smoky flavor with the eggs is akin to
bacon. And we know how well bacon+eggs go together.

does the smoke flavor add or detract when
> > crock potting?

Oh, sorry, was giving another recipe to use BBQ pulled pork with,
nothing to do with Oms' crock-pottery.

> This is all subjective, but I think it's great. I make
> stews with leftover pulled pork, brisket, etc. Also smoked beef
> chuck.

I got to try the chuck, how do you do it? Just rub n cook to 190?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

tutall wrote:

>>This is all subjective, but I think it's great. I make
>>stews with leftover pulled pork, brisket, etc. Also smoked beef
>>chuck.
>>

> I got to try the chuck, how do you do it? Just rub n cook to 190?

Yep. Simple as that.

The fork method is always the best indicator. Stick it
in and make sure it's tender enough.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 5, 12:47*pm, Mort > wrote:
> tutall wrote:

> > I got to try the chuck, how do you do it? Just rub n cook to 190?

> Yep. Simple as that.
>
> The fork method is always the best indicator. Stick it
> in and make sure it's tender enough.

No overnight holding, you can eat it right away? Or does it do better
if held overnight like a brisket?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 5-Feb-2010, Omelet > wrote:

> In article om>,
> "Brick" > wrote:
>
> > For years Nathalie and I drove twice a month or so the the Air Base
> > commissary and after a hard day in the aisles and on the roads, we
> > would return home both famished and pressed for time to get the
> > perishables put away. However the fetish got started, we adapted
> > a routine of throwing together a quick beenie weenie from Campbells
> > Pork and Beans and hotdogs du jour.
> >
> > Open can of pork and beans. Dump into sauce pan over medium
> > heat. While beans are getting warm, open a package of hotdogs
> > and cut two or three into half inch lengths. Add to pot with pork
> > and beans. Stir to incorporate. When bubbly hot serve with your
> > favorite bread. After four hours of driving and shopping, it tastes
> > as good as surf & turf. For a gourmet version, add chopped onion
> > and green pepper.
> > --
> > Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

> You could also probably use Vienna sausages for this?
> --
> Peace! Om

No doubt could Om and speaking of which, that would constitute no
frig long life trail rations wouldn't it. I doubt it would be an
improvement
tastewise. In the situation described, speed was the main issue. Storage
life and or portability had nothing to do with it.

In later years I have improved on Campbells recipe by carefull attention
to detail, but I can't beat the price by much if any. I use good fatback,
brown sugar, mollasses and a tich of real Vermont maple syrup. Home
made is definitely not quick.
--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 08:37:13 -0500, piedmont > wrote:

>On 2/4/2010 11:06 PM, Nonny wrote:
>> SNIP
>> Someday, I might be able to bring myself to describe what it's like
>> "showering" in a very cold rain on the N. side of Lake Superior, using
>> the rain to wash away the soap.
>>

>That's OK Nonny, perhaps an image better left alone, Naked Nonny, nope,
>don't go there man! : )

(grin) Speak for *yourself*, piedmont! ;-)

Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 5, 3:17*pm, "Nonny" > wrote:
> "tutall" > wrote in message

> > On Feb 5, 6:42 am, Cam > wrote:

> >> SNIP

> >> 2 lbs frozen pulled pork
> >> 1 cup dry mixed beans
> >> 4 cups beef broth
> >> 5 cups water
> >> 2 onions, diced
> >> 1 stick celery, diced
> >> 6 oz tomato paste
> >> salt & pepper to taste

> >> I put all that in the crock pot yesterday morning and came home
> >> last
> >> night to a wonderful smell. I froze the leftovers to make 3
> >> more easy
> >> dinners for cold weeknights. We are half way through winter
> >> today and
> >> the tough half is behind us <knocks on wood>.

> >> Cam

> > Huhn! Would never have thought of that myself, will have to give
> > that
> > a try. Thanks Cam.

> > Pulled pork also does well with a potato and egg scramble, make
> > sure
> > to add salsa garlic and onion.

> If the pulled pork is smoked, does the smoke flavor add or detract
> when crock potting?

AYFWM?
Smokey pulled pork is the best thing I keep in my freezer. Take a look
at my ingredient list. It would be a bland meal without the smoke. As
soon as I opened the door when I got home after work I could smell the
smokey pulled pork and I knew it would be a good meal. I don't own
liquid smoke, if I want BBQ taste without firing up the pit I add
frozen pulled pork.

Cam
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

tutall wrote:

> On Feb 5, 12:47 pm, Mort > wrote:
>
>>tutall wrote:

>>>I got to try the chuck, how do you do it? Just rub n cook to 190?

>>Yep. Simple as that.
>>
>>The fork method is always the best indicator. Stick it
>>in and make sure it's tender enough.
>>

> No overnight holding, you can eat it right away? Or does it do better
> if held overnight like a brisket?

No need to hold it, but you certainly can if you want.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 5, 1:03*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *tutall > wrote:
> > On Feb 5, 10:46*am, Omelet > wrote:

> > > Been looking for good crockpot recipes lately. Ones that are not soup
> > > but chunky stews and stuff.

> > Have you tried pork carnitas? Same cut of meat.

> >http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...d-Carnitas-Tac...

> > Per some of the reviews on here added 4 garlic cloves and 1tsp of
> > cumin to the slow cooker and it turned out great.

> * * * 2 pounds boneless country-style pork ribs or pork shoulder (Boston
> butt), cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
> * * * 2 teaspoons salt
> * * * 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
> * * * 2 teaspoons dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
> * * * 1/2 large onion, cut into 4 pieces
> * * * 1 avocado, halved, pitted, sliced
> * * * Fresh cilantro sprigs
> * * * Corn tortillas
> * * * Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
>
> Preparation
>
> Toss pork in bowl of slow cooker with salt, black pepper, and dried
> oregano to coat. Place onion pieces atop pork. Cover slow cooker and
> cook pork on low setting until meat is very tender and falling apart,
> about 6 hours.
>
> Using slotted spoon, transfer pork to cutting board. Discard onion
> pieces. Using fingers, shred pork; transfer carnitas to platter. Place
> avocado slices, cilantro sprigs, and sliced red bell peppers, if
> desired, alongside. Wrap corn tortillas in damp kitchen towel; microwave
> until warm, about 1 minute. Serve carnitas with warm tortillas and
> tomatillo salsa.
>
> They sell packages of boneless pork shoulder chunks around here on the
> cheap for "carnitas". *Good idea, thanks! :-)
> --
> Peace! Om

This screams for Achiote paste.
Pierre
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2/5/2010 9:02 PM, Desideria wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 08:37:13 -0500, > wrote:
>
>> On 2/4/2010 11:06 PM, Nonny wrote:
>>> SNIP
>>> Someday, I might be able to bring myself to describe what it's like
>>> "showering" in a very cold rain on the N. side of Lake Superior, using
>>> the rain to wash away the soap.
>>>

>> That's OK Nonny, perhaps an image better left alone, Naked Nonny, nope,
>> don't go there man! : )

> (grin) Speak for *yourself*, piedmont! ;-)
>

> Desideria

Ooo-Kayy, I'll leave you two alone now! (lol)

--
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2/5/2010 5:10 PM, tutall wrote:
> On Feb 5, 12:47 pm, > wrote:
>> tutall wrote:

>>> I got to try the chuck, how do you do it? Just rub n cook to 190?

>> Yep. Simple as that.
>>
>> The fork method is always the best indicator. Stick it
>> in and make sure it's tender enough.
>>

> No overnight holding, you can eat it right away? Or does it do better
> if held overnight like a brisket?

Tutall

I can't imagine any chef not saying the only way to cook roasted meat is
to allow it to sit after coming out of the oven for at least 20-40
minutes as it will continues to cook, and as it sits, the juices are
partially reabsorbed into the meat so you end up with a juicier meat if
allow to sit before cutting. I'm a firm believer in allow meat to rest
before slicing or pulling. The best briskets that I have had were
allowed to sit at least 12 hours!

--
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

piedmont wrote:

> I can't imagine any chef not saying the only way to cook roasted meat is
> to allow it to sit after coming out of the oven for at least 20-40
> minutes as it will continues to cook, and as it sits, the juices are
> partially reabsorbed into the meat so you end up with a juicier meat if
> allow to sit before cutting. I'm a firm believer in allow meat to rest
> before slicing or pulling. The best briskets that I have had were
> allowed to sit at least 12 hours!

Who said don't let it rest? I said you don't need
to leave it sitting overnight.

Second, we're cooks, not a chefs. Chef is French for
"boss", which is someone who by definition has
people working under them. The only one here that I
know of who could ever qualify for that is Bugg.

Chef is a pretentious term in this case, along with
being inaccurate.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article .com>,
"Brick" > wrote:

> > You could also probably use Vienna sausages for this?
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> No doubt could Om and speaking of which, that would constitute no
> frig long life trail rations wouldn't it. I doubt it would be an
> improvement
> tastewise. In the situation described, speed was the main issue. Storage
> life and or portability had nothing to do with it.

I understand. :-) Many ways to make quick and tasty meals. I've not
had beanie weinies in years but they hold fond memories from childhood.

> In later years I have improved on Campbells recipe by carefull attention
> to detail, but I can't beat the price by much if any. I use good fatback,
> brown sugar, mollasses and a tich of real Vermont maple syrup. Home
> made is definitely not quick.

Never have made boston baked beans from scratch. I look forward to
finally getting my weight down to where I want it as there are many
foods I miss and intend to consume very moderately again. Beans being
one of them.

I do love beans. :-(
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article
Cam > wrote:

> I don't own
> liquid smoke, if I want BBQ taste without firing up the pit I add
> frozen pulled pork.
>
> Cam

I do own liquid smoke, but those two little bottles will probably last
me the rest of my life. <g> If I want a smokey flavor and don't have
any home smoked meat on hand (and don't have time or desire to fire up
the pit), I use bacon or real bacon bits.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Nonny! And the experiment? ViLco Barbecue 3 30-03-2010 10:36 AM
Gone Picking ~patches~ General Cooking 0 27-09-2005 06:59 PM
Slack Dough Baking Bob Sourdough 10 17-11-2003 01:55 AM