Gus

Default Sleeping Dogs.

Howdy Folks..

Got a simple question here that may have a simple or a complicated answer...

Had me an uncle back a while ago who was an super bakery guy... none of his
genes are in my bod. I would like to use the smoker (with or without a lot
of smoke) to "bake" some things like biscuits, etc.

Anyone here have a good handle on how to proceed on that?

(I make some dealies called "sleeping dogs" in the oven and they have
biscuits as a part, but I would really like to do them in the smoker if
possible)

Best to all,
Gus Kilthau
Houston, Texas

GmagicB

"Gus" > wrote in message
> Howdy Folks..
>
> Got a simple question here that may have a simple or a complicated

answer...

> Had me an uncle back a while ago who was an super bakery guy... none of

his
> genes are in my bod. I would like to use the smoker (with or without a

lot
> of smoke) to "bake" some things like biscuits, etc.
>
> Anyone here have a good handle on how to proceed on that?
>
> (I make some dealies called "sleeping dogs" in the oven and they have
> biscuits as a part, but I would really like to do them in the smoker if
> possible)
>
> Best to all,
> Gus Kilthau
> Houston, Texas

Gus -

A couple of years back I was on safari in Kenya. We had fresh bread every
morning and at dinner every night cooked in an "oven," on a wood fire. The
thing was essentially a sturdy metal box with racks on it, that was placed
on the coals and heated to what must have been hot enough to bake. As I
recall it was vented at the top, with an adjestable vent, but truth be told,
I'm hazy on the details.

Now, this was on an open fire pit on the ground, so the space issue didn't
really enter into the picture. It might take a bit of redesigning to come up
with something that would fit into a Klose or a Weber or whatever rig you're
cooking with, but I'm sure it could be done and would work pretty well.

In any event, the camp cook worked miracles with it and the bread didn't
taste the least bit smoky.

Best,
George

Louis Cohen

I make great artisan breads and pizza in my Kamado ceramic; it works just
like a wood-fired brick bread oven. Or a tandoor.

First, you need to be able to get your pit up to the appropriate temp for
your baking. For artisan breads and thin crust pizza, this is 500-600°;
conventional breads are often baked around 375°, I think.

Many breads and pizza benefit from cooking on a pizza/baking stone. Get
good thick ones, at least 1" - look on-line or at restaurant supply stores.
Many kitchen stores (and web sites) sell really thin ones which are better
than nothing but not great. Many people use unglazed quarry tiles from Home
Depot or a tile store. Depending on the type of pit you have, you might
want to use more than 1 - one for a heat diffuser so that you get nice even
heat around the bread and one to put the bread on for a nice crust.

www.theartisan.net is a great website for artisan bread baking; if that's
the kind of bread you like. Try to adapt their suggestions for oven baking
to your pit.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Gus" > wrote in message
> Howdy Folks..
>
> Got a simple question here that may have a simple or a complicated

answer...

> Had me an uncle back a while ago who was an super bakery guy... none of

his
> genes are in my bod. I would like to use the smoker (with or without a

lot
> of smoke) to "bake" some things like biscuits, etc.
>
> Anyone here have a good handle on how to proceed on that?
>
> (I make some dealies called "sleeping dogs" in the oven and they have
> biscuits as a part, but I would really like to do them in the smoker if
> possible)
>
> Best to all,
> Gus Kilthau
> Houston, Texas

GmagicB

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> I make great artisan breads and pizza in my Kamado ceramic; it works just
> like a wood-fired brick bread oven. Or a tandoor.
>
> First, you need to be able to get your pit up to the appropriate temp for
> your baking. For artisan breads and thin crust pizza, this is 500-600°;
> conventional breads are often baked around 375°, I think.
>
> Many breads and pizza benefit from cooking on a pizza/baking stone. Get
> good thick ones, at least 1" - look on-line or at restaurant supply

stores.
> Many kitchen stores (and web sites) sell really thin ones which are

better
> than nothing but not great. Many people use unglazed quarry tiles from

> Depot or a tile store. Depending on the type of pit you have, you might
> want to use more than 1 - one for a heat diffuser so that you get nice

even
> heat around the bread and one to put the bread on for a nice crust.
>
> www.theartisan.net is a great website for artisan bread baking; if that's
> the kind of bread you like. Try to adapt their suggestions for oven

baking
> to your pit.

Louis - Which size K do you have?

Thanks,
George

Gus

"GmagicB" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Gus" > wrote in message
> > Howdy Folks..
> >
> > Got a simple question here that may have a simple or a complicated

> answer...
> >
> > Had me an uncle back a while ago who was an super bakery guy... none of

> his
> > genes are in my bod. I would like to use the smoker (with or without a

> lot
> > of smoke) to "bake" some things like biscuits, etc.
> >
> > Anyone here have a good handle on how to proceed on that?
> >
> > (I make some dealies called "sleeping dogs" in the oven and they have
> > biscuits as a part, but I would really like to do them in the smoker if
> > possible)
> >
> > Best to all,
> > Gus Kilthau
> > Houston, Texas
> >

> Gus -
>
> A couple of years back I was on safari in Kenya. We had fresh bread every
> morning and at dinner every night cooked in an "oven," on a wood fire. The
> thing was essentially a sturdy metal box with racks on it, that was placed
> on the coals and heated to what must have been hot enough to bake. As I
> recall it was vented at the top, with an adjestable vent, but truth be

told,
> I'm hazy on the details.
>
> Now, this was on an open fire pit on the ground, so the space issue didn't
> really enter into the picture. It might take a bit of redesigning to come

up
> with something that would fit into a Klose or a Weber or whatever rig

you're
> cooking with, but I'm sure it could be done and would work pretty well.
>
> In any event, the camp cook worked miracles with it and the bread didn't
> taste the least bit smoky.
>
> Best,
>George

Thank you, George...

I have a New Braunfels dealie, with the firebox off to the side. Can
certainly get it hot without too much smoke, but a little smoke taste in
these things would not hurt any at all, so tell my darn near worn out taste
thingies...

I guess that if I were to try to get the temp up to what the inside kitchen
oven wants, it would probably do OK, but others have told me that trying to
"bake" in the smoker simply won't work. I guess that it is worth a try.
All that can happen is that it turns out bad-tasting baked dough, but I'd
bet the birds and the squirrels out here would not mind that very much.

Thanks ... and maybe I should look back in Teddy Roosevelt's old book,
African Game Trails, to see what he and his nephew, Kermit, cooked up on the
trail... somewhat like you did.

Best to all,
Gus Kilthau
Houston, Texas

Gus

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> I make great artisan breads and pizza in my Kamado ceramic; it works just
> like a wood-fired brick bread oven. Or a tandoor.
>
> First, you need to be able to get your pit up to the appropriate temp for
> your baking. For artisan breads and thin crust pizza, this is 500-600°;
> conventional breads are often baked around 375°, I think.
>
> Many breads and pizza benefit from cooking on a pizza/baking stone. Get
> good thick ones, at least 1" - look on-line or at restaurant supply

stores.
> Many kitchen stores (and web sites) sell really thin ones which are

better
> than nothing but not great. Many people use unglazed quarry tiles from

> Depot or a tile store. Depending on the type of pit you have, you might
> want to use more than 1 - one for a heat diffuser so that you get nice

even
> heat around the bread and one to put the bread on for a nice crust.
>
> www.theartisan.net is a great website for artisan bread baking; if that's
> the kind of bread you like. Try to adapt their suggestions for oven

baking
> to your pit.

> ----
> Louis Cohen
> Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"
>

> "Gus" > wrote in message
> > Howdy Folks..
> >
> > Got a simple question here that may have a simple or a complicated

> answer...
> >
> > Had me an uncle back a while ago who was an super bakery guy... none of

> his
> > genes are in my bod. I would like to use the smoker (with or without a

> lot
> > of smoke) to "bake" some things like biscuits, etc.
> >
> > Anyone here have a good handle on how to proceed on that?
> >
> > (I make some dealies called "sleeping dogs" in the oven and they have
> > biscuits as a part, but I would really like to do them in the smoker if
> > possible)
> >
> > Best to all,
> > Gus Kilthau
> > Houston, Texas
> >

> ================================================== =

Thank you Louis...

Problem is that this not just plain bread. It has bunches of stuff inside
of the dough envelope, like ground beef, sausage, pickles, onions, BBQ
sauce, cheese, etc. Maybe 350-400 degrees would do OK, but over that I
guess there might be problems.

Anyway, I appreciated your note, as will many others here.

Best,
Gus Kilthau
Houston, Texas

BOB

Louis Cohen wrote:
> I make great artisan breads and pizza in my Kamado ceramic; it works just
> like a wood-fired brick bread oven. Or a tandoor.
>
> First, you need to be able to get your pit up to the appropriate temp for
> your baking. For artisan breads and thin crust pizza, this is 500-600°;
> conventional breads are often baked around 375°, I think.
>
> Many breads and pizza benefit from cooking on a pizza/baking stone. Get
> good thick ones, at least 1" - look on-line or at restaurant supply stores.
> Many kitchen stores (and web sites) sell really thin ones which are better
> than nothing but not great. Many people use unglazed quarry tiles from Home
> Depot or a tile store. Depending on the type of pit you have, you might
> want to use more than 1 - one for a heat diffuser so that you get nice even
> heat around the bread and one to put the bread on for a nice crust.
>
> www.theartisan.net is a great website for artisan bread baking; if that's
> the kind of bread you like. Try to adapt their suggestions for oven baking
> to your pit.

> ----
> Louis Cohen
> Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

Adding one thing to (top posted) Louis' post...MOISTURE! Bread needs an amount
(varies with different types of bread) of moisture in the heated air. Kamados
and other ceramics are great, not so sure about 'many' of the metal cookers. If
raw wood is the fuel, there might be issues with the bread absorbing too much
smoke.

BOB
just finished baking a loaf of "plain white" last night in the baby K

JeWayne Nuttingbutter Houndog

"Gus" > wrote in message
> (I make some dealies called "sleeping dogs" in the oven and they have
> biscuits as a part, but I would really like to do them in the smoker if
> possible)

I believe the trick is to give them time. Haven't you heard, you've got to
"let sleeping dogs lie" ....?

/s
....running and ducking..

Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 16:38:45 GMT, "JeWayne Nuttingbutter Houndog"
> wrote:

>Haven't you heard, you've got to
>"let sleeping dogs lie" ....?

I believe the expression is "Let dead dogs lie."

Another one I like is "We'll burn that bridge when we get to it."

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Gus

" BOB" > wrote in message
. ..
> Louis Cohen wrote:
> > I make great artisan breads and pizza in my Kamado ceramic; it works

just
> > like a wood-fired brick bread oven. Or a tandoor.
> >
> > First, you need to be able to get your pit up to the appropriate temp

for
> > your baking. For artisan breads and thin crust pizza, this is 500-600°;
> > conventional breads are often baked around 375°, I think.
> >
> > Many breads and pizza benefit from cooking on a pizza/baking stone. Get
> > good thick ones, at least 1" - look on-line or at restaurant supply

stores.
> > Many kitchen stores (and web sites) sell really thin ones which are

better
> > than nothing but not great. Many people use unglazed quarry tiles from

> > Depot or a tile store. Depending on the type of pit you have, you might
> > want to use more than 1 - one for a heat diffuser so that you get nice

even
> > heat around the bread and one to put the bread on for a nice crust.
> >
> > www.theartisan.net is a great website for artisan bread baking; if

that's
> > the kind of bread you like. Try to adapt their suggestions for oven

baking
> > to your pit.
> >
> > --

> > ----
> > Louis Cohen
> > Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

> Adding one thing to (top posted) Louis' post...MOISTURE! Bread needs an

amount
> (varies with different types of bread) of moisture in the heated air.

Kamados
> and other ceramics are great, not so sure about 'many' of the metal

cookers. If
> raw wood is the fuel, there might be issues with the bread absorbing too

much
> smoke.
>
> BOB
> just finished baking a loaf of "plain white" last night in the baby K

Thanks.

Well, I guess it won't hurt to try things out in the smoker... and as was
amply noted above, without a lot of smoke. Not being any kind of baker,
I'll start off with some of that "bisquick" stuff and see how it works
out... My friends tell me that bread doesn't come out of a smoker alive,
but I have seen tons of photos of folks in Italy and elsewhere making bread
in these big wood-fired ovens. What works for them should work for us, too,
right?

;-)
Gus Kilthau
Houston, Texas

Gus

"JeWayne Nuttingbutter Houndog" > wrote in
message newscV8d.646054$gE.635611@pd7tw3no...

> "Gus" > wrote in message
> > (I make some dealies called "sleeping dogs" in the oven and they have
> > biscuits as a part, but I would really like to do them in the smoker if
> > possible)

> I believe the trick is to give them time. Haven't you heard, you've got to
> "let sleeping dogs lie" ....?
>
> /s
> ...running and ducking..

Right on... but they taste too good and don't get to lie around for very
long. (G)
Best to you and all,
Gus Kilthau
Houston, Texas

Never got a chance to try this, but a friend of mine came up with it
and swore it worked like a charm. He had an offset smoker (cheap
walmart dealie) and on one side of it, he took out the firegrate, put
down a layer of "firebrick" as he called it, put down another layer on
top of that, using as many as it took to fit from back to front (I
believe he said five, three longways, and two sideways in front of
them.) This should leave a slight gap at the back where the bottom of
the brick touched but the top did not. He then built up 3 or 4 layers
of brick up the side (enough to go about 9 to 12 inches) then a grate
on top covered with bricks. He said he would build a fire inside on the
bricks, let it burn with the lid down for about 30 minutes, then sweep
the coals and ashes into the crack and lay down the dough or pizza to
be cooked. He said he would use another brick in the center with the
fire around it to hold a dutch oven for baking biscuits or baked beans,
anything that needed a pan.

Like I said, I never got to try this out, so don't know if it would
work. the basic idea seems sound, may just take a little fiddling to
work. If you try, let me know.

BTW, He came up with this in a 3 day snowstorm. Taught him to have
electric heat and an electric stove.

Jon

Go Falcons! 4-0

patriarch

"Gus" > wrote in
:

<snip>
> My friends tell me that bread doesn't come out of a
> smoker alive, but I have seen tons of photos of folks in Italy and
> elsewhere making bread in these big wood-fired ovens. What works for
> them should work for us, too, right?

Well, yeah, but "low and slow" was never a good recipe for any bread I've
baked or enjoyed...

Refer back to the post from the fellow who bakes in his Kamado ceramic
cooker. That's much closer to the wood-fired bread ovens used in Europe.

Patriarch
Gus

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Never got a chance to try this, but a friend of mine came up with it
> and swore it worked like a charm. He had an offset smoker (cheap
> walmart dealie) and on one side of it, he took out the firegrate, put
> down a layer of "firebrick" as he called it, put down another layer on
> top of that, using as many as it took to fit from back to front (I
> believe he said five, three longways, and two sideways in front of
> them.) This should leave a slight gap at the back where the bottom of
> the brick touched but the top did not. He then built up 3 or 4 layers
> of brick up the side (enough to go about 9 to 12 inches) then a grate
> on top covered with bricks. He said he would build a fire inside on the
> bricks, let it burn with the lid down for about 30 minutes, then sweep
> the coals and ashes into the crack and lay down the dough or pizza to
> be cooked. He said he would use another brick in the center with the
> fire around it to hold a dutch oven for baking biscuits or baked beans,
> anything that needed a pan.
>
> Like I said, I never got to try this out, so don't know if it would
> work. the basic idea seems sound, may just take a little fiddling to
> work. If you try, let me know.
>
> BTW, He came up with this in a 3 day snowstorm. Taught him to have
> electric heat and an electric stove.
>
> Jon
>
> Go Falcons! 4-0

Jon...
Seems like it might well be worth trying...

Best to all,
Gus Kilthau,
Houston, Texas

Gus

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Never got a chance to try this, but a friend of mine came up with it
> and swore it worked like a charm. He had an offset smoker (cheap
> walmart dealie) and on one side of it, he took out the firegrate, put
> down a layer of "firebrick" as he called it, put down another layer on
> top of that, using as many as it took to fit from back to front (I
> believe he said five, three longways, and two sideways in front of
> them.) This should leave a slight gap at the back where the bottom of
> the brick touched but the top did not. He then built up 3 or 4 layers
> of brick up the side (enough to go about 9 to 12 inches) then a grate
> on top covered with bricks. He said he would build a fire inside on the
> bricks, let it burn with the lid down for about 30 minutes, then sweep
> the coals and ashes into the crack and lay down the dough or pizza to
> be cooked. He said he would use another brick in the center with the
> fire around it to hold a dutch oven for baking biscuits or baked beans,
> anything that needed a pan.
>
> Like I said, I never got to try this out, so don't know if it would
> work. the basic idea seems sound, may just take a little fiddling to
> work. If you try, let me know.
>
> BTW, He came up with this in a 3 day snowstorm. Taught him to have
> electric heat and an electric stove.
>
> Jon
>
> Go Falcons! 4-0

Jon...
Seems like it might well be worth trying...

Best to all,
Gus Kilthau,
Houston, Texas

patriarch

"Gus" > wrote in :

> > wrote in message

<snip>
>> put
>> down a layer of "firebrick" as he called it, put down another layer on
>> top of that, using as many as it took to fit from back to front (I
>> believe he said five, three longways, and two sideways in front of
>> them.) This should leave a slight gap at the back where the bottom of
>> the brick touched but the top did not. He then built up 3 or 4 layers
>> of brick up the side (enough to go about 9 to 12 inches) then a grate
>> on top covered with bricks. He said he would build a fire inside on the
>> bricks, let it burn with the lid down for about 30 minutes, then sweep
>> the coals and ashes into the crack and lay down the dough or pizza to
>> be cooked.

Six or eight years ago, I did a lot of baking as a hobby. One of the
tricks I used with my "nothing special, contractor-grade, tract-house
electric oven" was to put a layer of firebrick on the bottom. It acts as a
heat sink, thermal mass, and helps even out the temperature swings in
baking bread. And when you squirt them with water, to add steam to help
the bread crust, you don't care if they break.

I don't think the masonry yard even charged me for the brick. Of course,
they remembered the orders for the rock, the pavers, the sand, the cement,
the capstones, etc.....YMMV. But even if you pay for them, ther are really
cheap.

Patriarch
Tyler Hopper

"Gus" > wrote in message
> Thanks.
>
> Well, I guess it won't hurt to try things out in the smoker... and as was
> amply noted above, without a lot of smoke. Not being any kind of baker,
> I'll start off with some of that "bisquick" stuff and see how it works
> out... My friends tell me that bread doesn't come out of a smoker alive,
> but I have seen tons of photos of folks in Italy and elsewhere making bread
> in these big wood-fired ovens. What works for them should work for us, too,
> right?

Many of those big wood fired ovens actually see very little wood or coals during
cooking. The fire is used to bring the massive things up to temp, and often the
coals are raked out except for a small pile.

Gus

"Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message

> "Gus" > wrote in message
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Well, I guess it won't hurt to try things out in the smoker... and as

was
> > amply noted above, without a lot of smoke. Not being any kind of baker,
> > I'll start off with some of that "bisquick" stuff and see how it works
> > out... My friends tell me that bread doesn't come out of a smoker

alive,
> > but I have seen tons of photos of folks in Italy and elsewhere making

bread
> > in these big wood-fired ovens. What works for them should work for us,

too,
> > right?

> Many of those big wood fired ovens actually see very little wood or coals

during
> cooking. The fire is used to bring the massive things up to temp, and

often the
> coals are raked out except for a small pile.

Tyler...

Thanks for the info. That makes sense. I am not sure that I want to stick
a bunch of heavy stones in my pit, but that might be worth thinking about...

Gus Kilthau
Houston, Texas

Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:22:01 -0500, "Gus" > wrote:

<snip 39 freakin' lines of quoted text>

> Seems like it might well be worth trying...

You quoted 39 lines of text for a one-line follow-up. You tendency to
do that sort of thing has been pointed out to you before. Are you
intentionally being annoying, or are you a slow learner?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr

cl

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:22:01 -0500, "Gus" > wrote:
>
> <snip 39 freakin' lines of quoted text>
>
> > Seems like it might well be worth trying...

> You quoted 39 lines of text for a one-line follow-up. You tendency to
> do that sort of thing has been pointed out to you before. Are you
> intentionally being annoying, or are you a slow learner?

No more annoying than your whining about people's post.

-CAL

BOB

cl wrote:
> "Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:22:01 -0500, "Gus" > wrote:
>>
>> <snip 39 freakin' lines of quoted text>
>>
>>> Seems like it might well be worth trying...

>> You quoted 39 lines of text for a one-line follow-up. You tendency to
>> do that sort of thing has been pointed out to you before. Are you
>> intentionally being annoying, or are you a slow learner?
>>

> No more annoying than your whining about people's post.
>
> -CAL

!

Kevin S. Wilson

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 20:45:47 GMT, "cl" > wrote:

>"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:22:01 -0500, "Gus" > wrote:
>>
>> <snip 39 freakin' lines of quoted text>
>>
>> > Seems like it might well be worth trying...

>> You quoted 39 lines of text for a one-line follow-up. You tendency to
>> do that sort of thing has been pointed out to you before. Are you
>> intentionally being annoying, or are you a slow learner?
>>

>No more annoying than your whining about people's post.

Somebody forcing you to read my posts, slick?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Brick

On 5-Oct-2004, "Louis Cohen" > wrote:

> I make great artisan breads and pizza in my Kamado ceramic; it works just
> like a wood-fired brick bread oven. Or a tandoor.
>
> First, you need to be able to get your pit up to the appropriate temp for
> your baking. For artisan breads and thin crust pizza, this is 500-600°;
> conventional breads are often baked around 375°, I think.
>
> Many breads and pizza benefit from cooking on a pizza/baking stone. Get
> good thick ones, at least 1" - look on-line or at restaurant supply stores.
> Many kitchen stores (and web sites) sell really thin ones which are better
> than nothing but not great. Many people use unglazed quarry tiles from Home
> Depot or a tile store. Depending on the type of pit you have, you might
> want to use more than 1 - one for a heat diffuser so that you get nice even
> heat around the bread and one to put the bread on for a nice crust.
>
> www.theartisan.net is a great website for artisan bread baking; if that's
> the kind of bread you like. Try to adapt their suggestions for oven baking
> to your pit.

> ----
> Louis Cohen
> Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"
>

> "Gus" > wrote in message
> > Howdy Folks..
> >
> > Got a simple question here that may have a simple or a complicated

> answer...
> >
> > Had me an uncle back a while ago who was an super bakery guy... none of

> his
> > genes are in my bod. I would like to use the smoker (with or without a

> lot
> > of smoke) to "bake" some things like biscuits, etc.
> >
> > Anyone here have a good handle on how to proceed on that?
> >
> > (I make some dealies called "sleeping dogs" in the oven and they have
> > biscuits as a part, but I would really like to do them in the smoker if
> > possible)
> >
> > Best to all,
> > Gus Kilthau
> > Houston, Texas

<didn;t know how to snip this one, so the hell with it.>

I have an 18" X 12" X 1/2" marble slab that was originally
sold as a cutting board. I don't use it in either of my pits,
but it works nicely for cooking pizza in the kitchen oven.
I'm still wishing I could make bread.
--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Brick

On 6-Oct-2004, "Gus" > wrote:

> "GmagicB" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> >
> > "Gus" > wrote in message
> > > Howdy Folks..

<snip a bunch>

> I have a New Braunfels dealie, with the firebox off to the side. Can
> certainly get it hot without too much smoke, but a little smoke taste in
> these things would not hurt any at all, so tell my darn near worn out taste
> thingies...
>
> I guess that if I were to try to get the temp up to what the inside kitchen
> oven wants, it would probably do OK, but others have told me that trying to
> "bake" in the smoker simply won't work. I guess that it is worth a try.
> All that can happen is that it turns out bad-tasting baked dough, but I'd
> bet the birds and the squirrels out here would not mind that very much.
>
> Thanks ... and maybe I should look back in Teddy Roosevelt's old book,
> African Game Trails, to see what he and his nephew, Kermit, cooked up on the
> trail... somewhat like you did.
>
> Best to all,
> Gus Kilthau
> Houston, Texas

Gus, when you jumped in here, you sounded like you knew everything.
If you want to bake in your NB offset, you need to build the fire in the
cook chamber on one side and bake on the other. 400° to 500° is no
problem. You'll have to tend the fire some 'cause that ain't no Kamado.
Build the fire on the bottom level and leave the top grate on the left side
out so you can get at it. I can't guide you on how much fire to build or
how to set the vents. There's just too much fingertip touch involved
there. Maybe Dana can add something here. Oh yeh, the powder coat
on the outside of your cooker isn't going to like it. Mine didn't.

--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Kevin S. Wilson

Then he wrote:

>what in the world is that
>"Kibologist" that Kevin insists on each posting?

Make up your mind. Either you know what a .sig is or your don't.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Gus

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 18:32:32 -0500, "Gus" > wrote:
>
> >Gus is a slow learner. He didn't even know how to "snip" 4 lines of your
> >signature block, even though he hasn't the foggiest notion of what is a
> >"Kibologist,"

> Then he wrote:
>
> >what in the world is that
> >"Kibologist" that Kevin insists on each posting?

> Make up your mind. Either you know what a .sig is or your don't.
>
> --
> Kevin S. Wilson
> Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
> "When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
> useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J.

Furr

Kevin...
"Or YOUR don't"

J. Furr would not be happy with that!

Best to you and all,
Gus Kiothau
Houston, Texas

Gus

"cl" > wrote in message

> "Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 18:32:32 -0500, "Gus" > wrote:
> >
> > >Gus is a slow learner. He didn't even know how to "snip" 4 lines of

your
> > >signature block, even though he hasn't the foggiest notion of what is a
> > >"Kibologist,"

> > Then he wrote:
> >
> > >what in the world is that
> > >"Kibologist" that Kevin insists on each posting?

> > Make up your mind. Either you know what a .sig is or your don't.

> CAL thinks Kevin needs to reread the first of his clippings.CAL reads the
> first one as saying Gus doesn't know what a Kibologist is but appears to
> know what a sig is.
>
> CAL thinks Kevin likes Gus
>

> -CAL

Hi Cal...

Gus hopes that may not be so. (smiling when writing!)
Best to you and all,
Gus Kilthau
Houston, Texas