FoodBanter.com

-   -   Canadians Won't Be Able To Buy Pork Butts In The New Year (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/34843-canadians-wont-able-buy.html)

Dan Overes 13-09-2004 05:56 PM

Canadians Won't Be Able To Buy Pork Butts In The New Year

<http://www.thepigsite.com/LatestNews/Default.asp?AREA=LatestNews&Display=7972>

Starting January 1, 2005 we Canadians will be changing the name of "pork
butt" to "shoulder blade". Apparently the same people who don't
understand the difference between BBQ and grilling also don't understand
that a butt does not come from the rear end of the pig.

"Shoulder blade" doesn't have the same ring to it, so against my
government's wishes, I will continue to cook pork butts long after the
end of this year. You would think they would be working to minimize the
region differences in meat naming rather than adding more confusion --
now we Canadians will really have no idea what you Americans are talking
about when it comes to meat cuts.

<sigh>

[email protected] 13-09-2004 07:47 PM

Dan Overes wrote:

<http://www.thepigsite.com/LatestNews/Default.asp?AREA=LatestNews&Display=7972>

> Starting January 1, 2005 we Canadians will be changing the name of

"pork
> butt" to "shoulder blade". Apparently the same people who don't
> understand the difference between BBQ and grilling also don't

understand
> that a butt does not come from the rear end of the pig.

Wow, I better stock up before the New Year, I'm gonna miss cooking up
butts.

Cam

[email protected] 13-09-2004 07:47 PM

John O 13-09-2004 08:08 PM

> > Wow, I better stock up before the New Year, I'm gonna miss cooking up
> butts.

And the next thing you know, you'll be crossing the border to get them. Then
only outlaws will have butts, eh?

-John O
Butt Border Guard

John O 13-09-2004 08:08 PM

> > Wow, I better stock up before the New Year, I'm gonna miss cooking up
> butts.

And the next thing you know, you'll be crossing the border to get them. Then
only outlaws will have butts, eh?

-John O
Butt Border Guard

14-09-2004 03:10 AM

In article >, says...
> <http://www.thepigsite.com/LatestNews/Default.asp?AREA=LatestNews&Display=7972>
>
> Starting January 1, 2005 we Canadians will be changing the name of "pork
> butt" to "shoulder blade". Apparently the same people who don't
> understand the difference between BBQ and grilling also don't understand
> that a butt does not come from the rear end of the pig.
>
> "Shoulder blade" doesn't have the same ring to it, so against my
> government's wishes, I will continue to cook pork butts long after the
> end of this year. You would think they would be working to minimize the
> region differences in meat naming rather than adding more confusion --
> now we Canadians will really have no idea what you Americans are talking
> about when it comes to meat cuts.
>
> <sigh>

So what's new?

Maybe you could start a National Slogan Campaign. "Get Your
Butt Out of Canada!" has a nice ring to it.

What might the Quebecois French translation for that be?

All sorts of possibilities for misunderstandings here...

14-09-2004 03:10 AM

In article >, says...

BKahuna 14-09-2004 03:15 PM

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:10:19 -0400, > wrote:

>In article >, says...
>> <http://www.thepigsite.com/LatestNews/Default.asp?AREA=LatestNews&Display=7972>
>>
>> Starting January 1, 2005 we Canadians will be changing the name of "pork
>> butt" to "shoulder blade". Apparently the same people who don't
>> understand the difference between BBQ and grilling also don't understand
>> that a butt does not come from the rear end of the pig.
>>
>> "Shoulder blade" doesn't have the same ring to it, so against my
>> government's wishes, I will continue to cook pork butts long after the
>> end of this year. You would think they would be working to minimize the
>> region differences in meat naming rather than adding more confusion --
>> now we Canadians will really have no idea what you Americans are talking
>> about when it comes to meat cuts.
>>
>> <sigh>

A new survey will soon be released wherein 70% of Canadians will blame
George Bush for the change.

Bubba Unix Dude 14-09-2004 05:43 PM

> A new survey will soon be released wherein 70% of Canadians will blame
> George Bush for the change.

too funny!

Bubba Unix Dude 14-09-2004 05:43 PM

> A new survey will soon be released wherein 70% of Canadians will blame
> George Bush for the change.

too funny!

Patrik Henriksson 14-09-2004 10:34 PM

> wrote in message
> Maybe you could start a National Slogan Campaign. "Get Your
> Butt Out of Canada!" has a nice ring to it.

How about "hands off my butt" ?
--

-----
Patrik 'Putte' Henriksson