Ch

Default Smoking with Sawdust

a friend of mine gave me some sawdust to smoke with.
he bought it froma local German meet market for smoking. He likes the taste.
has no idea what it is. he hasd to buy a 50lb bag.
how does one smoke with sawdust? wet it and ball it up...?
thanks

Louis Cohen

I think sawdust is used mainly for cold-smoking. For hot-smoking, you might
try wetting it and wrapping it in foil.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Ch" > wrote in message
> a friend of mine gave me some sawdust to smoke with.
> he bought it froma local German meet market for smoking. He likes the

taste.
> has no idea what it is. he hasd to buy a 50lb bag.
> how does one smoke with sawdust? wet it and ball it up...?
> thanks

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ch" > wrote in message
> a friend of mine gave me some sawdust to smoke with.
> he bought it froma local German meet market for smoking. He likes the

taste.
> has no idea what it is. he hasd to buy a 50lb bag.
> how does one smoke with sawdust? wet it and ball it up...?
> thanks

Hickory sawdust is sold that way. Most meat processors use it for curing
bacon, hams, etc. Most often it is put in a pan and atop a hotplate.

Problem with sawdust for smoke cooking is that it burns up so easily. Put
some in a tuna fish can, cover it with foil and poke a few holes in it. If
it burns up too fast, dampen it a bit the next time.

Or do some curing and cold smoking! There are some pictures of smoking
sausages on my web page.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ch" > wrote in message
> a friend of mine gave me some sawdust to smoke with.
> he bought it froma local German meet market for smoking. He likes the

taste.
> has no idea what it is. he hasd to buy a 50lb bag.
> how does one smoke with sawdust? wet it and ball it up...?
> thanks

Hickory sawdust is sold that way. Most meat processors use it for curing
bacon, hams, etc. Most often it is put in a pan and atop a hotplate.

Problem with sawdust for smoke cooking is that it burns up so easily. Put
some in a tuna fish can, cover it with foil and poke a few holes in it. If
it burns up too fast, dampen it a bit the next time.

Or do some curing and cold smoking! There are some pictures of smoking
sausages on my web page.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Graeme...in London

"Ch" > wrote in message
> a friend of mine gave me some sawdust to smoke with.
> he bought it froma local German meet market for smoking. He likes the

taste.
> has no idea what it is. he hasd to buy a 50lb bag.
> how does one smoke with sawdust? wet it and ball it up...?
> thanks

CH

I have used sawdust with pretty good results, however the sawdust I used
came from the aftermath after using a chainsaw and wasn't technically dust,
but more like small shavings.

I wrapped around 3 handfuls per batch in foil, pricked a few times, and
added them to the fire when needed. They burned for 15 minutes or so then I
had to add another, and another, and another.

If the sawdust you have is dust/fine shavings, wetting and wrapping it in a
ball sounds feasible and it may do the trick.

Graeme

Graeme...in London

"Ch" > wrote in message
> a friend of mine gave me some sawdust to smoke with.
> he bought it froma local German meet market for smoking. He likes the

taste.
> has no idea what it is. he hasd to buy a 50lb bag.
> how does one smoke with sawdust? wet it and ball it up...?
> thanks

CH

I have used sawdust with pretty good results, however the sawdust I used
came from the aftermath after using a chainsaw and wasn't technically dust,
but more like small shavings.

I wrapped around 3 handfuls per batch in foil, pricked a few times, and
added them to the fire when needed. They burned for 15 minutes or so then I
had to add another, and another, and another.

If the sawdust you have is dust/fine shavings, wetting and wrapping it in a
ball sounds feasible and it may do the trick.

Graeme

Edwin Pawlowski

"mtbchip" > wrote in message
> Chainsaw=chainlube............
>
> Thatıs part of the unique flavor.
>
> No thanks

There are vegetable base chain lubes that leave no after residue or off
flavors. I've used chainsaw dust many times and will continue to do so. At
about an ounce per hundred pounds I'm not concerned.

Edwin Pawlowski

"mtbchip" > wrote in message
> Chainsaw=chainlube............
>
> Thatıs part of the unique flavor.
>
> No thanks

There are vegetable base chain lubes that leave no after residue or off
flavors. I've used chainsaw dust many times and will continue to do so. At
about an ounce per hundred pounds I'm not concerned.

Sawdust Pie Matt Albright Recipes (moderated) 0 02-04-2004 01:41 AM
Sawdust Pie (2) Collection Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 02-04-2004 01:38 AM
Storing Lemons in sawdust? Paul General Cooking 1 22-12-2003 12:00 AM
Storing Wine Sawdust? Paul Wine 1 21-12-2003 02:56 PM
Sawdust on floor Stan (the Man) Barbecue 6 17-10-2003 04:23 PM