MW

Default Planning WSM Cookout Questions

Ordered the WSM and can't wait to use.

I will have an initial practice run with a pork butt when I get it,
but I do plan to have a gathering that will require smoking of a butt,
brisket and some venison loin (unless I'm convinced otherwise).

I'm in Orange County, CA. Is there anyplace that I can get brisket
for a reasonable price? Everything is so yuppy around here that I may
as well be asking for filet mignon. Is $3.99/lb the going rate? I'd
like an 8-10 pounder.

On the barbecue sauce, I'd like to make some. Anyone have a recipe
that includes whiskey? I hear coffee in sauce can taste good.
There'd be extra point if I could get a good tasting recipe that has
both coffee and whiskey. Speaking of whiskey, does Irish whiskey work
with Q sauce or does it have to be Jack Daniels or the like?

Any recommendations for a dry rub that will suit all three meats?

On the venison, I understand it's pretty dry and may not be suitable
for smoking. I've seen different tips on injecting with butter or
wrapping with bacon. Any tips on that?

Thanks,
Matt

I buy mine at Smart and Final. Plenty near you try
http://www.smartandfinal.com/store_l...a&store_type=1
I live in The San Diego Region but work in Orange County. Really I know what
you mean.

e-

"MW" > wrote in message
om...
> Ordered the WSM and can't wait to use.
>
> I will have an initial practice run with a pork butt when I get it,
> but I do plan to have a gathering that will require smoking of a butt,
> brisket and some venison loin (unless I'm convinced otherwise).
>
> I'm in Orange County, CA. Is there anyplace that I can get brisket
> for a reasonable price? Everything is so yuppy around here that I may
> as well be asking for filet mignon. Is $3.99/lb the going rate? I'd
> like an 8-10 pounder.
>
> On the barbecue sauce, I'd like to make some. Anyone have a recipe
> that includes whiskey? I hear coffee in sauce can taste good.
> There'd be extra point if I could get a good tasting recipe that has
> both coffee and whiskey. Speaking of whiskey, does Irish whiskey work
> with Q sauce or does it have to be Jack Daniels or the like?
>
> Any recommendations for a dry rub that will suit all three meats?
>
> On the venison, I understand it's pretty dry and may not be suitable
> for smoking. I've seen different tips on injecting with butter or
> wrapping with bacon. Any tips on that?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

M&M

On 17-Aug-2004, (MW) wrote:

> Ordered the WSM and can't wait to use.

Wishing you luck with your new WSM

> I will have an initial practice run with a pork butt when I get it,
> but I do plan to have a gathering that will require smoking of a butt,
> brisket and some venison loin (unless I'm convinced otherwise).

Wouldn't try to convince you otherwise. Sounds like a plan

> I'm in Orange County, CA. Is there anyplace that I can get brisket
> for a reasonable price? Everything is so yuppy around here that I may
> as well be asking for filet mignon. Is $3.99/lb the going rate? I'd
> like an 8-10 pounder.

Wally World here in Tampa sells packer cut brisket for $1.47 most of
the time

> On the barbecue sauce, I'd like to make some. Anyone have a recipe
> that includes whiskey?

Paul Kirk's 'Championship Barbecue', Harvard Common Press, contains
two recipies for sauce using Jack Daniels and one using generic bourbon.
They use about 2 tbsp in four or five cups of sauce. One recipe uses a
quarter cup in about seven cups of sauce. All of the recipes are pretty
lengthy.

I hear coffee in sauce can taste good.
> There'd be extra point if I could get a good tasting recipe that has
> both coffee and whiskey. Speaking of whiskey, does Irish whiskey work
> with Q sauce or does it have to be Jack Daniels or the like?
>
> Any recommendations for a dry rub that will suit all three meats?

Can't go wrong with S&P. Many spices such as garlic and onion
powder tend to burn. I use them anyway, but suggest caution

> On the venison, I understand it's pretty dry and may not be suitable
> for smoking. I've seen different tips on injecting with butter or
> wrapping with bacon. Any tips on that?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Just my 2¢.
--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

Randy

I get briskets at Albertsons and butts at Sam's Club. -RP

Red Hook

> I'm in Orange County, CA. Is there anyplace that I can get brisket
> for a reasonable price?

I second the Smart and Final. They have Farmer John brisket and butts,
minimally processed, big and cheap.

> On the barbecue sauce, I'd like to make some. Anyone have a recipe
> that includes whiskey? I hear coffee in sauce can taste good.
> There'd be extra point if I could get a good tasting recipe that has
> both coffee and whiskey. Speaking of whiskey, does Irish whiskey work
> with Q sauce or does it have to be Jack Daniels or the like?

Here's the Jamison's recipe for Bourbon Molasses sauce:

http://southernfood.about.com/librar...0/bl00227d.htm

This is a pretty good sauce, but I don't know how coffee would work in
this one. Bourbon cooks off to be pretty sweet, so the coffee might
contrast too much. Only one way to find out- be sure and let us know
how it goes.

> Any recommendations for a dry rub that will suit all three meats?

Salt, pepper, chili, brown sugar, in whichever proportions you choose.
Slapping on some CYM first can't hurt, either.

> On the venison, I understand it's pretty dry and may not be suitable
> for smoking. I've seen different tips on injecting with butter or
> wrapping with bacon. Any tips on that?

I'd personally skip the venison smoking and grill it after soaking it in
buttermilk for a few hours. Add a few chips of wood to the coals if you
really want the smoke taste.

> Thanks,
> Matt

Good luck!

Red Hook
Red Hook

> I'm in Orange County, CA. Is there anyplace that I can get brisket
> for a reasonable price?

I second the Smart and Final. They have Farmer John brisket and butts,
minimally processed, big and cheap.

> On the barbecue sauce, I'd like to make some. Anyone have a recipe
> that includes whiskey? I hear coffee in sauce can taste good.
> There'd be extra point if I could get a good tasting recipe that has
> both coffee and whiskey. Speaking of whiskey, does Irish whiskey work
> with Q sauce or does it have to be Jack Daniels or the like?

Here's the Jamison's recipe for Bourbon Molasses sauce:

http://southernfood.about.com/librar...0/bl00227d.htm

This is a pretty good sauce, but I don't know how coffee would work in
this one. Bourbon cooks off to be pretty sweet, so the coffee might
contrast too much. Only one way to find out- be sure and let us know
how it goes.

> Any recommendations for a dry rub that will suit all three meats?

Salt, pepper, chili, brown sugar, in whichever proportions you choose.
Slapping on some CYM first can't hurt, either.

> On the venison, I understand it's pretty dry and may not be suitable
> for smoking. I've seen different tips on injecting with butter or
> wrapping with bacon. Any tips on that?

I'd personally skip the venison smoking and grill it after soaking it in
buttermilk for a few hours. Add a few chips of wood to the coals if you
really want the smoke taste.

> Thanks,
> Matt

Good luck!