Stan (the Man)

Default Coffee rub?

The other day, someone posted about using ground coffee as a steak rub
(sorry, I can't remember who). IIRC, they said they used the coffee,
garlic powder, salt and pepper. Anyone know the ratio? I bought a whole
6-lb beef tenderloin that I intend to cut into filet mignons and grill,
and, at $8.29 a pound, I don't fancy ruining them.

Thanks.

--
Stan

Bill T

"Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
et...
> The other day, someone posted about using ground coffee as a steak rub
> (sorry, I can't remember who). IIRC, they said they used the coffee,
> garlic powder, salt and pepper. Anyone know the ratio? I bought a whole
> 6-lb beef tenderloin that I intend to cut into filet mignons and grill,
> and, at $8.29 a pound, I don't fancy ruining them.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Stan

Just use salt, pepper, and some garlic!!
Don't play with fillets, they don't need it.
Bill

Bill T

"Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
et...
> The other day, someone posted about using ground coffee as a steak rub
> (sorry, I can't remember who). IIRC, they said they used the coffee,
> garlic powder, salt and pepper. Anyone know the ratio? I bought a whole
> 6-lb beef tenderloin that I intend to cut into filet mignons and grill,
> and, at $8.29 a pound, I don't fancy ruining them.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Stan

Just use salt, pepper, and some garlic!!
Don't play with fillets, they don't need it.
Bill

Frank Mancuso

Stan,
Here's my recipe for Ancho Coffee Rub-it is yummy on steaks!
"Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
et...
> The other day, someone posted about using ground coffee as a steak rub
> (sorry, I can't remember who). IIRC, they said they used the coffee,
> garlic powder, salt and pepper. Anyone know the ratio? I bought a whole
> 6-lb beef tenderloin that I intend to cut into filet mignons and grill,
> and, at $8.29 a pound, I don't fancy ruining them.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Stan

Frank Mancuso

Let me try that again:
½ cup Salt
½ cup Brown sugar
¼ cup Ancho chili powder
¼ cup Espresso Grind Coffee (very fine grind)¼ cup Granulated garlic
¼ cup Ground black pepper

"Frank Mancuso" > wrote in message
> Stan,
> Here's my recipe for Ancho Coffee Rub-it is yummy on steaks!
> "Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
> et...
> > The other day, someone posted about using ground coffee as a steak rub
> > (sorry, I can't remember who). IIRC, they said they used the coffee,
> > garlic powder, salt and pepper. Anyone know the ratio? I bought a whole
> > 6-lb beef tenderloin that I intend to cut into filet mignons and grill,
> > and, at $8.29 a pound, I don't fancy ruining them.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Stan

Stan (the Man)

Frank Mancuso wrote:
> Let me try that again:
> ½ cup Salt
> ½ cup Brown sugar
> ¼ cup Ancho chili powder
> ¼ cup Espresso Grind Coffee (very fine grind)¼ cup Granulated garlic
> ¼ cup Ground black pepper

Thanks, Frank. I think I'll leave out the sugar and ancho. Like Bill T
said, filets don't need much. I'm just interested in trying out the
coffee on them. I wanted to get an idea of how much to use. This helped.

--
Stan

> "Frank Mancuso" > wrote in message
>
>>Stan,
>>Here's my recipe for Ancho Coffee Rub-it is yummy on steaks!
>>"Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
.net...

>>>The other day, someone posted about using ground coffee as a steak rub
>>>(sorry, I can't remember who). IIRC, they said they used the coffee,
>>>garlic powder, salt and pepper. Anyone know the ratio? I bought a whole
>>>6-lb beef tenderloin that I intend to cut into filet mignons and grill,
>>> and, at $8.29 a pound, I don't fancy ruining them.
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Stan

Stan (the Man)

Frank Mancuso wrote:
> Let me try that again:
> ½ cup Salt
> ½ cup Brown sugar
> ¼ cup Ancho chili powder
> ¼ cup Espresso Grind Coffee (very fine grind)¼ cup Granulated garlic
> ¼ cup Ground black pepper

Thanks, Frank. I think I'll leave out the sugar and ancho. Like Bill T
said, filets don't need much. I'm just interested in trying out the
coffee on them. I wanted to get an idea of how much to use. This helped.

--
Stan

> "Frank Mancuso" > wrote in message
>
>>Stan,
>>Here's my recipe for Ancho Coffee Rub-it is yummy on steaks!
>>"Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
.net...

>>>The other day, someone posted about using ground coffee as a steak rub
>>>(sorry, I can't remember who). IIRC, they said they used the coffee,
>>>garlic powder, salt and pepper. Anyone know the ratio? I bought a whole
>>>6-lb beef tenderloin that I intend to cut into filet mignons and grill,
>>> and, at $8.29 a pound, I don't fancy ruining them.
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Stan

Frank Mancuso

This one is great on ribeyes/pork ribs. You can tweak it-I add cumin
sometimes too.
"Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
et...

> Frank Mancuso wrote:
> > Let me try that again:
> > ½ cup Salt
> > ½ cup Brown sugar
> > ¼ cup Ancho chili powder
> > ¼ cup Espresso Grind Coffee (very fine grind)¼ cup Granulated garlic
> > ¼ cup Ground black pepper

> Thanks, Frank. I think I'll leave out the sugar and ancho. Like Bill T
> said, filets don't need much. I'm just interested in trying out the
> coffee on them. I wanted to get an idea of how much to use. This helped.
>
> --
> Stan
>
> > "Frank Mancuso" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Stan,
> >>Here's my recipe for Ancho Coffee Rub-it is yummy on steaks!
> >>"Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
> .net...

Frank Mancuso

This one is great on ribeyes/pork ribs. You can tweak it-I add cumin
sometimes too.
"Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
et...

> Frank Mancuso wrote:
> > Let me try that again:
> > ½ cup Salt
> > ½ cup Brown sugar
> > ¼ cup Ancho chili powder
> > ¼ cup Espresso Grind Coffee (very fine grind)¼ cup Granulated garlic
> > ¼ cup Ground black pepper

> Thanks, Frank. I think I'll leave out the sugar and ancho. Like Bill T
> said, filets don't need much. I'm just interested in trying out the
> coffee on them. I wanted to get an idea of how much to use. This helped.
>
> --
> Stan
>
> > "Frank Mancuso" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Stan,
> >>Here's my recipe for Ancho Coffee Rub-it is yummy on steaks!
> >>"Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
> .net...

Stan (the Man)

Frank Mancuso wrote:
> This one is great on ribeyes/pork ribs. You can tweak it-I add cumin
> sometimes too.

The filets came out fabulous. I never said a word, but noticed that no
one added any salt or pepper to their steak. Said it all.

--
Stan

> "Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
> et...
>

>>Frank Mancuso wrote:
>>
>>>Let me try that again:
>>> ½ cup Salt
>>>½ cup Brown sugar
>>>¼ cup Ancho chili powder
>>>¼ cup Espresso Grind Coffee (very fine grind)¼ cup Granulated garlic
>>>¼ cup Ground black pepper

>>Thanks, Frank. I think I'll leave out the sugar and ancho. Like Bill T
>>said, filets don't need much. I'm just interested in trying out the
>>coffee on them. I wanted to get an idea of how much to use. This helped.
>>
>>--
>>Stan

. cv.net...

> [...]

Stan (the Man)

Frank Mancuso wrote:
> This one is great on ribeyes/pork ribs. You can tweak it-I add cumin
> sometimes too.

The filets came out fabulous. I never said a word, but noticed that no
one added any salt or pepper to their steak. Said it all.

--
Stan

> "Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
> et...
>

>>Frank Mancuso wrote:
>>
>>>Let me try that again:
>>> ½ cup Salt
>>>½ cup Brown sugar
>>>¼ cup Ancho chili powder
>>>¼ cup Espresso Grind Coffee (very fine grind)¼ cup Granulated garlic
>>>¼ cup Ground black pepper

>>Thanks, Frank. I think I'll leave out the sugar and ancho. Like Bill T
>>said, filets don't need much. I'm just interested in trying out the
>>coffee on them. I wanted to get an idea of how much to use. This helped.
>>
>>--
>>Stan

. cv.net...

Olde Hippee

"Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
et...
> The other day, someone posted about using ground coffee as a steak rub
> (sorry, I can't remember who). IIRC, they said they used the coffee,
> garlic powder, salt and pepper. Anyone know the ratio? I bought a whole
> 6-lb beef tenderloin that I intend to cut into filet mignons and grill,
> and, at $8.29 a pound, I don't fancy ruining them.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Stan

Hi Stan, the coffee rub post was mine. Isn't it amazing? I did try it
again and ground the coffee finer than out of the can and it made the
difference we'd looked for. I used 2 scoops in the shake bag, but will cut
that down a bit next time as I threw away about half of the rub!
Nan

Olde Hippee

"Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
et...
> The other day, someone posted about using ground coffee as a steak rub
> (sorry, I can't remember who). IIRC, they said they used the coffee,
> garlic powder, salt and pepper. Anyone know the ratio? I bought a whole
> 6-lb beef tenderloin that I intend to cut into filet mignons and grill,
> and, at $8.29 a pound, I don't fancy ruining them.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Stan

Hi Stan, the coffee rub post was mine. Isn't it amazing? I did try it
again and ground the coffee finer than out of the can and it made the
difference we'd looked for. I used 2 scoops in the shake bag, but will cut
that down a bit next time as I threw away about half of the rub!
Nan

Stan (the Man)

Olde Hippee wrote:

> "Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
> et...
>
>>The other day, someone posted about using ground coffee as a steak rub
>>(sorry, I can't remember who). IIRC, they said they used the coffee,
>>garlic powder, salt and pepper. Anyone know the ratio? I bought a whole
>>6-lb beef tenderloin that I intend to cut into filet mignons and grill,
>> and, at $8.29 a pound, I don't fancy ruining them.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>--
>>Stan

> Hi Stan, the coffee rub post was mine. Isn't it amazing? I did try it
> again and ground the coffee finer than out of the can and it made the
> difference we'd looked for. I used 2 scoops in the shake bag, but will cut
> that down a bit next time as I threw away about half of the rub!
> Nan

Funny, I did the same thing. Made too much, I mean. I tossed about a
quarter cup of grounds, plus a bit more each of salt, pepper and garlic
into a container. I rubbed 6-lbs of filets and had over a cup left over.

But, man, they were delicious! Thanks for the tip.

--
Stan

Stan (the Man)

Olde Hippee wrote:

> "Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
> et...
>
>>The other day, someone posted about using ground coffee as a steak rub
>>(sorry, I can't remember who). IIRC, they said they used the coffee,
>>garlic powder, salt and pepper. Anyone know the ratio? I bought a whole
>>6-lb beef tenderloin that I intend to cut into filet mignons and grill,
>> and, at $8.29 a pound, I don't fancy ruining them.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>--
>>Stan

> Hi Stan, the coffee rub post was mine. Isn't it amazing? I did try it
> again and ground the coffee finer than out of the can and it made the
> difference we'd looked for. I used 2 scoops in the shake bag, but will cut
> that down a bit next time as I threw away about half of the rub!
> Nan

Funny, I did the same thing. Made too much, I mean. I tossed about a
quarter cup of grounds, plus a bit more each of salt, pepper and garlic
into a container. I rubbed 6-lbs of filets and had over a cup left over.

But, man, they were delicious! Thanks for the tip.

--
Stan

Olde Hippee

"Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
t...
> Olde Hippee wrote:
>
> > "Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
> > et...
> >
> >>The other day, someone posted about using ground coffee as a steak rub
> >>(sorry, I can't remember who). IIRC, they said they used the coffee,
> >>garlic powder, salt and pepper. Anyone know the ratio? I bought a

whole
> >>6-lb beef tenderloin that I intend to cut into filet mignons and

grill,
> >> and, at $8.29 a pound, I don't fancy ruining them.
> >>
> >>Thanks.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Stan

> > Hi Stan, the coffee rub post was mine. Isn't it amazing? I did try it
> > again and ground the coffee finer than out of the can and it made the
> > difference we'd looked for. I used 2 scoops in the shake bag, but will

cut
> > that down a bit next time as I threw away about half of the rub!
> > Nan

> Funny, I did the same thing. Made too much, I mean. I tossed about a
> quarter cup of grounds, plus a bit more each of salt, pepper and garlic
> into a container. I rubbed 6-lbs of filets and had over a cup left over.
>
> But, man, they were delicious! Thanks for the tip.
>
> --
> Stan

You're very welcome. We were amazed at how good that was, too. It's neat
when your kids can give you a good recipee, and our son eats well, so I
fugured we weren't going to ruin a good piece of meat.!!

Olde Hippee

"Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
t...
> Olde Hippee wrote:
>
> > "Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
> > et...
> >
> >>The other day, someone posted about using ground coffee as a steak rub
> >>(sorry, I can't remember who). IIRC, they said they used the coffee,
> >>garlic powder, salt and pepper. Anyone know the ratio? I bought a

whole
> >>6-lb beef tenderloin that I intend to cut into filet mignons and

grill,
> >> and, at $8.29 a pound, I don't fancy ruining them.
> >>
> >>Thanks.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Stan

> > Hi Stan, the coffee rub post was mine. Isn't it amazing? I did try it
> > again and ground the coffee finer than out of the can and it made the
> > difference we'd looked for. I used 2 scoops in the shake bag, but will

cut
> > that down a bit next time as I threw away about half of the rub!
> > Nan

> Funny, I did the same thing. Made too much, I mean. I tossed about a
> quarter cup of grounds, plus a bit more each of salt, pepper and garlic
> into a container. I rubbed 6-lbs of filets and had over a cup left over.
>
> But, man, they were delicious! Thanks for the tip.
>
> --
> Stan

You're very welcome. We were amazed at how good that was, too. It's neat
when your kids can give you a good recipee, and our son eats well, so I
fugured we weren't going to ruin a good piece of meat.!!

Frank Mancuso

Ancho Coffee Dry Rub

* ½ cup Salt
* ½ cup Brown sugar
* ¼ cup Ancho chili powder
* ¼ cup Espresso Grind Coffee (very fine grind)
* ¼ cup Granulated garlic
* ¼ cup Ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients together thoroughly. Sprinkle generously on beef or pork
for roasting or slow smoking, rubbing into the meat and coating all
surfaces. You want the meat to be completely covered with the dark mixture.
Allow to rest overnight before cooking whenever possible, especially if the
meat is not marinated first.

"Ridge Roofing, Inc." > wrote in message
> What is the exact reciper for the rub??
>

> On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 18:33:10 GMT, "Olde Hippee" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message
> et...

rub

> >whole

> >grill,

will
> >cut
> >>
> >> Funny, I did the same thing. Made too much, I mean. I tossed about a
> >> quarter cup of grounds, plus a bit more each of salt, pepper and garlic
> >> into a container. I rubbed 6-lbs of filets and had over a cup left

over.

> >> But, man, they were delicious! Thanks for the tip.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Stan
> >>

> >You're very welcome. We were amazed at how good that was, too. It's neat
> >when your kids can give you a good recipee, and our son eats well, so I
> >fugured we weren't going to ruin a good piece of meat.!!

Frank Mancuso