Tim

Default thanks very much!

I have had several recent posts on the group concerning my first real
test on my smoker. We had about 40 people over to celebrate my
daughter's high school graduation. I smoked two 7lb butts for just
under 11 hours. Those 40 people probably rendered about 100+
compliments on the Q!!! I had offers to cater for folks and the
skeptical ones that said I was lying, that one of the barbecue places
around home catered mine.(even had to pull out my smoker to show a
couple of interested folks) I have been a big fan of smoked meat for
many years and I have to say that this was some of the best I have
had. Following suggestions I read on this ng I brought it up to around
195...let it rest a while, pulled it that night and then re-heated the
next day using a crock pot which was an excellent way to serve since
we had the graduation ceremony and all going on as well. I put it in
the crock for about 4 hours on low with a couple of table spoons of
water...damn fine! Many thanks to all that helped...I did end up using
about 20 lbs of charcoal...not all of it burned and I still had a
"warm" fire 20 plus hours later. Still searching for real wood
charcoal...it is a tough find here in SW Va. Over all though I was
very pleased and appreciate this forum for all the help! Gotta get my
ribs down now...
Thanks again,
Tim
Graeme...in London

"Tim" > wrote in message
om...
> I have had several recent posts on the group concerning my first real
> test on my smoker. We had about 40 people over to celebrate my
> daughter's high school graduation. I smoked two 7lb butts for just
> under 11 hours. Those 40 people probably rendered about 100+
> compliments on the Q!!! I had offers to cater for folks and the
> skeptical ones that said I was lying, that one of the barbecue places
> around home catered mine.(even had to pull out my smoker to show a
> couple of interested folks) I have been a big fan of smoked meat for
> many years and I have to say that this was some of the best I have
> had. Following suggestions I read on this ng I brought it up to around
> 195...let it rest a while, pulled it that night and then re-heated the
> next day using a crock pot which was an excellent way to serve since
> we had the graduation ceremony and all going on as well. I put it in
> the crock for about 4 hours on low with a couple of table spoons of
> water...damn fine! Many thanks to all that helped...I did end up using
> about 20 lbs of charcoal...not all of it burned and I still had a
> "warm" fire 20 plus hours later. Still searching for real wood
> charcoal...it is a tough find here in SW Va. Over all though I was
> very pleased and appreciate this forum for all the help! Gotta get my
> ribs down now...
> Thanks again,
> Tim

Tim,

Sounded like you did a fine job. I want to ask if you ran with a dry pan or
if you went the water/sand route? Regarding finding lump in your area, it
might be worth a call to a local restaurant supply company. The chances are
they might hold some in stock or know where you can get it.

Graeme

Steve S

>Still searching for real wood
>charcoal...it is a tough find here in SW Va.

Wal-Mart here in SE Va carries "Chef Wagon" lump, but if you find some, don't
bother. The stuff is crap!

If you have a "Do-It-Best" hardware store in your area, they might have some
lump. The one around here has Royal Oak and Big Green Egg lump, both are pretty
good. If they don't stock it, they may order it for you.

Steve
Rob

> Still searching for real wood
> charcoal...it is a tough find here in SW Va. Over all though I was
> very pleased and appreciate this forum for all the help! Gotta get my
> ribs down now...
> Thanks again,
> Tim

Tim-

Congrats on your first cook. From what you wrote it won't be your
last. Great start! Glad everyone enjoyed it. After the ribs...don't
forget to try a brisket. Not everyone is as familiar with it around
these parts of the mid-South but, I haven't had anyone complain yet.

BTW, have you checked Wal-Mart for lump charcoal? I know not every
location carries it near me. You might have to check a few locations.
In my case it's been found in the larger cities (Greensboro, NC) and
not is some of smaller towns (Asheboro, NC).

Some buy it from the True Value Hardware store (use google to search
this ng for the catalog number) Or, try some of those Institutional
Food Services (Sysco and the like).

Rob