Stephen Russell

Default Volume of meat to buy?

I'm throwing a party at church and was curious on the volume of meat to get.
Feeding probably 50 couples but it could raise to 75. That's 100 to 150
people for the math impaired

This is Memphis so pig is on the menu. We decided to do a large # of butts
so we could get them done in the same day, and ribs. Off the top of my head
2 cases of Baby Back ribs or do I need 3? How many butts is the bigger
question?

This is all for Thursday night before the July 4th weekend.

We have a few smokers on trailers that can handle this volume !!!!

BOB

Stephen Russell wrote:
> I'm throwing a party at church and was curious on the volume of meat to get.
> Feeding probably 50 couples but it could raise to 75. That's 100 to 150
> people for the math impaired
>
> This is Memphis so pig is on the menu. We decided to do a large # of butts
> so we could get them done in the same day, and ribs. Off the top of my head
> 2 cases of Baby Back ribs or do I need 3? How many butts is the bigger
> question?
>
> This is all for Thursday night before the July 4th weekend.
>
> We have a few smokers on trailers that can handle this volume !!!!

Try this:

http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/b1039-w.html

BOB

Dave Bugg

BOB wrote:

> Try this:
>
> http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/b1039-w.html

Good job finding this, Bob. This will be a great resource to post when folks
need this kind of help.
Dave

Douglas Barber

Stephen Russell wrote:

> I'm throwing a party at church and was curious on the volume of meat to get.
> Feeding probably 50 couples but it could raise to 75. That's 100 to 150
> people for the math impaired
>
> This is Memphis so pig is on the menu. We decided to do a large # of butts
> so we could get them done in the same day, and ribs. Off the top of my head
> 2 cases of Baby Back ribs or do I need 3? How many butts is the bigger
> question?
>
> This is all for Thursday night before the July 4th weekend.
>
> We have a few smokers on trailers that can handle this volume !!!!

I have no experience with serving this many people, but I seem to
remember someone who did saying that people will eat as many ribs as you
put out there (seems this might be specially true of baby backs), and
then move on to graze the other meats. In smaller groups, my experience
conforms to that.

BOB

Dave Bugg wrote:
> BOB wrote:
>
>> Try this:
>>
>> http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/b1039-w.html

> Good job finding this, Bob. This will be a great resource to post when folks
> need this kind of help.
> Dave

I don't remember where I found this originally, but Stephen's post sent me
searching for it. I haven't needed it yet, but who knows?

BOB

Edwin Pawlowski

"Stephen Russell" > wrote in
message

> This is Memphis so pig is on the menu. We decided to do a large # of

butts
> so we could get them done in the same day, and ribs. Off the top of my

head
> 2 cases of Baby Back ribs or do I need 3? How many butts is the bigger
> question?

Depends on how you serve them. If the ribs are done and put out first,
minimum of a half rack per person. More for the big guys.

If the butts are pulled and served you will need much less ribs. Give the
early vultures something to fill their tummies with first, maybe toss them
a sausage. Normally, figure about 4 to 6 ounces of cooked meat per lady,
about 8 ounces per man.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Ray Gordon

> Depends on how you serve them. If the ribs are done and put out first,
> minimum of a half rack per person. More for the big guys.

Tell that to the "all you can eat" place that served up ribs for $8.95 a
person...to me.

Mmmm.

I'd down 20-25 spareribs or two racks of baby backs easily in one sitting.

Stephen Russell

" BOB" > wrote in message
> > We have a few smokers on trailers that can handle this volume !!!!

> Try this:
>
> http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/b1039-w.html
>
> BOB

Great site. I'll try to follow this and see how close to real it was.

Stephen Russell

"Douglas Barber" > wrote in message

> I have no experience with serving this many people, but I seem to
> remember someone who did saying that people will eat as many ribs as you
> put out there (seems this might be specially true of baby backs), and
> then move on to graze the other meats. In smaller groups, my experience
> conforms to that.

I can attest to that. What we do @ MIM for our team is to put out a spread
w/o ribs. And then drop a few trays of ribs. That way it's cheaper and
everyone gets some. Team is 80 strong and we feed 250 per night.

__Stephen

Seattlejo

> Try this:
>
> http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/b1039-w.html
>
> BOB

Great link Bob! Thanks
Seattlejo

Volume Tom Kunich Winemaking 0 17-10-2011 02:16 AM
Measurment by volume Emrys Davies[_2_] General Cooking 24 14-09-2008 05:51 PM
Volume of must or volume of expected juice for calculating sulfite/acid/yeast needed marc Winemaking 10 02-10-2006 11:21 PM
chatsford volume Falky foo Tea 14 25-12-2004 07:18 AM
chatsford volume Falky foo Tea 0 23-12-2004 09:48 PM