John T. McDougald

Default Need advice on new purchase

OK, here goes.....

I just joined the group today and have already started getting replies
from people who were very helpful. I decided on the spur of the moment to
go ahead and grab myself a smoker of sorts. Instead of jumping in and
buying the offset smoker that I was originally looking at, I scaled back a
bit and bought a Brinkmann Deluxe Charcoal smoker from Lowes.
I am using lump charcoal with a couple of pieces of dry oak put in. I
remember years ago, I bought my mother a Cajun Cooker that was nearly
identical and I seem to recall we had some problems with it. Particularly
with keeping the coals from smothering due to the lack of air flow. I am
seeking recomendations on how to make this a better smoker/cooker. Once I
cut my teeth and perfect my skill with this, then I (read that my wife will
allow me to...) buy a larger scale, offset smoker like I originally started
looking at.

Thanks ahead for the info folks, I really appreciate it.

John T McD.

--
We sleep peacefully in our Beds becuase Rough men Stand Ready in the Night
to visit Violence on those who would do Us Harm......G.Orwell

Duwop

John T. McDougald wrote:
> OK, here goes.....
> Thanks ahead for the info folks, I really appreciate it.

Did you check out the FAQ? It doesnt get specific about that particular
offset, but give some good mods that are generally needed for all offsets.

John T. McDougald

It's not an offset. I'll get one of those after I have had a little
experience with the smoker I just bought. I picked up one of those cheap
Brinkmann Upright smokers. I am aware of some of it's flaws and I'm hoping
that someone has come up with a few mods that will make it more useful and
usable.

Thnaks for the reply

John T McD.

--
"Duwop" > wrote in message
> John T. McDougald wrote:
> > OK, here goes.....
> > Thanks ahead for the info folks, I really appreciate it.
> >

> Did you check out the FAQ? It doesnt get specific about that particular
> offset, but give some good mods that are generally needed for all offsets.

Duwop

John T. McDougald wrote:
> It's not an offset. I'll get one of those after I have had a little
> experience with the smoker I just bought. I picked up one of those
> cheap Brinkmann Upright smokers.

There's a section on those too. Basically IIRC, drill a shitload of holes in
the firepan.

Jason

If and when you chunk that El Cheapo Brinkmann (ECB) do yourself a favor and
buy a Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM). It looks similar but is an order of
magnitude better. Your ECB requires frequent tending while the WSM will run
225F for over 12 hours at a time with absolutely no intervention. WSM is
about $180 these days, sometimes Amazon has them on sale. In fact you might
go buy it right now since it'll pay for itself eventually since it uses fuel
more efficiently than your ECB and is less likely to ruin a chunk of meat.

Trust me: I've owned both as have many of us here and at
virtualweberbullet.com. I left the ECB out by the street for some unlucky
person to pick up. "Buy the best and cry only once" as the saying goes.

If you insist on an offset realize they take LOTS of tending, even more then
your ECB, which is a good or bad thing depending on how much free time you
have and what your goals are. The WSM by conmparison is ridiculously easy
and goof-proof.