shipwreck

Default Flip my butt or not?

I'm 10 hours into an expected 19 for 15lbs of butt. I normally turn
it once at this point. It's always been great. However, I'm
wondering if I really need to.

WSM, top rack, 235temp perfect all night.

Is there a need or flip it or just leave it alone. I don't baste.

Thanks,

Gary
Douglas Barber

shipwreck wrote:

> I'm 10 hours into an expected 19 for 15lbs of butt. I normally turn
> it once at this point. It's always been great. However, I'm
> wondering if I really need to.
>
> WSM, top rack, 235temp perfect all night.
>
> Is there a need or flip it or just leave it alone. I don't baste.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary

The main issue is probably the texture of the bark - the side toward the
water pan won't bark up like the top unless you turn it. Could be a heat
differential also, between top of butt and cooking grate surface, that
could have some effect over such a long cooking time.

Jack Curry

"shipwreck" > wrote in message
> I'm 10 hours into an expected 19 for 15lbs of butt. I normally turn
> it once at this point. It's always been great. However, I'm
> wondering if I really need to.
>
> WSM, top rack, 235temp perfect all night.
>
> Is there a need or flip it or just leave it alone. I don't baste.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary

Nope, no need to turn a butt, no need to baste either. Just let it go to
190, wrap it in foil for an hour our two to rest, then pull it.

Jack Curry

shipwreck

Yeah, I think I'll leave it alone this time. I ususally go to 194 and
rest it for an hour.

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:23:18 GMT, "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis
@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>"shipwreck" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I'm 10 hours into an expected 19 for 15lbs of butt. I normally turn
>> it once at this point. It's always been great. However, I'm
>> wondering if I really need to.
>>
>> WSM, top rack, 235temp perfect all night.
>>
>> Is there a need or flip it or just leave it alone. I don't baste.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Gary
>>

>Nope, no need to turn a butt, no need to baste either. Just let it go to
>190, wrap it in foil for an hour our two to rest, then pull it.
>
>Jack Curry

JakBQuik

"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> "shipwreck" > wrote .
> >
> > Is there a need or flip it or
> >

> Nope, no need to turn a butt, no need to baste either. Just let it go to
> 190, wrap it in foil for an hour our two to rest, then pull it.
>
> Jack Curry

Damn....Just what Jack said! This is gettin old.

John in Austin

BOB

shipwreck wrote:
> I'm 10 hours into an expected 19 for 15lbs of butt. I normally turn
> it once at this point. It's always been great. However, I'm
> wondering if I really need to.
>
> WSM, top rack, 235temp perfect all night.
>
> Is there a need or flip it or just leave it alone. I don't baste.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary

No, you don't *need* to flip it, I never do. I start fat down (toward the fire)
and leave it alone.

Having said that, if your method works for you, and you're happy with the
results, why change anything?

BOB

wet flip flops? JKConey General Cooking 0 25-08-2010 02:57 AM
wet flip flops? Coach General Cooking 1 24-08-2010 05:28 AM
wet flip flops? Leave my mice alone General Cooking 0 24-08-2010 01:29 AM
Beer and flip flops Chemo the Clown General Cooking 0 21-04-2010 06:43 PM
Monsanto flip-flops on Prosilac Puss Milk Mad Cows General Cooking 0 12-04-2005 03:30 PM