M. A. Gilbert

Default Soft Shell Crabs

A biddy of mine just returned from new Orleans and hasbeen raving [non-stop]
about soft shell crabs that are smoked, then breaded and fried. Any info?
Recipes?

Canada Mike

Dennis Brown

No.............. but that does sound really good.

BKahuna

On Sat, 22 May 2004 23:05:55 GMT, "M. A. Gilbert"
> wrote:

>A biddy of mine just returned from new Orleans and hasbeen raving [non-stop]
>about soft shell crabs that are smoked, then breaded and fried. Any info?
>Recipes?
>
>Canada Mike

I live a stones throw off the Intercostal Waterway in Central Florida
where blue crabs abound. We use to use chicken necks on monofilament
fishing line to catch our own blue crabs. Unless you live in an area
where blue crabs are, you'll have to get soft shells frozen.

I have a friend who crabs commercially and he will give me softshells
every now and then and frying them up for sandwiches is a treat.

I've been eating softshell sandwiches my whole life, and I've eaten
them in New Orleans, Baltimore, and points south along the eastern
seaboard, but I've never heard of them smoked before frying. I've had
them smoked, so maybe smoking them and then frying them would be worth
trying.
Pierre

"M. A. Gilbert" > wrote in message et.cable.rogers.com>...
> A biddy of mine just returned from new Orleans and hasbeen raving [non-stop]
> about soft shell crabs that are smoked, then breaded and fried. Any info?
> Recipes?
>
> Canada Mike

Mike, I wonder what else he might be smokin' in New Orleans. I doubt
that its the crabs. Then to bread and fry? ?? Too odd. . .but:

If you must try it, smoke slow over hickory for just 20 minutes.
Remove, let cool, flour, egg wash, panko crumbs(or your favorite bread
crumbs seasoned), and fry in hot oil 'til brown. Serve immediately.
A sweet hot fruit salsa, or some horseradish cream to finish.

Down it with Asti Spumanti if you use the sweet sauce. Good luck with
it, Mike.

Moo

Pierre