Bob Hayden

Default Costco SS Front Ave Gas BBQ...cleaning?

Hi all,

Time, necessity and budget led me to by the $389 Char-Broil Front Avenue
grill from Costco. Stainless steel, side burner, rotis, cover, smoker box,
NG conversion kit available (already ordered)...a lot of grill for the $$.

Assembly was less than 30 minutes and it performed flawlessly. First trial
was no less than the next morning when I had to finish off 15 lbs (yes,
that's right) of tri-tip for a party that day. Unfortunately, I had to go in
the house to answer a phone call and when I came out the grill was pretty
much ablaze...yikes! The meat was able to be salvaged (actually, it was
pretty darn good!) but the borners, grates and interior cover of the gill
got pretty charred.

Any suggestions/recommendations on the best way to clean the stainless steel
without damaging it? Once clean, is there any type of protective coating to
put on to keep it from becoming so discolored? I intend to get a lot of use
of this grill...and I know I should have tested it out or "broken it in"
first before cooking so much at once, but what is done is done.

Thanks in advance for all info.advice.

Bob in RSM, CA

Louis Cohen

Barkeepers Friend always does a nice job on stainless.

A handful of aluminum foil crumpled up works OK as a mild abrasive for
scraping crud off stainless steel.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Bob Hayden" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi all,
>
> Time, necessity and budget led me to by the $389 Char-Broil Front Avenue
> grill from Costco. Stainless steel, side burner, rotis, cover, smoker box,
> NG conversion kit available (already ordered)...a lot of grill for the $$.
>
> Assembly was less than 30 minutes and it performed flawlessly. First trial
> was no less than the next morning when I had to finish off 15 lbs (yes,
> that's right) of tri-tip for a party that day. Unfortunately, I had to go

in
> the house to answer a phone call and when I came out the grill was pretty
> much ablaze...yikes! The meat was able to be salvaged (actually, it was
> pretty darn good!) but the borners, grates and interior cover of the gill
> got pretty charred.
>
> Any suggestions/recommendations on the best way to clean the stainless

steel
> without damaging it? Once clean, is there any type of protective coating

> put on to keep it from becoming so discolored? I intend to get a lot of

use
> of this grill...and I know I should have tested it out or "broken it in"
> first before cooking so much at once, but what is done is done.
>
> Thanks in advance for all info.advice.
>
> Bob in RSM, CA

Dave Bugg

Bob Hayden wrote:
> Any suggestions/recommendations on the best way to clean the
> stainless steel without damaging it? Once clean, is there any type of
> protective coating to put on to keep it from becoming so discolored?
> I intend to get a lot of use of this grill...and I know I should have
> tested it out or "broken it in" first before cooking so much at once,
> but what is done is done.

Ya know, Bob, there was a thread dedicated to that very information a few
days ago. Perhaps you could review the threads over the last week and find
it.
Dave

Bob Hayden

Dave,
You're right about the cleaning part, but in my post I was trying to share
info about the grill as well which is why I hought it warranted its own
topic.
Thanks for the heads-up...and although 've said it before I'll say it
again...nice to have you still with us!
Bob

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> Bob Hayden wrote:
> > Any suggestions/recommendations on the best way to clean the
> > stainless steel without damaging it? Once clean, is there any type of
> > protective coating to put on to keep it from becoming so discolored?
> > I intend to get a lot of use of this grill...and I know I should have
> > tested it out or "broken it in" first before cooking so much at once,
> > but what is done is done.

> Ya know, Bob, there was a thread dedicated to that very information a few
> days ago. Perhaps you could review the threads over the last week and find
> it.
> Dave

Dave Bugg

Bob Hayden wrote:
> Dave,
> You're right about the cleaning part, but in my post I was trying to
> share info about the grill as well which is why I hought it warranted
> its own topic.
> Thanks for the heads-up...and although 've said it before I'll say it
> again...nice to have you still with us!
> Bob

Thanks, Bob. I hope I didn't sound snippy about the cleaning thing... I just
thought that it might give you a head start knowing that recent information
was available. As for me, I have used Simple Green to do a lot of SS
degreasing and cleaning, with decent results.
Dave