Jason in Dallas

Default In defense of gas grills to make real BBQ

(Disclosu I have a Weber gas grill and love it, been using gas grills for
ages. Also have a Weber Smokey Mountain bullet smoker that I love.)

I was looking for beef rib info in the archives and came across many posts
where newbies asked about "how do I cook these here beef ribs on my gasser"
and people responded that BBQ done on a gasser would result in inedible
meat, that a gasser cannot do low and slow, etc.

I'm here to tell you that simply isn't true. I can't speak for all gas
grills but my Silver-B will happily maintain internal temperatures as low as
200*F for days if you like without any tending. Put meat in back, turn front
burner on to appropriate temperature. Simple. Toss a foil bag of wood
chips atop the front burner and get as little or as much smoke as you like.
In fact before I knew a damn thing about proper BBQ technique my favorite
baby back rib recipe was adjusted over the years and ammounted to smoking
ribs on the gasser with a hickory chip foil log at about 220*F for as long
as it took to make them right. The temperature was arrived at entirely by
accident, although I now know it to be ideal and accepted among experts.

Doing BBQ on the gasser is simple, foolproof and results in excellent Q, and
anyone who says otherwise must not have tried low and slow smoking on a
gasser. That said, I find the bullet more involving and fun, and I'll go on
record and say the Weber gasser is pretty lame at searing beef.

Jason in Dallas

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> > (snip discussion where Jason shows an easy method to make slow and low
> > 220*F BBQ in a Weber Genesis)

> Gad, I just dumped my kill-file, and here Jason is -- again -- mispeaking
> and trying to stir up a hornets nest. (snip)
>
> Here's my post addressing gas grills -- in this case my Weber Genesis --

and
> how to make 'Q wid it.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ba...oup:alt.foo d

..barbecue&start=50&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=alt.food.barbecue&selm=
> v45vctscgjele0%40corp.supernews.com&rnum=59

Allow me to do you the favor of making that unwieldly URL useful for
everybody: http://tinyurl.com/2djzl

As a rejoinder my method is a helluva lot easier than yours and works
perfectly, I don't see why you made such a production out of a simple
procedure. However my method is good only for small items alike a couple
racks of ribs and similar fare. If you want to cook a butt a genesis ain't
the way to do it.

But I most certianly didn't mispeak as to the methodology, and have made
countless dozens of excellent racks of BBQ ribs on the gasser using my very
simple slow and low smoking method. Incedentally the lid thermometer is
perfectly placed if you put the racks of ribs in the raised basket and
warming rack.

(P.S. - Why are you replying to someone you previously killfiled? Makes no
sense.)

Reg

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:05:44 GMT, "Jason in Dallas" >
> wrote:
>

>>Allow me to do you the favor of making that unwieldly URL useful for
>>everybody: http://tinyurl.com/2djzl

> Until tinyurl.com goes out of business.

Thank you. Not to mention the fact that it shrouds the URL. I know
many are in favor of URL forwarding services but I personally don't like
them and I don't use them. Just my 2. Now I feel better.

Kevin S. Wilson

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:06:44 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:05:44 GMT, "Jason in Dallas" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Allow me to do you the favor of making that unwieldly URL useful for
>>>everybody: http://tinyurl.com/2djzl

>> Until tinyurl.com goes out of business.
>>

>Thank you. Not to mention the fact that it shrouds the URL. I know
>many are in favor of URL forwarding services but I personally don't like
>them and I don't use them. Just my 2. Now I feel better.

Yep. In Jason's defense, he did include the long URL in his follow-up.
If I use a URL forwarding service, I try to include the long URL, too,
for all the reasons we've mentioned.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"

Jason in Dallas

> > Until tinyurl.com goes out of business.
> >

> Thank you. Not to mention the fact that it shrouds the URL. I know
> many are in favor of URL forwarding services but I personally don't like
> them and I don't use them. Just my 2. Now I feel better.

Serves a purpose, though. Lots of not-so-techie folks are incapable of
reassembling long link broken by their newsreader. I simply did them a
favor so they could follow along.

Dave Bugg

Jason in Dallas wrote:
> (Disclosu I have a Weber gas grill and love it, been using gas
> grills for ages. Also have a Weber Smokey Mountain bullet smoker that
> I love.)
>
> I was looking for beef rib info in the archives and came across many
> posts where newbies asked about "how do I cook these here beef ribs
> on my gasser" and people responded that BBQ done on a gasser would
> result in inedible meat, that a gasser cannot do low and slow, etc.

Gad, I just dumped my kill-file, and here Jason is -- again -- mispeaking
and trying to stir up a hornets nest. I gues that's the problem wid NWAs
(Newbies with attitude).

Here's my post addressing gas grills -- in this case my Weber Genesis -- and
how to make 'Q wid it.
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ba...oup:alt.foo d
..barbecue&start=50&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=alt.food.barbecue&selm=
v45vctscgjele0%40corp.supernews.com&rnum=59

BOB

Jason in Dallas wrote:
> (Disclosu I have a Weber gas grill and love it, been using gas grills for
> ages. Also have a Weber Smokey Mountain bullet smoker that I love.)
>
> I was looking for beef rib info in the archives and came across many posts
> where newbies asked about "how do I cook these here beef ribs on my gasser"
> and people responded that BBQ done on a gasser would result in inedible
> meat, that a gasser cannot do low and slow, etc.
>
> I'm here to tell you that simply isn't true. I can't speak for all gas
> grills but my Silver-B will happily maintain internal temperatures as low as
> 200*F for days if you like without any tending. Put meat in back, turn front
> burner on to appropriate temperature. Simple. Toss a foil bag of wood
> chips atop the front burner and get as little or as much smoke as you like.
> In fact before I knew a damn thing about proper BBQ technique my favorite
> baby back rib recipe was adjusted over the years and ammounted to smoking
> ribs on the gasser with a hickory chip foil log at about 220*F for as long
> as it took to make them right. The temperature was arrived at entirely by
> accident, although I now know it to be ideal and accepted among experts.
>
> Doing BBQ on the gasser is simple, foolproof and results in excellent Q, and
> anyone who says otherwise must not have tried low and slow smoking on a
> gasser. That said, I find the bullet more involving and fun, and I'll go on
> record and say the Weber gasser is pretty lame at searing beef.

I wouldn't feel safe leaving a gas grill unattended for the long periods of time
that I take making my barbecue. I have been known to sleep through the night,
or visit friends and/or relatives over an hours drive away with my barbecue
cooking. I don't think that would be safe to leave gas alone like that.

Just MY humble opinion

BOB

BOB

Jason in Dallas wrote:
>>> Until tinyurl.com goes out of business.
>>>

>> Thank you. Not to mention the fact that it shrouds the URL. I know
>> many are in favor of URL forwarding services but I personally don't like
>> them and I don't use them. Just my 2. Now I feel better.

> Serves a purpose, though. Lots of not-so-techie folks are incapable of
> reassembling long link broken by their newsreader. I simply did them a
> favor so they could follow along.

What's so hard about using a (FREE) newsreader that makes the entire link "hot"?

BOB
grilling some "spare gras" on the K1 as I type

Jason in Dallas

" BOB" > wrote in message
> I wouldn't feel safe leaving a gas grill unattended for the long periods

of time
> that I take making my barbecue. I have been known to sleep through the

night,
> or visit friends and/or relatives over an hours drive away with my

barbecue
> cooking. I don't think that would be safe to leave gas alone like that.

The grills are designed to be rugged enough to be on fire and moved around
on a regular basis. Hell, it's probably more safe then a gas water heater.
Definitely more safe then getting in a car and driving on a public road.

But hey if you're not comfortable ... then you're not comfortable.

Duwop

Reg wrote:
> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:05:44 GMT, "Jason in Dallas"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Allow me to do you the favor of making that unwieldly URL useful for
>>> everybody: http://tinyurl.com/2djzl

>> Until tinyurl.com goes out of business.
>>

> Thank you. Not to mention the fact that it shrouds the URL. I know
> many are in favor of URL forwarding services but I personally don't
> like them and I don't use them. Just my 2. Now I feel better.

I hear ya Reg, I've used tinyurl to successfully send people to
semi-malicious webs sites. Nothing damaging mind you, but extremely annoying
ones. However the ARE malicious sites out there, or a link could be direct
to a very small .scr or .exe file or some other payload carrier. Unless I
know the person giving the link, forget it, no tinyurl for me, I'd rather
cut n paste a long url.

Jason in Dallas

" BOB" > wrote in message
> > Serves a purpose, though. Lots of not-so-techie folks are incapable of
> > reassembling long link broken by their newsreader. I simply did them a
> > favor so they could follow along.

> What's so hard about using a (FREE) newsreader that makes the entire link

"hot"?

Nothing I suppose, but I and countless others use newsreaders that chop the
URL. I prefer to use Outlook for a number of reasons, mainly convenience
since it's already installed, up and running and does a nice job of
archiving.

Hell, you've got a Kamado and obviously are no stranger to compromise and
eccentricity.

Reg

Duwop wrote:

> I hear ya Reg, I've used tinyurl to successfully send people to
> semi-malicious webs sites. Nothing damaging mind you, but extremely annoying
> ones. However the ARE malicious sites out there, or a link could be direct
> to a very small .scr or .exe file or some other payload carrier. Unless I
> know the person giving the link, forget it, no tinyurl for me, I'd rather
> cut n paste a long url.

I agree completely. It's also a security issue.

I'm not jumping on anyone here BTW, I'm just expressing my own preference.
I think it's assumed by many that there's no downside to URL forwarding
and, therefore, everyone would be in favor of it. People use forwarding
to make it convenient for others and they at least get points for trying
to be helpful.

BOB

Jason in Dallas wrote:
> " BOB" > wrote in message
>> I wouldn't feel safe leaving a gas grill unattended for the long periods of
>> time that I take making my barbecue. I have been known to sleep through the
>> night, or visit friends and/or relatives over an hours drive away with my
>> barbecue cooking. I don't think that would be safe to leave gas alone like
>> that.

> The grills are designed to be rugged enough to be on fire and moved around
> on a regular basis. Hell, it's probably more safe then a gas water heater.
> Definitely more safe then getting in a car and driving on a public road.
>
> But hey if you're not comfortable ... then you're not comfortable.

I have, in a past life, serviced gas appliences. That includes furnaces,
stoves, ovens, ranges, water heaters, boilers, and gas grills. I've never seen
a burner on a gas grill built as well as the burners in the cheaper water
heaters. Well, except a couple gas grills that do use modified commercial gas
range burners. I still wouldn't leave a gas grill unattended, but it's *your*
choice. I'm glad you don't live in my neighborhood.

BOB

BOB

Jason in Dallas wrote:
> " BOB" > wrote in message
>>> Serves a purpose, though. Lots of not-so-techie folks are incapable of
>>> reassembling long link broken by their newsreader. I simply did them a
>>> favor so they could follow along.

>> What's so hard about using a (FREE) newsreader that makes the entire link
>> "hot"?

> Nothing I suppose, but I and countless others use newsreaders that chop the
> URL. I prefer to use Outlook for a number of reasons, mainly convenience
> since it's already installed, up and running and does a nice job of
> archiving.

Outlook is not a news reader. Outlook Express is.
Outlook express *will* open the complete links. It is exactly what I am using
right now.

> Hell, you've got a Kamado and obviously are no stranger to compromise and
> eccentricity.

Compromise? Exactly what am I giving up, in order to compromise? I think it is
the best of the best, unless you mean cooking for an army, then I'd just use
several at a time. Which I do occasionally

BOB

Duwop

BOB wrote:
> Jason in Dallas wrote:
>> The grills are designed to be rugged enough to be on fire and moved
>> around on a regular basis. Hell, it's probably more safe then a gas
>> water heater. Definitely more safe then getting in a car and driving
>> on a public road.
>>
>> But hey if you're not comfortable ... then you're not comfortable.

> I have, in a past life, serviced gas appliences. That includes
> furnaces, stoves, ovens, ranges, water heaters, boilers, and gas
> grills. I've never seen a burner on a gas grill built as well as the
> burners in the cheaper water heaters. Well, except a couple gas
> grills that do use modified commercial gas range burners. I still
> wouldn't leave a gas grill unattended, but it's *your* choice. I'm
> glad you don't live in my neighborhood.
>
> BOB

Hey BOB, hows that that saying go about arguing on usenet?
With someone like Jason willing to say anything to win whatever the argument
du jour is makes that even more true. This Jason dope made my record for
fewest posts before being killfiled. He's not even amusing like Kunt is for
gawds sake, not one redeeming feature.

BOB

Duwop wrote:
> BOB wrote:
>> Jason in Dallas wrote:
>>> The grills are designed to be rugged enough to be on fire and moved
>>> around on a regular basis. Hell, it's probably more safe then a gas
>>> water heater. Definitely more safe then getting in a car and driving
>>> on a public road.
>>>
>>> But hey if you're not comfortable ... then you're not comfortable.

>> I have, in a past life, serviced gas appliences. That includes
>> furnaces, stoves, ovens, ranges, water heaters, boilers, and gas
>> grills. I've never seen a burner on a gas grill built as well as the
>> burners in the cheaper water heaters. Well, except a couple gas
>> grills that do use modified commercial gas range burners. I still
>> wouldn't leave a gas grill unattended, but it's *your* choice. I'm
>> glad you don't live in my neighborhood.
>>
>> BOB

> Hey BOB, hows that that saying go about arguing on usenet?
> With someone like Jason willing to say anything to win whatever the argument
> du jour is makes that even more true. This Jason dope made my record for
> fewest posts before being killfiled. He's not even amusing like Kunt is for
> gawds sake, not one redeeming feature.

OOPS!
You're right on about that.
I read several groups and forums. There are a few "Jason's" that I have no
problem corresponding with. I just forgot about this one. But, he's giving
dangerous advise. I'd hate for some unsuspecting newbie to take his advice and
blow up part of the neighborhood.

BOB
munching on the grilled asparagus that was cooked earlier

Dave Bugg

Jason in Dallas wrote:

> Allow me to do you the favor of making that unwieldly URL useful for
> everybody: http://tinyurl.com/2djzl

Gee, did anyone have trouble with it previously.

> As a rejoinder my method is a helluva lot easier than yours and works
> perfectly,

That's great. I never stated that mine was the only way. I was addressing
your generalization that no one has helped newbies out who are trying to use
a gas grill to barbecue with.

> I don't see why you made such a production out of a simple
> procedure.

Lets see, perhaps because it takes that kind of effort to do briskets and
shoulders?

> However my method is good only for small items alike a
> couple racks of ribs and similar fare. If you want to cook a butt a
> genesis ain't the way to do it.

And yet I pointed out how it can be done. With the caveat that life would be
easier with a dedicated pit.

> But I most certianly didn't mispeak as to the methodology,

I didn't say you mis-spoke about methodology. Your mis-statement was that no
one would help newbies to barbecue on a gas grill. You mis-spoke.

> and have
> made countless dozens of excellent racks of BBQ ribs on the gasser
> using my very simple slow and low smoking method.

I don't care.

> Incedentally the
> lid thermometer is perfectly placed if you put the racks of ribs in
> the raised basket and warming rack.

No it is not.

> (P.S. - Why are you replying to someone you previously killfiled?
> Makes no sense.)

If you actually read my post, you wouldn't have made a fool of yourself with
that question.

Monroe, of course...

In article > , "Jason in
Dallas" > wrote:

> Serves a purpose, though. Lots of not-so-techie folks are incapable of
> reassembling long link broken by their newsreader. I simply did them a
> favor so they could follow along.

Tinyurls and gasser-Q! Jeeze, Jason-you're just a regoolar
hewmanitarian,you are! Helpin make people's lives sooooo much betterer.

Keep up the good work-I'll see what we can do about gettin ya a
commemorative medal or a plaque or something....

monroe( oooh that hard cutting and pasting )
Louis Cohen

You're right, of course. BBQ involves heat and smoke; it doesn't matter
where the heat comes from as long as it's 220-250° and you have smoke. I
made good BBQ on my electric ECB before I got the K.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Jason in Dallas" > wrote in message
m...
> (Disclosu I have a Weber gas grill and love it, been using gas grills

for
> ages. Also have a Weber Smokey Mountain bullet smoker that I love.)
>
> I was looking for beef rib info in the archives and came across many posts
> where newbies asked about "how do I cook these here beef ribs on my

gasser"
> and people responded that BBQ done on a gasser would result in inedible
> meat, that a gasser cannot do low and slow, etc.
>
> I'm here to tell you that simply isn't true. I can't speak for all gas
> grills but my Silver-B will happily maintain internal temperatures as low

as
> 200*F for days if you like without any tending. Put meat in back, turn

front
> burner on to appropriate temperature. Simple. Toss a foil bag of wood
> chips atop the front burner and get as little or as much smoke as you

like.
> In fact before I knew a damn thing about proper BBQ technique my favorite
> baby back rib recipe was adjusted over the years and ammounted to smoking
> ribs on the gasser with a hickory chip foil log at about 220*F for as long
> as it took to make them right. The temperature was arrived at entirely by
> accident, although I now know it to be ideal and accepted among experts.
>
> Doing BBQ on the gasser is simple, foolproof and results in excellent Q,

and
> anyone who says otherwise must not have tried low and slow smoking on a
> gasser. That said, I find the bullet more involving and fun, and I'll go

on
> record and say the Weber gasser is pretty lame at searing beef.

Kent H.

Jason, thanks for addressing a question I have had for a long time about
my Genesis Silver B. I will have a go at it the next time I do ribs,
leaving the 22" Web aside.
Kent

Jason in Dallas wrote:

> (Disclosu I have a Weber gas grill and love it, been using gas grills for
> ages. Also have a Weber Smokey Mountain bullet smoker that I love.)
>
> I was looking for beef rib info in the archives and came across many posts
> where newbies asked about "how do I cook these here beef ribs on my gasser"
> and people responded that BBQ done on a gasser would result in inedible
> meat, that a gasser cannot do low and slow, etc.
>
> I'm here to tell you that simply isn't true. I can't speak for all gas
> grills but my Silver-B will happily maintain internal temperatures as low as
> 200*F for days if you like without any tending. Put meat in back, turn front
> burner on to appropriate temperature. Simple. Toss a foil bag of wood
> chips atop the front burner and get as little or as much smoke as you like.
> In fact before I knew a damn thing about proper BBQ technique my favorite
> baby back rib recipe was adjusted over the years and ammounted to smoking
> ribs on the gasser with a hickory chip foil log at about 220*F for as long
> as it took to make them right. The temperature was arrived at entirely by
> accident, although I now know it to be ideal and accepted among experts.
>
> Doing BBQ on the gasser is simple, foolproof and results in excellent Q, and
> anyone who says otherwise must not have tried low and slow smoking on a
> gasser. That said, I find the bullet more involving and fun, and I'll go on
> record and say the Weber gasser is pretty lame at searing beef.

M&M

On 14-Apr-2004, "Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote:
<snip>
> Here's my post addressing gas grills -- in this case my Weber Genesis --
> and
> how to make 'Q wid it.
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ba...oup:alt.foo d
> .barbecue&start=50&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=alt.food.barbecue&selm=
> v45vctscgjele0%40corp.supernews.com&rnum=59

Dave, I'd like to read your original post, but I gave up trying to make
this link work. I'd
appreciate it, if you'd just e-mail me a copy of the post.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
John O

> Outlook express *will* open the complete links. It is exactly what I am
using
> right now.

Even when they wrap? I can't make OE do that. But I don't have any trouble
re-assembling links, either.

-John O

Dave Bugg

M&M wrote:

> Dave, I'd like to read your original post, but I gave up trying to
> make this link work. I'd
> appreciate it, if you'd just e-mail me a copy of the post.

I've gone ahead and copied it over to this post -- see below -- so it can be
read without having to go to google.

Ralph Williams wrote:

> I have been looking at a Nepoleon gas grill for doing some low
> temperature (200 - 250 degree) slow grilling of some pork shoulders
> and beef briskets. I have tried this on my Weber charcoal grill with
> great difficulty. I can't hold the low temperature because the
> charcoal won't stay lit.
>
> The gas grill should solve the temperature problem. And the makers of
> Nepoleon promote their product for this use, since they even sell a
> container to hold the smoking wood which is positioned over one of the
> burners to keep the smoke coming.

A box to hold chips is NOT an indication, by itself, that a gas grill can
effectively be used as a pit to cook 'Q. This is from a post I made last
June:
<quote>
Use only the back burner. You will have to use a combination of methods to
vent and control the temp: the burner control, propping the lid (1 - 2")
and opening the sliding tray at the bottom of the burner box. I've used
steel pie pans with holes in the bottom holding some lump, which is placed
inside of the sliding drip pan, partially covering the drip hole.
Supplemental (unavoidable) heat is supplied with the back burner.

Place a cookie sheet on the flavorizer bars to act as a buffer between the
flame of the burner and the grill where your meat is cooking. Use a remote
probe thermometer (something Polder-like), placing the probe through a cork
and laid on the grill, to monitor chamber temp. Do NOT depend on the
thermometer that is in the lid, as there will be a variance of 20 to 30
degrees from the actual temp at the grill.

This is a labor intensive process; you will be constantly adjusting lid
levels, sliding pan opening and burner temp.. And because you can't put too
much lump in this type of set-up, be prepared to add lump on a frequent
basis. In other words, you're stuck at or near the chamber for the
duration. Also, make sure -- DAMNED SURE --- that you have a
non-combustible surface under the grill; either dirt or a heat-proof shield.

You will get passable (meaning better than any restaurant claiming to do 'Q)
barbecue, but when you get a real rig for 'Q, the birds will sing, the sun
will shine, children will stop crying and life will be far easier and quite
a bit tastier. But this will get you started. Just keep in mind, this is
among the most labor intensive ways to do BBQ. Questions? Just holler.
<end quote>

Dave Bugg

John O wrote:

> Even when they wrap? I can't make OE do that. But I don't have any
> trouble re-assembling links, either.

Quotefix for Outlook Express has solved that problem for me... heck, it's
solved a lot of OE problems. And it's FREE. The URL is below for those
interested.
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/

Jason in Dallas

> > Even when they wrap? I can't make OE do that. But I don't have any
> > trouble re-assembling links, either.

> Quotefix for Outlook Express has solved that problem for me... heck, it's
> solved a lot of OE problems. And it's FREE. The URL is below for those
> interested.
> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/

The irony here is that some folks fear URL forwarding services like
tinyurl.com because malicious code could be hidden in the referenced URL,
and so they prefer the full URL in their newsreader. However, to get the URL
to be "clickable" in their OE newsreader they install a fix consisting of
unknown code that could be malicious.

Kind of like eating raw chicken and chancing salmonella to avoid the
trichinosis in raw pork.

Jason in Dallas

"Kent H." > wrote in message
> Jason, thanks for addressing a question I have had for a long time about
> my Genesis Silver B. I will have a go at it the next time I do ribs,
> leaving the 22" Web aside.

It's quick, easy and it took me many shots at perfecting BBQ on a dedicated
smoker before I could make ribs as good as I previously made on the gasser.
Seems to work best with the meat in the swinging basket and/or the elevated
warming tray area. Hard to do more than 2 racks, though.

Probably even easier with the Weber Somke and Steam accessory.

Dave Bugg

Jason in Dallas wrote:

> The irony here is that some folks fear URL forwarding services like
> tinyurl.com because malicious code could be hidden in the referenced
> URL, and so they prefer the full URL in their newsreader. However, to
> get the URL to be "clickable" in their OE newsreader they install a
> fix consisting of unknown code that could be malicious.

This pork's been irradiated... Quotefix has been around for quite a while,
and seems to be making its customers quite happy. And I didn't install
quotefix to make URLs clickable, I installed it for the way it keeps posts
and thread in an easily readible context.... along with the animated
emoticons :-)
Dave

Jack Curry

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Jason in Dallas wrote:
>
>> The irony here is that some folks fear URL forwarding services like
>> tinyurl.com because malicious code could be hidden in the referenced
>> URL, and so they prefer the full URL in their newsreader. However, to
>> get the URL to be "clickable" in their OE newsreader they install a
>> fix consisting of unknown code that could be malicious.

> This pork's been irradiated... Quotefix has been around for quite a
> while, and seems to be making its customers quite happy. And I didn't
> install quotefix to make URLs clickable, I installed it for the way
> it keeps posts and thread in an easily readible context.... along
> with the animated emoticons :-)
> Dave

Harry D directed me to Quotefix years ago. Great piece of freeware.

Jack Curry

Jason in Dallas

> > The irony here is that some folks fear URL forwarding services like
> > tinyurl.com because malicious code could be hidden in the referenced
> > URL, and so they prefer the full URL in their newsreader. However, to
> > get the URL to be "clickable" in their OE newsreader they install a
> > fix consisting of unknown code that could be malicious.

> This pork's been irradiated... Quotefix has been around for quite a while,
> and seems to be making its customers quite happy. And I didn't install
> quotefix to make URLs clickable, I installed it for the way it keeps posts
> and thread in an easily readible context.... along with the animated
> emoticons :-)

Thanks for the tip, will have to give it a look. I'm a sucker for cool
freeware utilities.

TFM®

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:05:44 GMT, "Jason in Dallas" >
> wrote:
>
> >Allow me to do you the favor of making that unwieldly URL useful for
> >everybody: http://tinyurl.com/2djzl

> Until tinyurl.com goes out of business.

Or after 30 days. Whichever comes first.

Someone tol' me those links expire after 30 days. Leaving no way to reach
the original link if you find the tiny URL in an ancient post via Google.

TFM® - In the meantime, it's cornvenient.

Dave Bugg

Jason in Dallas wrote:

> Thanks for the tip, will have to give it a look. I'm a sucker for cool
> freeware utilities.

I think you'll like it and find it useful.
Dave

Nathan Lau

TFM® wrote:
> Or after 30 days. Whichever comes first.
>
> Someone tol' me those links expire after 30 days. Leaving no way to reach
> the original link if you find the tiny URL in an ancient post via Google.

Oldest post I found on Google is http://tinyurl.com/o dated Feb 3, 2002
which still points to a unicycle.com page selling Reeder handles.

http://tinyurl.com/1 points to another unicycle-related web page.

Whatever. Unicycles have nothing to do with gas grills or barbecue.
--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
BKahuna

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:45:59 GMT, "Jason in Dallas" >
wrote:

>Doing BBQ on the gasser is simple, foolproof and results in excellent Q, and
>anyone who says otherwise must not have tried low and slow smoking on a
>gasser.

Broilerque. What you have perfected is Broilerque!

It's a caveman/wood fire kind of thing.

Mark Shaw

In article >,
Reg > wrote:
>Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:05:44 GMT, "Jason in Dallas" >
>> wrote:
>>>Allow me to do you the favor of making that unwieldly URL useful for
>>>everybody: http://tinyurl.com/2djzl

>> Until tinyurl.com goes out of business.

>Thank you. Not to mention the fact that it shrouds the URL. I know
>many are in favor of URL forwarding services but I personally don't like
>them and I don't use them. Just my 2. Now I feel better.

Makeashorterlink at least takes you to an intermediate page for a
few seconds that lets you see what the source URL is first. Some
folks won't click on tinyurl links because usenet jackasses some-
times use it to trick people into visiting offensive pages.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"This time I think the Americans are serious. Bush is not like

Reg

Kent H. wrote:

> This URL doesn't go anywhere.

You have to cut and paste the 3 lines back together. Try this one.

<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=barbecue+on+weber+dave+bugg+group:alt.foo d.barbecue&start=50&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=alt.food.barbecue&selm=v45vctscgjele0%40co rp.supernews.com&rnum=59>

Kent H.

Thanks Jason:
What do you do about the fat dripping onto the flavorizer bars? This has
always kept me from trying this. The fat collector in the Genesis B
seems to be a lot more primitive and less effective than on the Weber
Performer, where you can easily put foil under the ribs or whatever
you're cooking.
Again, Thanks.
Kent

Jason in Dallas wrote:

> "Kent H." > wrote in message
> > Jason, thanks for addressing a question I have had for a long time about
> > my Genesis Silver B. I will have a go at it the next time I do ribs,
> > leaving the 22" Web aside.

> It's quick, easy and it took me many shots at perfecting BBQ on a dedicated
> smoker before I could make ribs as good as I previously made on the gasser.
> Seems to work best with the meat in the swinging basket and/or the elevated
> warming tray area. Hard to do more than 2 racks, though.
>
> Probably even easier with the Weber Somke and Steam accessory.

Kent H.

This URL doesn't go anywhere.

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Jason in Dallas wrote:
> > (Disclosu I have a Weber gas grill and love it, been using gas
> > grills for ages. Also have a Weber Smokey Mountain bullet smoker that
> > I love.)
> >
> > I was looking for beef rib info in the archives and came across many
> > posts where newbies asked about "how do I cook these here beef ribs
> > on my gasser" and people responded that BBQ done on a gasser would
> > result in inedible meat, that a gasser cannot do low and slow, etc.

> Gad, I just dumped my kill-file, and here Jason is -- again -- mispeaking
> and trying to stir up a hornets nest. I gues that's the problem wid NWAs
> (Newbies with attitude).
>
> Here's my post addressing gas grills -- in this case my Weber Genesis -- and
> how to make 'Q wid it.
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ba...oup:alt.foo d
> .barbecue&start=50&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=alt.food.barbecue&selm=
> v45vctscgjele0%40corp.supernews.com&rnum=59

BOB

Kent H. wrote:

{response from this idiot placed at the bottom, where responses belong}

> Dave Bugg wrote:
>>
>> Jason in Dallas wrote:
>>> (Disclosu I have a Weber gas grill and love it, been using gas
>>> grills for ages. Also have a Weber Smokey Mountain bullet smoker that
>>> I love.)
>>>
>>> I was looking for beef rib info in the archives and came across many
>>> posts where newbies asked about "how do I cook these here beef ribs
>>> on my gasser" and people responded that BBQ done on a gasser would
>>> result in inedible meat, that a gasser cannot do low and slow, etc.

>> Gad, I just dumped my kill-file, and here Jason is -- again -- mispeaking
>> and trying to stir up a hornets nest. I gues that's the problem wid NWAs
>> (Newbies with attitude).
>>
>> Here's my post addressing gas grills -- in this case my Weber Genesis -- and
>> how to make 'Q wid it.
>> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ba...oup:alt.foo d
>> .barbecue&start=50&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=alt.food.barbecue&selm=
>> v45vctscgjele0%40corp.supernews.com&rnum=59

> This URL doesn't go anywhere.

It's in a special code that only intelligent people can use. Learn how to
properly use your newsreader, and how to properly respond to usenet posts, and
magically it will go to where it should.

BOB

BOB

Kent H. wrote:

> Jason in Dallas wrote:
>>
>> "Kent H." > wrote in message
>>> Jason, thanks for addressing a question I have had for a long time about
>>> my Genesis Silver B. I will have a go at it the next time I do ribs,
>>> leaving the 22" Web aside.

>> It's quick, easy and it took me many shots at perfecting BBQ on a dedicated
>> smoker before I could make ribs as good as I previously made on the gasser.
>> Seems to work best with the meat in the swinging basket and/or the elevated
>> warming tray area. Hard to do more than 2 racks, though.
>>
>> Probably even easier with the Weber Somke and Steam accessory.

> Thanks Jason:
> What do you do about the fat dripping onto the flavorizer bars? This has
> always kept me from trying this. The fat collector in the Genesis B
> seems to be a lot more primitive and less effective than on the Weber
> Performer, where you can easily put foil under the ribs or whatever
> you're cooking.
> Again, Thanks.
> Kent

What do you think the "flavorizor" bars are for, Kennt? Do you think that
stainless steel,or cast iron will add any "flavor" to anything? They are
*SUPPOSED to catch the fat and grease, burn it and add the "flavor" to the air,
making smoke.

BOB