Default First smoke on the WSM

Well folks, after lurking here for a year, researching on my own, and
then offering a few small tidbits of informaiton I finally got my own
WSM via the Amazon deal back in February.

Yesterday was to be the "opening event" so Saturday afternoon we hit BJ's
to pick up 3 racks of back loin ribs, about 6 pounds.

I rubbed them down Saturday night and let 'em sit in the 'fridge
overnight.

After dropping my son at work for 8:00am I fired up a chimney of lump and
then added a second layer. Even in the 20's the coals were ready in about
20 minutes. Assembled the unit and added a half bag of Jack Daniels chips
to the water tray (what an incredible aroma they produce).

Coiled the racks, ala the BRIU method, and let 'em go for about 3 hours at
250. It's amazing how easy it is to run this unit. Yes, I've y'all tell us
that but finding out for yourself is different. Had to add water at about
the time I turned the racks over for another two hours.

Needless to say they came out incredible and I'm already planning my next
venture.

Thanks for all the advice from the folks here, it pushed me over the edge
to try all this.

Bill
F.G. Whitfurrows

> wrote

> After dropping my son at work for 8:00am I fired up a >chimney of lump and then added a second layer. Even >in the 20's the coals were ready in about 20 minutes. >Assembled the unit and added a half bag of Jack >Daniels chips to the water tray (what an incredible >aroma they produce).

Well, I'm not sure what Jack Daniel's chips are but if they happen to be wood chips do two things for even better results.

1. Lose the chips and use bigger chunks of wood. 2"x2" is a reasonable size.

2. Don't put the wood chunks or chips in the water pan...put 'em on the fire so they smoke. Thats' the whole point.

After awhile, as you get more used controlling the fire on your WSM, try filling the water pan with sand instead of water and covering it with HD aluminum foil. This is much easier as it eliminates alot of clean up and you don't have to worry about refilling the pan.

Have fun and keep cookin'. Its the tryin new stuff that keeps us goin'.

Well....ok, its the good meat that keeps us goin', but the new stuff is cool too.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Dave Bugg

> wrote in message ...

Well folks, after lurking here for a year, researching on my own, and then
offering a few small tidbits of informaiton I finally got my own
WSM via the Amazon deal back in February.

Good job, and congrats, ya did good. :-) (BTW, would ya mind turning off
the html?)
Dave

AG

>"F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote in >message

news
> wrote

>Well, I'm not sure what Jack Daniel's chips are but if >they happen to be

wood chips

Jack Daniel's chips are chips of old whiskey barrels they sell in bags at
Walmart and other places. Don't know if they provide any "brew" flavor but
they are made of oak.

ag

M&M

On 15-Mar-2004, "F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote:
<snip>

> Have fun and keep cookin'. Its the tryin new stuff that keeps us goin'.
>
> Well....ok, its the good meat that keeps us goin', but the new stuff is
> cool too.
>
> --
> Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
> and his 6" boner
>
> << Attached file: 130.htm (2,511 bytes) >>

Fos, I don't have a clue what's doing it, but as you can see there is an
htm file attached to your post that is a mirror of your text post.. I've
seen
this before on other's posts. Don't have a clue. This is not common with
your posts .
--
M&M ("The problem is that no matter what you do, there's
Sombody that won' t like it much") Tom Clancy

up in smoke Aussie1[_2_] General Cooking 0 17-12-2010 10:21 PM
What do you smoke? Kent Barbecue 19 08-07-2006 02:18 PM
too much smoke Piedmont Barbecue 4 29-05-2005 03:22 AM
Need smoke Johnny Mc Barbecue 59 02-02-2005 11:58 PM
What to smoke for the first try Dirty Harry Barbecue 69 29-05-2004 04:33 PM