Chef Juke

Default BBQ Map project

Hey all,

Just messing around with my mapping program while reading some posts
and thought I'd play around and try to map all of the suggested BBQ
joints folks here recommend.

So, if you either email me or post a message with the location and
website (if available) of a BBQ joint that you would personally
recommend, I'll add a link to the map..

Here's the start...Big Jim's...(yeah, I know, the link is to the lazy
Q site, but it's all I had...)

Whaddya think?

Did I miss someone already doing (done) this?

-Chef Juke
http://www.chefjuke.com
"Everybody Eats when they come to MY house!"

(Remove the CAPS from the return address when sending email replies)

Chef Juke

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:06:49 -0800, Chef Juke >
wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>Just messing around with my mapping program while reading some posts
>and thought I'd play around and try to map all of the suggested BBQ
>joints folks here recommend.

>So, if you either email me or post a message with the location and
>website (if available) of a BBQ joint that you would personally
>recommend, I'll add a link to the map..
>
>Here's the start...Big Jim's...(yeah, I know, the link is to the lazy
>Q site, but it's all I had...)

Uhhh....maybe I shoulda posted the link somewhere right about here,
huh?

http://www.chefjuke.com/bbqmap/

>Whaddya think?
>
>Did I miss someone already doing (done) this?
>

>-Chef Juke
>http://www.chefjuke.com
>"Everybody Eats when they come to MY house!"
>
>(Remove the CAPS from the return address when sending email replies)

-Chef Juke
http://www.chefjuke.com
"Everybody Eats when they come to MY house!"

(Remove the CAPS from the return address when sending email replies)

Ricky

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
> Hey all,
>
> Just messing around with my mapping program while reading some posts
> and thought I'd play around and try to map all of the suggested BBQ
> joints folks here recommend.

Here's a list of bbq joints in Florida to map:
http://www.flbbq.org/joints.htm

Chef Juke

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 05:58:08 -0500, "Ricky" >
wrote:

>"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Just messing around with my mapping program while reading some posts
>> and thought I'd play around and try to map all of the suggested BBQ
>> joints folks here recommend.

>Here's a list of bbq joints in Florida to map:
>http://www.flbbq.org/joints.htm

Ricky,

Thanks for that, although I would prefer to get just places personally
recommended by folks here on A.F.B. as opposed to just a list of all
of the BBQ places that are out there.

-Chef Juke
http://www.chefjuke.com
"Everybody Eats when they come to MY house!"

(Remove the CAPS from the return address when sending email replies)

Jason Tinling

Chef,

I'll recommend a couple:

Smokebox BBQ Cafe
10020 NW Ambassador Ave
Kansas City, MO
64153

I wasn't expecting much from a place with 'cafe' in the name but was
pleasantly surprised. Fair prices, good eats. Located in an industrial
park "strip mall"

Plusses:
A couple of slices of white bread on top of every order
Good beans with a tasty amount of ends, etc chopped in
A sharp, vinegary slaw.
Burnt ends and their sausage both rock

Minuses:
Have to ask for your sauce on the side
Brisket cut a little too thin
Food cooked off-site
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JP's Southern BBQ
356 N. Queen St
Lancaster, PA
17601

Surprised to find this one, as PA "BBQ" consists of thin slices of pork or
beef roast, soaked in some kinda broth/liquid until tonged outta the pool,
tossed on some bread and splashed with a sweet ketchup/relish
mix...<shudder>

Pluses:
Deep smoke ring, thick slices of brisket still nice and tender
Sauce on the side!
Nice smoky beans with some burnt ends
Pit made by a local fellow, guy who runs the PA KCBS event. Great hunk of
metal.

Minuses:
Sauce a little on the sweet side

Neutrals:
Slaw too heavy on the onions for my taste.

Jason

Kevin S. Wilson

wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>Just messing around with my mapping program while reading some posts
>and thought I'd play around and try to map all of the suggested BBQ
>joints folks here recommend.

Sagebrush BBQ in New Meadows, ID

(Let's see if your mapping program can find New Meadows.)

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Ricky

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message

> Ricky,
>
> Thanks for that, although I would prefer to get just places personally
> recommended by folks here on A.F.B. as opposed to just a list of all
> of the BBQ places that are out there.

All of the recommendations came from either this newsgroup or the bbq forum.
It's not just a list of bbq places, it's a list of recommended bbq places.

Lew/+Silat

Chef Juke,

A fine, fine idea.

Lew/+Silat

When I was a rebel ( oh yeah Ive always been one) I wanted to be the guy
that when I moved into the house next to you , your lawn would die....

IVE FRIGGEN TURNED INTO THAT GUY:}

Rob

Chef Juke > wrote in message

> So, if you either email me or post a message with the location and
> website (if available) of a BBQ joint that you would personally
> recommend, I'll add a link to the map..

Chef-

There are two that come to my mind (that are still operating). Sadly,
they are both in TX and I'm (now) in NC.

Joe's Barbeque Company
1400 E. Hwy 6
P.O. Box 2489
Alvin, Texas 77512-2489
Tel.: 281-331-9626
Fax: 281-331-5016
http://www.joesbbq.com/

Incredible smoked sausage po-boy.. load up on pickles and onions at
the "bar" before you sit down. The line outside starts early for lunch
and dinner but, it's worth the wait. I really like the sauce too.

The Salt Lick
18001 FM 1826
Driftwood, Texas 78619
512-858-4959
Office # at 512-894-3117
Monday thru Sunday, 11:00 a.m. to 10 p.m.
http://www.saltlickbbq.com/

Rob
Q' 4 all so long as it's not parboiled.
BOB

Chef Juke wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Just messing around with my mapping program while reading some posts
> and thought I'd play around and try to map all of the suggested BBQ
> joints folks here recommend.
>
> So, if you either email me or post a message with the location and
> website (if available) of a BBQ joint that you would personally
> recommend, I'll add a link to the map..
>
> Here's the start...Big Jim's...(yeah, I know, the link is to the lazy
> Q site, but it's all I had...)
>
> Whaddya think?
>
> Did I miss someone already doing (done) this?

Here's a website for my favorite in Orlando (area), Florida. It's pretty good
stuff, though the consistancy of the sides can leave something to be desired.

http://www.bubbalous.com/locations.htm

http://www.bubbalous.com/locations_alafaya.htm
http://www.bubbalous.com/locations_winterpark.htm
http://www.bubbalous.com/locations_kirkman.htm
http://www.bubbalous.com/locations_altsprings.htm

It's a local "chain" but each location has it's own personality.

BOB

frohe

Chef Juke wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Just messing around with my mapping program while reading some posts
> and thought I'd play around and try to map all of the suggested BBQ
> joints folks here recommend.

Well, lessee...
1 - Dave Bugg's place
2 - All AFBer locations - ya know they got good Q. 'Sides, it'd be fun to
see where everone's at.

--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Chef Juke

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:26:25 -0500, "Ricky" >
wrote:

>"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Ricky,
>>
>> Thanks for that, although I would prefer to get just places personally
>> recommended by folks here on A.F.B. as opposed to just a list of all
>> of the BBQ places that are out there.

>All of the recommendations came from either this newsgroup or the bbq forum.
>It's not just a list of bbq places, it's a list of recommended bbq places.

Hey Ricky,

My bad. I misread the heading on the page (the part about not a
recommendation) and kinda stopped there. I will sort through and add
the list.

-Chef Juke
http://www.chefjuke.com
"Everybody Eats when they come to MY house!"

(Remove the CAPS from the return address when sending email replies)

Chef Juke

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:54:39 -0700, Kevin S. Wilson >
wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:06:49 -0800, Chef Juke >
>wrote:
>
>>Hey all,
>>
>>Just messing around with my mapping program while reading some posts
>>and thought I'd play around and try to map all of the suggested BBQ
>>joints folks here recommend.

>Sagebrush BBQ in New Meadows, ID
>
>(Let's see if your mapping program can find New Meadows.)

Yup, and it even had a link for Sagebrush BBQ Steakhouse and Saloon...

;-)

-Chef Juke
http://www.chefjuke.com
"Everybody Eats when they come to MY house!"

(Remove the CAPS from the return address when sending email replies)

Chef Juke

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 23:20:02 GMT, "frohe" >
wrote:

>Chef Juke wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Just messing around with my mapping program while reading some posts
>> and thought I'd play around and try to map all of the suggested BBQ
>> joints folks here recommend.

>Well, lessee...
>1 - Dave Bugg's place
>2 - All AFBer locations - ya know they got good Q. 'Sides, it'd be fun to
>see where everone's at.

Say, that's fair.

In the interest of keeping folks stuff reasonably private (it's a big
bad internet out there) I'd do it by City only, not actually address,
but if folks are interested in an AFB Map as well, I'd be happy to
oblige (if i find my copy of mappoint I can run stats on where the
most AFB'er s per squre mile are...and such useless but fun trivia)

-Chef Juke
http://www.chefjuke.com
"Everybody Eats when they come to MY house!"

(Remove the CAPS from the return address when sending email replies)

Bruce

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:10:13 -0800, Chef Juke >
wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:06:49 -0800, Chef Juke >
>wrote:
>
>>Hey all,
>>
>>Just messing around with my mapping program while reading some posts
>>and thought I'd play around and try to map all of the suggested BBQ
>>joints folks here recommend.

>>So, if you either email me or post a message with the location and
>>website (if available) of a BBQ joint that you would personally
>>recommend, I'll add a link to the map..

Bob in GA's. South Central GA.
Bruce

Bruce

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:29:23 -0800, Chef Juke >
wrote:

>In the interest of keeping folks stuff reasonably private (it's a big
>bad internet out there) I'd do it by City only, not actually address,
>but if folks are interested in an AFB Map as well, I'd be happy to
>oblige (if i find my copy of mappoint I can run stats on where the
>most AFB'er s per squre mile are...and such useless but fun trivia)
>

>-Chef Juke
>http://www.chefjuke.com
>"Everybody Eats when they come to MY house!"
>
>(Remove the CAPS from the return address when sending email replies)

Bruce Cook
South Bend, IN
Bruce

AG

> In the interest of keeping folks stuff reasonably private (it's a big
> bad internet out there) I'd do it by City only, not actually address,
> but if folks are interested in an AFB Map as well, I'd be happy to
> oblige

works for me
Alan Gayton
Calhoun Ga 30701

also here is a place that is worth a visit. The Q is good and my kids like
the "pig hill 'o' fame"
http://www.poolesbarbq.com/
in East Ellijay, GA

ag

BigDog

Chef Juke wrote in alt.food.barbecue

> In the interest of keeping folks stuff reasonably private (it's a big
> bad internet out there) I'd do it by City only, not actually address,
> but if folks are interested in an AFB Map as well, I'd be happy to
> oblige (if i find my copy of mappoint I can run stats on where the
> most AFB'er s per squre mile are...and such useless but fun trivia)

I'll have to second the Salt Lick in Driftwood, TX.
Fantastic Q...
Doug Smith
San Antonio, TX.

--
BigDog
To E-mail me, you know what to do.
Chef Juke

Say,

Has anybody been to the Dinosaur BBQ in update New York?

I have their cookbook and really liked their tale of discovering real
BBQ and they have some good stuff in the book. Just wondering if
anyone has a first-hand account of their Que?

Oh, and just uploaded some updates to the BBQ map.

http://www.chefjuke.com/bbqmap/

NOTE: I'm looking for your (our) personal recommendations, not
forwarded lists or other such compilations of BBQ joints. I wanna
keep this "all in the family"

Just sayin'....

-Chef Juke
http://www.chefjuke.com
"Everybody Eats when they come to MY house!"

(Remove the CAPS from the return address when sending email replies)

bbq

Chef Juke wrote:
> Say,
>
> Has anybody been to the Dinosaur BBQ in update New York?
>
> I have their cookbook and really liked their tale of discovering real
> BBQ and they have some good stuff in the book. Just wondering if
> anyone has a first-hand account of their Que?
>
> Oh, and just uploaded some updates to the BBQ map.
>
> http://www.chefjuke.com/bbqmap/
>
> NOTE: I'm looking for your (our) personal recommendations, not
> forwarded lists or other such compilations of BBQ joints. I wanna
> keep this "all in the family"
>
> Just sayin'....
>
> -Chef Juke
> http://www.chefjuke.com
> "Everybody Eats when they come to MY house!"
>
> (Remove the CAPS from the return address when sending email replies)

Chef Juke, this is a cool idea. I had been thinking about putting
something like this together for when folks ask 'where can I get bbq
when I am in such-n-such place'? This is much more elaborate than what I
had in mind.

Could you please add

Famous Dave's
4264 Upton Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55410

I have been there and think it is OK bbq. I believe this location has
live Blues music also. They have won awards for being the Best BBQ in
the Twin Cities. On the BBQ circuit they have won awards also.
Famous Dave's has several locations in the Twin Cities and in other
states too. Won't ask you to include all locations. The map would be
too crowded.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Harry Demidavicius

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:12:35 -0800, Chef Juke >
wrote:

>Say,
>
>Has anybody been to the Dinosaur BBQ in update New York?
>
>I have their cookbook and really liked their tale of discovering real
>BBQ and they have some good stuff in the book. Just wondering if
>anyone has a first-hand account of their Que?
>
>Oh, and just uploaded some updates to the BBQ map.
>
>http://www.chefjuke.com/bbqmap/
>
>NOTE: I'm looking for your (our) personal recommendations, not
>forwarded lists or other such compilations of BBQ joints. I wanna
>keep this "all in the family"
>
>Just sayin'....
>
>-Chef Juke
>http://www.chefjuke.com
>"Everybody Eats when they come to MY house!"

Well you can take Calgary off that map, Chef, unless you want to list
my house. We've got great eating here, but no BBQ unless you dignify
Tony Roma's . . . . .

Harry
Bob McConnell

wrote:

>Say,
>
>Has anybody been to the Dinosaur BBQ in update New York?
>
>I have their cookbook and really liked their tale of discovering real
>BBQ and they have some good stuff in the book. Just wondering if
>anyone has a first-hand account of their Que?
>
>Oh, and just uploaded some updates to the BBQ map.
>
>http://www.chefjuke.com/bbqmap/
>
>NOTE: I'm looking for your (our) personal recommendations, not
>forwarded lists or other such compilations of BBQ joints. I wanna
>keep this "all in the family"
>
>Just sayin'....
>
>-Chef Juke
>http://www.chefjuke.com
>"Everybody Eats when they come to MY house!"
>
>(Remove the CAPS from the return address when sending email replies)

In spite of trying for several years, I've not been to it myself, but
know a number of people that have. It is considered excellent for
these parts. The average wait for a table is 1 1/4 hours. I have
purchased and used a number of their sauces and have the book as well.
My wife and I love them, although I can't handle some of the spicier
varieties like she can. Here in the Ithaca area, we see the sauce in
retail bottles in many stores and farmer's markets.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Flying Pig

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
> Hey all,
>
> Just messing around with my mapping program while reading some posts
> and thought I'd play around and try to map all of the suggested BBQ
> joints folks here recommend.
>
> So, if you either email me or post a message with the location and
> website (if available) of a BBQ joint that you would personally
> recommend, I'll add a link to the map..
>
> Here's the start...Big Jim's...(yeah, I know, the link is to the lazy
> Q site, but it's all I had...)
>
> Whaddya think?
>
> Did I miss someone already doing (done) this?
>

> -Chef Juke
> http://www.chefjuke.com
> "Everybody Eats when they come to MY house!"
>
> (Remove the CAPS from the return address when sending email replies)

Campbell's Bar-B-Q
8701 SE Powell Blvd
Portland, OR 97266

When I want some pig bones and don't have time to do them myself, I go to
Campbell's. Medium hot sauce, 'cause hot is just a bit toooo far. Yum.