Joe Agro

Default Smoking Fish?

Anyone have any good tips on smoking fish?

I had smoked mussels once and they were awesome... Would love to re-create
them at home.

Regards,
Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7

Ask me about "The Ride" on July 31, '04:
http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm

4 bedroom house for sale in NJ: http://GoneHome.com/62236

James Emanuel

"Joe Agro" <joe @ yunx . com> wrote in message
> Anyone have any good tips on smoking fish?
>
> I had smoked mussels once and they were awesome... Would love to

re-create
> them at home.
>
> Regards,
> Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7

Joe:

Basic Fish Brine

1 gal water
2 cups kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
spices and seasonings to taste:
garlic, ginger, pepper, chinese 5-spice, etc.

I find that the ginger infuses better if the brine is simmered for 10-20
minutes and chilled

Brine fish pieces about 3 hours. You will notice a change in texture of the
fish, slightly rubbery.
Rinse in clear water. Allow to air dry on racks, with a fan for about 1
hour. A pellicle will form, a tacky, shell-like layer on the outside of the
fish.

Smoke at low temps ( I try for 170 to 190 F ) until fish reaches an internal
temp of 140 F.

Above used succesfully with albacore, sturgeon, striped bass, rock fish,
steelhead, pacific salmon. Generally cut into pieces about 4-6 ounces.
Shellfish (shrimp, scallops) need less brine time, maybe 1 hour, skip
pellicle.

James Emanuel

Joe Agro

Thanks for the tips!

> Above used succesfully with albacore, sturgeon, striped bass, rock fish,

Sturgeon... The absolute best smoked fish I've ever had. Period. Also,
the most expeisive if bought.

Regards,
Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7

Ask me about "The Ride" on July 31, '04:
http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm

4 bedroom house for sale in NJ: http://GoneHome.com/62236

Looking for untreated, totally natural wood: Acacia, Alder, Almond, Apple,
Apricot, Ash, Bay, Beech, Birch, Black Walnut, Butternut, Carrotwood,
Cherry, Chestnut, Cottonwood, Crabapple, English Walnut, Fig, Grapefruit,
Grapevines, Guava, Gum, Hackberry, Hickory, Kiawe, Lemon, Lilac, Madrone,
Manzanita, Maple, Mesquite, Mulberry, Nectarine, Olive, Orange, Peach, Pear,
Pecan, Persimmon, Pimiento, Plum, Red Oak, White Oak, Willow

James Emanuel

"Joe Agro" <joe @ yunx . com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the tips!
>
> Sturgeon... The absolute best smoked fish I've ever had. Period. Also,
> the most expeisive if bought.
>
> Regards,
> Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7

Agreed. When I'm lucky enough to catch one, I smoke it with alder and
hickory. Very mild flavored fish with a meaty, beef-like texture.

James Emanuel

Reg

Joe Agro wrote:

> Anyone have any good tips on smoking fish?

These guys do a good job at describing the basic method

http://www.3men.com/threemen1.htm

> I had smoked mussels once and they were awesome... Would love to re-create
> them at home.

Smoke them on the half shell. Brush them with some olive oil and garlic
(or bbq sauce, or the sauce of choice) and smoke them at around 180-200 F.
It should take about an hour, depending.

Bob

> Looking for untreated, totally natural wood: Acacia, Alder, Almond,

Apple,
> Apricot, Ash, Bay, Beech, Birch, Black Walnut, Butternut, Carrotwood,
> Cherry, Chestnut, Cottonwood, Crabapple, English Walnut, Fig, Grapefruit,
> Grapevines, Guava, Gum, Hackberry, Hickory, Kiawe, Lemon, Lilac, Madrone,
> Manzanita, Maple, Mesquite, Mulberry, Nectarine, Olive, Orange, Peach,

Pear,
> Pecan, Persimmon, Pimiento, Plum, Red Oak, White Oak, Willow

Can't imagine using hackberry for anything. I have tried it in fireplace.
All ashes and little heat, and
very hard to keep it going.

Can get lots of Mesquite - what do you have in mind?

Joe Agro

If you ship it to me UPS Ground, I'll take a 50 lb. and thick piece (not too
long for shipment) at a reasonable cost.

Regards,
Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7

Ask me about "The Ride" on July 31, '04:
http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm

4 bedroom house for sale in NJ: http://GoneHome.com/62236

Looking for untreated, totally natural wood: Acacia, Alder, Almond, Apple,
Apricot, Ash, Bay, Beech, Birch, Black Walnut, Butternut, Carrotwood,
Cherry, Chestnut, Cottonwood, Crabapple, English Walnut, Fig, Grapefruit,
Grapevines, Guava, Gum, Hackberry, Hickory, Kiawe, Lemon, Lilac, Madrone,
Manzanita, Maple, Mesquite, Mulberry, Nectarine, Olive, Orange, Peach, Pear,
Pecan, Persimmon, Pimiento, Plum, Red Oak, White Oak, Willow

"Bob" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> > Looking for untreated, totally natural wood: Acacia, Alder, Almond,

> Apple,
> > Apricot, Ash, Bay, Beech, Birch, Black Walnut, Butternut, Carrotwood,
> > Cherry, Chestnut, Cottonwood, Crabapple, English Walnut, Fig,

Grapefruit,
> > Grapevines, Guava, Gum, Hackberry, Hickory, Kiawe, Lemon, Lilac,

Madrone,
> > Manzanita, Maple, Mesquite, Mulberry, Nectarine, Olive, Orange, Peach,

> Pear,
> > Pecan, Persimmon, Pimiento, Plum, Red Oak, White Oak, Willow
> >

> Can't imagine using hackberry for anything. I have tried it in

fireplace.
> All ashes and little heat, and
> very hard to keep it going.
>
> Can get lots of Mesquite - what do you have in mind?

Joe Agro

> You can get all the apricot and cherry you want. Fill up the entire
> bed of a Toyota truck for 40 bucks. But 'ya gotta come to Morgan
> Hill, California (just S. of San Jose)

Excellent news! Awesome. I'll come right over...

Let's see... NJ to CA... Maybe this weekend. <grin>

Regards,
Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7

Ask me about "The Ride" on July 31, '04:
http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm

4 bedroom house for sale in NJ: http://GoneHome.com/62236

Looking for untreated, totally natural wood: Acacia, Alder, Almond, Apple,
Apricot, Ash, Bay, Beech, Birch, Black Walnut, Butternut, Carrotwood,
Cherry, Chestnut, Cottonwood, Crabapple, English Walnut, Fig, Grapefruit,
Grapevines, Guava, Gum, Hackberry, Hickory, Kiawe, Lemon, Lilac, Madrone,
Manzanita, Maple, Mesquite, Mulberry, Nectarine, Olive, Orange, Peach, Pear,
Pecan, Persimmon, Pimiento, Plum, Red Oak, White Oak, Willow

Mike

"James Emanuel" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Joe Agro" <joe @ yunx . com> wrote in message
> > Anyone have any good tips on smoking fish?
> >
> > I had smoked mussels once and they were awesome... Would love to

> re-create
> > them at home.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7
> >

> Joe:
>
> Basic Fish Brine
>
> 1 gal water
> 2 cups kosher salt
> 1 cup brown sugar
> spices and seasonings to taste:
> garlic, ginger, pepper, chinese 5-spice, etc.
>
> I find that the ginger infuses better if the brine is simmered for 10-20
> minutes and chilled
>

> Brine fish pieces about 3 hours. You will notice a change in texture of

the
> fish, slightly rubbery.
> Rinse in clear water. Allow to air dry on racks, with a fan for about 1
> hour. A pellicle will form, a tacky, shell-like layer on the outside of

the
> fish.
>
> Smoke at low temps ( I try for 170 to 190 F ) until fish reaches an

internal
> temp of 140 F.
>
> Above used succesfully with albacore, sturgeon, striped bass, rock fish,
> steelhead, pacific salmon. Generally cut into pieces about 4-6 ounces.
> Shellfish (shrimp, scallops) need less brine time, maybe 1 hour, skip
> pellicle.
>

> James Emanuel

I like to sprinkle-Crushed peppers or black pepper over the fish right
before smoking also garlic or Dill weed
there is more flavor this way compared to putting it in the brine

Mike

I am using a dry brine, exactly like gravlox on a 7# steelhead
after filleting the fish I put 1/4 cup salt,brown sugar and black pepper on
one fillet then I sprinkled 2 Tbs of dill weed and a maybe a tsp of
crushed red pepper than I put the other fillet on it wrapped it up tight
in saran wrap.
placed fish on a pizza plate to catch the juices .
I will keep it in the fridge for 2 days turning and draining every 12 hours.
(Gravlox is normally done like this for 36 hours.)
next its off to the homemade smoker with cherrywood

James Emanuel

"Mike" > wrote in message

> I like to sprinkle-Crushed peppers or black pepper over the fish right
> before smoking also garlic or Dill weed
> there is more flavor this way compared to putting it in the brine

Mike:

Try this on your smoked fish. (Definition from epicurious.com)
sansho
[SAHN-show]
A mildly hot Japanese seasoning made from the aromatic berries of the
prickly ash tree, which are dried and ground into a powder. It's the same
spice that the Chinese call SZECHUAN PEPPER.

James Emanuel

smoking fish and meat. A. Kesteloo Barbecue 11 11-12-2010 01:00 AM
Smoking Fish tranch728 Barbecue 6 17-01-2005 01:27 PM
Smoking Fish tranch728 Barbecue 0 15-01-2005 08:08 PM
smoking fish? Tim Barbecue 15 10-06-2004 09:58 PM
Smoking Fish Porky Wascombe Recipes (moderated) 0 18-02-2004 01:38 PM