BOB

Default NUTS!

Almonds, specifically.

I found shelled almonds on sale and decided to try smoking them.

First attempt was not so good. the smoke seemed to just rub off on my hands and
not stay on the nuts.

Second attempt, I brined the almonds.
Boiled about 3/4 quart of water with maybe 1/4 cup of coarse sea salt, some
"Pickapeppa Sauce" (I don't measure, I just emptied the rest of the bottle in and
washed it out, dumping in the results) and some red pepper flakes, maybe 2 Tbs.
Added the almonds and boiled for about 2 more minutes, cooled it with about a cup
of vinegar, left the almonds to sit in this "brine" over night.

Dumped the almonds in a perforated Wok (see "Huck Wok" without the leg
alterations) and drained and dried while I lit the fire.

Since I didn't really want to cook the almonds, I decided on a fire of about 200*
(especially since I hadn't yet given my new Kamado Pizza stone a break in cook
yet).

When the temp stabilized at 200, I put the Wok full of almonds on the upper grill,
pizza stone was already on the main grill.

Added a couple small chunks of hickory, and let it go.

I don't know how long I smoked them, I just made sure that there was good smoke
coming out of the damper all the time.

They were good, but I might add more spices next time. Salt content was perfect,
and smoke was great.

Just make sure you make more than you need...I sampled about half of them during
the smoking process. <eg>

BOB

Another Wise Guy - Macon, GA USA

says...

>Almonds, specifically.
>
>I found shelled almonds on sale and decided to try smoking them.
>
>First attempt was not so good. the smoke seemed to just rub off on my hands and
>not stay on the nuts.
>
>Second attempt, I brined the almonds.
>Boiled about 3/4 quart of water with maybe 1/4 cup of coarse sea salt, some
>"Pickapeppa Sauce" (I don't measure, I just emptied the rest of the bottle in and
>washed it out, dumping in the results) and some red pepper flakes, maybe 2 Tbs.
>Added the almonds and boiled for about 2 more minutes, cooled it with about a cup
>of vinegar, left the almonds to sit in this "brine" over night.
>
>Dumped the almonds in a perforated Wok (see "Huck Wok" without the leg
>alterations) and drained and dried while I lit the fire.
>
>Since I didn't really want to cook the almonds, I decided on a fire of about 200*
>(especially since I hadn't yet given my new Kamado Pizza stone a break in cook
>yet).
>
>When the temp stabilized at 200, I put the Wok full of almonds on the upper grill,
>pizza stone was already on the main grill.
>
>Added a couple small chunks of hickory, and let it go.
>
>I don't know how long I smoked them, I just made sure that there was good smoke
>coming out of the damper all the time.
>
>They were good, but I might add more spices next time. Salt content was perfect,
>and smoke was great.
>
>Just make sure you make more than you need...I sampled about half of them during
>the smoking process. <eg>
>
>BOB

I have GOT to try this! Sounds really tasty!

| Just Another Internet Wise Guy Macon, GA USA |

Monroe, of course...

In article >, "Another Wise Guy -
Macon, GA USA" > wrote:

> says...
> >
> >Almonds, specifically.
> >
> >I found shelled almonds on sale and decided to try smoking them.
> >
> >First attempt was not so good. the smoke seemed to just rub off on my hands
> >and
> >not stay on the nuts.
> >
> >Second attempt, I brined the almonds.
> >Boiled about 3/4 quart of water with maybe 1/4 cup of coarse sea salt, some
> >"Pickapeppa Sauce" (I don't measure, I just emptied the rest of the bottle
> >in and
> >washed it out, dumping in the results) and some red pepper flakes, maybe 2
> >Tbs.
> >Added the almonds and boiled for about 2 more minutes, cooled it with about
> >a cup
> >of vinegar, left the almonds to sit in this "brine" over night.
> >
> >Dumped the almonds in a perforated Wok (see "Huck Wok" without the leg
> >alterations) and drained and dried while I lit the fire.
> >
> >Since I didn't really want to cook the almonds, I decided on a fire of about
> >200*
> >(especially since I hadn't yet given my new Kamado Pizza stone a break in
> >cook
> >yet).
> >
> >When the temp stabilized at 200, I put the Wok full of almonds on the upper
> >grill,
> >pizza stone was already on the main grill.
> >
> >Added a couple small chunks of hickory, and let it go.
> >
> >I don't know how long I smoked them, I just made sure that there was good
> >smoke
> >coming out of the damper all the time.
> >
> >They were good, but I might add more spices next time. Salt content was
> >perfect,
> >and smoke was great.
> >
> >Just make sure you make more than you need...I sampled about half of them
> >during
> >the smoking process. <eg>
> >
> >BOB

> I have GOT to try this! Sounds really tasty!

I would recommend temp of 200.6377F at the grill, cook til the internal
of the almonds is 121.4592F with a fire that is 753.8997F with 55.92 %
humidity and an opacity of 12.9637852% over shagbark hickory chunks
exactly 3.56" diameter quartered and chopped 2.323" long pieces. Flow
rate to the mister should be 3ml/min when activated and the water pan
level should be set at 2.967354" exactly. Since these will smoke up
pretty fast I'd log data points at 2 second intervals.

Or put em in a pressure cooker - dumb ol BOB doesn't realize that
pressure cooked almonds in Liquid Smoke are easier and taste better
than those smoked over a fire......

monroe(you've GOT to do it this way - it's science)
Steve Wertz

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 01:10:01 +0000, "Another Wise Guy - Macon, GA USA"
> wrote:

says...

>>Almonds, specifically.

>I have GOT to try this! Sounds really tasty!

Just can't seem to stay in his killfile, eh Bob?

-sw
Steve Wertz

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 23:00:01 -0500, " BOB" > wrote:

>where have you been sw?

It's becoming all too easy to fall behind in this group lately. The
S/N Ratio has dropped to 20% or so - RFC is actually tame compared to
AFB anymore. I think I'll go over there and stir up some dust...

-sw
Steve Wertz

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 16:58:35 -0500, " BOB" > wrote:

>Almonds, specifically.

I've been tempted to try these - I've tried everything else. I didn't
know if I should try and smoke the almonds, or just try making some
smoked (food-grade) rocksalt to put on roasted almonds.

My understanding is that the commercial products just use a smoked
salt rather than actually smoking the almonds. You have to admit,
they're prety good even though they're not 'BBQ'.

Anybody tried to smoke salt? I've bought hickory smoked salt at the
store and was really disappointed.

Spare me any flames - plenty of other current threads for that.

-sw (Making a pot of Navy Bean + Ham Soup for an ugly day in in TX).

BOB

Steve Wertz typed:
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 16:58:35 -0500, " BOB" > wrote:
>
>> Almonds, specifically.

> I've been tempted to try these - I've tried everything else. I didn't
> know if I should try and smoke the almonds, or just try making some
> smoked (food-grade) rocksalt to put on roasted almonds.

I'd tried smoking before...the smoke didn't really "stick" to the almonds. But
the higher temperature brine helps.
Also, you can spice it up as needed.

> My understanding is that the commercial products just use a smoked
> salt rather than actually smoking the almonds. You have to admit,
> they're prety good even though they're not 'BBQ'.

Yes, they are good.

> Anybody tried to smoke salt? I've bought hickory smoked salt at the
> store and was really disappointed.

I've thought about it several times...never tried it though. Maybe soon (writing
a note to myself: Smoke some SALT) Kosher salt would probably work better with
the larger surface area, wouldn't have to stir as often to get it all exposed to
the smoke?

> Spare me any flames - plenty of other current threads for that.
>
> -sw (Making a pot of Navy Bean + Ham Soup for an ugly day in in TX).

BOB

BOB

Steve Wertz typed:
> RFC is actually tame compared to
> AFB anymore. I think I'll go over there and stir up some dust...
>
> -sw

<wink>

George B. Ross

BOB ) opined:

> Almonds, specifically.
>
> [snip recipe/results]

I tried the "Little Devils" smoked peanuts from "Smoke and
Spice" and was dissapointed. I'll have to remember almonds next
time.

--
George B. Ross is
remove the obvious bit for email

You already think I'm nuts Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 49 12-01-2012 03:54 PM
may contain nuts Gill Smith General Cooking 0 03-08-2011 03:23 PM
Nuts El Niño-Naveb General Cooking 0 31-12-2008 02:09 PM
Nuts to YOU! Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 39 10-12-2008 10:48 PM