CHL

Default Anyone catch The World Championship Steak Cook-Off on The Food Network?

http://www.foodtv.com/food/show_sp/e..._27766,00.html

http://www.blossomfestival.org/event/cookoff/wcsc.htm

I don't mean to diss the good people of Magnolia, AK. But... World
Championship? Boy even the Clintons aren't slick enough to pull that
one off...

The Good:
- fun community event... practically the whole town gets together for
a steak dinner once a year.
- good competetion with some heated rivalies
- everyone got the steaks supplied to them so the playing field is
level

The Bad:
- why is it that everyone complicates steak with rubs, marinades and
other junk. IMHO Steak, Coffee and Bourbon should never be mixed with
anything.

The Ugly:
- Kingsford Briquettes and Lighter Fluid... need I say more? should
have turned the set off then.

I've been to a lot of places but I still prefer the old NYC
steakhouses (Luger's, Old Homestead, Smith and Wollenski, Palm...).
Haven't been to Kansas City but I understand they have the best
steakhouses in the US... (ease up you Texans... Haven't been to
Argentina either (the best steakhouses in the world?).

So not to go completely OT... what makes a good steak to the folks
here?
BOB

CHL typed:

> I don't mean to diss the good people of Magnolia, AK. But... World
> Championship? Boy even the Clintons aren't slick enough to pull that
> one off...
>
> The Good:
> - fun community event... practically the whole town gets together for
> a steak dinner once a year.
> - good competetion with some heated rivalies
> - everyone got the steaks supplied to them so the playing field is
> level
>
> The Bad:
> - why is it that everyone complicates steak with rubs, marinades and
> other junk. IMHO Steak, Coffee and Bourbon should never be mixed with
> anything.

When I go into a steak place and they bring that tray with all the sauces and
stuff, I always ask 'em if the steak is really that bad. Get a lot of strange
looks from the employees and the people that I'm with.
Because I feel this way about steaks, I don't buy them prepared by others, but if
someone else is buying and they force me into it...

BOB

frohe

CHL wrote:
> So not to go completely OT... what makes a good steak to the folks
> here?

Ribeyes... 1˝" to 2" thick... seared over a hot fire (lump with mesquite)
then moved to the other end of the cooker to finish medium rare....
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

CHL wrote:

> http://www.foodtv.com/food/show_sp/e..._27766,00.html
>
> http://www.blossomfestival.org/event/cookoff/wcsc.htm

<snip>

> So not to go completely OT... what makes a good steak to the folks
> here?

The steak, and maybe a little salt.
Dave.

Jack Curry

wrote:
> CHL wrote:

http://www.foodtv.com/food/show_sp/e..._27766,00.html

>> http://www.blossomfestival.org/event/cookoff/wcsc.htm
>>

> <snip>
>

>> So not to go completely OT... what makes a good steak to the folks
>> here?

> The steak, and maybe a little salt.
> Dave.

And pepper, and a good hot bed of oak coals.
Jack Curry

Pierre

(CHL) wrote in message . com>...

http://www.foodtv.com/food/show_sp/e..._27766,00.html

> http://www.blossomfestival.org/event/cookoff/wcsc.htm
>
> I don't mean to diss the good people of Magnolia, AK. But... World
> Championship? Boy even the Clintons aren't slick enough to pull that
> one off...
>
> The Good:
> - fun community event... practically the whole town gets together for
> a steak dinner once a year.
> - good competetion with some heated rivalies
> - everyone got the steaks supplied to them so the playing field is
> level
>
> The Bad:
> - why is it that everyone complicates steak with rubs, marinades and
> other junk. IMHO Steak, Coffee and Bourbon should never be mixed with
> anything.
>
> The Ugly:
> - Kingsford Briquettes and Lighter Fluid... need I say more? should
> have turned the set off then.
>
> I've been to a lot of places but I still prefer the old NYC
> steakhouses (Luger's, Old Homestead, Smith and Wollenski, Palm...).
> Haven't been to Kansas City but I understand they have the best
> steakhouses in the US... (ease up you Texans... Haven't been to
> Argentina either (the best steakhouses in the world?).
>
> So not to go completely OT... what makes a good steak to the folks
> here?

<<<repost>>>
I took this one from Southern Living, and won't do a ribeye without
it. Makes for a fabulous crust on a ribeye grilled hot and fast.
Allow to rest for 3-4 minutes before serving.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Peppered Rib-Eye Steaks

Recipe By : Southern Living Favorites
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:05
Categories : Beef Main Dishes
Rubs

3 teaspoons garlic powder
3 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons lemmon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons ground red pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
6 each rib eye steaks 1-1/2 " thick
3 tablespoons olive oil

Combine first 7 ingredients. Brush steaks with oil; rub with
seasoning mix, and chill 1 hour before grilling. Allow to come up to
temp on the counter, before grilling.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Serve with Napa Cab.
Pierre
Jack Schidt®

> I took this one from Southern Living, and won't do a ribeye without
> it. Makes for a fabulous crust on a ribeye grilled hot and fast.
> Allow to rest for 3-4 minutes before serving.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Peppered Rib-Eye Steaks
>
> Recipe By : Southern Living Favorites
> Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:05
> Categories : Beef Main Dishes
> Rubs

> 3 teaspoons garlic powder
> 3 teaspoons dried thyme
> 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
> 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
> 1 1/2 teaspoons lemmon pepper
> 1 1/2 teaspoons ground red pepper
> 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
> 6 each rib eye steaks 1-1/2 " thick
> 3 tablespoons olive oil
>
> Combine first 7 ingredients. Brush steaks with oil; rub with
> seasoning mix, and chill 1 hour before grilling. Allow to come up to
> temp on the counter, before grilling.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Serve with Napa Cab.
> Pierre

Great sounding rub; I'll save this one. I think one could just let the rub
sit while the steak is coming up to room temp, rather than chilling it, then
letting it sit. It takes about an hour to get up to room temp.

Jack

Jon Endres, PE

"CHL" > wrote in message
om...
> http://www.foodtv.com/food/show_sp/e..._27766,00.html
>
> http://www.blossomfestival.org/event/cookoff/wcsc.htm

<snippage>

> So not to go completely OT... what makes a good steak to the folks
> here?

Without reading anyone else's posts on this topic - I buy choice grade
ribeye whole from BJ's or Sam's, slice it myself about 1-1/2" thick, trim
1/8", and grill over lump charcoal at 650 degrees until *just* rare.
Seasoned only with kosher salt and crushed black pepper, and served straight
off the grill with a small pat of butter on top. Sides optional, but prefer
baked potato with sour cream and chives and a cucumber and onion salad.

Second best option would be a different cut, maybe porterhouse, everything
else being the same.

Jon E