Jim Pank

Default Good 'que in High Point and Hickory, NC?

We're heading from NJ down to High Point and Hickory for the big
After Market furniture sales next week. If I gotta look at a few
million sq. feet of furniture, I'm having REAL 'que every meal.

We'd really appreciate any recommendations for good 'que in those
areas, or in between.

Also, we'll be coming down Rt. 85 >> Rt. 40, so any places real near
to those highways would also be handy.

I'm completely unfamiliar with the area, so please, be gentle with
directions. The nearer the main roads the better.

I figure our itinerary looks like this:

Tuesday noon: leave NJ

Dinner Tuesday: someplace along I-85 (or I-40)

Lunch Wed.: High Point (maybe Thomasville)

Dinner Wed.: I-40 or Hickory (possibly even High Point)

Lunch Thur.: Hickory

Dinner Thur.: Hickory

Friday is still up in the air, depending on what we see.

TIA....
Greg Leman

"Jim Pank" > wrote in message
> We're heading from NJ down to High Point and Hickory for the big
> After Market furniture sales next week. If I gotta look at a few
> million sq. feet of furniture, I'm having REAL 'que every meal.
>
> We'd really appreciate any recommendations for good 'que in those
> areas, or in between.

You are headed for the very heart of Q country in NC, where we Tarheels
insist barbeque was invented.

Bullocks in Durham is really good. As you cruise by Durham on I-85, you can
take a short detour on 15-501 (.5 mi or so) and get off at the Hillsborough
Rd exit. Left on Hillsborough, then left on LaSalle. Bullocks will be on
your right. Park anywhere you can (it's usually crowded) and enjoy.
http://www.ibiblio.org/ch-scene/bbq/bullocks.html.
http://www.digitalcity.com/raleigh/e....adp?vid=18749

Lexington Barbqueue us the best in NC as far as I'm concerned:
http://www.ibiblio.org/ch-scene/bbq/lexington.html When you hit Greensboro,
instead of heading west on I-40, take a slight detour and stay on I-85 south
for a few more miles. Or you can go to High Point first and then head south
on I-85 Business. You can take 64 west to get back over to I-40 on your way
to Hickory.

Unfortunately, I don't know any of the joints towards Hickory, but you're
going to be so stuffed after Bullocks and Lexington that you may never need
to eat again. As we say in NC, check your watch -- you may be hungry and
not realize it!

--
Greg Leman
Carolina Sauce Company, Inc.

Rob

Jim Pank > wrote in message >. ..
> We're heading from NJ down to High Point and Hickory for the big
> After Market furniture sales next week. If I gotta look at a few
> million sq. feet of furniture, I'm having REAL 'que every meal.
>
> We'd really appreciate any recommendations for good 'que in those
> areas, or in between.
>
> Also, we'll be coming down Rt. 85 >> Rt. 40, so any places real near
> to those highways would also be handy.
>
> I'm completely unfamiliar with the area, so please, be gentle with
> directions. The nearer the main roads the better.
>
> I figure our itinerary looks like this:
>
> Tuesday noon: leave NJ
>
> Dinner Tuesday: someplace along I-85 (or I-40)
>
> Lunch Wed.: High Point (maybe Thomasville)
>
> Dinner Wed.: I-40 or Hickory (possibly even High Point)
>
> Lunch Thur.: Hickory
>
> Dinner Thur.: Hickory
>
> Friday is still up in the air, depending on what we see.
>

> TIA....

Well, Jim it's Monday so, here's a list anyways. Good luck with the
furniture shopping. You'll need the calories after walking some of the
showrooms!

Stamey's (Greensboro) - Stamey's Coliseum, 2206 High Point Road,(336)
299-9888
exit 40/I-85 at the High Point Rd./Coliseium exit. Bear right on to
High Point Rd. Stamey's will be on your left about 1mi(?)directly
across from the Greensboro Colsieum.

Barbecue Center (Lexington) - The Barbecue Center 900 North Main
Street, Lexington (336) 248-4633. Directions? On their website from a
multitude of routes: http://www.barbecuecenter.com/directions.htm

Carter Brothers (various locations around northern High Point) -

Rob (who prefers TX/TN style Q' but, doing better with NC style every
year.)
Jim Pank

Thanks to all.

I stayed up a while last night and got sorta familiar with the area.
At this point, it looks like we'll hit Allen and Sons, Lexington #1,
and Stamey's at the MINIMUM. May repeat at Lexington #1, with
consideration to Clark's and Andy's.......
Greg Leman

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> Please come back and tell us that Allen and Sons was terrible. It was
> closed when I was in the area (owners on vacation), and I had driven
> from Research Triangle Park to check it out.

Sorry, but Allen & Sons is pretty good -- it's practically an institution.
Bullock's is also superb, and the new kid on the block is Hog Heaven in
Durham and is getting a great reputation. I live within 15 minutes of all
three. :}
------------------------------
Greg Leman
Carolina Sauce Company, Inc.
http://www.carolinasauce.com

Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 23:25:19 GMT, "Greg Leman"
> wrote:

>"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Please come back and tell us that Allen and Sons was terrible. It was
>> closed when I was in the area (owners on vacation), and I had driven
>> from Research Triangle Park to check it out.
>>

>Sorry, but Allen & Sons is pretty good -- it's practically an institution.

Go ahead. Rub it in. I was sorely disappointed to find them closed.
Looked like the real deal.

>Bullock's is also superb, and the new kid on the block is Hog Heaven in
>Durham and is getting a great reputation. I live within 15 minutes of all
>three. :}

I had some good ribs at a place in Durham, but can't remember the name
of it. Took a pic of the place, but the pic is on my PC at home. It
sits on a 3-way corner on the outskirts of town.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho