Walt Lewis

Default Hobby to business?

Well as far as I can tell the best Q in my neck of the woods comes
from my own back yard. A few "rib joints" but no smell of smoke when
you pull into the parking lot.

Dreaming what it would take to go commercial as far as equipment and
capital.

Thoughts?

Buzz1

"Walt Lewis" > wrote in message
> Well as far as I can tell the best Q in my neck of the woods comes
> from my own back yard. A few "rib joints" but no smell of smoke when
> you pull into the parking lot.
>
> Dreaming what it would take to go commercial as far as equipment and
> capital.
>
> Thoughts?

How much can ya afford to lose???
Buzz
2FAT BIKERS BBQ

bbq

Walt Lewis wrote:

> Well as far as I can tell the best Q in my neck of the woods comes
> from my own back yard. A few "rib joints" but no smell of smoke when
> you pull into the parking lot.
>
> Dreaming what it would take to go commercial as far as equipment and
> capital.

This information is from Famous Dave's for a franchised opportunity

The minimum per unit development costs range from $644,700 to 2,707,000.
Minimum liquid net worth of $750,000.

> Thoughts?

Good Luck

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Edwin Pawlowski

"Walt Lewis" > wrote in message
> Well as far as I can tell the best Q in my neck of the woods comes
> from my own back yard. A few "rib joints" but no smell of smoke when
> you pull into the parking lot.
>
> Dreaming what it would take to go commercial as far as equipment and
> capital.
>
> Thoughts?

Aside from the equipment, building, supplies, etc, figure a year or two with
no income on top of that.

You also have to decide if you really want to turn a hobby into a business.
Many do and enjoy every day making money by doing what they consider NOT
working. Others take on a new business and find they no longer have a
hobby, but a job. Today you feel lime making ribs, tomorrow you feel like
making a brisket. When you have a business and your income depends on it,
will you want to make what sells over what you want?

Do you work weekends now? You will with your restaurant or take out place
as then is the busy time.

Good luck with your decision, but do take the time to think about all the
aspects of it.
Ed

Harry Demidavicius

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 02:22:07 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Walt Lewis" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Well as far as I can tell the best Q in my neck of the woods comes
>> from my own back yard. A few "rib joints" but no smell of smoke when
>> you pull into the parking lot.
>>
>> Dreaming what it would take to go commercial as far as equipment and
>> capital.
>>
>> Thoughts?

One of our AFB posters - from somewhere in S. Ontario, I believe -
became a very successfull BBQ Slut. He should be re-appearing here
shortly as his last "event" for the Season is/was some Country Fair
late this month. You might ask him how he made out. He bought his
1st K about 3 years ago as I recall and decided to "go commercial"
about a year after that because he had so many cooking requests.
I believe he said there were 6 operators catering to several 1,000
people.

Harry

>supplies, etc, figure a year or two with
>no income on top of that.
>
>You also have to decide if you really want to turn a hobby into a business.
>Many do and enjoy every day making money by doing what they consider NOT
>working. Others take on a new business and find they no longer have a
>hobby, but a job. Today you feel lime making ribs, tomorrow you feel like
>making a brisket. When you have a business and your income depends on it,
>will you want to make what sells over what you want?
>
>Do you work weekends now? You will with your restaurant or take out place
>as then is the busy time.
>
>Good luck with your decision, but do take the time to think about all the
>aspects of it.
>Ed

shotgun*@osbaccess.com

(snip...)

Nothing if you can raise pigs.

You'll probably only have to work 2 days a week for all the $ you
need.

>Dreaming what it would take to go commercial as far as equipment and
>capital.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahah