Jon Endres, PE

Default First brisket

Believe it or not, after having my #7 Kamado since *last April* (2002),
tonight I summoned up the courage to slap a 12 lb brisket on the K. Covered
in yeller mustard, some Lawry's salt, black pepper, celery seed, thyme and a
touch of Old Bay Seasoning (I love the stuff), it went on at 8 pm, 200
degrees dome temp, a full load of lump, some apple chunks, and fingers
crossed until tomorrow.

FWIW, I am cooking it direct, on the upper grill, on a v-rack, no drip pan,
no heat deflector, fat cap up. It's at least 18" from the coals, and at 200
degrees I don't expect too many problems.

Will post tomorrow, post meal, with results.

--
Jon Endres, PE
Reply To: wmengineer (at) adelphia (dot) net

JakBQuik

Jon Endres, PE > wrote in message
et...
> Believe it or not, after having my #7 Kamado since *last April* (2002),
> tonight I summoned up the courage to slap a 12 lb brisket on the K.

Covered
> in yeller mustard, some Lawry's salt, black pepper, celery seed, thyme and

> touch of Old Bay Seasoning (I love the stuff), it went on at 8 pm, 200
> degrees dome temp, a full load of lump, some apple chunks, and fingers
> crossed until tomorrow.
>
> FWIW, I am cooking it direct, on the upper grill, on a v-rack, no drip

pan,
> no heat deflector, fat cap up. It's at least 18" from the coals, and at

200
> degrees I don't expect too many problems.
>
> Will post tomorrow, post meal, with results.
>
> --
> Jon Endres, PE
> Reply To: wmengineer (at) adelphia (dot) net

Sleep well, Jon. Look forward to the post.

You'll have a great surprise in the morning when you see that 12 pounder
down to about 6 or seven pounds.

With the celery seed and the Old Bay..........you prolly live in someplace
like....hmmm Baltimore?

John in Austin

PS: Let that sucker rest in foil for a good one to two hours!

Cuchulain Libby

"Jon Endres, PE" > wrote
> FWIW, I am cooking it direct, on the upper grill, on a v-rack, no drip

pan,
> no heat deflector, fat cap up. It's at least 18" from the coals, and at

200
> degrees I don't expect too many problems.

Flip it. No need for a rack, don't K's come with racks?

-Hound

hillkwaj

No need to flip it in the K and no need for the extra rack - just put it directly on the upper grill - or even on the main at such a moderate temp. Assuming the temp remains well behaved all night then you're pretty well guaranteed a success!!!

I've done a dozen or so briskets on my #9 with nary a problem.

Steve

Jon Endres, PE

"JakBQuik" > wrote in message
news
> You'll have a great surprise in the morning when you see that 12 pounder
> down to about 6 or seven pounds.

Temp was down to 160 this morning - almost out of charcoal. It's back upto
about 210 now, but it also hit about 26 outside last night.

> With the celery seed and the Old Bay..........you prolly live in someplace
> like....hmmm Baltimore?

Nope - Vermont. BBQ is completely unknown in these parts.

> John in Austin

> PS: Let that sucker rest in foil for a good one to two hours!

Yep, will do.

Cuchulain Libby

<hillkwaj> wrote
> No need to flip it in the K and no need for the extra rack - just put it

directly on the upper grill -

I was suggesting he cook it fat side down, but then I cook my briskets
hotter than most. Fat *towards* the heat source, like in a K cooked direct,
will protect the meat.

-Hound

BOB

Cuchulain Libby typed:
> <hillkwaj> wrote
>> No need to flip it in the K and no need for the extra rack - just put it
>> directly on the upper grill -

> I was suggesting he cook it fat side down, but then I cook my briskets
> hotter than most. Fat *towards* the heat source, like in a K cooked direct,
> will protect the meat.
>
> -Hound

I agree with Hound's fat *towards* the heat, direct heat (no heat deflector)
especially in a K. Nice juicy almost pullable brisket. (Where *did* I get
the idea?) <vbg>
I have been known to cook the brisket on the upper rack, with other things on
the main grill. This way, the brisket is closer to the radient heat of the
dome and a few inches further away from the fire.

BOB

Jon Endres, PE

Default First brisket - post meal

" BOB" > wrote in message
. ..
> Cuchulain Libby typed:
> > <hillkwaj> wrote
> >> No need to flip it in the K and no need for the extra rack - just put

it
> >> directly on the upper grill -

> > I was suggesting he cook it fat side down, but then I cook my briskets
> > hotter than most. Fat *towards* the heat source, like in a K cooked

direct,
> > will protect the meat.
> >
> > -Hound

> I agree with Hound's fat *towards* the heat, direct heat (no heat

deflector)
> especially in a K. Nice juicy almost pullable brisket. (Where *did* I

get
> the idea?) <vbg>
> I have been known to cook the brisket on the upper rack, with other things

on
> the main grill. This way, the brisket is closer to the radient heat of the
> dome and a few inches further away from the fire.
>
> BOB

Removed at 4 pm after cooking at 190-200 since 8 pm previous night. Picked
up, fell apart. Really hard bark on bottom, next time will be fat down.
Rest of meat was unsliceable, it fell apart like pulled pork. Very juicy,
full of flavor and big smoke ring. Did not use a thermometer to check, I
suspect it was done well before I pulled it off the grill.

Not bad, need a lot more spice rub next time though, and need to check
internal temp.

Jon

Harry Demidavicius

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 05:23:47 GMT, "JakBQuik"
> wrote:

>Jon Endres, PE > wrote in message
. net...
>> Believe it or not, after having my #7 Kamado since *last April* (2002),
>> tonight I summoned up the courage to slap a 12 lb brisket on the K.

>Covered
>> in yeller mustard, some Lawry's salt, black pepper, celery seed, thyme and

>> touch of Old Bay Seasoning (I love the stuff), it went on at 8 pm, 200
>> degrees dome temp, a full load of lump, some apple chunks, and fingers
>> crossed until tomorrow.
>>
>> FWIW, I am cooking it direct, on the upper grill, on a v-rack, no drip

>pan,
>> no heat deflector, fat cap up. It's at least 18" from the coals, and at

>200
>> degrees I don't expect too many problems.
>>
>> Will post tomorrow, post meal, with results.
>>
>> --
>> Jon Endres, PE
>> Reply To: wmengineer (at) adelphia (dot) net
>>

>Sleep well, Jon. Look forward to the post.
>
>You'll have a great surprise in the morning when you see that 12 pounder
>down to about 6 or seven pounds.
>
>With the celery seed and the Old Bay..........you prolly live in someplace
>like....hmmm Baltimore?
>
>John in Austin
>
>PS: Let that sucker rest in foil for a good one to two hours!

I don't do brisket that often, primarily for the reason that it costs
so much here in Calgary, that I can upgrade for very little money. So
I am wondering what the purpose resting it in foil - for two hours -
serves.

Harry
Danny Hardesty

"Jon Endres, PE" > wrote in message
et...

> " BOB" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Cuchulain Libby typed:
> > > <hillkwaj> wrote

> it
> > >
> > > I was suggesting he cook it fat side down, but then I cook my briskets
> > > hotter than most. Fat *towards* the heat source, like in a K cooked

> direct,
> > > will protect the meat.
> > >
> > > -Hound

> > I agree with Hound's fat *towards* the heat, direct heat (no heat

> deflector)
> > especially in a K. Nice juicy almost pullable brisket. (Where *did* I

> get
> > the idea?) <vbg>
> > I have been known to cook the brisket on the upper rack, with other

things
> on
> > the main grill. This way, the brisket is closer to the radient heat of

the
> > dome and a few inches further away from the fire.
> >
> > BOB
> >

> Removed at 4 pm after cooking at 190-200 since 8 pm previous night.

Picked
> up, fell apart. Really hard bark on bottom, next time will be fat down.
> Rest of meat was unsliceable, it fell apart like pulled pork. Very juicy,
> full of flavor and big smoke ring. Did not use a thermometer to check, I
> suspect it was done well before I pulled it off the grill.
>
> Not bad, need a lot more spice rub next time though, and need to check
> internal temp.
>
> Jon

Next time, try a trick somebody showed me here on the newsgroup with pulled
pork. Slice the brisket up and then sprinkle some more of your favorite rub
across it before serving. It really enhances the flavor and gives the meat a
good appearance!

Danny Hardesty

bbq

Jon Endres, PE wrote:

> Removed at 4 pm after cooking at 190-200 since 8 pm previous night. Picked
> up, fell apart. Really hard bark on bottom, next time will be fat down.
> Rest of meat was unsliceable, it fell apart like pulled pork. Very juicy,
> full of flavor and big smoke ring. Did not use a thermometer to check, I
> suspect it was done well before I pulled it off the grill.
>
> Not bad, need a lot more spice rub next time though, and need to check
> internal temp.

Sounds like you had shredded beef. Nothing wrong with that.
If you got pics, they can be posted on alt.binaries.food

Happy Q'en,

BBQ
> Jon

Louis Cohen

Resting in the foil lets the meat reabsorb juices. Seems to help tenderness
as well, but I can't swear to it.

--

Regards

Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 05:23:47 GMT, "JakBQuik"
> > wrote:
>

> >Jon Endres, PE > wrote in message
> . net...
> >> Believe it or not, after having my #7 Kamado since *last April* (2002),
> >> tonight I summoned up the courage to slap a 12 lb brisket on the K.

> >Covered
> >> in yeller mustard, some Lawry's salt, black pepper, celery seed, thyme

and
> >> touch of Old Bay Seasoning (I love the stuff), it went on at 8 pm, 200
> >> degrees dome temp, a full load of lump, some apple chunks, and fingers
> >> crossed until tomorrow.
> >>
> >> FWIW, I am cooking it direct, on the upper grill, on a v-rack, no drip

> >pan,
> >> no heat deflector, fat cap up. It's at least 18" from the coals, and

at
> >200
> >> degrees I don't expect too many problems.
> >>
> >> Will post tomorrow, post meal, with results.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jon Endres, PE
> >> Reply To: wmengineer (at) adelphia (dot) net
> >>

> >Sleep well, Jon. Look forward to the post.
> >
> >You'll have a great surprise in the morning when you see that 12 pounder
> >down to about 6 or seven pounds.
> >
> >With the celery seed and the Old Bay..........you prolly live in

someplace
> >like....hmmm Baltimore?
> >
> >John in Austin
> >
> >PS: Let that sucker rest in foil for a good one to two hours!
> >

> I don't do brisket that often, primarily for the reason that it costs
> so much here in Calgary, that I can upgrade for very little money. So
> I am wondering what the purpose resting it in foil - for two hours -
> serves.
>
> Harry

Default User

bbq wrote:

> Sounds like you had shredded beef. Nothing wrong with that.

In fact, lots right with it. Makes terrific taco/burrito/enchilada
filling.

Brian Rodenborn
Alan Z.

When I cook briskets on my K, I keep the fat side up... I'd rather have the
fat basting the meat than protecting it from direct heat. So I always use a
drip pan under the brisket on a bracket below the brisket. So the pan
protects the meat, and the fat does its job.

"Jon Endres, PE" > wrote in message
et...

> " BOB" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Cuchulain Libby typed:
> > > <hillkwaj> wrote

> it
> > >
> > > I was suggesting he cook it fat side down, but then I cook my briskets
> > > hotter than most. Fat *towards* the heat source, like in a K cooked

> direct,
> > > will protect the meat.
> > >
> > > -Hound

> > I agree with Hound's fat *towards* the heat, direct heat (no heat

> deflector)
> > especially in a K. Nice juicy almost pullable brisket. (Where *did* I

> get
> > the idea?) <vbg>
> > I have been known to cook the brisket on the upper rack, with other

things
> on
> > the main grill. This way, the brisket is closer to the radient heat of

the
> > dome and a few inches further away from the fire.
> >
> > BOB
> >

> Removed at 4 pm after cooking at 190-200 since 8 pm previous night.

Picked
> up, fell apart. Really hard bark on bottom, next time will be fat down.
> Rest of meat was unsliceable, it fell apart like pulled pork. Very juicy,
> full of flavor and big smoke ring. Did not use a thermometer to check, I
> suspect it was done well before I pulled it off the grill.
>
> Not bad, need a lot more spice rub next time though, and need to check
> internal temp.
>
> Jon

Cuchulain Libby

"Alan Z." > wrote in message
et...
> When I cook briskets on my K, I keep the fat side up... I'd rather have

the
> fat basting the meat than protecting it from direct heat. So I always use

> drip pan under the brisket on a bracket below the brisket. So the pan
> protects the meat, and the fat does its job.

It'll still baste the meat, juices wick away from heat. Look at a steak or a
burger. But as I said before, I cook hotter and I'm referring to my 'little'
pit's vert, on the Lazyq I can move the briskets away from the fbox and
therefore cook fat up.

-Hound

Monroe, of course...

In article >, "Cuchulain Libby"
> wrote:

> "Alan Z." > wrote in message
> et...
> > When I cook briskets on my K, I keep the fat side up... I'd rather have

> the
> > fat basting the meat than protecting it from direct heat. So I always use

> > drip pan under the brisket on a bracket below the brisket. So the pan
> > protects the meat, and the fat does its job.

> It'll still baste the meat, juices wick away from heat. Look at a steak or a
> burger. But as I said before, I cook hotter and I'm referring to my 'little'
> pit's vert, on the Lazyq I can move the briskets away from the fbox and
> therefore cook fat up.

I'm a recent convert to the Fat Side Down side (in my K). No more dry
burnt bottom. Drip pans never helped protect brisket from 'scab' very
well-or oversmoke. The fat does, though, and I think the rubs cook into
the meat better this way. Gravity does seem to help give the spice
flavor a push downward. Proof? My FSD drippings are less red from
paprika loss than the FSU.
C'mon Alan - in a K there's practically <zero> chance for a brisket to
get dry or ever need any kind of 'basting'. My sampling of FSD briskets
is only two to date but I'm really sold on it being much better.
Do try it.
Praises be to Bro Hound and Bro BOB! Amen!

monroe(and hallelujah too)

> -Hound

Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 03:22:48 GMT, "Louis Cohen"
> wrote:

>Resting in the foil lets the meat reabsorb juices. Seems to help tenderness
>as well, but I can't swear to it.

Thks, Louis. It just seems like a heck of a long time, is all.

Harry
JakBQuik

> I'm a recent convert to the Fat Side Down side (in my K). No more dry
> burnt bottom. Drip pans never helped protect brisket from 'scab' very
> well-or oversmoke. The fat does, though, and I think the rubs cook into
> the meat better this way. Gravity does seem to help give the spice
> flavor a push downward. Proof? My FSD drippings are less red from
> paprika loss than the FSU.
> C'mon Alan - in a K there's practically <zero> chance for a brisket to
> get dry or ever need any kind of 'basting'. My sampling of FSD briskets
> is only two to date but I'm really sold on it being much better.
> Do try it.
> Praises be to Bro Hound and Bro BOB! Amen!
>
> monroe(and hallelujah too)

Hey atcha Monroe--

D'you make your brisket on direct heat or , like I do, with the V rack
sitting on a pizza stone, indirectly, ( I'm a FSU guy so far)?

John in Austin

BOB

JakBQuik typed:
>> Praises be to Bro Hound and Bro BOB! Amen!
>>
>> monroe(and hallelujah too)

> Hey atcha Monroe--
>
> D'you make your brisket on direct heat or , like I do, with the V rack
> sitting on a pizza stone, indirectly, ( I'm a FSU guy so far)?
>
> John in Austin

I'm not Monroe,of course...

BUT, I cook mine on the top rack, fat down, no rack, no pizza stone. Direct
heat. This is on a K5.
I got 2 sisters and a sister-in-law FSU, but the brother married to the SIL
is a U of F. I hope I never see *those* colors in any of my Kamados. <eg>

BOB

Jack-Curry

BOB wrote:
> Cuchulain Libby typed:
>> <hillkwaj> wrote
>>> No need to flip it in the K and no need for the extra rack - just
>>> put it directly on the upper grill -

>> I was suggesting he cook it fat side down, but then I cook my
>> briskets hotter than most. Fat *towards* the heat source, like in a
>> K cooked direct, will protect the meat.
>>
>> -Hound

> I agree with Hound's fat *towards* the heat, direct heat (no heat
> deflector) especially in a K. Nice juicy almost pullable brisket.
> (Where *did* I get the idea?) <vbg>
> I have been known to cook the brisket on the upper rack, with other
> things on the main grill. This way, the brisket is closer to the
> radient heat of the dome and a few inches further away from the fire.
>
> BOB

Likewise, BOB. Upper rack, FSD, no heat deflector. I'm gonna corn a
brisket and smoke it in the next week or so, for a whole new taste sensation
on the K. Just bought one a them BBQGurus, too (kinda embarrassed about
that, but I like to sleep through the night) and the thing has been getting
rave reviews on the K Forum.
Jack Curry

James Pullen

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 17:13:10 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:

>Cuchulain Libby typed:
>> <hillkwaj> wrote
>>> No need to flip it in the K and no need for the extra rack - just put it
>>> directly on the upper grill -

>> I was suggesting he cook it fat side down, but then I cook my briskets
>> hotter than most. Fat *towards* the heat source, like in a K cooked direct,
>> will protect the meat.
>>
>> -Hound

>I agree with Hound's fat *towards* the heat, direct heat (no heat deflector)
>especially in a K. Nice juicy almost pullable brisket. (Where *did* I get
>the idea?) <vbg>
>I have been known to cook the brisket on the upper rack, with other things on
>the main grill. This way, the brisket is closer to the radient heat of the
>dome and a few inches further away from the fire.
>
>BOB

Just to throw my 2 centavos in here. I always put the fat cap UP when
I do a brisket and use indirect heat. Moist, juicy, tender, nice smoke
ring and no left overs.

I'm using a "Char-Griller," put the brisket in the middle with a deep
9"x13" foil pan under for a drip pan. Have same size pans on each side
with the bottoms cut out to keep the coals from spreading all over the
place.

Works for me.

Jim

Remove NOSPAM to email
Monroe, of course...

In article >, "JakBQuik"
> wrote:

> Hey atcha Monroe--
>
> D'you make your brisket on direct heat or , like I do, with the V rack
> sitting on a pizza stone, indirectly, ( I'm a FSU guy so far)?
>
> John in Austin

I haven't tried a direct brisket yet. I use the top rack of my K
and`two 9" cake pans for drip pans/deflectors. I've had drippy
briskets put my fire out before. I would say that's indirect, though
kinda sloppy indirect.
Where did you find a v rack that'd hold a brisket? A 14 or 15 pounder
would be rough to fit...

monroe(FSD whoopee whee)

I just don't get brisket Janet Bostwick General Cooking 71 15-10-2014 04:51 PM
Brisket .... how to? Skyhooks General Cooking 52 28-06-2007 02:50 AM
Odd brisket swibirun Barbecue 7 03-03-2007 07:20 PM
Brisket cut? Nancy Young General Cooking 5 14-09-2006 05:41 PM
Brisket versus brisket Edwin Pawlowski Barbecue 6 06-08-2005 12:50 AM