Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default kingsfordcompetition charcaol

I did a couple of butts and a few racks of ribs on the smoker Saturday.
I started out using Kingsford competition. It performed miserably. My
normal temp with lump is 235*F using lump (its the temp my duo just likes to
be at and I don't fight it). I couldn't get the Kingsford to bring my grate
temp above 210*F. Luckily I had some lump on hand to get the cook going
better. the smoke went long and I didn't even get to pull it before I had
to call it quits for the night.

I have used the regular Kingsford briquettes in my rig without
incident, probably used a little more then I normally would if I used lump.
IMHO, I am very disappointed in the competition stuff from Kingsford. I
would give it 1 out of 5 stars.

Kingsford Competition Briquettes = * out of ***** stars.

Joseph

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Joseph" > wrote in message

> I did a couple of butts and a few racks of ribs on the smoker
> Saturday. I started out using Kingsford competition. It performed
> miserably. My normal temp with lump is 235*F using lump (its the
> temp my duo just likes to be at and I don't fight it). I couldn't
> get the Kingsford to bring my grate temp above 210*F. Luckily I
> had some lump on hand to get the cook going better. the smoke
> went long and I didn't even get to pull it before I had to call it
> quits for the night.
>
> I have used the regular Kingsford briquettes in my rig without
> incident, probably used a little more then I normally would if I
> used lump. IMHO, I am very disappointed in the competition stuff
> from Kingsford. I would give it 1 out of 5 stars.
>
> Kingsford Competition Briquettes = * out of ***** stars.
>
> Joseph

Three or four months ago, I read how briquettes were made. I just
looked on the internet for the article today but couldn't find it.

I suppose each manufacturer uses a different formula - no company
was named in the article, but probably the procedures are similar.

I haven't used charcoal in years (probably fifty years), and from
what I read, I wouldn't use it now. I am not talking about lump
here - which is real wood charcoal - I am talking briquettes.

They use some regular wood made into charcoal in the normal way, but
then grind it into a powder. They also use saw dust and wood chips
from mills and factories. These are not made into charcoal,
presumably because they would probably burn up quickly. The saw
dust and chips are mixed with the ground charcoal. Paraffin, and
heavy petroleum products are added to the mix, and finally,
additional coloring and an adhesive (glue) to hold the briquette
together. This mixture is molded into briquettes, dried, bagged,
and shipped.

No doubt, the formula vary from brand to brand, but the procedures
are probably similar.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Joseph wrote:
> I did a couple of butts and a few racks of ribs on the smoker
> Saturday. I started out using Kingsford competition. It performed
> miserably. My normal temp with lump is 235*F using lump (its the
> temp my duo just likes to be at and I don't fight it). I couldn't
> get the Kingsford to bring my grate temp above 210*F. Luckily I had
> some lump on hand to get the cook going better. the smoke went long
> and I didn't even get to pull it before I had to call it quits for
> the night.
> I have used the regular Kingsford briquettes in my rig without
> incident, probably used a little more then I normally would if I used
> lump. IMHO, I am very disappointed in the competition stuff from
> Kingsford. I would give it 1 out of 5 stars.
>
> Kingsford Competition Briquettes = * out of ***** stars.

The Naked Wiz (sort of the 'go-to' web site for reviewing bbq and grilling
fuel) did a review of those same briquettes.
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productrevi...ompetition.htm
--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 23, 11:16*am, "Joseph" > wrote:
> * * *I did a couple of butts and a few racks of ribs on the smoker Saturday.
> I started out using Kingsford competition. *It performed miserably. *My
> normal temp with lump is 235*F using lump (its the temp my duo just likes to
> be at and I don't fight it). *I couldn't get the Kingsford to bring my grate
> temp above 210*F.

The Kingsford Comp always runs too hot for me.

Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Joseph wrote:
>> I did a couple of butts and a few racks of ribs on the smoker
>> Saturday. I started out using Kingsford competition. It performed
>> miserably. My normal temp with lump is 235*F using lump (its the
>> temp my duo just likes to be at and I don't fight it). I couldn't
>> get the Kingsford to bring my grate temp above 210*F. Luckily I had
>> some lump on hand to get the cook going better. the smoke went long
>> and I didn't even get to pull it before I had to call it quits for
>> the night.
>> I have used the regular Kingsford briquettes in my rig without
>> incident, probably used a little more then I normally would if I used
>> lump. IMHO, I am very disappointed in the competition stuff from
>> Kingsford. I would give it 1 out of 5 stars.
>>
>> Kingsford Competition Briquettes = * out of ***** stars.

> The Naked Wiz (sort of the 'go-to' web site for reviewing bbq and grilling
> fuel) did a review of those same briquettes.
> http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productrevi...ompetition.htm

Thanks Dave, interesting review. In all fairness i am comparing a
briquette to lump, which may be unfair, but they promote the briquettes as
competition and for that i think most use lump. I know a lot of the wsm
guys use briquettes though.

Joseph

> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bob-tx" > wrote in message

> "Joseph" > wrote in message
>>
>> I did a couple of butts and a few racks of ribs on the smoker
>> Saturday. I started out using Kingsford competition. It performed
>> miserably. My normal temp with lump is 235*F using lump (its the temp my
>> duo just likes to be at and I don't fight it). I couldn't get the
>> Kingsford to bring my grate temp above 210*F. Luckily I had some lump on
>> hand to get the cook going better. the smoke went long and I didn't even
>> get to pull it before I had to call it quits for the night.
>>
>> I have used the regular Kingsford briquettes in my rig without
>> incident, probably used a little more then I normally would if I used
>> lump. IMHO, I am very disappointed in the competition stuff from
>> Kingsford. I would give it 1 out of 5 stars.
>>
>> Kingsford Competition Briquettes = * out of ***** stars.
>>
>> Joseph

> Three or four months ago, I read how briquettes were made. I just looked
> on the internet for the article today but couldn't find it.
>
> I suppose each manufacturer uses a different formula - no company was
> named in the article, but probably the procedures are similar.
>
> I haven't used charcoal in years (probably fifty years), and from what I
> read, I wouldn't use it now. I am not talking about lump here - which is
> real wood charcoal - I am talking briquettes.
>
> They use some regular wood made into charcoal in the normal way, but then
> grind it into a powder. They also use saw dust and wood chips from mills
> and factories. These are not made into charcoal, presumably because they
> would probably burn up quickly. The saw dust and chips are mixed with the
> ground charcoal. Paraffin, and heavy petroleum products are added to the
> mix, and finally, additional coloring and an adhesive (glue) to hold the
> briquette together. This mixture is molded into briquettes, dried,
> bagged, and shipped.
>
> No doubt, the formula vary from brand to brand, but the procedures are
> probably similar.
>
> Bob-tx

I couldn't agree more Bob. Not a fan of briquettes either, but will
use them on occasion. Noting the superior performance of lump charcoal I
can't see any reason to use briquettes at all.

Joseph

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dana K6JQ" > wrote in message
On Aug 23, 11:16 am, "Joseph" > wrote:
> I did a couple of butts and a few racks of ribs on the smoker Saturday.
> I started out using Kingsford competition. It performed miserably. My
> normal temp with lump is 235*F using lump (its the temp my duo just likes
> be at and I don't fight it). I couldn't get the Kingsford to bring my
> grate
> temp above 210*F.

The Kingsford Comp always runs too hot for me.

Dana
--

As i said in earlier post i was comparing it to lump which may have
been alittle unfair. It did not perform well in my COS w/mods.

Joseph