Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Edenton Hogfest this Friday/Saturday

If you're in Edenton, NC this weekend, please be sure to come over and
say hello;
I'm cooking with the Captain's Quarters team at the Hogfest.

Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dana wrote:
> If you're in Edenton, NC this weekend, please be sure to come over and
> say hello;
> I'm cooking with the Captain's Quarters team at the Hogfest.
>
> Dana

Will see you there. Good Luck!!!

It is suppose to be a nice weekend. Right now we are having showers everyday
through Thursday.

Chris
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dana wrote:
> If you're in Edenton, NC this weekend, please be sure to come over and
> say hello;
> I'm cooking with the Captain's Quarters team at the Hogfest.
>
> Dana

Mrs. Nonny and I are going to be in Raleigh for the NC Wesleyan
graduation this weekend, but doubt if we'll have the time to come over.
We have several friends from Edenton, and it'd be a lot of fun and I'm
sure some mighty fine eating. IMHO the area between Edenton and
Greenville is the epicenter of pulled pork. In fact, ECU had pig pits in
front of the library at one time. I don't know if they still do, but
the pig pits sure produced some good food back when our son went there.

--
Nonny
If you think health care is expensive now,

- P.J. O'Rourke
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 4, 2:11*pm, Chris > wrote:
> Dana wrote:
> > If you're inEdenton, NC this weekend, please be sure to come over and
> > say hello;
> > I'm cooking with the Captain's Quarters team at the Hogfest.

> > Dana

> Will see you there. Good Luck!!!
>
> It is suppose to be a nice weekend. Right now we are having showers everyday
> through Thursday.
>
> Chris

The rain stopped, the sun shined, though it was a bit windy, and we
had a
great time at the Edenton Hogfest. I was especially pleased to meet
Chris and his family, though I didn't get a chance to chat as much as
would have liked as we were getting turn-in ready.

It was quite an experience to compete with some of the big dogs
from KCBS - really enjoyed it.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dana K6JQ wrote:
> On May 4, 2:11 pm, Chris > wrote:
>> Dana wrote:
>>> If you're inEdenton, NC this weekend, please be sure to come over and
>>> say hello;
>>> I'm cooking with the Captain's Quarters team at the Hogfest.
>>> Dana

>> Will see you there. Good Luck!!!
>>
>> It is suppose to be a nice weekend. Right now we are having showers everyday
>> through Thursday.
>>
>> Chris

> The rain stopped, the sun shined, though it was a bit windy, and we
> had a
> great time at the Edenton Hogfest. I was especially pleased to meet
> Chris and his family, though I didn't get a chance to chat as much as
> would have liked as we were getting turn-in ready.
>
> It was quite an experience to compete with some of the big dogs
> from KCBS - really enjoyed it.
>
> Dana

It was nice to meet you as well. How did you guys make out?

I am seriously thinking about entering next year. Already talked to my neighbor.
We will see what happens.

Chris

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 10, 10:28*am, Chris > wrote:

> > The rain stopped, the sun shined, though it was a bit windy, and we
> > had a
> > great time at the EdentonHogfest. *I was especially pleased to meet
> > Chris and his family, though I didn't get a chance to chat as much as
> > would have liked as we were getting turn-in ready.

> > It was quite an experience to compete with some of the big dogs
> > from KCBS - really enjoyed it.

> > Dana

> It was nice to meet you as well. How did you guys make out?

We need to work on our pork butt :-)
Chicken placed 7th.
Ribs placed with the pros, 5th place and a ribbon.
Brisket took 3rd-place and a trophy. We were pleasantly surprised.

KCBS sanction brought out some "big dog" pros, including KCBS Team of
the
Year 2007 Cool Smoke, and it was really rewarding to hold our own and
get
called-up a couple of times at awards. There were something like 7
pro teams
in the field of 22 teams total.

> I am seriously thinking about entering next year. Already talked to my neighbor.
> We will see what happens.

I whole-heartedly recommend it, if you can swing it. A great group of
regulars
and the contest was pretty well-run this year.

Cheers,
Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dana K6JQ" wrote...

We need to work on our pork butt :-)
Chicken placed 7th.
Ribs placed with the pros, 5th place and a ribbon.
Brisket took 3rd-place and a trophy. We were pleasantly surprised.

KCBS sanction brought out some "big dog" pros, including KCBS Team of
the
Year 2007 Cool Smoke, and it was really rewarding to hold our own and
get
called-up a couple of times at awards. There were something like 7
pro teams
in the field of 22 teams total.

> I am seriously thinking about entering next year. Already talked to my
> neighbor.
> We will see what happens.

I whole-heartedly recommend it, if you can swing it. A great group of
regulars
and the contest was pretty well-run this year.

Cheers,
Dana

Full results are he
http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?id=1811

Congratulations! That's a real good showing against those guys. Not to
take anything away from your placing, but Tuffy (Cool Smoke) just recently
opened a new restaurant called "Q" and hasn't been competing as much this
year. He's still cooking BBQ every day though. http://www.qbarbeque.com/

Don't change a thing in your brisket and ribs

On a side note, the top 3 were all using Jambo pits (by Jamie Geer). You
have to be serious to buy one of those. http://jambopits.com/Home_Page.php

Again, congratulations on your fine finish.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 4 May 2009 13:55:54 -0700 (PDT), Dana wrote:

> If you're in Edenton, NC this weekend, please be sure to come over and
> say hello;

Why else would I be in Edenton, NC (Population 4,992)? I've never
even heard of it ;-)

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dana K6JQ wrote:
> On May 10, 10:28 am, Chris > wrote:
>
>>> The rain stopped, the sun shined, though it was a bit windy, and we
>>> had a
>>> great time at the EdentonHogfest. I was especially pleased to meet
>>> Chris and his family, though I didn't get a chance to chat as much as
>>> would have liked as we were getting turn-in ready.
>>> It was quite an experience to compete with some of the big dogs
>>> from KCBS - really enjoyed it.
>>> Dana

>> It was nice to meet you as well. How did you guys make out?

> We need to work on our pork butt :-)
> Chicken placed 7th.
> Ribs placed with the pros, 5th place and a ribbon.
> Brisket took 3rd-place and a trophy. We were pleasantly surprised.
>
> KCBS sanction brought out some "big dog" pros, including KCBS Team of
> the
> Year 2007 Cool Smoke, and it was really rewarding to hold our own and
> get
> called-up a couple of times at awards. There were something like 7
> pro teams
> in the field of 22 teams total.
>
>> I am seriously thinking about entering next year. Already talked to my neighbor.
>> We will see what happens.

> I whole-heartedly recommend it, if you can swing it. A great group of
> regulars
> and the contest was pretty well-run this year.
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

Congrats!!! By the way your ribs were great.

Chris
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 10, 6:23*pm, " BOB" > wrote:

Hey Bob,

> Full results are hehttp://www.kcbs.us/events.php?id=1811

It's nice to see how quickly the results were posted. The KCBS seems
to be
using the internet really effectively.

> Congratulations! *That's a real good showing against those guys. *Not to
> take anything away from your placing, but Tuffy (Cool Smoke) just recently
> opened a new restaurant called "Q" and hasn't been competing as much this
> year. *He's still cooking BBQ every day though. *http://www.qbarbeque..com/

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have a chance to get to Richmond
before leaving
the region - I'd like to, though.

> Don't change a thing in your brisket and ribs

Thanks! We really enjoyed ourselves; have been doing the Hogfest
since it
started with 7 local teams in 2007, now it's KCBS-sanctioned and drew
22
teams (plus another 4 just cooking whole-hog). Next contest, I'm
going to need
to bring some DVDs and watch them on my computer - at this point,
keeping an
eye on the cookers is like watching paint dry :-)

> On a side note, the top 3 were all using Jambo pits (by Jamie Geer). *You
> have to be serious to buy one of those.http://jambopits.com/Home_Page.php

Those pits are something else. I dare not even ask what they cost :-)
I'm still cooking mostly in a WSM + DigiQ.

> Again, congratulations on your fine finish.

Thank you kindly. While I don't get on a.f.b. as much as I
used to, I learned a great deal here.

Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 10, 6:43*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 4 May 2009 13:55:54 -0700 (PDT), Dana wrote:
> > If you're inEdenton, NC this weekend, please be sure to come over and
> > say hello;

> Why else would I be inEdenton, NC (Population 4,992)? *I've never
> even heard of it ;-)

I'd never heard of it until I had friends move there, it's sure a
pretty little
Colonial port town. Nice place to visit and unwind, and 'cue a
little.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 11, 5:03*am, Chris > wrote:

> Congrats!!! By the way your ribs were great.

Thanks - it'll be nice to see you at the Hogfest next year.

Dana