FoodBanter.com

-   -   Best method for re-heating ribs ? (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/169977-best-method-re-heating.html)

Matt[_10_] 24-03-2009 01:06 PM

Best method for re-heating ribs ?

What is the best method of reheating ribs?

thanks,

Matt

Pete C. 24-03-2009 01:40 PM

Matt wrote:

> What is the best method of reheating ribs?
>
> thanks,
>
> Matt

Reheating as in "from the refrigerator" would be in the oven wrapped in
foil. Defrost / reheat as in "from the freezer" would be boil in the
foodsave vac bag they were frozen in.

Matt[_10_] 24-03-2009 02:04 PM

Best method for re-heating ribs ?

"Pete C." > wrote in message
ster.com...

> Matt wrote:
>>
>> What is the best method of reheating ribs?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Matt

> Reheating as in "from the refrigerator" would be in the oven wrapped in
> foil. Defrost / reheat as in "from the freezer" would be boil in the
> foodsave vac bag they were frozen in.

Thank you!

A method of re-heating ribs from the fridge is what I was looking for. So I
will try out the foil/oven method. Any particular temp/time I should be
aiming for?

Never thought about boiling in a food saver bag. That is how I re-heat
pulled pork from the freezer, but it never occured to me to use the same
method on ribs. duh!

again, thank you!

Matt

Pete C. 24-03-2009 02:17 PM

Matt wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> ster.com...
> >
> > Matt wrote:
> >>
> >> What is the best method of reheating ribs?
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >>
> >> Matt

> > Reheating as in "from the refrigerator" would be in the oven wrapped in
> > foil. Defrost / reheat as in "from the freezer" would be boil in the
> > foodsave vac bag they were frozen in.

> Thank you!
>
> A method of re-heating ribs from the fridge is what I was looking for. So I
> will try out the foil/oven method. Any particular temp/time I should be
> aiming for?

Nothing in particular for time/temp, just low enough temp that you don't
start to re-cook the outside before the inside is up to temp. Perhaps
~200 degrees for 15min as a starting point.

> Never thought about boiling in a food saver bag. That is how I re-heat
> pulled pork from the freezer, but it never occured to me to use the same
> method on ribs. duh!

It also works for brisket. I vac bag 4 or 5 slices of brisket, fanned
out to provide more surface area / less thickness and they boil in bag
well too.

Steve Calvin 24-03-2009 09:51 PM

Matt wrote:
> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> ster.com...
>> Matt wrote:
>>> What is the best method of reheating ribs?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Matt

>> Reheating as in "from the refrigerator" would be in the oven wrapped in
>> foil. Defrost / reheat as in "from the freezer" would be boil in the
>> foodsave vac bag they were frozen in.

> Thank you!
>
> A method of re-heating ribs from the fridge is what I was looking for. So I
> will try out the foil/oven method. Any particular temp/time I should be
> aiming for?
>
> Never thought about boiling in a food saver bag. That is how I re-heat
> pulled pork from the freezer, but it never occured to me to use the same
> method on ribs. duh!
>
> again, thank you!
>
> Matt

I'd remove from fridge. Vac. seal them as should have been done in the
first place. ;-) and then re-heat on slightly boiling water - the only
way...

Brick[_3_] 24-03-2009 10:08 PM

On 24-Mar-2009, "Pete C." > wrote:

> Matt wrote:
> >
> > What is the best method of reheating ribs?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Matt

> Reheating as in "from the refrigerator" would be in the oven wrapped in
> foil. Defrost / reheat as in "from the freezer" would be boil in the
> foodsave vac bag they were frozen in.

What Pete said! And I've reheated a lot of 'Q'. If it's never been
frozen, then foil wrapped in a moderate oven is a good way to go. I'd
go for 275° to 325°F and take them off as soon as they're hot enough
to suit you. I wouldn't bother to vac pack and then boil as the result
is essentially the same. ( I have reheated unfrozen ribs in foil and I have
reheated frozen ribs in vac pack. They are essentially the same at the
table). We had brisket last week from frozen vac pack. Unlike others
I freeze brisket one half inch slab to a bag (6" X 8", 3 Mil bag). I
thaw by placing in a pot with cold water and bringing to a boil. As
soon as the bag begins to expand, I take it off and call it ready.)

If you're serving friends, a decent bar will virtually insulate you from
any evil feedback about your 'Q'.

--
Brick(Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.)

Sqwertz 24-03-2009 11:43 PM

Steve Calvin > wrote:

> I'd remove from fridge. Vac. seal them as should have been done in the
> first place. ;-) and then re-heat on slightly boiling water - the only
> way...

I reheat ribs, wrapped tightly in foil, in the toaster oven at about
275F and they come out just fine. I can't see any advantage (only
disadvantages) over vac-sealing them just to reheat them.

-sw

Steve Calvin 25-03-2009 12:14 AM

Sqwertz wrote:
> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>
>> I'd remove from fridge. Vac. seal them as should have been done in the
>> first place. ;-) and then re-heat on slightly boiling water - the only
>> way...

> I reheat ribs, wrapped tightly in foil, in the toaster oven at about
> 275F and they come out just fine. I can't see any advantage (only
> disadvantages) over vac-sealing them just to reheat them.
>
> -sw

Like you, just trying to start a new breed of arguments. ;-)

I don't any advantage to v. sealing honestly unless they're going to be
frozen. Then I'll honestly say that v. sealing is really the best way to
go.

Sqwertz 25-03-2009 12:38 AM

Steve Calvin > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>>
>>> I'd remove from fridge. Vac. seal them as should have been done in the
>>> first place. ;-) and then re-heat on slightly boiling water - the only
>>> way...

>> I reheat ribs, wrapped tightly in foil, in the toaster oven at about
>> 275F and they come out just fine. I can't see any advantage (only
>> disadvantages) over vac-sealing them just to reheat them.

> Like you, just trying to start a new breed of arguments. ;-)
>
> I don't any advantage to v. sealing honestly unless they're going to be
> frozen. Then I'll honestly say that v. sealing is really the best way to
> go.

Anything but the microwave, even on low power just to warm them.
Microwaves to weird things to any smoked meat.

-sw

Brick[_3_] 25-03-2009 06:17 AM

On 24-Mar-2009, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>
> > I'd remove from fridge. Vac. seal them as should have been done in the
> > first place. ;-) and then re-heat on slightly boiling water - the
> > only
> > way...

> I reheat ribs, wrapped tightly in foil, in the toaster oven at about
> 275F and they come out just fine. I can't see any advantage (only
> disadvantages) over vac-sealing them just to reheat them.
>
> -sw

I can't argue with that Sqwertz. I posted pretty much the same thing
here someplace. I haven't seen it yet though.

--
Brick(Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.)

Brick[_3_] 25-03-2009 06:20 AM

On 24-Mar-2009, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> >> I reheat ribs, wrapped tightly in foil, in the toaster oven at about
> >> 275F and they come out just fine. I can't see any advantage (only
> >> disadvantages) over vac-sealing them just to reheat them.

> > Like you, just trying to start a new breed of arguments. ;-)
> >
> > I don't any advantage to v. sealing honestly unless they're going to be
> >
> > frozen. Then I'll honestly say that v. sealing is really the best way
> > go.

> Anything but the microwave, even on low power just to warm them.
> Microwaves to weird things to any smoked meat.
>
> -sw

Ditto what Steve said, but I confess that I do it sometimes anyhow.
I've been known to use some sauce to control the drying effect
from the microwave. I will not defend the method.

--
Brick(Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.)

Skindog 05-04-2009 05:04 PM

Best method for re-heating ribs ?

"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 24-Mar-2009, "Pete C." > wrote:
>
>> Matt wrote:
>> >
>> > What is the best method of reheating ribs?
>> >
>> > thanks,
>> >
>> > Matt

>> Reheating as in "from the refrigerator" would be in the oven wrapped in
>> foil. Defrost / reheat as in "from the freezer" would be boil in the
>> foodsave vac bag they were frozen in.

> What Pete said! And I've reheated a lot of 'Q'. If it's never been
> frozen, then foil wrapped in a moderate oven is a good way to go. I'd
> go for 275° to 325°F and take them off as soon as they're hot enough
> to suit you. I wouldn't bother to vac pack and then boil as the result
> is essentially the same. ( I have reheated unfrozen ribs in foil and I have
> reheated frozen ribs in vac pack. They are essentially the same at the
> table). We had brisket last week from frozen vac pack. Unlike others
> I freeze brisket one half inch slab to a bag (6" X 8", 3 Mil bag). I
> thaw by placing in a pot with cold water and bringing to a boil. As
> soon as the bag begins to expand, I take it off and call it ready.)
>
> If you're serving friends, a decent bar will virtually insulate you from
> any evil feedback about your 'Q'.
>
> --
> Brick(Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.)

We never have leftovers from ribs!!!

Steve Calvin 05-04-2009 07:44 PM

Skindog wrote:
> We never have leftovers from ribs!!!

If that's truly the case, then I suggest that you aren't making enough.

If there are no leftovers of any dinner, chances are that someone wanted
more.

Absolutely no way anyone's leaving a meal I made wanting more to eat.

--
Steve

Duwop[_2_] 06-04-2009 05:17 AM

On Apr 5, 11:44*am, Steve Calvin > wrote:
> Skindog wrote:
> > We never have leftovers from ribs!!!

> If that's truly the case, then I suggest that you aren't making enough.
>
> If there are no leftovers of any dinner, chances are that someone wanted
> more.
>
> Absolutely no way anyone's leaving a meal I made wanting more to eat.
>
> --
> Steve

Heh, yep!