Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Good knives

My soon-to-be SIL just gave me his Xmas list: "a good vegetable
knife".

He LIKES my knives (Japanese-style, from the JapanWoodworker) (usual
disclaimers)..... but they're a bit price ($70-$80 each).

Anybody have a source a knives with reasonable quality and value (i.e.
a little or a lot cheaper).

Thanks a heap, as always,
-Zz
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Zz Yzx" > wrote in message
> My soon-to-be SIL just gave me his Xmas list: "a good vegetable
> knife".
>
> He LIKES my knives (Japanese-style, from the JapanWoodworker) (usual
> disclaimers)..... but they're a bit price ($70-$80 each).
>
> Anybody have a source a knives with reasonable quality and value (i.e.
> a little or a lot cheaper).
>
> Thanks a heap, as always,
> -Zz

I like the Furi knives
http://www.novon.com/furi_cooks_knife_8.html

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Zz, check out this link, and I think you will get a good look at some
of the brands and what to look for, but also a pleasant surprise at
the extremely low cost of their best buy:

<http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/129/Chefs-Knives-Rated>

Just in case it munged:

http://tinyurl.com/3zewch

I have used a couple of Forschner knives out of that line, and they
are a delight. They hold an edge well and are easy to sharpen. Note
too, that they also say that it was a Cook's Illustrated favorite
knife as well.

When I go somewhere outside the home and I require a competent chef's
knife, I take the one I bought at the restaurant supply house. It is
a 10" Russel brand, the kind they use "on the line" in busy
restaurants. They are sturdy, easy to clean, don't rust, and easy to
sharpen and hold a respectable edge. I think it was about $25 7 - 8
years ago at the supply house.

It is this one:

<https://www.dexter1818.com/Item_Details_1.asp?id=9402&line=SS>

here, too:

http://tinyurl.com/3kmhej

Those are directly from Dexter, and their product can be found a
little bit cheaper at the restaurant supply houses.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Zz Yzx > wrote:

> My soon-to-be SIL just gave me his Xmas list: "a good vegetable
> knife".
>
> He LIKES my knives (Japanese-style, from the JapanWoodworker) (usual
> disclaimers)..... but they're a bit price ($70-$80 each).
>
> Anybody have a source a knives with reasonable quality and value (i.e.
> a little or a lot cheaper).
>
> Thanks a heap, as always,
> -Zz

I love my $20 7" Henckles Santoku knife I got from Target, of all
places. I have all sorts of 4 and 5 star forged Henckles, but this
cheap, stamped ******* is my go-to knife for 90% of my work.

-sw
-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In alt.food.barbecue, Zz Yzx > wrote:

> Anybody have a source a knives with reasonable quality and value (i.e.
> a little or a lot cheaper).

If your s-t-b SIL is willing to touch up the edge occasionally, check out
Chicago Cutlery.

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Zz Yzx wrote:
> My soon-to-be SIL just gave me his Xmas list: "a good vegetable
> knife".
>
> He LIKES my knives (Japanese-style, from the JapanWoodworker) (usual
> disclaimers)..... but they're a bit price ($70-$80 each).
>
> Anybody have a source a knives with reasonable quality and value (i.e.
> a little or a lot cheaper).
>
> Thanks a heap, as always,
> -Zz

Where do you live?

Get thee to an Ace mart, or Superior food service store.

Professional chef's knives can be had for about $30.00

http://tinyurl.com/6f9pdn

Note the ugly plastic handles? (That's because the money was put into
the blade.)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
> Zz, check out this link, and I think you will get a good look at some
> of the brands and what to look for, but also a pleasant surprise at
> the extremely low cost of their best buy:
>
> <http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/129/Chefs-Knives-Rated>
>
> Just in case it munged:

http://tinyurl.com/3zewch

> I have used a couple of Forschner knives out of that line, and they
> are a delight. They hold an edge well and are easy to sharpen. Note
> too, that they also say that it was a Cook's Illustrated favorite
> knife as well.

I love Forschner knives. I have several different types. I usually buy
them from he http://www.cutleryandmore.com/

I've been dealing with this company for about 8 years. Always ship on
time and they are good about returns, though I have only had one return
and it was my own fault. They have a great free-shipping policy, too.

My latest purchase came yesterday, a new Cuisinart toaster oven. They
were the best price on the net.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> Zz Yzx > wrote:
>
> > My soon-to-be SIL just gave me his Xmas list: "a good vegetable
> > knife".
> >
> > He LIKES my knives (Japanese-style, from the JapanWoodworker) (usual
> > disclaimers)..... but they're a bit price ($70-$80 each).
> >
> > Anybody have a source a knives with reasonable quality and value (i.e.
> > a little or a lot cheaper).
> >
> > Thanks a heap, as always,
> > -Zz

> I love my $20 7" Henckles Santoku knife I got from Target, of all
> places. I have all sorts of 4 and 5 star forged Henckles, but this
> cheap, stamped ******* is my go-to knife for 90% of my work.
>
> -sw
> -sw

Sam's club has Tramontina brand 7" Santoku style knives made in Brazil
and claiming German steel, for something around $15 for a 2 pack. I've
been quite happy with them.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Sky Sky is offline

Pete C. wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > Zz Yzx > wrote:
> >
> > > My soon-to-be SIL just gave me his Xmas list: "a good vegetable
> > > knife".
> > >
> > > He LIKES my knives (Japanese-style, from the JapanWoodworker) (usual
> > > disclaimers)..... but they're a bit price ($70-$80 each).
> > >
> > > Anybody have a source a knives with reasonable quality and value (i.e.
> > > a little or a lot cheaper).
> > >
> > > Thanks a heap, as always,
> > > -Zz

> > I love my $20 7" Henckles Santoku knife I got from Target, of all
> > places. I have all sorts of 4 and 5 star forged Henckles, but this
> > cheap, stamped ******* is my go-to knife for 90% of my work.
> >
> > -sw
> > -sw

> Sam's club has Tramontina brand 7" Santoku style knives made in Brazil
> and claiming German steel, for something around $15 for a 2 pack. I've
> been quite happy with them.

I'll ditto about the Tramontina 7" Santoky style knives from Sam's. I
bought the very same 2-pack some months ago, and they work well. And
the best part is/was, the price was more than reasonable.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

We have a good knife set that is kept by the cooktop in the kitchen.
However, a couple years back I had one of my better ideas and thought it
might be of interest to some. First of all, I bought a couple ceramic
knives. One is a 4" and the other a 7" (roughly) that are made of black
Zirconia <sp> and have black plastic handles. These dudes are tough,
sharp as can be, do not blacken potatoes. avocados or lettuce, and stay
sharp longer than any other knife I have. They're also fine to toss
into the dishwasher, based on my own use and experience.

Prices vary all over the place for the black (and also white) ceramic
knives, and from my own experience, price and quality are not linked- a
ceramic knife is a ceramic knife is a ceramic knife. The only variable
is that a black one is a tad harder than a white one.

I use my two for almost all prep, nowadays, except for when I grab my
Japanese vegetable knife for more orderly thin slicing onions, for
example.

One little "trick" I have is that I made a granite knife holder that
matches our counter top and sized it to fit the two knives. It's small,
glued down and therefore always right where I want it to be. It's on
the upper part of a 2-level counter top, right by the kitchen sink where
I do most prep work. I made it using granite tile (matches the granite
slab counter tops) that was presliced to about 3/8" thick. I cut the
pieces out, then cut and glued in a rubber insert (cut to the shape of
the two knife blades) to actually hold the knives. That way, the blades
never contact the granite itself. All is held together with PL400 adhesive.

I've also read and been told that you can't sharpen a ceramic knife.
That's not been my experience. A few months back, I noticed that my
smaller knife had reached the point where it wouldn't shave hair on my
arm, so I got out my diamond sharpening pads and proceeded to see if I
could improve the edge. What I found was that while you sharpen a steel
knife by "cutting" the surface of a steel or hone with it, I got better
sharpening of the ceramic knife by dragging it along the diamond surface
backwards. I also have a diamond "steel" I use to hone my regular
knives and by dragging the ceramic knife backwards on it, I got it
quickly to its original sharpness.
--
Nonnymus-

Suppose you were an idiot.
And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.

-Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18-Dec-2008, Zz Yzx > wrote:

> My soon-to-be SIL just gave me his Xmas list: "a good vegetable
> knife".
>
> He LIKES my knives (Japanese-style, from the JapanWoodworker) (usual
> disclaimers)..... but they're a bit price ($70-$80 each).
>
> Anybody have a source a knives with reasonable quality and value (i.e.
> a little or a lot cheaper).
>
> Thanks a heap, as always,
> -Zz

I get mine at my local Vietnamese grocery store for less then US$5.00. I
give them as gifts to everybody I can think of. You ain't getting mine. I
use
it two or three times every day. If you can't find one, send me a snaily
and
I'll send you one. Mine are Kiwi brand, made in Thailand. The come in all
sizes.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 19-Dec-2008, " > wrote:

> Zz, check out this link, and I think you will get a good look at some
> of the brands and what to look for, but also a pleasant surprise at
> the extremely low cost of their best buy:
>
> <http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/129/Chefs-Knives-Rated>
>
> Just in case it munged:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3zewch
>
> I have used a couple of Forschner knives out of that line, and they
> are a delight. They hold an edge well and are easy to sharpen. Note
> too, that they also say that it was a Cook's Illustrated favorite
> knife as well.
>
> When I go somewhere outside the home and I require a competent chef's
> knife, I take the one I bought at the restaurant supply house. It is
> a 10" Russel brand, the kind they use "on the line" in busy
> restaurants. They are sturdy, easy to clean, don't rust, and easy to
> sharpen and hold a respectable edge. I think it was about $25 7 - 8
> years ago at the supply house.
>
> It is this one:
>
> <https://www.dexter1818.com/Item_Details_1.asp?id=9402&line=SS>
>
> here, too:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3kmhej
>
> Those are directly from Dexter, and their product can be found a
> little bit cheaper at the restaurant supply houses.
>
> Robert

I have a 8" Dexter/Russel serrated bread knife. It does what it does. No
complaints. I got it at a restaurant supply house for about $28. I use
a chinese butcher knife mostly, backed by a Henckels Pro Santoku. The
chinese knife is unexcelled for thin slices of onion and tomato. I julienne

vegetables with it for stir-fry on a regular basis. It's very
easy to sharpen and holds its edge well as I'm careful not to abuse it. It
is NOT a heavy duty knife. It is too thin to mess with bones and such. I
favor the santoku as a more rugged knife. I use whichever one is handiest
to mince garlic. They seem about equal for that task. I'm not a wimpy
knife handler. My knife work probably resembles that of Tyler Florence
or Mario Batali. I reduce vegetables to stir-fry size very quickly
including
shoestring julienne cuts in carrot, celery and bok choy. (My mind just
conjured a picture of Mario dissecting chickens. I prefer my 6" Chicago
Cutlery butcher knife for that task). I won't tolerate a dull knife in my
kitchen. My poorest knives easily slice newsprint without tearing and
it goes without saying, they don't hesitate on tomato skin.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 19-Dec-2008, "Pete C." > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > Zz Yzx > wrote:
> >
> > > My soon-to-be SIL just gave me his Xmas list: "a good vegetable
> > > knife".
> > >
> > > He LIKES my knives (Japanese-style, from the JapanWoodworker) (usual
> > > disclaimers)..... but they're a bit price ($70-$80 each).
> > >
> > > Anybody have a source a knives with reasonable quality and value
> > > (i.e.
> > > a little or a lot cheaper).
> > >
> > > Thanks a heap, as always,
> > > -Zz

> > I love my $20 7" Henckles Santoku knife I got from Target, of all
> > places. I have all sorts of 4 and 5 star forged Henckles, but this
> > cheap, stamped ******* is my go-to knife for 90% of my work.
> >
> > -sw
> > -sw

> Sam's club has Tramontina brand 7" Santoku style knives made in Brazil
> and claiming German steel, for something around $15 for a 2 pack. I've
> been quite happy with them.

Nothing wrong with that Tramontina. I have the 7" Santoku that I stole from

Big Jim. It doesn't feel good in my hand like my Henckels does. The handle
is
too fat or something, so it stays in the drawer. That's why you have to
shop for
knives that feel good to you. If you need two seconds per stroke to cut
some-
thing you may be using the wrong knife (for you).

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 19-Dec-2008, Nick Cramer > wrote:

> wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> > I've also read and been told that you can't sharpen a ceramic knife.
> > That's not been my experience. A few months back, I noticed that my
> > smaller knife had reached the point where it wouldn't shave hair on my
> > arm, so I got out my diamond sharpening pads and proceeded to see if I
> > could improve the edge. What I found was that while you sharpen a
> > steel
> > knife by "cutting" the surface of a steel or hone with it, I got better
> > sharpening of the ceramic knife by dragging it along the diamond
> > surface
> > backwards. I also have a diamond "steel" I use to hone my regular
> > knives and by dragging the ceramic knife backwards on it, I got it
> > quickly to its original sharpness.

> That is extremely valuable info. Thanks.
>
> --
> Nick.

A little basic science explains Nonny's "backwards" experience with
ceramic blades. As steel blades reach their optimum sharpness, the
edge tends to curl. The slicing motion during sharpening cuts the curl
off as fast as it forms. Ceramic knife edges don't curl. When they reach
optimum, they simply break off. My guess is that the ceramic will achieve
a functionally sharper edge using the same abrasive then the steel will.
(Like who gives a shit? Either one will cut your finger off if you screw
up.)
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
** Posted from
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

What about the difference between stainless and high-carbon steel? In my
experience with camping/pocket knives, high-carbon is the only way to go.
Are any of the knives you guys like stainless?

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

John O > wrote:

> What about the difference between stainless and high-carbon steel? In my
> experience with camping/pocket knives, high-carbon is the only way to go.
> Are any of the knives you guys like stainless?

I think all my forged Henckles are stainless steel. I really have
no idea of their carbon content.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"John O" > wrote in message
> What about the difference between stainless and high-carbon steel? In my
> experience with camping/pocket knives, high-carbon is the only way to go.
> Are any of the knives you guys like stainless?
>
> -John O

True stainless is crap, but a high carbon/ss alloy can be very good. There
are many different alloys used in knives from carbon steel that rusts and
marks easily, but takes a good edge, to steel and SS blends that have
differing products as the alloy changes. Full SS is hard to sharpen and
does not cut as well, it makes for a good butter knife.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 19-Dec-2008, "Pete C." > wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>> > I love my $20 7" Henckles Santoku knife I got from Target, of all
>> > places. I have all sorts of 4 and 5 star forged Henckles, but this
>> > cheap, stamped ******* is my go-to knife for 90% of my work.
>> >
>> > -sw
>> > -sw

>> Sam's club has Tramontina brand 7" Santoku style knives made in Brazil
>> and claiming German steel, for something around $15 for a 2 pack. I've
>> been quite happy with them.

> Nothing wrong with that Tramontina. I have the 7" Santoku that I stole
> from
>
> Big Jim. It doesn't feel good in my hand like my Henckels does. The handle
> is
> too fat or something, so it stays in the drawer. That's why you have to
> shop for
> knives that feel good to you. If you need two seconds per stroke to cut
> some-
> thing you may be using the wrong knife (for you).
>
> --
> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Jeez Brick, your blaming me for a knife you stole<g> cause you ain't got
"manly" man hands.
(does that make sense)
Just took a peach pie out of the stretch Weber and got 8 thighs in there
now. Pictures on ABF later.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 19-Dec-2008, "Pete C." > wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I love my $20 7" Henckles Santoku knife I got from Target, of all
>>> places. I have all sorts of 4 and 5 star forged Henckles, but this
>>> cheap, stamped ******* is my go-to knife for 90% of my work.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>> -sw

>> Sam's club has Tramontina brand 7" Santoku style knives made in Brazil
>> and claiming German steel, for something around $15 for a 2 pack. I've
>> been quite happy with them.

> Nothing wrong with that Tramontina. I have the 7" Santoku that I stole from
>
> Big Jim. It doesn't feel good in my hand like my Henckels does. The handle
> is
> too fat or something, so it stays in the drawer. That's why you have to
> shop for
> knives that feel good to you. If you need two seconds per stroke to cut
> some-
> thing you may be using the wrong knife (for you).

If a knife doesn't fit my hand and if it doesn't "heft" well, I can't
use it.

I have asked to hold knives at demonstrations and the hucksters look at
me like I fell from the sky. You are the first person who understands
how important the feel of a knife is to its proper use.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

John O wrote:
> What about the difference between stainless and high-carbon steel? In my
> experience with camping/pocket knives, high-carbon is the only way to go.
> Are any of the knives you guys like stainless?
>
> -John O

There is stainless and there is stainless. My Forschners are stainless
but so are the freebies that came with the trial package of Omaha steaks.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 20-Dec-2008, "Big Jim" > wrote:

> "Brick" > wrote in message
> ster.com...

> >> Sam's club has Tramontina brand 7" Santoku style knives made in Brazil
> >> and claiming German steel, for something around $15 for a 2 pack. I've
> >> been quite happy with them.

> > Nothing wrong with that Tramontina. I have the 7" Santoku that I stole
> > from
> >
> > Big Jim. It doesn't feel good in my hand like my Henckels does. The
> > handle
> > is
> > too fat or something, so it stays in the drawer. That's why you have to
> > shop for
> > knives that feel good to you. If you need two seconds per stroke to cut
> > some-
> > thing you may be using the wrong knife (for you).
> >
> > --
> > Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

> Jeez Brick, your blaming me for a knife you stole<g> cause you ain't got
> "manly" man hands.
> (does that make sense)
> Just took a peach pie out of the stretch Weber and got 8 thighs in there
>
> now. Pictures on ABF later.
> --
> James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

I'd like to steal a piece of that peach pie whether it feels good in my hand
or
not.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 20-Dec-2008, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Brick wrote:

.. . .

If you need two seconds per stroke to cut
> > some-
> > thing you may be using the wrong knife (for you).
> >

> If a knife doesn't fit my hand and if it doesn't "heft" well, I can't
> use it.
>
> I have asked to hold knives at demonstrations and the hucksters look at
> me like I fell from the sky. You are the first person who understands
> how important the feel of a knife is to its proper use.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one Janet. Several folks that hang around
this group do or did handle food for a living. They invariably have strong
opinions about what works for them. People that make their living with
tools tend to be kind of particular about what tools they use.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 20-Dec-2008, "John O" > wrote:

> What about the difference between stainless and high-carbon steel? In my
> experience with camping/pocket knives, high-carbon is the only way to go.
> Are any of the knives you guys like stainless?
>
> -John O

Three of my everyday use knives are stainless, but I did not buy them for
that attribute. Most of the knives in my block are high carbon.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler > wrote:

> But I gotta get me a steel; they're getting dull, and I want to have a
> steel for them, even if I decide to sharpen them with my trusty
> oilstone.

I just bought a new steel to replace the old one. The difference a
new steel makes is amazing. They do wear out after a year or two of
weekly use on 2-3 knives.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 20-Dec-2008, Denny Wheeler > wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 10:26:08 -0500, "John O"
> > wrote:
>
> >What about the difference between stainless and high-carbon steel? In my
> >
> >experience with camping/pocket knives, high-carbon is the only way to
> >go.
> >Are any of the knives you guys like stainless?

> As a rule, I dislike stainless knives--but I bought a set of 3
> santokus (11", 7", 5") at Costco 3 or so years ago, and I really like
> them a lot.
> The brand--which I'd never heard of--is Napastyle.
>
> But I gotta get me a steel; they're getting dull, and I want to have a
> steel for them, even if I decide to sharpen them with my trusty
> oilstone.
>
> --
>
> "Every single religion that has a monotheistic god
> winds up persecuting someone else."
> -Philip Pullman
>
> -denny-

I'm a believer in the diamond "steel". They last forever and remove
the least amount of material from your kives. The one I have is a
well worn 10 inch, 200 grit EZ Lap. I wouldn't trade it for a new
speckled pup. I also have their little retractable camper model with
holster. I haven't used it since my motorcycle camping days.

http://www.eze-lap.com/

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote:
> On 20-Dec-2008, Denny Wheeler >
> > > wrote:

[ . . . ]

Black novaculite

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 20-Dec-2008, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Denny Wheeler > wrote:
>
> > But I gotta get me a steel; they're getting dull, and I want to have a
> > steel for them, even if I decide to sharpen them with my trusty
> > oilstone.

> I just bought a new steel to replace the old one. The difference a
> new steel makes is amazing. They do wear out after a year or two of
> weekly use on 2-3 knives.
>
> -sw

I had only one 'Steel'. I bought it with my collection of Chicago Cutlery.
I suspect it wasn't the best grade of 'Steel' and it did wear out in a few
years, I'd guess 5 or 6 years minimum. I now use a diamond 'steel'. I've
had it for several years and I don't see it wearing out in my lifetime. It
works as good today as it did when I bought it ten or twelve years ago.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 18:59:02 -0800, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 10:26:08 -0500, "John O"
> wrote:
>
>>What about the difference between stainless and high-carbon steel? In my
>>experience with camping/pocket knives, high-carbon is the only way to go.
>>Are any of the knives you guys like stainless?

>As a rule, I dislike stainless knives--but I bought a set of 3
>santokus (11", 7", 5") at Costco 3 or so years ago, and I really like
>them a lot.
>The brand--which I'd never heard of--is Napastyle.
>
>But I gotta get me a steel; they're getting dull, and I want to have a
>steel for them, even if I decide to sharpen them with my trusty
>oilstone.

Yep, I swiped one too (santoku, not steel). ;-)

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick > wrote:

> On 20-Dec-2008, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Denny Wheeler > wrote:
>>
>>> But I gotta get me a steel; they're getting dull, and I want to have a
>>> steel for them, even if I decide to sharpen them with my trusty
>>> oilstone.

>> I just bought a new steel to replace the old one. The difference a
>> new steel makes is amazing. They do wear out after a year or two of
>> weekly use on 2-3 knives.

> I had only one 'Steel'. I bought it with my collection of Chicago Cutlery.
> I suspect it wasn't the best grade of 'Steel' and it did wear out in a few
> years, I'd guess 5 or 6 years minimum. I now use a diamond 'steel'. I've
> had it for several years and I don't see it wearing out in my lifetime. It
> works as good today as it did when I bought it ten or twelve years ago.

I had one of those but I felt it took off too much of the blade.
It's for sharpening rather than honing. ONe slip of the wrist and
if scuffed up the non-business part of the blade. It requires
precise leveling of the blade at a constant angle that was not easy
considering it design.

-sw

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> Denny Wheeler > wrote:
>
>> But I gotta get me a steel; they're getting dull, and I want to have a
>> steel for them, even if I decide to sharpen them with my trusty
>> oilstone.

> I just bought a new steel to replace the old one. The difference a
> new steel makes is amazing. They do wear out after a year or two of
> weekly use on 2-3 knives.
>
> -sw

I have a true steel that is probably 60 years old. It was my
mother-in-laws, and rarely gets used. I also have a carborundum
'steel'. I use the latter, and have found that it needs to be cleaned
every so often to make it effective. It clogs with the fine steel
shavings that come off the knives when I sharpen them. Once cleaned it
works as well as it did when it was new ten years ago. A gentle soak in
warm water and mild soap, then use a vegetable brush.

My knives are a mix of Henkels, Sabbatiers, and Wustofs. The
Sabbatiers, and then the Wustofs are my favourites, and are the ones the
culinary teachers (at the school where I worked) recommended.

MargW
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 20-Dec-2008, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Brick > wrote:

> >> I just bought a new steel to replace the old one. The difference a
> >> new steel makes is amazing. They do wear out after a year or two of
> >> weekly use on 2-3 knives.

> > I had only one 'Steel'. I bought it with my collection of Chicago
> > Cutlery.
> > I suspect it wasn't the best grade of 'Steel' and it did wear out in a
> > few
> > years, I'd guess 5 or 6 years minimum. I now use a diamond 'steel'.
> > I've
> > had it for several years and I don't see it wearing out in my lifetime.
> > It
> > works as good today as it did when I bought it ten or twelve years
> > ago.

> I had one of those but I felt it took off too much of the blade.
> It's for sharpening rather than honing. ONe slip of the wrist and
> if scuffed up the non-business part of the blade. It requires
> precise leveling of the blade at a constant angle that was not easy
> considering it design.
>
> -sw

What Steve said. But, my diamond "steel" wore quite smooth after a
few months and pretty much negated any tendency to mar the 'non-
business' portion of the knife. However, it is a file type of sharpener
and it does remove material from the blade. I would prefer a 'steel'
in the 400 grit range, but haven't seen one yet. 200 grit leaves visible
tool marks.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Brick wrote:

>>> Sam's club has Tramontina brand 7" Santoku style knives made in Brazil
>>> and claiming German steel, for something around $15 for a 2 pack. I've
>>> been quite happy with them.

>> Nothing wrong with that Tramontina. I have the 7" Santoku that I stole
>> from
>>
>> Big Jim. It doesn't feel good in my hand like my Henckels does. The
>> handle
>> is
>> too fat or something, so it stays in the drawer. That's why you have to
>> shop for
>> knives that feel good to you. If you need two seconds per stroke to cut
>> some-
>> thing you may be using the wrong knife (for you).
>>

> If a knife doesn't fit my hand and if it doesn't "heft" well, I can't use
> it.
>
> I have asked to hold knives at demonstrations and the hucksters look at me
> like I fell from the sky. You are the first person who understands how
> important the feel of a knife is to its proper use.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

The knife in question is my favorite inexpensive knife. Fits great and feels
good
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 21-Dec-2008, MargW > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> > Denny Wheeler > wrote:
> >
> >> But I gotta get me a steel; they're getting dull, and I want to have a
> >> steel for them, even if I decide to sharpen them with my trusty
> >> oilstone.

> > I just bought a new steel to replace the old one. The difference a
> > new steel makes is amazing. They do wear out after a year or two of
> > weekly use on 2-3 knives.
> >
> > -sw

> I have a true steel that is probably 60 years old. It was my
> mother-in-laws, and rarely gets used. I also have a carborundum
> 'steel'. I use the latter, and have found that it needs to be cleaned
> every so often to make it effective. It clogs with the fine steel
> shavings that come off the knives when I sharpen them. Once cleaned it
> works as well as it did when it was new ten years ago. A gentle soak in
> warm water and mild soap, then use a vegetable brush.
>
> My knives are a mix of Henkels, Sabbatiers, and Wustofs. The
> Sabbatiers, and then the Wustofs are my favourites, and are the ones the
> culinary teachers (at the school where I worked) recommended.
>
> MargW

What MargW said about the carborundum. EZ Lap says their diamond
steel needs to be cleaned periodically for the same reason.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 21-Dec-2008, "Big Jim" > wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> > Brick wrote:

> >> Nothing wrong with that Tramontina. I have the 7" Santoku that I stole
> >>
> >> from
> >>
> >> Big Jim. It doesn't feel good in my hand like my Henckels does. The
> >> handle
> >> is
> >> too fat or something, so it stays in the drawer. That's why you have
> >> shop for
> >> knives that feel good to you. If you need two seconds per stroke to
> >> cut
> >> some-
> >> thing you may be using the wrong knife (for you).
> >>

> > If a knife doesn't fit my hand and if it doesn't "heft" well, I can't
> > use
> > it.
> >
> > I have asked to hold knives at demonstrations and the hucksters look at
> > me
> > like I fell from the sky. You are the first person who understands how
> > important the feel of a knife is to its proper use.
> >
> > --
> > Janet Wilder
> > Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> > Good Friends. Good Life

> The knife in question is my favorite inexpensive knife. Fits great and
> feels
> good
> --
> James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

And you can have it back the next time I'm up that way.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 20-Dec-2008, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Denny Wheeler > wrote:
>>
>> > But I gotta get me a steel; they're getting dull, and I want to have a
>> > steel for them, even if I decide to sharpen them with my trusty
>> > oilstone.

>> I just bought a new steel to replace the old one. The difference a
>> new steel makes is amazing. They do wear out after a year or two of
>> weekly use on 2-3 knives.
>>
>> -sw

> I had only one 'Steel'. I bought it with my collection of Chicago Cutlery.
> I suspect it wasn't the best grade of 'Steel' and it did wear out in a few
> years, I'd guess 5 or 6 years minimum. I now use a diamond 'steel'. I've
> had it for several years and I don't see it wearing out in my lifetime. It
> works as good today as it did when I bought it ten or twelve years ago.
>
> --
> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Thanks...I went shopping for knives yesterday and I got the impression that
stainless was somehow alloyed with the high-carbon stuff. Can't really trust
packaging, thanks for the link Denny.

A few years ago I got one of those sharpening systems that lets me choose
the edge I want. Mainly I used it to recover knives the young Scouts had
destroyed with their crappy stones. But, it's great for putting a good
edge--any angle you want--on any knife. Last week I sharpened my 24-year old
utility knife, and on Friday the damn thing wouldn't cut through the paper
wrapper on my hunk of braunschweiger. That's just not right! Time to retire
that knife, if it was ever any good in the first place.

http://www.amazon.com/Lansky-LKUNV-U...ef=pd_sbs_sg_4

BTW, Walmart has some Paula Dean knives for about $5 each...high-carbon.
Gotta put one in my hand and see how it feels. ;-) I have massive hands and
need a good handle.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

John O wrote:
> "Brick" > wrote in message
> ster.com...

>>> I just bought a new steel to replace the old one. The difference a
>>> new steel makes is amazing. They do wear out after a year or two of
>>> weekly use on 2-3 knives.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I had only one 'Steel'. I bought it with my collection of Chicago Cutlery.
>> I suspect it wasn't the best grade of 'Steel' and it did wear out in a few
>> years, I'd guess 5 or 6 years minimum. I now use a diamond 'steel'. I've
>> had it for several years and I don't see it wearing out in my lifetime. It
>> works as good today as it did when I bought it ten or twelve years ago.
>>
>> --
>> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

> Thanks...I went shopping for knives yesterday and I got the impression that
> stainless was somehow alloyed with the high-carbon stuff. Can't really trust
> packaging, thanks for the link Denny.
>
> A few years ago I got one of those sharpening systems that lets me choose
> the edge I want. Mainly I used it to recover knives the young Scouts had
> destroyed with their crappy stones. But, it's great for putting a good
> edge--any angle you want--on any knife. Last week I sharpened my 24-year old
> utility knife, and on Friday the damn thing wouldn't cut through the paper
> wrapper on my hunk of braunschweiger. That's just not right! Time to retire
> that knife, if it was ever any good in the first place.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Lansky-LKUNV-U...ef=pd_sbs_sg_4
>
> BTW, Walmart has some Paula Dean knives for about $5 each...high-carbon.
> Gotta put one in my hand and see how it feels. ;-) I have massive hands and
> need a good handle.
>
> -John O

This bad boy will do the trick.

I have even less ability to hand sharpen than most.

This unit works very well, but their other sharpeners are crap.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message

> And you can have it back the next time I'm up that way.
>
> --
> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Howard, I got 3 of them. Why not give it to one of the neighbors?
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten