Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking,alt.cooking-chat

Default Where to get gas cartridge refilled?

Need a Gas Stove, Electric hotplates are not suitable for some of
Indian Cooking.

Thinking to buy a signle burner stove that comes with 2 cartridges
( while one is being used other can get refilled)

Question is where to get it refilled.

Went to Halfords which sells cartridges, but could not tell where to
get a cartridge refilled.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...I36NEJ004R3ED4

that is what I am thinking to buy.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking,alt.cooking-chat

Romanise wrote:
> Need a Gas Stove, Electric hotplates are not suitable for some of
> Indian Cooking.
>
> Thinking to buy a signle burner stove that comes with 2 cartridges
> ( while one is being used other can get refilled)
>
> Question is where to get it refilled.
>
> Went to Halfords which sells cartridges, but could not tell where to
> get a cartridge refilled.
>
> http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...I36NEJ004R3ED4

Those cartridges aren't refillable. I expect that it contains butane,
not propane or LP gas. GAZ is another brand. I don't know the British
market, but I expect that it's not much different from the US.

> that is what I am thinking to buy.

Be careful about your terminology. Generally, containers called
"cartridges" are small and not refillable. The smallest commercially
refillable containers I know of are 10-pound versions of the common
20-pound tanks (sometimes called bottles) that are pretty standard on
outdoor gas grills and travel campers. In many jurisdictions, it is not
legal to store those indoors.

The gas bottles used on the one- and two-burner stoves that caterers
call hot plates usually use what are called Bernz bottles, after the
torch maker that introduced them. Although Bernz bottles are generally
discarded when empty, you can get an adapter to refill them from the
larger available tanks. That process must also be done outdoors and away
from buildings, and it is not legal to transport bottles that have been
refilled. In my country house, I had two 100-lb tanks (that size is
called "cylinder" -- outside and brought the gas inside with installed
copper tubing. There are local codes that need to be follower to do that.

Typical propane stoves for campers are http://tinyurl.com/62us8m
http://tinyurl.com/5rsjwh and http://tinyurl.com/4l9t3u These use the
tall slender 14.1-oz or short squat 16.5-oz Bernz-style bottles. The hot
plates that caterers use indoors have no windscreens.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 06:32:37 -0700 (PDT), Romanise > wrote:

>Need a Gas Stove, Electric hotplates are not suitable for some of
>Indian Cooking.

<snipped>

>Thanks.

Get one of these and a gas grill tank,
more bang for the buck.

http://tinyurl.com/5uz89q

Scooter

icq# 30260714

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking,alt.cooking-chat

Jerry Avins > wrote:
> Romanise wrote:
>> Need a Gas Stove, Electric hotplates are not suitable for some of
>> Indian Cooking.
>>
>> Thinking to buy a signle burner stove that comes with 2 cartridges
>> ( while one is being used other can get refilled)
>>
>> Question is where to get it refilled.
>>
>> Went to Halfords which sells cartridges, but could not tell where to
>> get a cartridge refilled.
>>
>> http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...I36NEJ004R3ED4

> Those cartridges aren't refillable. I expect that it contains butane,
> not propane or LP gas. GAZ is another brand. I don't know the British
> market, but I expect that it's not much different from the US.
>
>> that is what I am thinking to buy.

> Be careful about your terminology. Generally, containers called
> "cartridges" are small and not refillable. The smallest commercially
> refillable containers I know of are 10-pound versions of the common
> 20-pound tanks (sometimes called bottles) that are pretty standard on
> outdoor gas grills and travel campers. In many jurisdictions, it is
> not legal to store those indoors.
>
> The gas bottles used on the one- and two-burner stoves that caterers
> call hot plates usually use what are called Bernz bottles, after the
> torch maker that introduced them. Although Bernz bottles are generally
> discarded when empty, you can get an adapter to refill them from the
> larger available tanks. That process must also be done outdoors and
> away from buildings, and it is not legal to transport bottles that
> have been refilled. In my country house, I had two 100-lb tanks (that
> size is called "cylinder" -- outside and brought the gas inside with
> installed copper tubing. There are local codes that need to be
> follower to do that.
> Typical propane stoves for campers are http://tinyurl.com/62us8m
> http://tinyurl.com/5rsjwh and http://tinyurl.com/4l9t3u These use the
> tall slender 14.1-oz or short squat 16.5-oz Bernz-style bottles. The
> hot plates that caterers use indoors have no windscreens.
>
> Jerry

Here is a good alternative, as it can use regular petrol.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...224-00660-3700