Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default molasse

hi there,

some BBQ sauce recepies use molasse sirup wich is not availible in the
netherlands. A friend of mine bought something called "Lyle's black
treacle". is this the same as molasse? I tried it, and it has a suprising
taste. yes it is sweet, but salty as well. I always thought molasse was only
sweet.

hope you can help me out

Adriaan

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

A. Kesteloo wrote:

> hi there,
>
> some BBQ sauce recepies use molasse sirup wich is not availible in
> the netherlands. A friend of mine bought something called "Lyle's
> black treacle". is this the same as molasse? I tried it, and it has a
> suprising taste. yes it is sweet, but salty as well. I always thought
> molasse was only sweet.

I suspect that it is close enough.

<http://www.britshoppe.com/lylblactreac.html>

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

A. Kesteloo wrote:
> hi there,
>
> some BBQ sauce recepies use molasse sirup wich is not availible in the
> netherlands. A friend of mine bought something called "Lyle's black
> treacle". is this the same as molasse? I tried it, and it has a
> suprising taste. yes it is sweet, but salty as well. I always thought
> molasse was only sweet.
>
> hope you can help me out

Treacle is a more refined version of molasses. I'm puzzled about the treacle
you tasted as being 'salty', though. The treacle I've tasted is lighter in
color, somewhat sweeter, and not as full-bodied in flavor as blackstrap
molasses; it was never salty.

Treacle will not give the same flavor, but it will provide the same 'body'
to the sauce. I'm wondering if you have something called 'stroop'? If so,
that may be what you call molasses.
--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 15-Apr-2008, "A. Kesteloo" > wrote:

> hi there,
>
> some BBQ sauce recepies use molasse sirup wich is not availible in the
> netherlands. A friend of mine bought something called "Lyle's black
> treacle". is this the same as molasse? I tried it, and it has a suprising
> taste. yes it is sweet, but salty as well. I always thought molasse was
> only
> sweet.
>
> hope you can help me out
>
> Adriaan

Thank you for that interesting question Adriaan. I had never thought much
about
it, mainly because I had never heard of "Treacle" before. But 'Google' is my

friend and the first hit turned up a wealth of information from the 'UK' in
the
form of this link. They say that 'Molasses' and 'Treacle' are completely
interchangeable. Enjoy.

http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/Treacle%20Recipes.htm

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)