Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default When Bad Guys Were Once Good

I was reviewing some old files of general bbq interest, and I came upon one
that Kevin Wilson produced back when he was a positive participant here.

http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/turkey/turkey.htm

More good Thanksgiving turkey stuff.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> I was reviewing some old files of general bbq interest, and I came upon
> one that Kevin Wilson produced back when he was a positive participant
> here.
>
> http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/turkey/turkey.htm
>
> More good Thanksgiving turkey stuff.

Thaks, Dave. Fond memories, indeed.

I remember when Graeme used to be a positive participant here and at abf.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

Dave Bugg wrote:
> I was reviewing some old files of general bbq interest, and I came upon one
> that Kevin Wilson produced back when he was a positive participant here.
>
> http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/turkey/turkey.htm
>
> More good Thanksgiving turkey stuff.

He is good now too. He hasn't been around in a while !!!
He did have some good posts, but his continual fighting made it hard to
appreciate the good stuff.

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 5, 8:10 am, bbq > wrote:

> He is good now too. He hasn't been around in a while !!!
> He did have some good posts, but his continual fighting made it hard to
> appreciate the good stuff.
>
> BBQ

I participate in a few other forums and newsgroups, and it seems they
all have their cycles. There seems to be a universal patterns
throughout all of them, but in an unmoderated venue it is much more
intense.

What I have seen on all groups and forums:

- If you post a lot, you seem to fall into categories

1) You may be a really helpful character that wants to spread the
knowledge you have on a certain subject

2) You think you know more than you do, and your opinion is the most
important thing you can imagine. Typically, the more you post, the
smarter you must be, espeically if no one disputes your posts. You
are now published to the world! And of course, the more you post, the
smarter you feel, until you think you are an expert, whose opinion
should go unchallenged. Those stupid enough to not understand your
genius will be subjected to ridicule, saracasm, and sometimes even
threats

3) You actually enjoy some of the good folks that hang around these
places

4) You may be anxious to learn as much as possible about the subject
of the newsgroup or forum, and if you seem sincere enough, you hope
that you find people that are ready to share their knowledge and
experience

5) You may be lost. Thinking these venues are something they are not,
you believe these to be a places where someone will hold your hand
through a process that has taken years to learn, whether that be
woodworking, bbq, or home repair

All however, seem to have their crackpots. In a moderated venue they
are usually warned, then removed. Sometimes they are suspended, then
can come back later. Jeff at the smokingmeats forum will put someone
in the doghouse for name calling, excessive sarcasm, or bad attitude.

But in an unmoderated venue such as this newsgroup, the bad guys can
go on forever. In one way it is sad as you have to wait for some
loudmouth to blow themselves out, and if they are frustrated with
their own lives they sure seem to make it obvious here. They are on a
hair trigger; if they are fine they can be helpful, if not, they will
bend over and crap blast someone's opinion as hard as they can. They
conveniently forget that their views are just opinions too, and that
their thoughts are not really important to anyone but themselves.

For folks that take BBQ serously, it looks like an elementary school
playground when they find this group and find the longest threads are
the challenges to whose bbq is better (how in the hell does anyone
know that by a newsgroup? But I have seen it here...), what temp to
cook at (as in the ONLY temp to cook at if you want good product like
theirs), and on and on.

The good news is that (referencing the above post), that after a while
the loudmouths begin to feel like their opinions are too valuable to
waste on a bunch of idiots, and they move on to find other places that
will appreciate their genius. Sometimes though, it sure seems to take
a while.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 5, 11:09 am, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> I doubt that you were suggesting that most participants >here don't take BBQ
> sriously, though? ;-)

Absolutely not. Just from time to time it seems that being right is
much more important than good brisket. (Yup, from Texas).

How could THAT be? ;^)

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> I was reviewing some old files of general bbq interest, and I came upon

one
> that Kevin Wilson produced back when he was a positive participant here.
>
> http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/turkey/turkey.htm
>
> More good Thanksgiving turkey stuff.
>
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

I've used his procedure and it ( the turkey) came out larrupin'. Just like
he said it would.

Fridge Flakes and the Good Guys hutchndi Sourdough 11 22-11-2009 05:52 PM
Hi guys!! Matt[_11_] Baking 5 18-11-2009 02:32 PM
You guys are good.... None Barbecue 3 18-10-2005 02:47 AM
Hey Guys, I Have Few Good Words To Share [email protected] General Cooking 0 04-03-2005 01:37 PM
WOW, These guys are GOOD! Steve Calvin General Cooking 20 31-01-2005 01:56 AM