FoodBanter.com

-   -   almost too simple (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/138284-almost-too-simple.html)

Nonnymus[_5_] 26-10-2007 04:21 AM

almost too simple

Being on diets, the wife and I are really looking for low calorie foods
that don't taste like cardboard. The other day, she saw something on
the Food Network where a guy deep fried chicken, as I was told, in a
breading that incorporated Ranch Dressing mix. That gave me an idea
about how to make a chicken breast more appetizing.

I trimmed down 4 halves, removing all fat and also the clear membrane-
whatever that's called. I tossed the four halves into a small vacuum
cannister and added a packet of Ranch salad dressing mix. That got a
good shake, followed by a vacuum. The shake was repeated several times
over the course of a couple days. Tonight, I grilled the breast halves.

The flavor was clear through the meat and if I'd cubed the pieces and
stuck toothpicks in them, I'd have been happy to have served them to
guests as an appetizer. The upshot was that the breasts were delicious
and the dressing mix, without added oil, didn't really add many calories
if you figure what remained in the vacuum cannister.

It's definitely something new for on my list of good things.

Nonny
--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,

Dave Bugg 26-10-2007 05:41 AM

almost too simple

Nonnymus wrote:

> Being on diets, the wife and I are really looking for low calorie
> foods that don't taste like cardboard. The other day, she saw
> something on the Food Network where a guy deep fried chicken, as I
> was told, in a breading that incorporated Ranch Dressing mix. That
> gave me an idea about how to make a chicken breast more appetizing.
>
> I trimmed down 4 halves, removing all fat and also the clear membrane-
> whatever that's called. I tossed the four halves into a small vacuum
> cannister and added a packet of Ranch salad dressing mix. That got a
> good shake, followed by a vacuum. The shake was repeated several
> times over the course of a couple days. Tonight, I grilled the
> breast halves.
> The flavor was clear through the meat and if I'd cubed the pieces and
> stuck toothpicks in them, I'd have been happy to have served them to
> guests as an appetizer. The upshot was that the breasts were
> delicious and the dressing mix, without added oil, didn't really add
> many calories if you figure what remained in the vacuum cannister.
>
> It's definitely something new for on my list of good things.

Interesting. May have to give it a try.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Nonnymus[_5_] 26-10-2007 05:58 AM

almost too simple

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Nonnymus wrote:
>
>> Being on diets, the wife and I are really looking for low calorie
>> foods that don't taste like cardboard. The other day, she saw
>> something on the Food Network where a guy deep fried chicken, as I
>> was told, in a breading that incorporated Ranch Dressing mix. That
>> gave me an idea about how to make a chicken breast more appetizing.
>>
>> I trimmed down 4 halves, removing all fat and also the clear membrane-
>> whatever that's called. I tossed the four halves into a small vacuum
>> cannister and added a packet of Ranch salad dressing mix. That got a
>> good shake, followed by a vacuum. The shake was repeated several
>> times over the course of a couple days. Tonight, I grilled the
>> breast halves.
>> The flavor was clear through the meat and if I'd cubed the pieces and
>> stuck toothpicks in them, I'd have been happy to have served them to
>> guests as an appetizer. The upshot was that the breasts were
>> delicious and the dressing mix, without added oil, didn't really add
>> many calories if you figure what remained in the vacuum cannister.
>>
>> It's definitely something new for on my list of good things.

> Interesting. May have to give it a try.

It'll be interesting to see if you like it. As I said, it's almost too
simple.

JimnGin 26-10-2007 07:30 AM

almost too simple

On Oct 25, 11:21 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
> Being on diets

> It's definitely something new for on my list of good things.

> ---Nonnymus---
> No matter how large your boat,
> the person you are talking with will
> have a close friend with a larger one.
> ---Observation by my son

Thanks for the simple alternative to "fattening" chicken! My wife has
been doing the Weight Watcher's thing, and working out at a local
health care place. She's doing great- she's lost about 50 pounds since
the middle of May, and is always looking for ways to make food taste
good, whilst cutting calories, fat, etc. I'll give your method a try
(for her, only), and hopefully, it'll meet her WW guidelines! BTW- I'm
hanging in there for fat people everywhere- I REFUSE to get myself
involved in any type of "diet" that will cause me to lose any weight,
in any way!! If the "diet" doesn't involve at the very least, a weight
gain of 1 pound per month, I want nothing to do with it! My "extra"
weight and I have become "one" with each other! Given the choice
between diet and BBQ- I'll choose BBQ each and every time, thank you
very much! Not only does that mean that I can eat whatever I want,
whenever I want, but it has the added benefit of driving my "skinny-
ass" doctor crazy! BTW- chicken w/o skin is like sex w/o an orgasm!

Well- I have to go now- it's been at least 5 minutes w/o any fatty
foods- I can almost feel the ounces melting away- heaven forbid! I
must go and find some fatty food, or face the consequences of almost
losing a little bit of weight!

JimnGin (Gin being the one who has lost weight, and Jim being the one
whose wife will no doubt eventually be a widow!)

Nick Cramer 26-10-2007 08:22 AM

almost too simple

JimnGin > wrote:
> On Oct 25, 11:21 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
> > Being on diets

> > It's definitely something new for on my list of good things.

Jim,

Everyone in my house knows to save the chicken and duck skins for me!
Sometimes I have to crisp them up. I also love the fat trimmed off of
steaks and such. I render it down in the fry pan 'til it's crispy, then
snack on it while I'm cookin' or just watching the tube. I still can't gain
much weight. ;-(

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

JimnGin 26-10-2007 08:53 AM

almost too simple

On Oct 26, 3:22 am, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> JimnGin > wrote:
> > On Oct 25, 11:21 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
> > > Being on diets

> > > It's definitely something new for on my list of good things.

> Jim,
>
> Everyone in my house knows to save the chicken and duck skins for me!
> Sometimes I have to crisp them up. I also love the fat trimmed off of
> steaks and such. I render it down in the fry pan 'til it's crispy, then
> snack on it while I'm cookin' or just watching the tube. I still can't gain
> much weight. ;-(
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War. They
> are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not
> forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Damn you, Nick, for not being able to gain weight! (I really don't
mean that, of course- it's just a natural reaction from a fat man to
someone who can't gain weight!) I was fat by the time I was 3 or 4. I
remember coming home from grade school, crying because kids were
making fun of me because I was fat. When I told my mom what was wrong,
she would make me something to eat, in order to "comfort" me. Oh well-
we may be on opposite ends of the "scale", but we enjoy the same type
of foods! Keep trying- who knows- maybe you too can one day become one
with your "extra" weight. In the meantime, I'm proud of your
"efforts"!

JimnGin

P.S. I'm even more proud of your support of our brave and heroic
troops, fighting for this great nation of ours, at home and abroad!

Nick Cramer 26-10-2007 09:20 AM

almost too simple

JimnGin > wrote:
> On Oct 26, 3:22 am, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > JimnGin > wrote:

> Damn you, Nick, for not being able to gain weight! (I really don't
> mean that, of course- it's just a natural reaction from a fat man to
> someone who can't gain weight!) I was fat by the time I was 3 or 4. I
> remember coming home from grade school, crying because kids were
> making fun of me because I was fat. When I told my mom what was wrong,
> she would make me something to eat, in order to "comfort" me. Oh well-
> we may be on opposite ends of the "scale", but we enjoy the same type
> of foods! Keep trying- who knows- maybe you too can one day become one
> with your "extra" weight. In the meantime, I'm proud of your
> "efforts"!

Thanks, Jumbo . . . I mean Jim boy! I was 155 when I graduated high school.
168 was my fighting weight during the 25 years I was into Karate. After I
got diabetes and started passing out in class in '92 (I was 57 at the
time), I quit and ballooned up to 230. I'm now back to 168, but I've got no
energy.

Thanks very much for your PS.

Mangia! Mangia! Eat my SPAM if ya want some great Italian recipes. ;-)

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Nick Cramer 26-10-2007 09:23 AM

almost too simple

JimnGin > wrote:
> On Oct 26, 3:22 am, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > JimnGin > wrote:

> Damn you, Nick, for not being able to gain weight! (I really don't
> mean that, of course- it's just a natural reaction from a fat man to
> someone who can't gain weight!) I was fat by the time I was 3 or 4. I
> remember coming home from grade school, crying because kids were
> making fun of me because I was fat. When I told my mom what was wrong,
> she would make me something to eat, in order to "comfort" me. Oh well-
> we may be on opposite ends of the "scale", but we enjoy the same type
> of foods! Keep trying- who knows- maybe you too can one day become one
> with your "extra" weight. In the meantime, I'm proud of your
> "efforts"!

Thanks, Jumbo . . . I mean Jim boy! I was 155 when I graduated high school.
168 was my fighting weight during the 25 years I was into Karate. After I
got diabetes and started passing out in class in '92 (I was 57 at the
time), I quit and ballooned up to 230. I'm now back to 168, but I've got no
energy. My 14 year old granson is 330. I think it's the meds and his family
situation.

Nonnymus[_5_] 26-10-2007 08:01 PM

almost too simple

JimnGin wrote:
> On Oct 25, 11:21 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
>> Being on diets

>> It's definitely something new for on my list of good things.

>> ---Nonnymus---
>> No matter how large your boat,
>> the person you are talking with will
>> have a close friend with a larger one.
>> ---Observation by my son

> Thanks for the simple alternative to "fattening" chicken! My wife has
> been doing the Weight Watcher's thing, and working out at a local
> health care place. She's doing great- she's lost about 50 pounds since
> the middle of May, and is always looking for ways to make food taste
> good, whilst cutting calories, fat, etc. I'll give your method a try
> (for her, only), and hopefully, it'll meet her WW guidelines! BTW- I'm
> hanging in there for fat people everywhere- I REFUSE to get myself

Jim, while the result isn't significantly different in calories from the
typical dry, grilled breast, the flavor puts it into "real" food
category. Please, take a bit of you wife's breast, if you do it like I
recommend, and you'll see how good it is. IMHO, it's decent to serve up
to company.

Nonnymus[_5_] 26-10-2007 08:04 PM

almost too simple

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:21:21 -0700, Nonnymus wrote:
>
>> I trimmed down 4 halves, removing all fat and also the clear membrane-
>> whatever that's called. I tossed the four halves into a small vacuum
>> cannister and added a packet of Ranch salad dressing mix. That got a
>> good shake, followed by a vacuum. The shake was repeated several times
>> over the course of a couple days. Tonight, I grilled the breast halves.

> Was there any liquid in there? Sour cream or buttermilk?
>
> -sw

The breast was trimmed of all fat and the clear membrane removed to let
things soak in a tad better. The only moisture was what was on the
breast, and nothing beyond the dry Ranch Dressing mix was tossed in
before the shaking and vacuuming.

When I finally broke the vacuum seal and took the breasts out, there was
some liquid draining in the bottom, but nothing major. Before grilling,
I DID NOT ADD any salt or pepper. The Ranch Dressing mix that still
stuck to the chicken was just right. I didn't add any sour cream,
buttermilk or coat the breasts with oil, since I wanted to see how the
dry mix did all by itself.

Nonny

Hairy 27-10-2007 03:14 AM

almost too simple

> Jim, Please, take a bit of you wife's breast, if you do it like I
> recommend, and you'll see how good it is. IMHO, it's decent to serve up
> to company.
> --
> ---Nonnymus---

Now, that just ain't right..........

Nonnymus[_5_] 27-10-2007 03:37 AM

almost too simple

Hairy wrote:
>> Jim, Please, take a bit of you wife's breast, if you do it like I
>> recommend, and you'll see how good it is. IMHO, it's decent to serve up
>> to company.
>> --
>> ---Nonnymus---

> Now, that just ain't right..........

<grin> let me clarify that. . . take a bite of your wife's CHICKEN
breast. . .

Nonny

JimnGin 27-10-2007 05:30 AM

almost too simple

On Oct 26, 10:37 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
> Hairy wrote:
> >> Jim, Please, take a bit of you wife's breast, if you do it like I
> >> recommend, and you'll see how good it is. IMHO, it's decent to serve up
> >> to company.
> >> --
> >> ---Nonnymus---

> > Now, that just ain't right..........

> <grin> let me clarify that. . . take a bite of your wife's CHICKEN
> breast. . .
>
> Nonny
> --
> ---Nonnymus---
> No matter how large your boat,
> the person you are talking with will
> have a close friend with a larger one.
> ---Observation by my son

Actually- I'd prefer my wife's breasts over a chicken breast! <Grin>

JimnGin

motley me 27-10-2007 01:59 PM

almost too simple

Nonnymus > wrote in news:s3dUi.26392$oC3.8686
@newsfe08.phx:

> Being on diets, the wife and I are really looking for low calorie

foods
> that don't taste like cardboard. The other day, she saw something on
> the Food Network where a guy deep fried chicken, as I was told, in a
> breading that incorporated Ranch Dressing mix. That gave me an idea
> about how to make a chicken breast more appetizing.
>
> I trimmed down 4 halves, removing all fat and also the clear membrane-
> whatever that's called. I tossed the four halves into a small vacuum
> cannister and added a packet of Ranch salad dressing mix. That got a
> good shake, followed by a vacuum. The shake was repeated several

times
> over the course of a couple days. Tonight, I grilled the breast

halves.

> The flavor was clear through the meat and if I'd cubed the pieces and
> stuck toothpicks in them, I'd have been happy to have served them to
> guests as an appetizer. The upshot was that the breasts were

delicious
> and the dressing mix, without added oil, didn't really add many

calories
> if you figure what remained in the vacuum cannister.
>
> It's definitely something new for on my list of good things.
>
> Nonny

My wife uses ranch dressing mix a lot. She buys the big canister.
You should try it in chicken salad. Either with cut up chicken or canned
if your in a hurry. the dressing and a little mayo and some walnuts. Yum
yum good

JimnGin 28-10-2007 06:48 AM

almost too simple

> >Actually- I'd prefer my wife's breasts over a chicken breast! <Grin>

> To serve up to company?
>
> -denny-
> --
>
> The test of courage comes when we are in the minority.
> The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.

Hey now- your crossing a line here! Company can have all the chicken
breasts they want. My wife's, however, are for me, and me alone- thank
you very much, after the company has left- no Ranch dressing or
anything else needed!

JimnGin

ChrisGW 29-10-2007 12:58 AM

almost too simple

Nonnymus wrote:
> Being on diets, the wife and I are really looking for low calorie foods
> that don't taste like cardboard. The other day, she saw something on
> the Food Network where a guy deep fried chicken, as I was told, in a
> breading that incorporated Ranch Dressing mix. That gave me an idea
> about how to make a chicken breast more appetizing.
>
> I trimmed down 4 halves, removing all fat and also the clear membrane-
> whatever that's called. I tossed the four halves into a small vacuum
> cannister and added a packet of Ranch salad dressing mix. That got a
> good shake, followed by a vacuum. The shake was repeated several times
> over the course of a couple days. Tonight, I grilled the breast halves.
>
> The flavor was clear through the meat and if I'd cubed the pieces and
> stuck toothpicks in them, I'd have been happy to have served them to
> guests as an appetizer. The upshot was that the breasts were delicious
> and the dressing mix, without added oil, didn't really add many calories
> if you figure what remained in the vacuum cannister.
>
> It's definitely something new for on my list of good things.
>
> Nonny

My wife and I tried the dressing mix tonight. We are hooked. It was good. Thanks!

Chris