Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default A quick update

Hi there, everyone.

Just a quick update. Some may have noticed that I haven't posted anything
for the last two weeks. My mom suffered a series of strokes and I have been
out of town to be with her and my siblings.

The strokes have left my mom with cognitive functioning intact, but with
highly diminished gross and fine motor coordination and function. She is too
weak to walk without assistance, but is able to sit. She is able to talk
with difficulty, and can be understood though her speech is slurred.

Mom was discharged from the hospital 5 days post-stroke to a transitional
care facility with the appropriate physical therapy care when it became
apparent that she was stable, and in no further medical danger. We have been
warned, however, that her current condition produces an increased likelihood
of a massive stroke within the next 30 days; a risk which lessens each month
that passes.

It is very possible that with the physical therapy, mom will be able to
return home under partial assisted care. I have a single brother who is a
manager of a Home Depot store who lives in the house with mom (it is our
childhood home from after my dad retired from the military), and so is able
to provide for her needs as well. In addition to spending a lot of time with
mom, I have been remodeling and repairing the house in anticipation of her
return home.

I just returned to my home to take care of some stuff here, pay bills, grab
some tools, and head back to mom. I didn't bother reading the NG 'cause
there's two weeks worth of unread postings. I just marked everything unread
to dump the backlog. Sorry if anyone has tried to give me a ping and I
missed it.

I feel blessed that Mom is still with us, was not damaged as severely by a
massive stroke, and that I have more time that I can spend with her.

OB food: Eating and drinking have become difficult hurdles; not so much
because mom can't eat and drink, but because she simply doesn't feel like
doing so. And she has to eat and drink in order to get her strength up. I
have been cooking and bringing her high calorie comfort foods that are
compatible with her need for a soft mechanical diet. So far, she likes my
meatloaf the best. And Sees chocolate.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Hi there, everyone.
>
> Just a quick update. Some may have noticed that I haven't posted anything
> for the last two weeks. My mom suffered a series of strokes and I have been
> out of town to be with her and my siblings.
>
> The strokes have left my mom with cognitive functioning intact, but with
> highly diminished gross and fine motor coordination and function. She is too
> weak to walk without assistance, but is able to sit. She is able to talk
> with difficulty, and can be understood though her speech is slurred.
>
> Mom was discharged from the hospital 5 days post-stroke to a transitional
> care facility with the appropriate physical therapy care when it became
> apparent that she was stable, and in no further medical danger. We have been
> warned, however, that her current condition produces an increased likelihood
> of a massive stroke within the next 30 days; a risk which lessens each month
> that passes.
>
> It is very possible that with the physical therapy, mom will be able to
> return home under partial assisted care. I have a single brother who is a
> manager of a Home Depot store who lives in the house with mom (it is our
> childhood home from after my dad retired from the military), and so is able
> to provide for her needs as well. In addition to spending a lot of time with
> mom, I have been remodeling and repairing the house in anticipation of her
> return home.
>
> I just returned to my home to take care of some stuff here, pay bills, grab
> some tools, and head back to mom. I didn't bother reading the NG 'cause
> there's two weeks worth of unread postings. I just marked everything unread
> to dump the backlog. Sorry if anyone has tried to give me a ping and I
> missed it.
>
> I feel blessed that Mom is still with us, was not damaged as severely by a
> massive stroke, and that I have more time that I can spend with her.
>
> OB food: Eating and drinking have become difficult hurdles; not so much
> because mom can't eat and drink, but because she simply doesn't feel like
> doing so. And she has to eat and drink in order to get her strength up. I
> have been cooking and bringing her high calorie comfort foods that are
> compatible with her need for a soft mechanical diet. So far, she likes my
> meatloaf the best. And Sees chocolate.

Dave, good wishes for both of you. It is a burden (in definition) That
so many of us have.. A labor of love.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sorry to hear that Dave! Congratulations to your Mom for
not having more serious results from the stroke. Good luck
to you all. It sounds like she has two great sons.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Hi there, everyone.
>
> Just a quick update. Some may have noticed that I haven't posted anything
> for the last two weeks. My mom suffered a series of strokes and I have
> been out of town to be with her and my siblings.

Dave,

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. I hope she's able to make a comeback.

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Good luck Dave! My father has had 4 strokes and many "episodes". He
is able to think pretty clearly, a little diminishing of speech, but
is almost an invalid with only partial control of his body functions.

Mom isn't much better. Between the two, they take a lot of care and
consideration off and on. They have worn me to a nub too many times
to count.

Make sure you take some time for yourself in the mix of things.

God bless you and yours.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Hi there, everyone.
>
> Just a quick update. Some may have noticed that I haven't posted anything
> for the last two weeks. My mom suffered a series of strokes and I have
> been out of town to be with her and my siblings.
>

> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

-- Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for your Mother.
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:35:51 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Hi there, everyone.
>
>Just a quick update. Some may have noticed that I haven't posted anything
>for the last two weeks. My mom suffered a series of strokes and I have been
>out of town to be with her and my siblings.
>
>The strokes have left my mom with cognitive functioning intact, but with
>highly diminished gross and fine motor coordination and function. She is too
>weak to walk without assistance, but is able to sit. She is able to talk
>with difficulty, and can be understood though her speech is slurred.
>
>Mom was discharged from the hospital 5 days post-stroke to a transitional
>care facility with the appropriate physical therapy care when it became
>apparent that she was stable, and in no further medical danger. We have been
>warned, however, that her current condition produces an increased likelihood
>of a massive stroke within the next 30 days; a risk which lessens each month
>that passes.
>
>It is very possible that with the physical therapy, mom will be able to
>return home under partial assisted care. I have a single brother who is a
>manager of a Home Depot store who lives in the house with mom (it is our
>childhood home from after my dad retired from the military), and so is able
>to provide for her needs as well. In addition to spending a lot of time with
>mom, I have been remodeling and repairing the house in anticipation of her
>return home.
>
>I just returned to my home to take care of some stuff here, pay bills, grab
>some tools, and head back to mom. I didn't bother reading the NG 'cause
>there's two weeks worth of unread postings. I just marked everything unread
>to dump the backlog. Sorry if anyone has tried to give me a ping and I
>missed it.
>
>I feel blessed that Mom is still with us, was not damaged as severely by a
>massive stroke, and that I have more time that I can spend with her.
>
>OB food: Eating and drinking have become difficult hurdles; not so much
>because mom can't eat and drink, but because she simply doesn't feel like
>doing so. And she has to eat and drink in order to get her strength up. I
>have been cooking and bringing her high calorie comfort foods that are
>compatible with her need for a soft mechanical diet. So far, she likes my
>meatloaf the best. And Sees chocolate.

All the best to you and your Mom.

Ross.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Hi there, everyone.
>
> Just a quick update. Some may have noticed that I haven't posted anything for
> the last two weeks. My mom suffered a series of strokes and I have been out of
> town to be with her and my siblings.
>
> The strokes have left my mom with cognitive functioning intact, but with
> highly diminished gross and fine motor coordination and function. She is too
> weak to walk without assistance, but is able to sit. She is able to talk with
> difficulty, and can be understood though her speech is slurred.
>
> Mom was discharged from the hospital 5 days post-stroke to a transitional care
> facility with the appropriate physical therapy care when it became apparent
> that she was stable, and in no further medical danger. We have been warned,
> however, that her current condition produces an increased likelihood of a
> massive stroke within the next 30 days; a risk which lessens each month that
> passes.
>
> It is very possible that with the physical therapy, mom will be able to return
> home under partial assisted care. I have a single brother who is a manager of
> a Home Depot store who lives in the house with mom (it is our childhood home
> from after my dad retired from the military), and so is able to provide for
> her needs as well. In addition to spending a lot of time with mom, I have been
> remodeling and repairing the house in anticipation of her return home.
>
> I just returned to my home to take care of some stuff here, pay bills, grab
> some tools, and head back to mom. I didn't bother reading the NG 'cause
> there's two weeks worth of unread postings. I just marked everything unread to
> dump the backlog. Sorry if anyone has tried to give me a ping and I missed it.
>
> I feel blessed that Mom is still with us, was not damaged as severely by a
> massive stroke, and that I have more time that I can spend with her.
>
> OB food: Eating and drinking have become difficult hurdles; not so much
> because mom can't eat and drink, but because she simply doesn't feel like
> doing so. And she has to eat and drink in order to get her strength up. I have
> been cooking and bringing her high calorie comfort foods that are compatible
> with her need for a soft mechanical diet. So far, she likes my meatloaf the
> best. And Sees chocolate.
>
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

Bummer! :-(

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>Hi there, everyone.
>
>Just a quick update. Some may have noticed that I haven't posted anything
>for the last two weeks. My mom suffered a series of strokes and I have been
>out of town to be with her and my siblings.

Hey Dave,

Sorry to hear about your Mom's strokes. The good news seems to be
they weren't totally debilitating.

FWIW: My Mom had a stroke 4 years ago which, at least initially,
significantly affected her speech center and also her hand and foot on
her right side. At first, she could not say proper nouns...the names
of people or things. She knew who people were, clearly, but the
connection from the part of her brain that knew I was Pat, to the
place that stored the word 'Pat' was broken...kind of like a computer
database with a broken index....all the data is there, but you just
can't get to it.

Since the initial stroke, she has improved significantly. So much so
that she has, for the past 3 years, been a regular volunteer at the
Stroke Center that originally treated her. She assists with new
stroke victims and also lectures (even with her remaining hesitancy
with some words that still won't come easily).

I mention my Mom's experience and progress to let you know that there
is a lot of hope for recovery for the majority of stroke victims,
especially from their initial state right after the stroke. One of
the largest problems that stroke victims face is depression at not
being able to do things or communicate effectively (if their speech
centers were affected). This is something to be aware of and watch
for(and I am sure the doctors will talk with you about).

Another challenge is often the Physical and/or mental therapy. It can
seem repetative, ineffective and nonsensical at times, but the key is
to keep doing it (and keep encouraging your Mom to keep doing it).
This is one of the major themes of my Mom's lectures to stroke
victims. Often people get frustrated as they don't see the connection
to some little physical or mental excercise, but later on, these
seemingly ineffective excersises make sense....

At any rate, you and your Mom are in our thoughts and prayers. And I,
too, am glad that you still have your Mom around...

Pat
-Chef Juke

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Hi there, everyone.
>
> Just a quick update. Some may have noticed that I haven't posted anything
> for the last two weeks. My mom suffered a series of strokes and I have been
> out of town to be with her and my siblings.

Dave, we sure wish you and your Mom the best. Many of us have been
through times of ailing parents and some of us have even been the
ailing parents ourselves. Just do what you feel is right for her, and
you won't regret it.

Nonny

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
KW KW is offline

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Hi there, everyone.
>
> Just a quick update. Some may have noticed that I haven't posted anything
> for the last two weeks. My mom suffered a series of strokes and I have

been
> out of town to be with her and my siblings.
>
> The strokes have left my mom with cognitive functioning intact, but with
> highly diminished gross and fine motor coordination and function. She is

too
> weak to walk without assistance, but is able to sit. She is able to talk
> with difficulty, and can be understood though her speech is slurred.
>
> Mom was discharged from the hospital 5 days post-stroke to a transitional
> care facility with the appropriate physical therapy care when it became
> apparent that she was stable, and in no further medical danger. We have

been
> warned, however, that her current condition produces an increased

likelihood
> of a massive stroke within the next 30 days; a risk which lessens each

month
> that passes.
>
> It is very possible that with the physical therapy, mom will be able to
> return home under partial assisted care. I have a single brother who is a
> manager of a Home Depot store who lives in the house with mom (it is our
> childhood home from after my dad retired from the military), and so is

able
> to provide for her needs as well. In addition to spending a lot of time

with
> mom, I have been remodeling and repairing the house in anticipation of her
> return home.
>
> I just returned to my home to take care of some stuff here, pay bills,

grab
> some tools, and head back to mom. I didn't bother reading the NG 'cause
> there's two weeks worth of unread postings. I just marked everything

unread
> to dump the backlog. Sorry if anyone has tried to give me a ping and I
> missed it.
>
> I feel blessed that Mom is still with us, was not damaged as severely by a
> massive stroke, and that I have more time that I can spend with her.
>
> OB food: Eating and drinking have become difficult hurdles; not so much
> because mom can't eat and drink, but because she simply doesn't feel like
> doing so. And she has to eat and drink in order to get her strength up. I
> have been cooking and bringing her high calorie comfort foods that are
> compatible with her need for a soft mechanical diet. So far, she likes my
> meatloaf the best. And Sees chocolate.
>
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

Good on you Dave....Momma Bugg has a couple of great sons. Prayers for a
speedy and complete recovery for your mom!

KW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 12, 7:35 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:

<snipped>

Dave,

I'm sure that if asked about her ordeal, your mom would say that in
spite of all the pain, suffering, and fear that she has gone through,
that she has a son who has been there for her, who has been a major
source of strength and encouragement to her, and who has ultimately
helped her survive, and even maintain a positive outlook through
everything! My mom survived 7 brutal years before succumbing to a
hellish cancer, and I , 2nd only to God, was her source of strength
and hope. I know, at least somewhat, what both you and your mom are
going through. Remember, when things seem like they are more than you
can handle, there is a verse in the Bible that says: "God cares for
you, so turn all your worries over to him." (1Pe 5:7)
This certainly helped my mom through the hardest of times, and it
certainly can help both you and your mom! You have my sympathy,
understanding, and prayers! God bless both you and your mom!

JimnGin

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 12, 7:35 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Hi there, everyone.
>
> Just a quick update. Some may have noticed that I haven't posted anything
> for the last two weeks. My mom suffered a series of strokes and I have been
> out of town to be with her and my siblings.
>
> The strokes have left my mom with cognitive functioning intact, but with
> highly diminished gross and fine motor coordination and function. She is too
> weak to walk without assistance, but is able to sit. She is able to talk
> with difficulty, and can be understood though her speech is slurred.
>
> Mom was discharged from the hospital 5 days post-stroke to a transitional
> care facility with the appropriate physical therapy care when it became
> apparent that she was stable, and in no further medical danger. We have been
> warned, however, that her current condition produces an increased likelihood
> of a massive stroke within the next 30 days; a risk which lessens each month
> that passes.
>
> It is very possible that with the physical therapy, mom will be able to
> return home under partial assisted care. I have a single brother who is a
> manager of a Home Depot store who lives in the house with mom (it is our
> childhood home from after my dad retired from the military), and so is able
> to provide for her needs as well. In addition to spending a lot of time with
> mom, I have been remodeling and repairing the house in anticipation of her
> return home.
>
> I just returned to my home to take care of some stuff here, pay bills, grab
> some tools, and head back to mom. I didn't bother reading the NG 'cause
> there's two weeks worth of unread postings. I just marked everything unread
> to dump the backlog. Sorry if anyone has tried to give me a ping and I
> missed it.
>
> I feel blessed that Mom is still with us, was not damaged as severely by a
> massive stroke, and that I have more time that I can spend with her.
>
> OB food: Eating and drinking have become difficult hurdles; not so much
> because mom can't eat and drink, but because she simply doesn't feel like
> doing so. And she has to eat and drink in order to get her strength up. I
> have been cooking and bringing her high calorie comfort foods that are
> compatible with her need for a soft mechanical diet. So far, she likes my
> meatloaf the best. And Sees chocolate.
>
> --
> Davewww.davebbq.com

Hi Dave, my Mom also had a significant stroke about 4 years ago, and
with time, she made good recovery. The first year she didn't even
read, one of her all time favorite things, and hardly watched tv, she
just sat in a chair. She would converse but you had to initiate most
of it. She now reads voraciously again, and after much physical
therapy can walk some with her walker. Her cognative abilities are as
they were pre stroke, and she(89 years old) and her 108 year old
roommate in a Westminster facility talk, and do needle points
together, watch football, and Purdue Basketball, and the Cubs baseball
together. I hope Vera, teaches Mom everything she knows about getting
old. Vera takes no meds except a vitamin!! Her legs just don't work
anymore. She is amazing, and such good company to be around as my Mom
always has been.
Hope this is encouraging to you both. Nan

QUICK, INTO THE FAKEY QUICK Bread Basket Barbecue 0 22-03-2011 04:31 PM
A quick update Dave Bugg General Cooking 14 14-08-2007 02:56 PM
Update Emeril General Cooking 0 01-01-2006 08:00 PM
Update Emeril General Cooking 0 01-01-2006 07:59 PM
Update Mark Lipton Wine 2 31-01-2005 08:13 PM