Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default My First Brisket

In preparation for next weekend's Christmas in July get together at our
place (at which I was originally planning to do my first ever brisket and
pulled pork) I decided to do a test Brisket to see how difficult it was. My
7# slab o' flesh had a nice fat cap but not much marbling (Aussie meat tends
to be on the lean side). I made up a dry rub of garlic powder, onion
powder, paprika, S&P, and some Keens Pepper blend.

The brisket was too big for the BGE so I stoked up one of the Weber's and
smoked it over charcoal and hickory for about 6 hours - kept the temp in the
190-225 range. That took me through until just after midnight. Not wanting
to tend the fire all night I brought it back inside, gave the top a quick
spray of oil, and left it in the oven overnight at ~225. [I know the oven
was poor form, and I expect to cop a bit of flak for it, but I didn't want
to ruin my first brisket while I slept.]

When I woke up this morning, the house had a fantastic aroma. The Polder
was reading 176 internal, so I wrapped it in foil and put it back in the
oven till it hit 188. Total cook time: ~13 hours. It smells great, it
feels soft and tender, fingers crossed...It's now double wrapped in foil and
towels, and sitting in a cooler till the guinea pigs (family members)
arrive.

One thing I noted - everyone says the temp goes up a few more degrees
(carry-over) once removed from the oven and wrapped up. Mine immediately
dropped a couple degrees and has now fallen back to 176 (has been out of the
oven about an hour). At this rate I'm going to have to put it back in the
oven to heat it up again.

Q: If I leave the meat wrapped in foil and set the oven to a holding
temperature of say 180, it won't dry the meat out will it?

--
Pete R
Ormiston, QLD, AU

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"AussieSloth" <aussieslothNOSPAMMERSatyahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> One thing I noted - everyone says the temp goes up a few more degrees
> (carry-over) once removed from the oven and wrapped up. Mine immediately
> dropped a couple degrees and has now fallen back to 176 (has been out of
> the oven about an hour). At this rate I'm going to have to put it back in
> the oven to heat it up again.
>
> Q: If I leave the meat wrapped in foil and set the oven to a holding
> temperature of say 180, it won't dry the meat out will it?

Wrapped in foil there is no place for the moisture to go. I've had good
results wrapping it and putting it in an insulated container and it will
hold the temperature for hours. No additional heat needed.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. net...

> "AussieSloth" <aussieslothNOSPAMMERSatyahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>> One thing I noted - everyone says the temp goes up a few more degrees
>> (carry-over) once removed from the oven and wrapped up. Mine immediately
>> dropped a couple degrees and has now fallen back to 176 (has been out of
>> the oven about an hour). At this rate I'm going to have to put it back
>> in the oven to heat it up again.
>>
>> Q: If I leave the meat wrapped in foil and set the oven to a holding
>> temperature of say 180, it won't dry the meat out will it?

> Wrapped in foil there is no place for the moisture to go. I've had good
> results wrapping it and putting it in an insulated container and it will
> hold the temperature for hours. No additional heat needed.

It's been in the esky now for 2.5 hrs and it's already down to 156.

I've got 8 more hours until dinner time - guess I'm placing it back in the
oven before it reaches the 'danger zone'.

Cheers,

--
Pete R
Ormiston, QLD, AU

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Be sure to tell us how it turns out!

I think a "perfect" brisket has a nice crunchy bark, the fat mostly
rendered out of the point, and a tender, juicy, flat.

Foil will definitely tenderize a brisket through the "steaming" effect
however some say that technique kills your bark (if you want a nice
crunchy exterior).

I hope it is a success!

low-n-slow

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I do the same when it comes to cooking a brisket. I have found when I try to drink beer and stay awake for the full time it does not work. :-)

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician
[...]

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Moe Jones wrote:
> I do the same when it comes to cooking a brisket. I have found when I
> try to drink beer and stay awake for the full time it does not work.
> :-)

Hi Moe, you need to turn off the html.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message

> He needs a real newsreader instead of OE.
>
> -denny-

Why? It takes a mouse click to make plain text the default. Your needs may
differ, but I've never found anything OE could not do for me and it was
FREE.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

No problem.

I had it set for html because I was showing some friends a picture of my new
prosthesis.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Moe Jones wrote:
>> I do the same when it comes to cooking a brisket. I have found when I
>> try to drink beer and stay awake for the full time it does not work.
>> :-)

> Hi Moe, you need to turn off the html.
>
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 10:06:35 +1000, "AussieSloth"
> <aussieslothNOSPAMMERSatyahoo.com.au> wrote:
>

>>"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
y.net...

>>> Wrapped in foil there is no place for the moisture to go. I've had good
>>> results wrapping it and putting it in an insulated container and it will
>>> hold the temperature for hours. No additional heat needed.
>>>

>>It's been in the esky now for 2.5 hrs and it's already down to 156.
>>
>>I've got 8 more hours until dinner time - guess I'm placing it back in the
>>oven before it reaches the 'danger zone'.

> Sounds to me like your cooler isn't very well insulated. (Surely you
> didn't put ice in with the brisket)
>
> -denny-
> --
>
> The test of courage comes when we are in the minority.
> The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.

Firstly, Denny - it was a crap cooler that I was using (no, I didn't put ice
in it). I normally only use it to keep my bait cool when I go fishing but
it was the closest to being the right size for the brisket. I ended up
dropping it back into the oven and held at at about 175 until dinner.

It all turned out great in the end (nowhere nearly as moist as Mr Bugg's
fine offering that I tried). Being a rather lean piece of meat, the far
(narrow) end of the Flat was somewhat dry, but the Point was fantastic -
super-tender and moist. The middle was somewhere in between - definitely
edible.

For sides I did up some beans, texas mustard potato salad, garlic & orgeano
grilled vegies, and garlic toast. To the beans I added the smokey drippings
from the brisket, a splash of hot sauce and the deglazed pan juices.

When my brother, father & MOTHER all went back for their third helping, I
guessed it was not only edible, but enjoyable. Personally, I loved the
moist point flesh far more than the flat.

As for leftovers, I chopped up some of the meat and added it to the leftover
beans and had some on toast this morning (probably enough left for another 3
breakfasts). I still have a pile of chopped moist meat that'll be great for
sandwiches/rolls, and I'm thinking of finely chopping the last of the flat
and putting it on a pizza along with some onion, garlic, and leftover
boconcini cheese balls.

For the Christmas in July shindig this weekend I'll get a couple of brisket
points and forget about the flat. I'll also be doing my first ever pulled
pork - fingers crossed on that one. What with the beef and pork, a turkey
breast and some ribs, I think I've got my work cut out, not to mention some
sides. Lucky I love cooking.

My gratitude is extended to all of you who contributed to the success of the
meal by freely providing so much to this group. Being in Australia there
would have been no other way to gain the knowledge and assistance you have
all provided.

I'll report on next weekend in due course.

--
Pete R
Ormiston, QLD, AU

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"AussieSloth" <aussieslothNOSPAMMERSatyahoo.com.au> wrote:
> "Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message

I'm really glad to hear that your first brisket turned out so well.
Congratulations! If you put the flat farther from the fire, perhaps even
lay some bacon strips on it, it might come out moister. As word of your
success spreads, the price of brisket in Oz may go up. ;-)

~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "AussieSloth" <aussieslothNOSPAMMERSatyahoo.com.au> wrote:
>> "Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
>> > On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 10:06:35 +1000, "AussieSloth"

> I'm really glad to hear that your first brisket turned out so well.
> Congratulations! If you put the flat farther from the fire, perhaps even
> lay some bacon strips on it, it might come out moister. As word of your
> success spreads, the price of brisket in Oz may go up. ;-)
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
>
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! !
> !
> ~Semper Fi~

Thanks for the tip Nick. I did think about laying a pork belly over it, but
decided against it to see what it turned out like on it's own. I may go
with that idea next time.

I paid AU$30 for a 3.5kg brisket. Thats about US$3.75 per pound. What do
you guys pay?

--
Pete R
Ormiston, QLD, AU

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"AussieSloth" <aussieslothNOSPAMMERSatyahoo.com.au> wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> > [ . . . ]

> Thanks for the tip Nick. I did think about laying a pork belly over it,
> but decided against it to see what it turned out like on it's own. I may
> go with that idea next time.

I think it's great that you did your first one as you did. Now ya start
playin'! Keep notes.

> I paid AU$30 for a 3.5kg brisket. Thats about US$3.75 per pound. What
> do you guys pay?

I haven't bought one in a while, Pete. I'm sure you'll get some answers.

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

If you get your briskets in vacuum packed bags you will get even
better results by aging it in the bag in the bottom of the fridge
for 3-4 weeks.
The method of keeping a brisket warm after cooking is FTC, foil,
towel, cooler.
Wrap in foil, overwrap with a big old towel and then place in the
cooler. The towel really keeps the heat in.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Phil Evans wrote:
> If you get your briskets in vacuum packed bags you will get even
> better results by aging it in the bag in the bottom of the fridge
> for 3-4 weeks.

Not for this boy, thank-yew-veddy-much. :-(

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Meat in N America is sold at a far too early stage compared to most
of Europe.

Properly aged meat is far superior.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

FYI

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=7548

Snip>

Can a brisket be aged?

It is not uncommon to age beef, especially of the steak variety. Aging
intensifies the beef flavor and tenderizes the meat. But do people really age
brisket? There are several folks that “wet age” brisket for as long as 3 to 4
weeks. The brisket is kept sealed in its cryovac packaging in a controlled
refrigerated environment between 34* to 38*. This means that it shouldn’t
be kept in a fridge that is opened several times a day. Since the meat
doesn’t dry using this method there is no concentration of flavor but the
brisket should be tenderer when done. A word of caution, aging meat
allows bacteria to do their thing, if conditions are not controlled properly
the meat will spoil and not be fit to eat.
end snip>

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Phil Evans wrote:
> Meat in N America is sold at a far too early stage compared to most
> of Europe.
>
> Properly aged meat is far superior.

Try adding a bit of the text to which you are responding.

By the time a cryo'd brisket hits the shelves, as much as two to three weeks
have passed. You're comment is ridiculous and potentially dangerous.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Phil Evans wrote:

> FYI

For MY information. <snork>

> http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=7548
>
> Snip>
>
> Can a brisket be aged?
>
> It is not uncommon to age beef, especially of the steak variety. Aging
> intensifies the beef flavor and tenderizes the meat. But do people
> really age brisket? There are several folks that “wet age” brisket
> for as long as 3 to 4 weeks.....

A prime example, folks, of where a bit of knowledge can prove to be
hazardous.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Phil Evans wrote:

> FYI

>For MY information. <snork>

Is that above you? get off your high horse! It wasn't even meant
to be a snide comment.

> http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=7548
>
> Snip>
>
> Can a brisket be aged?
>
> It is not uncommon to age beef, especially of the steak

variety. Aging
> intensifies the beef flavor and tenderizes the meat. But do

people
> really age brisket? There are several folks that “wet age”

brisket
> for as long as 3 to 4 weeks.....

>A prime example, folks, of where a bit of knowledge can prove
>>to be

>hazardous.

I find your 'expert' comment to be at variance with most of the
competition cooks and judges.

The real experts say that cryovac wet aging is good for 30 days
after sell by date or 50 days after kill date.

I suggest anyone reading this thread to Google cryovac wet aging
or to visit

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=15245
&highlight=aging+brisket

http://www.scbbqtalk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=723

http://www.travel-watch.com/mortons.htm

http://www.houstonpress.com/2001-08-...ng-with-grace-
and-science/

http://www.facciola.com/faqs.htm

The list goes on if you care to look.

I would also suggest that you Dave also check some things out
before decrying posts.

As in all meat processing there are safety issues to be dealt
with, I would recommend that if you can't meet these standards
you do not attempt this.

The temperature you store the meat at is of prime importance,
get a good quality thermometer to check the refridgerature
temperature.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-Jul-2007, "AussieSloth" <aussieslothNOSPAMMERSatyahoo.com.au> wrote:

> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> > I'm really glad to hear that your first brisket turned out so well.
> > Congratulations! If you put the flat farther from the fire, perhaps even
> > lay some bacon strips on it, it might come out moister. As word of your
> > success spreads, the price of brisket in Oz may go up. ;-)
> >
> > --
> > Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> >
> > Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks !
> > !
> > !
> > ~Semper Fi~

> Thanks for the tip Nick. I did think about laying a pork belly over it,
> but
> decided against it to see what it turned out like on it's own. I may go
> with that idea next time.
>
> I paid AU$30 for a 3.5kg brisket. Thats about US$3.75 per pound. What do
>
> you guys pay?
>

> --
> Pete R
> Ormiston, QLD, AU

I usually see them for US$2.50 to over $3/lb, but I have two in my freezer
that I got for US$1.67/lb. One is 10.5 lbs and the other is 11.5 lbs. Both
quite a bit larger then the one you bought. That 3.5kg brisket must be
from a pretty small animal.

--
Brick(Enforce the law first; change it later if necessary)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Phil Evans wrote:
> Phil Evans wrote:
>
>> FYI

>> For MY information. <snork>

> Is that above you? get off your high horse! It wasn't even meant
> to be a snide comment.

Yes, it is. Especially from someone who seems to have little grasp about
food safety and meat distribution.

>> A prime example, folks, of where a bit of knowledge can prove
>>> to be

>> hazardous.

> I find your 'expert' comment to be at variance with most of the
> competition cooks and judges.

Most? Please, name the competition cooks and judges that store brisket in
the fridge 4 weeks after purchase from the store?

> The real experts say that cryovac wet aging is good for 30 days
> after sell by date or 50 days after kill date.

Wet aging is occuring long before the product reaches the shelves. Your
advice that you can store brisket in your frige for 4 weeks contradicts the
statement you just made. You're method has you holding cryo'd brisket for up
to 8 weeks since the kill.

> I suggest anyone reading this thread to Google cryovac wet aging
> or to visit

.......snip of hastily done google search

> I would also suggest that you Dave also check some things out
> before decrying posts.

Been there, done that, and bought the post card to send home to mama. Now, I
suggest you talk to a health department about hold cryo'd brisket for 4
weeks after purchase.

> As in all meat processing there are safety issues to be dealt
> with, I would recommend that if you can't meet these standards
> you do not attempt this.

Standards??? ROTFLMAO. Apparently your ignorance is your standard.

> The temperature you store the meat at is of prime importance,
> get a good quality thermometer to check the refridgerature
> temperature.

Bwahahahahaha..... spoken like a true food safety hazard in training.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip from your other reply

>By the time a cryo'd brisket hits the shelves, as much as two

to three weeks
have passed.

Get some math lessons Dave.

Your 3 weeks and my 3-4 weeks equals 7 weeks max = 49 days
Is that close to 50 days from kill Dave?
or 4 weeks from sell by date?

Where the hell did you get 8 weeks from? Something you invented
to back up your argument?

You might have to use your fingers. (and toes) to work this one
out.

Prick!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Phil Evans wrote:
> snip from your other reply
>
>> By the time a cryo'd brisket hits the shelves, as much as two

> to three weeks
> have passed.
>
> Get some math lessons Dave.
>
> Your 3 weeks and my 3-4 weeks equals 7 weeks max = 49 days
> Is that close to 50 days from kill Dave?
> or 4 weeks from sell by date?

> Where the hell did you get 8 weeks from? Something you invented
> to back up your argument?

Sorry that you have trouble understanding what you read. Try reading again
S-L-O-W-L-Y.

> You might have to use your fingers. (and toes) to work this one
> out.

Does this finger work for ya?
http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/

> Prick!

Know-nothing wannabe.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip>
end snip>

Explain this to all the readers, have reread and you are still a
prick, I have read S_O_W_L_Y, you are still a prick.

Explain how your math is correct, go on, I dare you, (I thought
this might appeal to your childish attitudes, by the way, did you
queue up for the new Harry Potter book?)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

FYI

If you had bothered to even go to those Google links I gave you,
you would have found the competition chefs and judges you wanted me
to name.

Read the links S_L_O_W_L_Y

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Phil Evans wrote:
> snip>
> end snip>
>
> Explain this to all the readers, have reread and you are still a
> prick, I have read S_O_W_L_Y, you are still a prick.

And you are still a tertiary syphylitic idiot.

You said:

"The real experts say that cryovac wet aging is good for 30 days
> after sell by date or 50 days after kill date".

The 'kill date', can be as much as two weeks from the packing date. The
packing date can be as much as 2-3 weeks from the shelf date. The shelf date
is what is listed when you buy it from the meat cooler. Adding your 4 weeks
of storage in your 'fridge, you've got up to 8-9 weeks sitting in the cryo.

Now, who are all those experts that say it's a good thing to let a brisket
lay around for 8-9 weeks? And where is that list of 'competition cooks' and
'competition judges' that you state make up 'most' of the folks that let
their briskets sit around that long? I know quite a few, and none of them do
this. But of course you know this 'cause you just pulled that tid-bit outta
yer ass.

Now, wave yer Harry Potter magic wand noobie-nobody, and go back to
rec.food.cooking where you can keep mingling with the amateurs.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Phil Evans wrote:
> FYI
>
> If you had bothered to even go to those Google links I gave you,
> you would have found the competition chefs and judges you wanted me
> to name.
>
> Read the links S_L_O_W_L_Y

Keep trying to justify 9 week old brisket, but nothing in the links goes
along with yer stupidity. So go back and read D-O-U-B-L-E S-L-O-W.

Oh, and FYI, I age and sell hundreds of pounds of smoked prime rib each
year. So go try to impress some five-year-olds with your pretend knowledge.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

You wanted to see the comments of a BBQ Judge?

try here

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=15245
&highlight=aging+brisket

snip>

Wayne,

Take a gander here for some info on aging.
http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showth...&highlight=cab <http://bbq-
brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10488&highlight=cab>

The link referred to in that thread is broken from the move.
Ray posted classic gudance on aging in the broken link.
Title was "Here is what I know about brisket", to the best of my memory.

Maybe we can sweet talk Phil into finding it in the old database.

Chad and I wet age as often as we can.

TIM

On edit--just found Ray's post!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=brisket <http://www.bbq-
brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9719&highlight=brisket>

On second edit--went back and corrected reference in the other thread
mentioned above.
"All is well" now
__________________
The "Southern Brethren" BBQ Team Pit Bitch-FBA & KCBS Certified
Judge.
Former owner of a WSM, a Smokey Joe, and the "StudeDera".
Now a Charbroil Commercial Gasser and an FEC100.
NSDQ and SGDM. <http://www.nightstalkers.com/>

So Dave here you have the comments from a KCBS certified judge.

Probably not as good as you though eh?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Phil Evans wrote:
> You wanted to see the comments of a BBQ Judge?

No, I said I want you to prove your absurd comment that 'most of the
competition cooks and judges' age brisket at all, much less fo 9 weeks from
the 'kill' date.

Over the years I've done competition, I've judged, and I know a lot of
competitors. You seem to only know what you selectively read.

Now, tell us all about the competitions that you've been in.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message

> On 23-Jul-2007, "AussieSloth" <aussieslothNOSPAMMERSatyahoo.com.au> wrote:

>> > I'm really glad to hear that your first brisket turned out so well.
>> > Congratulations! If you put the flat farther from the fire, perhaps
>> > even
>> > lay some bacon strips on it, it might come out moister. As word of your
>> > success spreads, the price of brisket in Oz may go up. ;-)
>> >
>> > --
>> > Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
>> > families!
>> >
>> > Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks !
>> > !
>> > !
>> > ~Semper Fi~

>> Thanks for the tip Nick. I did think about laying a pork belly over it,
>> but
>> decided against it to see what it turned out like on it's own. I may go
>> with that idea next time.
>>
>> I paid AU$30 for a 3.5kg brisket. Thats about US$3.75 per pound. What
>> do
>>
>> you guys pay?
>>

>> --
>> Pete R
>> Ormiston, QLD, AU

> I usually see them for US$2.50 to over $3/lb, but I have two in my freezer
> that I got for US$1.67/lb. One is 10.5 lbs and the other is 11.5 lbs. Both
> quite a bit larger then the one you bought. That 3.5kg brisket must be
> from a pretty small animal.
>
> --
> Brick(Enforce the law first; change it later if necessary)

I have to plead ignorance regarding animal size (and standard brisket sizes
for that mater) - I asked the butcher for a brisket and that's what I got.
Maybe it was off a yearling - would that maybe also explain it being very
lean through the flesh?

--
Pete R
Ormiston, QLD, AU

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Phil Evans wrote:
> > snip>

He's already joined KSW and the gang in my Bozo Bin.

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"AussieSloth" <aussieslothNOSPAMMERSatyahoo.com.au> wrote:
> "Brick" > wrote in message

> I have to plead ignorance regarding animal size (and standard brisket
> sizes for that mater) - I asked the butcher for a brisket and that's what
> I got. Maybe it was off a yearling - would that maybe also explain it
> being very lean through the flesh?

Next time ask him for a "packer cut brisket". You might want to Google on
it, so ya can have a picture and an explanation, in case he's not familiar
with the term. I'm a Sichy kid from da Bronx, and I don't speak Aussie,
except for Crikeys, G''day and things not to say to a Sheila! Oh, and put
another Barbie on the shrimp. ;-D

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "AussieSloth" <aussieslothNOSPAMMERSatyahoo.com.au> wrote:
>> "Brick" > wrote in message
>> > On 23-Jul-2007, "AussieSloth" <aussieslothNOSPAMMERSatyahoo.com.au>

>> I have to plead ignorance regarding animal size (and standard brisket
>> sizes for that mater) - I asked the butcher for a brisket and that's what
>> I got. Maybe it was off a yearling - would that maybe also explain it
>> being very lean through the flesh?

> Next time ask him for a "packer cut brisket". You might want to Google on
> it, so ya can have a picture and an explanation, in case he's not familiar
> with the term. I'm a Sichy kid from da Bronx, and I don't speak Aussie,
> except for Crikeys, G''day and things not to say to a Sheila! Oh, and put
> another Barbie on the shrimp. ;-D
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
>
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! !
> !
> ~Semper Fi~

No such thing as a Packer Cut over here Nick. That was the first thing I
asked for and got blank stares by all staff on the other side of the
counter. It's very sad, but this style of cooking is virtually unknown in
Australia. I know of no other person that does smokey low & slow (other
than 1 restaurant in the city - it's apparently quite good but is considered
unique over here - and it's very pricey).

The reason is likely because Brisket isn't something that's eaten over here
as an un-pickled cut. It is only sold as corned brisket or sold to chinese
stores, etc. One place I went to said they couldn't sell me a brisket
because they had an agreement with a Chinese food chain for as much brisket
as they can get hold of. It is never available in a cryovac pack. Any
other Aussie reading this - please advise me if I'm wrong and supply name
and number of the place I can get 'em

I'm basically pushing into an unknown frontier over here as far as home
cooking is concerned - and I'm loving it!!

Oh, and you speak Aussie just fine by the look of it

--
Pete R
Ormiston, QLD, AU

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"AussieSloth" <aussieslothNOSPAMMERSatyahoo.com.au> wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> >> I'm a Sichy kid from da Bronx, and I don't

> > speak Aussie, except for Crikeys, G''day and things not to say to a
> > Sheila! Oh, and put another Barbie on the shrimp. ;-D

> Oh, and you speak Aussie just fine by the look of it

LMAO Crocodile Dundee was my teacher! I thought "put another Barbie on the
shrimp" was purty good.;-D

I hope ya have some good luck finding a packer cut brisket, Mate.

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Now its 9 weeks, the longer this thread goes on the higher your
number gets.

try this link to see that cryovac aging is good for 6 weeks from
packaging date

http://askabutcher.proboards42.com/index.cgi?
board=Beef&action=display&thread=1118265052

snip>Once you know the packing date you can put the meat in your extra
refrigerator at approx 35-36° and leave it alone until it has aged a total of
six weeks.
end snip>

But, these are only butchers, what do they know.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Phil Evans wrote:
> If you get your briskets in vacuum packed bags you will get even
> better results by aging it in the bag in the bottom of the fridge
> for 3-4 weeks.

This boy ain't doing this. You're just asking for spoiled meat.

-frohe

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Phil Evans wrote:
> Now its 9 weeks, the longer this thread goes on the higher your
> number gets.

You keep moving the parameters, bubba, I'm only responding to the additional
information. I gave you the math as you requested, now you pretend that you
haven't seen it.

> try this link to see that cryovac aging is good for 6 weeks from
> packaging date

You keep desperately trying to google for information that has nothing to do
with what you said. That demonstrates just what I knew: you have no actual
knowledge of what you are talking about, but just keep grasping at straws.

> http://askabutcher.proboards42.com/index.cgi?
> board=Beef&action=display&thread=1118265052
>
> snip>Once you know the packing date

Which you won't see on the store label.

>you can put the meat in your extra
> refrigerator at approx 35-36° and leave it alone until it has aged a
> total of six weeks.
> end snip>

My, oh my. You snipped that whole bit out of complete context to desperately
keep from drowning. Let's see what the 'Ask the Butcher' *actually* wrote in
the sentences just previous to the quote that you gave:

"Purchase a whole striploin, rib eye or top sirloin and make sure the
cryovac is still tight. Ask the meat department for the the "packing date"
on the box that it came in. This is VERY important! You don't want to know
the date on the price sticker or the date they got it in....you want the
packing date on the box that it came in. If the date can't be determined,
then find another place to get the meat or wait until their next order and
ask them to save the packing box."

Ya see, folks, just how dangerous this boy, Phil, is?

And yet you keep missing the total picture, 'cause you don't know how the
meat distribution system works. The packing date is what those of us who
purchase wholesale and who order meat by the caseload will see on each case
of cryo'd brisket or butt or rib. There are no labels on the cryos at this
point, 'cause the retailer puts them on prior to setting them in the meat
counter. By the time the butcher or the grocer or I get it, it can be weeks
away from the 'kill' date. None of that is listed on the individual cryo at
the grocer. The house label is slapped on by the retailer with only the date
they put it out, and the 'sell by' date

> But, these are only butchers, what do they know.

They know that they are embarrased and angry that you are screwing with
their information.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 24-Jul-2007, "AussieSloth" <aussieslothNOSPAMMERSatyahoo.com.au> wrote:

> "Brick" > wrote in message
> >
> > On 23-Jul-2007, "AussieSloth" <aussieslothNOSPAMMERSatyahoo.com.au>
> > wrote:

<snipped a ton here>

> > I usually see them for US$2.50 to over $3/lb, but I have two in my
> > freezer
> > that I got for US$1.67/lb. One is 10.5 lbs and the other is 11.5 lbs.
> > Both
> > quite a bit larger then the one you bought. That 3.5kg brisket must be
> > from a pretty small animal.
> >
> > --
> > Brick(Enforce the law first; change it later if necessary)

> I have to plead ignorance regarding animal size (and standard brisket
> sizes
> for that mater) - I asked the butcher for a brisket and that's what I got.
>
> Maybe it was off a yearling - would that maybe also explain it being very
> lean through the flesh?
>

> --
> Pete R
> Ormiston, QLD, AU
> (Also a law enforcer)

I don't know much about briskets either. I know the price and that they
run from about 10.5 to more then 15 lbs around here. Oh yeah, I think
there are two briskets to each animal and they're relative to the size
of the beast. And it's damned good when it's cooked right.

--
Brick(Diarrhea is hereditary; it runs in the genes.)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:51:33 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
> wrote:

> > Your needs may differ, but I've never found anything OE
> > could not do for me and it was FREE.

> How about using filters to filter IN certain items? How about offline
> newsreading? The latter of course is a matter of preferences; the
> former, I and many others find indispensable.
>
> As to cost, XNews is one highly thought of news client which is free.
> So, ftm, is Free Agent--though, granted, it doesn't have capabilities
> which are really desired. (which are of course in the 'full' version)

Over the past few years, cross-posted trolling became such a pain in
the ass that I had to move to a newsreader with more aggressive
filtering. I looked at XNews, and it does have terrific filtering.
However, I just didn't like the user interface that much. I settled on
the somewhat similarly-named XanaNews instead, it's able to take care
of the cross-posting as I desire.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message

>>Why? It takes a mouse click to make plain text the default.

> But it *should* take a click (or some action) to make the default
> OTHER than plain text. This is, after all, a plain text milieu.

Right, that is why I set my default to plain text. Anyone can do it.

> How about using filters to filter IN certain items? How about offline
> newsreading? The latter of course is a matter of preferences; the
> former, I and many others find indispensable.

Never had the need. I can see the twit postings 99% of the time and pass
them over. I've just never seen any features that I'd like to have. I do
very little filtering as it is simple enough to ignore most of the problem
postings.

Choice, Nice to have. I just don't see why the OP needs to change.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

I just don't get brisket Janet Bostwick General Cooking 71 15-10-2014 04:51 PM
Brisket .... how to? Skyhooks General Cooking 52 28-06-2007 02:50 AM
Odd brisket swibirun Barbecue 7 03-03-2007 07:20 PM
Brisket cut? Nancy Young General Cooking 5 14-09-2006 05:41 PM
Brisket versus brisket Edwin Pawlowski Barbecue 6 06-08-2005 12:50 AM